Flying on Southwest?

EbayCruiser

Just check ours and it won't work for us . The price of our flights for Sept. have gone up. Hope they release flights for April soon !

July 21st is when they will release flights after Jan 4th.

If you have flights booked on SW Airlines, check your flights. I had a significant price drop on our airfare today!

Southwest will give you credit when you change your flights!!

Just got a 9 dollar credit last week for my flt in Nov on Oasis always check everyday .

You are correct again. I just saved $100 on flights in December that I purchased a month ago when bookings opened.

clarea, I know you are referring to OB's post in the quote above, but.........

you were also correct about a month ago ....... I was waiting for the openning of bookings for dec.2014 and I asked in a post on a different thread, when to book to get the best prices........ some said, book as soon as they open ..... you wrote that there is no way to figure out when the best time is ( not in those words).

You were right - I booked on the first day ...... prices were not bad but not great ( Delta had a better deal few months back). 3 days later one leg of the flight ( the return flight) went up from 114 to 293 ........ couple days ago the flights which I booked on the first day, went down in price about 10 % from the day when I booked...... even the 293 went down to 103.

So, I guess one never knows when is the best time to book.

Edited by wieslaw

Big change in pricing of a flight on Southwest, from 103 to 293 , TPA to DTW ?

What is the reason for such a big price increase ?

Is it the demand for this particular flight ? If it is, I do not understand why the flight started with 114, went up to 293, few weeks later down to 103 and now up to 293. What drives the change of price on this particular, or other flights .....especially such a big change ?

Big change in pricing of a flight on Southwest, from 103 to 293 , TPA to DTW ?

What is the reason for such a big price increase ?

Is it the demand for this particular flight ? If it is, I do not understand why the flight started with 114, went up to 293, few weeks later down to 103 and now up to 293. What drives the change of price on this particular, or other flights .....especially such a big change ?

This happens constantly. Don't try to figure out the reasoning. No one can.

I live near Norfolk Airport which SW flies out of. When SW brought Airtran, they moved them up the road about 1.5 to Richmond. I have been trying to book a flight for a cruise out of FLL. I have been watching the SW flights out of Norfolk since the day the prices were announced and it has never dropped below $233. Meanwhile, I can drive to Richmond catch a flight for $98 each way. What should I do?? Do you think price could go down at some point?

I live near Norfolk Airport which SW flies out of. When SW brought Airtran, they moved them up the road about 1.5 to Richmond. I have been trying to book a flight for a cruise out of FLL. I have been watching the SW flights out of Norfolk since the day the prices were announced and it has never dropped below $233. Meanwhile, I can drive to Richmond catch a flight for $98 each way. What should I do?? Do you think price could go down at some point?

Price could go down. But will it go down by $135 (the difference between $233 and $98)? Probably not. On the other hand, the $98 is more than likely guaranteed to go up quite a bit over time.

But...how much is your time worth? And how much gas/maintenance/etc.? Let's say it's a 185 mile drive roundtrip @ $0.56 per mile = $103.60, plus your time.

Also, are you set on Southwest? Other airlines fly out of your local airport.

They're not bad at all. I've flown them a few times. But it's hard to be unhappy in Namibia - wonderful country.

Especially with a cold Windhoek in hand. Which I also had in St. Helena (cruise accessible only - no airport!). Beers and airplanes, ain't life grand.

Especially with a cold Windhoek in hand. Which I also had in St. Helena (cruise accessible only - no airport!). Beers and airplanes, ain't life grand.

Gosh, I haven't had a Windhoek in a few years. Isn't it wonderful that the first thing Germans do when they colonize is open a brewery (Namibia, China, etc.)?

Price could go down. But will it go down by $135 (the difference between $233 and $98)? Probably not. On the other hand, the $98 is more than likely guaranteed to go up quite a bit over time.

But...how much is your time worth? And how much gas/maintenance/etc.? Let's say it's a 185 mile drive roundtrip @ $0.56 per mile = $103.60, plus your time.

Also, are you set on Southwest? Other airlines fly out of your local airport.

Thanks for the advice. I have really been torn over this decision. Other airlines are cheaper but still above 350 rt. I don't mind the drive up but I hate returning from a trip and having to drive back.

Our flight on Southwest is "one stop no plane change" - will they let us out of the aircraft during the one stop or do we stay on the plane during the stop ?

I am guessing we have to stay on the plane ........ I am hoping it will not be a lomg stop.

Our flight on Southwest is "one stop no plane change" - will they let us out of the aircraft during the one stop or do we stay on the plane during the stop ?

I am guessing we have to stay on the plane ........ I am hoping it will not be a lomg stop.

Whenever we have had a stop without a plane change we have stayed on the plane.

One of the nice things about staying on the plane during a stop is that you get to change seats. Many times we have been able to get exit row seats during that period. If you get off the plane, you will lose your seat.

Or experience is that the stops are about 30 minutes.

One of the nice things about staying on the plane during a stop is that you get to change seats. .......

Or experience is that the stops are about 30 minutes.

Ocean Boy and clarea, thank you for the quick answer.

I did not even think of the chance to change the seats to get more leg room .... I am 6.2 so the legs appreciate some extra space ...... I remember a flight on spirit from DTW to SJU with a stop in MCO ( no plane change)....... the seat was somewhat uncomfortable and more leg room was needed but I could not change seats ( they were assigned).

Edited by wieslaw

Ocean Boy and clarea, thank you for the quick answer.

I did not even think of the chance to change the seats to get more leg room .... I am 6.2 so the legs appreciate some extra space ...... I remember a flight on spirit from DTW to SJU with a stop in MCO ( no plane change)....... the seat was somewhat uncomfortable and more leg room was needed but I could not change seats ( they were assigned).

While you have a shot at getting an exit row during that layover on Southwest, you'll be competing with many other people most likely...and there aren't many exit row seats on those 737s.

While you have a shot at getting an exit row during that layover on Southwest, you'll be competing with many other people most likely...and there aren't many exit row seats on those 737s.

True. One technique that has worked for us in the past is to sit very close to the exit row if you can't get it on the first leg.