Conde Naste Traveler Top Ten Large Ships For 2014

cruise47

Celebrity Cruise Line had four (4) cruise ships in the top ten large ship ranking for 2014 by Conde Naste. Why are there so many complaints about this cruise line on this board? We have always enjoyed sailing with this cruise line.

Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something (anything). We've always enjoyed our Celebrity cruises & expect we will continue to enjoy them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

because this is Cruise Critic.

Having sailed other lines and being among the cruisers who note things not quite to my liking, I must say that Celebrity is terrific and is my cruiseline of choice.

I appreciate all the other opinions and enjoy even the not-so-nice reviews when they occur. I wouldn't call it complaining exactly. Don't we all read reviews of other products we buy like appliances and then make our choices based on which reviews we most relate to? I don't see it as so negative.

Linda

Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something (anything). We've always enjoyed our Celebrity cruises & expect we will continue to enjoy them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We'll second that - well done Celebrity and very well deserved

1. Disney Fantasy 91.2 Disney

2. Disney Wonder 90.5 Disney

3. Disney Dream 90.3 Disney

4. Celebrity Eclipse 90 Celebrity

5. Disney Magic 89 Disney

6. Celebrity Equinox 88.7 Celebrity

7. Celebrity Solstice 86 Celebrity

8. Celebrity Silhouette 85.9 Celebrity

9. Independence of the Seas 85.6 Royal Caribbean

10. Oasis of the Seas 85 Royal Caribbean

11. Allure of the Seas 84.8 Royal Caribbean

12. Voyager of the Seas 84.7 Royal Caribbean

13. Radiance of the Seas 84.5 Royal Caribbean

14. Diamond Princess 83.8 Princess

14. Ruby Princess 83.8 Princess

16. Crown Princess 83.4 Princess

17. Celebrity Reflection 82.4 Celebrity

18. Jewel of the Seas 82.3 Royal Caribbean

19. Freedom of the Seas 82.2 Royal Caribbean

20. Mariner of the Seas 81.8 Royal Caribbean

because this is Cruise Critic.

I appreciate all the other opinions and enjoy even the not-so-nice reviews when they occur. I wouldn't call it complaining exactly. Don't we all read reviews of other products we buy like appliances and then make our choices based on which reviews we most relate to? I don't see it as so negative.

Linda

Exactly. Thankfully, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Interesting that Reflection isn't among the winners.................

17th out how many hundreds..... not too bad... all five Solstice Class made the top 20! :D

(And I agree, Solstice Class is my favorite... surprised the Royal Princess wasn't on the list... I've heard wonderful things about her)

17th out how many hundreds..... not too bad... all five Solstice Class made the top 20! :D

(And I agree, Solstice Class is my favorite... surprised the Royal Princess wasn't on the list... I've heard wonderful things about her)

And not a single Carnival or NCL ship made the top 20. I wonder why? ;)

Edited by boogs

I wouldn't say "thankfully". I much prefer facts to opinions. Based on what I read on these boards, most opinions have no basis in reality. "Free speech" is only valuable when it reflects the truth.

Reflection is #17.

In reality, how was this poll taken and by whom? There really isn't that much difference between the rankings. What were the items ranked?

Some folks think cruise critic means all they can do is CRITICIZE. While a fair review finds fault and praises success, posts on here seem to lean heavily toward the negative.

We recently had a wonderful cruise on silhouette, where i said "i can't imagine them making this any better" only to read a review on here that made it sound like a horrid experience.

To each his own i guess, but the negativity wears you down after awhile.

in regards to the conde nast article, i would rate the reflection lower than the other s class ships as well, but its almost like dating the runner up to Miss America, still pretty darned good!

The Conde Nast ratings represent a general poll conducted of their subscribers. The ratings undoubtedly reflect the demographic profile of their voting subscribers which I suspect tends to skew on the more affluent side of the curve. The specific methodology isn't revealed so that it isn't clear whether votes cast really represent comparative rankings; i.e. the voters actually cruised each of the lines receiving votes (doubtful) so that the rankings would represent a true competitive ranking. The point differentials between the top contenders is quite narrow and Celebrity clearly stands in excellent stead against what I would call the "Gucci" cruise lines.

Why so many complaints here about Celebrity? Because dissatisfied customers are always more vociferous in their complaints than satisfied customers are with their praise. And, many complaints compared to which other cruise lines? Spend a bit of time perusing the other cruise line forums and you might find that they all have plenty of complainers too. One must devote quite a bit of time to weed through both the complaints and compliments that get posted to public forums like this one in order to get an accurate portrayal of the product. To be sure their are legitimate complaints that deserve to get posted, but I think they are far outnumbered by complaints that come across simply as excessively negative and petty karping.

The Conde Nast ratings represent a general poll conducted of their subscribers. The ratings undoubtedly reflect the demographic profile of their voting subscribers which I suspect tends to skew on the more affluent side of the curve. The specific methodology isn't revealed so that it isn't clear whether votes cast really represent comparative rankings; i.e. the voters actually cruised each of the lines receiving votes (doubtful) so that the rankings would represent a true competitive ranking. The point differentials between the top contenders is quite narrow and Celebrity clearly stands in excellent stead against what I would call the "Gucci" cruise lines.

Why so many complaints here about Celebrity? Because dissatisfied customers are always more vociferous in their complaints than satisfied customers are with their praise. And, many complaints compared to which other cruise lines? Spend a bit of time perusing the other cruise line forums and you might find that they all have plenty of complainers too. One must devote quite a bit of time to weed through both the complaints and compliments that get posted to public forums like this one in order to get an accurate portrayal of the product. To be sure their are legitimate complaints that deserve to get posted, but I think they are far outnumbered by complaints that come across simply as excessively negative and petty karping.

Excellent analysis!

We recently had a wonderful cruise on silhouette, where i said "i can't imagine them making this any better" only to read a review on here that made it sound like a horrid experience.

Right on. It always amazes me to read reviews from passengers on the exact same cruise, one bashing and the other extolling the experience. I have to double check to confirm they are in fact talking about the same ship, the same itinerary, and same dates. Go figure.

Some folks think cruise critic means all they can do is CRITICIZE. While a fair review finds fault and praises success, posts on here seem to lean heavily toward the negative.

To each his own i guess, but the negativity wears you down after awhile.

in regards to the conde nast article, i would rate the reflection lower than the other s class ships as well, but its almost like dating the runner up to Miss America, still pretty darned good!

Don't agree with your statement that 'Posts on here seem to lean heavily towards the negative.'

I believe people posts their concerns and those should be taken as Not Negative postings.

Why would you rate Reflection lower than the other S Class ships? Is it because it is the newest?

People who are unhappy and want to complain, will definitely make an effort to have their voice heard. Those who had a wonderful time, are relaxed and less likely to post anything...

Just like at work...it always seems we hear more bad stuff, but I'm convinced that the good stuff would far outweigh it, it just isn't expressed :-)

My two cents...

Linda

I agree Linda.

Just because something is highly rated, it does not mean it is perfect. The best Celebrity ship ranked 90 which to me means there is room for improvement. Not that many people who have found issues state that they're moving on to other cruiselines. I think that there have been issues brought up by posters for which some Miami staffer has been rapped over the knuckles.

Perhaps those people groaning about people who love to complain have had better website experiences on the Celebrity boards than those who criticize the ongoing "perfection" of Celebrity's IT department.

To be sure their are legitimate complaints that deserve to get posted, but I think they are far outnumbered by complaints that come across simply as excessively negative and petty karping.

Don't agree with your statement that 'Posts on here seem to lean heavily towards the negative.'

I believe people posts their concerns and those should be taken as Not Negative postings.

I also think the negative harping lately is excessive. To be critical of something is one thing, but many of these complaints are petty, while others are obsessive and mean spirited. I would be considered a complainer - just ask my wife - but at least I base my complaints on reality and not on some grandiose illusion of entitlement that many complainers seem to have. If you want my sympathy for your complaint, tone down the rhetoric and present it in a non-emotional manner. The minute you interject emotion into the discussion, you have let the complaint get out of your control. Then, no matter how valid your complaint may be, I have stopped caring about it. My mother, may she rest in peace, would always tell me "No one likes a complainer." She, as always, was right.

Edited by boogs

I wouldn't say "thankfully". I much prefer facts to opinions. Based on what I read on these boards, most opinions have no basis in reality. "Free speech" is only valuable when it reflects the truth.

You do realize that Conde Nast's rankings are opinions too, right? I guess those rankings aren't "valuable" to you either... :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Just another thought

My cruise isn't necessarily your cruise.

On another line, I loved so many things about the cruise but the closet door fell on my foot, the bathroom door lock that I asked be fixed was not and I was locked in for a long time, the toilet broke at midnight and no one bothered to tell us when it was fixed. If I was in another cabin I would have had an entirely different experience, wouldn't have encountered those same uncaring personnel.

On another cruise, I noted the officers did not interact and was assailed by someone on that board who said every officer smiled and greeted her. OK for her, but she was a very frequent cruiser - perhaps she was known and we were new to the line. no one knew us.

On another line, the pillows, bedcoverings, mattresses were so filthy and the room was so smelly I spoke out about it. If another person is in a clean room, they wouldn't have my experience either.

A lot of great people work for Celebrity (and other cruiselines) but sometimes not. Doesn't make sense to doubt someone's experience just because it is different from yours.

Linda

Edited by true45