Good reason to have a passport

DebJ14

Due to work or kids in school...many cruisers cannot fly to the port the day before...however, if they would have to take a connection flight anyway, they could book the last flight of the day out of their departure city to the hub connecting city and the first non stop (0600 am bank) flight day of, to the port city..they then could book an airline distress psgr. hotel rate in the hub city...check with the airline for guidance on how not to "break " or how to "construct" a thru fare

Just because there are back up flights, does not mean there are seats...when flights are cancelled, most airlines have programs in place to snatch up available seats automatically for their high yield, top tier flyers...cruise flyers are generally low yield or on mileage free tickets so there are few if any alternatives.plus the bag connections are sketchy at best.

The "myth" that if you book your air thru the cruiseline they will hold the ship is not a "rule of thumb" that one can count on as a sure thing

The "stress" level of getting to your cruise on the day of is high to begin with...any "hiccup" only multiplies it...in hurricane season there is even greater stress level, when the ship is delayed in returning to it's home port...watch the reaction when cruisers realize they are going to miss their scheduled flight home and are scheduled to go back to work the next day........so....one might want to schedule an extra "optional" (if you need it) vacation day upon their return...at least your job will not add to the stress

What really baffles me is people who fly in the day of leaving for a European cruise! Talk about exhausting and stressful.

As far as people having passports- my dad is 66 and has never had one. Hasn't traveled since the passport initiative went into effect and the only other time he ever left the United States was a land trip to canada in 1980 and when he went to Vietnam. He's getting one now but not everyone can a) afford to leave the country so they don't need one b) some don't want to go anywhere else (my grandfather never wanted to leave the US after he returned from WWII. He hated traveling) c) some just risk it since they can still legally do so.

Hopefully your friends get their money back.

I looked at the Carnival policy and it would have only paid $500 for hotels and transportation costs etc. to catch up. They wouldn't have been able to catch up until the Dominican Republic on Tuesday and would need hotels for 3 nights, meals and airfare. It would have cost them an arm and a leg to do it. I wish that they had third party insurance. I pulled out my Travel Safe policy for an upcoming cruises and I would have $2500 to play catch up. And the insurance company provides 24 hour concierge service to assist with hotels, flights etc. ... .

This is why I always tell people to always get third party insurance, never buy from any cruise line. Limits are too low.

WOW, so sorry for them missing the boat, but as noted, if the plane arrived earlier enough, they could have driven to the port. We try to fly in the day prior when possible, or be on the first flight out that morning. Our cruise in August, it took me to show everyone posts like this to convince them to do everything possible to work out work schedules, etc. to fly in the day prior on a mid afternoon flight.

What does Getaway have to do with it? And do you know exactly why it departed so late?

According to passengers sitting and posting live from the Getaway, it departed late because it was waiting for passengers arriving on that late flight.

It is ALWAYS an option to fly in early. The individual is the one who chooses not to.

No, it's not ALWAYS an option to fly in early. Plenty of people don't have jobs flexible enough to work a half day before vacation, or they can't take an extra day in addition to a week of vacation for a cruise. You seem to have ample leisure time, and that's fantastic for you, but the whole world does not have that kind of time in many cases. My husband cannot just take a half day off of work. My best friend is a teacher, can't just leave work early and can't take a day off because she's going on vacation the next day. So I is not ALWAYS an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another example of why cruisers who fly in should do so the day before the cruise leaves.

DITTO!!!! Forget the passport. Of a cruise left shore without me I'd reschedule, not catch up half way through. How pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I see your point, but if the likelihood of something happening is the determining consideration, then it should be reasonable to think that you don't need any insurance. After all, myself as an example, I am getting upward in age now and have never had any significant medical/travel/theft/auto etc...claims while on vacation.

Most would agree that it would not be a smart conclusion and just agree that I have just been fortunate so far.

You and others have been fortunate, but unfortunately there's a first time for everything. My house burned down, but it wasn't supposed to. Thank God for insurance. My friend had to cancel an air flight (he had to cancel from a hospital room). That wasn't supposed to happen either. For some unknown reason, it was the first time he'd bought insurance, and got a full refund with a doctor's note. So, one never knows when the "first time" will occur.

According to passengers sitting and posting live from the Getaway, it departed late because it was waiting for passengers arriving on that late flight.

That's all fine and very nice of Norwegian to do this, but what if you run into car trouble or 3 flights are delayed, etc.? Should every ship wait for every passenger that is running late? No ship would ever leave at the scheduled time.

That's all fine and very nice of Norwegian to do this, but what if you run into car trouble or 3 flights are delayed, etc.? Should every ship wait for every passenger that is running late? No ship would ever leave at the scheduled time.

Supposedly the passengers had booked airfare though NCL, so the ship waited. Personally I think it's a good gesture. Sorry if it bothers you.

Supposedly the passengers had booked airfare though NCL, so the ship waited. Personally I think it's a good gesture. Sorry if it bothers you.

I agree that is was a good thing that NCL waited given those paxs booked airfare thru NCL. Now, had they had independent flights - no such luck, I would suppose.

Didn't bother me. Just wondering what the normal process is. Makes sense since they booked airfare through NCL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Or airplane..:p

Hurricane Katrina is the best example of why one should purchase insurance..unless your mortgage company required it or you lived in a flood zone....alot of folks did not have flood insurance...because of the levy's failure, it was not covered. under their homeowners insurance policy and of course the major insurance companies played "volleyball" to avoid paying

Despite all the partisan politics about ACA, health insurance is a must...prior to ACA if you had pre existing conditions or was not offered as a group plan (if you were lucky enough not to lose your jiob due to the prolong recession) waking up every morning is like playing roulette with your life

IMHO cruise trip insurance is as much for mental piece of mind as an actual safeguard...when sadly you miss your cruise thru circumstances outside your control, and you are standing at the pier in shock, then in retrospect it does not look like such a bad investment

I see your point, but if the likelihood of something happening is the determining consideration, then it should be reasonable to think that you don't need any insurance. After all, myself as an example, I am getting upward in age now and have never had any significant medical/travel/theft/auto etc...claims while on vacation.

Most would agree that it would not be a smart conclusion and just agree that I have just been fortunate so far.

That I would disagree with. There are many more instances where insurance would be needed than those where a passport would be needed. Plus the cost of not having insurance and needing it could wind up being much, much more than the cost of not having a passport and needing it. IMHO that increased risk makes the travel insurance worth the cost. We have gotten travel insurance since our 4th cruise. Which was fortunate since we ended up using it a couple planned cruises later when my DGM passed away the day before our cruise. It is all a matter of how much risk an individual is willing to take at what cost.

Edited by Warm Breezes

DITTO!!!! Forget the passport. Of a cruise left shore without me I'd reschedule, not catch up half way through. How pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

some have posted on Cruise critic in the past that their insurance claim was denied because they didn't at least make an effort to try to catch up with the ship.

While i don't remember the companies that insured these people I certainly can't afford to just kiss $1500-$2000 away.

Bill

No, it's not ALWAYS an option to fly in early. Plenty of people don't have jobs flexible enough to work a half day before vacation, or they can't take an extra day in addition to a week of vacation for a cruise. You seem to have ample leisure time, and that's fantastic for you, but the whole world does not have that kind of time in many cases. My husband cannot just take a half day off of work. My best friend is a teacher, can't just leave work early and can't take a day off because she's going on vacation the next day. So I is not ALWAYS an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, it most certainly is an "option", to book a cruise that fits into a schedule that allows the ability to fly in the day before. They are choosing to book cruises that are not allowing them to fly in early. A CHOICE being made with the full acceptance of the risks. Yep, I had a job that allowed me all the time off I wanted. My husband had a little less time off. Yes, we were very fortunate.

some have posted on Cruise critic in the past that their insurance claim was denied because they didn't at least make an effort to try to catch up with the ship.

While i don't remember the companies that insured these people I certainly can't afford to just kiss $1500-$2000 away.

Bill

But, if a ship is missed due to a flight delay and the passenger can prove it, why wouldn't the insurance pay it? I can see needing to prove it, otherwise that excuse would be common. To force someone to make plans to catch up, at passenger's own expense doesn't seem reasonable. Not everyone may have the means to do this unexpected expense. Yes, a policy may provide reimbursement, but there must be money up front to be considered.

Due to work or kids in school...many cruisers cannot fly to the port the day before...
No, it's not ALWAYS an option to fly in early. Plenty of people don't have jobs flexible enough to work a half day before vacation, or they can't take an extra day in addition to a week of vacation for a cruise.

Flying in on the day of the cruise is ALWAYS an option. If someone chooses a 7 day cruise when they only have 7 days of vacation, not allowing any room either before or after the cruise, that's completely their choice.

I understand that 7 and 8 night itineraries are more attractive, but how about choosing a 6 night itinerary instead that gives an extra buffer day to get to the port? But I do understand that sometimes people are so focused on that awesome itinerary that barely fits in their vacation time, that common sense will not be factored into their decision process.

The OP's friends situation sucks, but to by brutally honest, it garners very little sympathy from me.

And undoubtedly, next time that someone posts a thread asking about flying in on the same day of the cruise, there will be a poster telling the OP to go ahead! :rolleyes:

Edited by Tapi

Flying in on the day of the cruise is ALWAYS an option. If someone chooses a 7 day cruise when they only have 7 days of vacation, not allowing any room either before or after the cruise, that's completely their choice.

I understand that 7 and 8 night itineraries are more attractive, but how about choosing a 6 night itinerary instead that gives an extra buffer day to get to the port? But I do understand that sometimes people are so focused on that awesome itinerary that barely fits in their vacation time, that common sense will not be factored into their decision process.

The OP's friends situation sucks, but to by brutally honest, it garners very little sympathy from me.

And undoubtedly, next time that someone posts a thread asking about flying in on the same day of the cruise, there will be a poster telling the OP to go ahead! :rolleyes:

I suspect those people thought they had ample time to fly in the day of. There's no hurricanes, snow to be concerned with, and they were on a very short flight from Atlanta. Going a day ahead is ideal, but it was a short flight in the first place. Who would have thought something like this would happen.

I suspect those people thought they had ample time to fly in the day of. There's no hurricanes, snow to be concerned with, and they were on a very short flight from Atlanta. Going a day ahead is ideal, but it was a short flight in the first place. Who would have thought something like this would happen.

Mechanical issues delay flights all the time. We have had it happen multiple times. We had a direct flight from Michigan to Orlando. We had to make an emergency landing in Tennessee due to mechanical issues and were on the ground for over 6 hours. We flew the day before so we had a time cushion and still made our cruise. Even when we drive we plan to get in the day before. Cars break down and accidents happen too. We even had a freak accident where a cooler flew out of the back of a truck in front of us, went over our mini-van and shattered DM's, who was behind us, front windshield. Luckily we weren't that far from the port and had left early enough from our hotel (an hour away) to be able to make our cruise. The windshield was repaired while we were cruising.

Things happen. You mitigate your risks by giving yourself a time cushion. We usually have a very tight time schedule and I make sure those extra days can be fit in, even if it means taking a 4, 5, or 6 night cruise instead of the prefered 7 or 8 night. It is all part of the planning process.

Mechanical issues delay flights all the time. We have had it happen multiple times. We had a direct flight from Michigan to Orlando. We had to make an emergency landing in Tennessee due to mechanical issues and were on the ground for over 6 hours. We flew the day before so we had a time cushion and still made our cruise. Even when we drive we plan to get in the day before. Cars break down and accidents happen too. We even had a freak accident where a cooler flew out of the back of a truck in front of us, went over our mini-van and shattered DM's, who was behind us, front windshield. Luckily we weren't that far from the port and had left early enough from our hotel (an hour away) to be able to make our cruise. The windshield was repaired while we were cruising.

Things happen. You mitigate your risks by giving yourself a time cushion. We usually have a very tight time schedule and I make sure those extra days can be fit in, even if it means taking a 4, 5, or 6 night cruise instead of the prefered 7 or 8 night. It is all part of the planning process.

I know things can happen, I get insurance and I'm only 1 hour from Canaveral and drive there. My thoughts about the stranded people are they likely thought about it being a direct and short flight. I bet their next cruise or trip will include insurance due to the "unimaginable" happening.

I know things can happen, I get insurance and I'm only 1 hour from Canaveral and drive there. My thoughts about the stranded people are they likely thought about it being a direct and short flight. I bet their next cruise or trip will include insurance due to the "unimaginable" happening.

Watch out for those flying coolers :D:eek:. We would never in a million years have dreamed that would have happened to us. Luckily, we were only about 15 minutes from the port when that happened.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Getaway waited as she has two sea days and departed Miami at 7:52 pm instead of 4pm.

Wow is all I can say.

Yes, I watched the POM Webcam and listened to the marine traffic chatter.