Good reason to have a passport

DebJ14

Still waiting to hear if they made it or not. The flight landed shortly before 5pm. They would have had to claim luggage and then the taxi ride to the pier. I watched the ship pull out on the POM webcam (and listened to the marine traffic) about 5:40. It would have been close. The NCL Getaway is holding off sailing for at least another hour as they are waiting on guests. Their Captain said they had to wait 15 minutes after everyone was checked in and the list sent to Homeland Security (interesting) before they could proceed.

The Getaway requested the pilot for 6:45pm.

If people on the flight were supposed to be on the Glory they were so out of luck. They pulled out much earlier.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for them. Do continue to keep us updated.

LuLu

Still keeping my fingers crossed for them. Do continue to keep us updated.

LuLu

They missed the ship. They are in Miami and are flying home tomorrow morning. Neither Delta nor Carnival was any help. Also, Carnival couldn't tell them if flying to catch up to the ship would be covered by insurance. They were told the insurance company is closed until Monday, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever since they are supposed to be available 24/7 to help travelers.

They missed the ship. They are in Miami and are flying home tomorrow morning. Neither Delta nor Carnival was any help. Also, Carnival couldn't tell them if flying to catch up to the ship would be covered by insurance. They were told the insurance company is closed until Monday, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever since they are supposed to be available 24/7 to help travelers.

:( Whine, Deb! So much not what I wanted to hear and feel very sad for all involved.

LuLu

Deb,

Have you thought about posting to Carnival's or John Healds Facebook page about the situation? Seems if they bought Carnival insurance there is some department that would be able to help.

Or perhaps there is an explanation of the policy in their documents?

Sorry that they had to go through this.

Jenn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Deb,

Have you thought about posting to Carnival's or John Healds Facebook page about the situation? Seems if they bought Carnival insurance there is some department that would be able to help.

Or perhaps there is an explanation of the policy in their documents?

Sorry that they had to go through this.

Jenn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival does not administer the policy. They cannot help.

From the policy:

• Where To Report Cancellations & Interruptions:
    Contact your travel agent, Carnival Cruise Lines or the Program Administrator IMMEDIATELY to advise of your situation and to avoid any non-reimbursable expenses due to late notification. The Program Administrator will send you a form that must be completed by you and the treating doctor (if applicable). Instructions will be provided as to what other information may be needed if cancellation/interruption is caused by a non-medical reason. The Program Administrator can be contacted 24 hours a day online at http://www.travelclaim.com or Monday – Friday 8 AM – 10 PM (Eastern) and Saturdays 9 AM – 5 PM (Eastern) by calling 1-800-331-2796 or 1-516-342-2720.

Edited by irishnyc

I looked at the Carnival policy and it would have only paid $500 for hotels and transportation costs etc. to catch up. They wouldn't have been able to catch up until the Dominican Republic on Tuesday and would need hotels for 3 nights, meals and airfare. It would have cost them an arm and a leg to do it. I wish that they had third party insurance. I pulled out my Travel Safe policy for an upcoming cruises and I would have $2500 to play catch up. And the insurance company provides 24 hour concierge service to assist with hotels, flights etc.

IRISHNYC - it is a given that they have to send the list to Homeland Security. But what intrigued me was that he told marine traffic he had to wait 15 minutes after sending it before he could debark. I was told anywhere from 60-90 minutes in advance, not 15.

Things happen. This is very unfortunate. The only way to potentially safeguard yourself from missing a cruise due to transportation issues is to arrive in the port location at least a day early if you don't live nearby. In my opinion, cruiselines should strongly advise this upon booking. I've done it before, but only because I didn't know any better. Never since. Just not worth it if something goes wrong. Passport is important too IMO, but these travelers are going back home - not trying to catch the ship - which is exactly what I would have done. Plus, like I said before, I didn't know ships allow for people to board in the middle of the journey anymore.

Hopefully they will be able to recoup some of the money lost. That IZ what the insurance is for.

What a shame, to miss an anticipated cruise, not to mention the money. But if it were me, I wouldn't turn around and fly home. I'd book a hotel, and have a vacation in FL. Not quite the same thing, but at least something. Unless they need to save vacation days, for a later time.

What a shame, to miss an anticipated cruise, not to mention the money. But if it were me, I wouldn't turn around and fly home. I'd book a hotel, and have a vacation in FL. Not quite the same thing, but at least something. Unless they need to save vacation days, for a later time.

yes...no question. Florida isn't the same as the Caribbean but they do have some beautiful beaches.

I would also have looked at the possibility of taking a short cruise instead.

No way would I just go home

I've read in the past that if you didn't at least try to catch up with the ship that the insurance wouldn't pay.

Never heard of an insurance company being closed and nobody manning the phones for emergencies

Sounds like another untrained CCL employee on the phone.

We have travel guard and I just copied this from my policy.

If you have any questions, please contact our 24-hour World Service Center at 1-800-826-4919

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

I am so sorry they missed the ship and are returning home. It's wonderful they have insurance! Things like this remind me how lucky I am to live in Florida and am able to drive to the ports. I've only done 2 cruises in Europe and I definitely flew in the day before.:D

Can't there be more then one lesson here ? Fly in early AND own a passport !

Stop with this crazy common sense stuff. [emoji39] I will say that we always fly in a day early but I can see where it might not be an option for some unlike getting a passport.

Sent from my Bat Phone

Ditto. I always buy insurance but mostly because of a medical emergency at sea. I can eat the price of the cruise but 40 to 50k for flights off the ship and home would be a disaster. I live so far from the airport that we stay overnight and leave the car there. SO, we fly in that day. Never missed a ship in 20 cruises and only been delayed once due to ice. BUT mostly avoid winter months. And like you we'd just change our plans and vacation at wherever we are since airfare home would be very expensive. ALSO if the ship can wait they will. I've been on ships that waited several hours for late arrivals.

Stop with this crazy common sense stuff. [emoji39] I will say that we always fly in a day early but I can see where it might not be an option for some unlike getting a passport.

Sent from my Bat Phone

It is ALWAYS an option to fly in early. The individual is the one who chooses not to and schedule their time of vacation starting too close to ending work, activities, etc Even people choose flights too close because they are cheaper. All kinds of reasons. In my opinion, there should always be at least 3 more alternative ways to get to a cruise- either it be by ground transportation or alternative air. The problems surface when people wait out and don't jump on the alternative plans. I do admit, I've always had to travel in this mode, and it's a given to always have multiple back up plans ready to act upon. For instance- I was in New Orleans for 2 weeks for Jazz Fest, flights were over sold for at least 3 days. I did wait until the day before- because sometimes the 6am flights open up. It didn't. I checked nearby cities and found Jackson, Miss had 2 flights with open seats. Megabus got me there for $15 for 2, then a cab ride to the airport and home that night. I left for Seattle 4 days later. :) Last year, I couldn't get into Seattle, oversold solid for days. I flew into Portland, and took Greyhound. Finally, in Feb.- storms canceled flights for days. I couldn't get out of Syr. I took Greyhound to Phl, yep took all day, but easy transfer across the street at the Philly bus station to the Airport light rail and on to First Class seats to LAX.

These are just a few alternative ideas that worked perfectly for me, with NO missed cruises. (already been on 8 this year).

Overall, the better prepared you are with alternative thinking and the ability to act quickly- it may save your vacation.

Can't there be more then one lesson here ? Fly in early AND own a passport !

If they had flown in a day early the passport would not be needed. DH and I currently have a passport because our traveling needs have changed....having said that my kids do not. We have all sailed 10 times over 12 years without needing it. Yes there is a risk of needing one, but it is extremely small. In this case the need would not be there if they had flown in the day before....which we always do.

It is ALWAYS an option to fly in early. The individual is the one who chooses not to and schedule their time of vacation starting too close to ending work, activities, etc Even people choose flights too close because they are cheaper. All kinds of reasons. In my opinion, there should always be at least 3 more alternative ways to get to a cruise- either it be by ground transportation or alternative air. The problems surface when people wait out and don't jump on the alternative plans. I do admit, I've always had to travel in this mode, and it's a given to always have multiple back up plans ready to act upon. For instance- I was in New Orleans for 2 weeks for Jazz Fest, flights were over sold for at least 3 days. I did wait until the day before- because sometimes the 6am flights open up. It didn't. I checked nearby cities and found Jackson, Miss had 2 flights with open seats. Megabus got me there for $15 for 2, then a cab ride to the airport and home that night. I left for Seattle 4 days later. :) Last year, I couldn't get into Seattle, oversold solid for days. I flew into Portland, and took Greyhound. Finally, in Feb.- storms canceled flights for days. I couldn't get out of Syr. I took Greyhound to Phl, yep took all day, but easy transfer across the street at the Philly bus station to the Airport light rail and on to First Class seats to LAX.

These are just a few alternative ideas that worked perfectly for me, with NO missed cruises. (already been on 8 this year).

Overall, the better prepared you are with alternative thinking and the ability to act quickly- it may save your vacation.

I'm sorry but some of us just aren't as worthy so that's why we buy insurance. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they had flown in a day early the passport would not be needed. DH and I currently have a passport because our traveling needs have changed....having said that my kids do not. We have all sailed 10 times over 12 years without needing it. Yes there is a risk of needing one, but it is extremely small. In this case the need would not be there if they had flown in the day before....which we always do.

I see your point, but if the likelihood of something happening is the determining consideration, then it should be reasonable to think that you don't need any insurance. After all, myself as an example, I am getting upward in age now and have never had any significant medical/travel/theft/auto etc...claims while on vacation.

Most would agree that it would not be a smart conclusion and just agree that I have just been fortunate so far.

I'm sorry but some of us just aren't as worthy so that's why we buy insurance. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The POINT, is, in situations of possibly missing a ship- to consider alternative routes that may save your trip. My "wealth" has nothing to do with it.

I looked at the Carnival policy and it would have only paid $500 for hotels and transportation costs etc. to catch up. They wouldn't have been able to catch up until the Dominican Republic on Tuesday and would need hotels for 3 nights, meals and airfare. It would have cost them an arm and a leg to do it. I wish that they had third party insurance. I pulled out my Travel Safe policy for an upcoming cruises and I would have $2500 to play catch up. And the insurance company provides 24 hour concierge service to assist with hotels, flights etc.

IRISHNYC - it is a given that they have to send the list to Homeland Security. But what intrigued me was that he told marine traffic he had to wait 15 minutes after sending it before he could debark. I was told anywhere from 60-90 minutes in advance, not 15.

Carnival insurance is inexpensive for a reason - minimal coverage.