Celebrity Deception?

ginak1112

Let me first say that my daughter and I had a great time on our British Isles cruise aboard the Infinity! A few minor changes to Celebrity over the years but, all in all, we were fairly happy.

The question I pose is to whether or not I was deceived when booking Aqua Class. I had never tried AQ and decided to give it a try. At first I was about to book my usual Verandah room but thought I would splurge a bit. The picture that I saw when booking was that of a NEW AQ room, the one with the white couch. I had read that the Infinity had been solsticized and that brand new AQ room cabins were added to deck 11. Those cabins on deck 11 were more money and I assumed that was because they were very new. I looked at both classes of AQ rooms and saw the identical picture so I assumed that all AQ cabins would look like that. I chose a guarantee and didn't care which deck I got, 9 or 11.

When we entered our cabin, room 9110, we first noticed that our door was marked as Concierge class. Inside was the identical room that you see when looking at the veranda or concierge class room. It had the red sofa couch, same desk, furniture, duvet, etc. The only difference I could see was in the bathroom where they put the jets into the existing old shower. I'm not sure what the bedding was supposed to be in this class but our bed was very firm with no additional pillowtop, etc.

I know that this is a negative post and I am not a negative person. I did not even bother going to complain to guest services, etc. I am an Elite CC member and travel on other cruise lines as well. I was not going to put my daughter and I into a bad mood when we had been looking so forward to our vacation. My point was that with the exception of BLU, there wasn't much difference to that of a regular Veranda room. We didn't have time for the Persian garden, and it wasn't much of a draw for us; the Equinox had a much nicer one with a beautiful view. This one was dark and dreary.

Had I known that the room was basically the same as a Veranda, I might not have chosen it. I would have saved a lot of money. There was no comment card in our cabin as there has been on every single one of the 40+ cruises I have been on. I would have liked to let them know about this. Was I deceived by Celebrity?

Edited by ginak1112

We have not sailed on an M-Class, but for us at least, on the S-Class there is no reason to book Aqua except to dine in Blu and the extra CC points. Yes there are couple of things in the cabin that are different but the size is the same, just see no point. Never assume on a GTY cabin.

ps: the comment card now comes in an email 7-10 days after you return.

Edited by wallie5446

You booked a Guarantee room. There is nothing attached to that booking that says you will get one of the newly built room, or a refurbished room, or what the furnishings will look like.

Many posters have pointed out that the primary draw of Aqua Class is BLU as your dining assignment.

The fact that you did not avail yourself of the Persian Gardens would have to be considered your choice.

I really don't see the deception. I am often critical of Celebrity's use of stock photographs which aren't accurate. Others here have pointed out that they should not be used as a deciding factor. The verbal descriptions of the room are generally accurate, so you should have been able to see what you were getting.

They should have also explained, via the Daily, that they are no longer handing out printed comment cards. If Celebrity has a valid e-mail address for you, you should receive your comment cards electronically. Perhaps you should look in your Trash or Junk mail to see if you have overlooked the comment card, or misidentified it as an advertisement.

BLU is the only reason we book AQ. For us...it's worth every penny. I think that is how most feel who stay with aqua class. I find the white sofa hard as a rock, but understand why they changed to the new style.

Edited by 20pluscruises

The main reason to travel AQ is for Blu and for the Persian gardens. On the M class ships, the cabins were converted from Concierge class. They added the shower panels and glass shower doors. The cabins are slightly larger (20 sq. feet) than regular verandah cabins. You get daily bottled water, tea, fruit and canapés. Sparkling wine on arrival.

I don't see where any "deception" comes in. My guess is that an AQ guarantee was a pretty good price. The fact that the picture was of an "S" class ship and you were on an "M" class ship simply meant a different room configuration, wider but shorter, and a more traditional style of couch. You should know by now that the pictures you see in ads are often not identical to every room in a given category. This is true for ships, hotels, etc.

I have been back several weeks and have not seen a comment card. I receive mail from Celebrity almost every day about promotions, etc. but no card. I always check junk mail as well. And no, I wasn't told about this new way to receive a comment card.

I should have also mentioned that I spoke to customer service before I booked and inquired about the differences in the 2 classes of AQ cabins. I was told that the only difference was that the cabins on deck 11 were BRAND new and added to the ship when solsticized and that deck 9 would look IDENTICAl but were older cabins.

I understand that rooms can look different in photos but after looking at the pictures online, there was a certain assumption that I had when booking. The rooms on deck 9 don't remotely resemble the rooms on deck 11.

I just think that Celebrity should put the correct photo with the different categories. All of the other photos of the different cabins are correct.

I have been back several weeks and have not seen a comment card. I receive mail from Celebrity almost every day about promotions, etc. but no card. I always check junk mail as well. And no, I wasn't told about this new way to receive a comment card.

I should have also mentioned that I spoke to customer service before I booked and inquired about the differences in the 2 classes of AQ cabins. I was told that the only difference was that the cabins on deck 11 were BRAND new and added to the ship when solsticized and that deck 9 would look IDENTICAl but were older cabins.

I understand that rooms can look different in photos but after looking at the pictures online, there was a certain assumption that I had when booking. The rooms on deck 9 don't remotely resemble the rooms on deck 11.

I just think that Celebrity should put the correct photo with the different categories. All of the other photos of the different cabins are correct.

What were the differences besides the sofa? Ooops...I see the furniture and bedding.

Edited by 20pluscruises

This is the room that we had:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/images/cel_fleet/ship/cel_infinity/staterooms/CEL_CS_Concierge_460x256.jpg

This is what is advertised for both classes of AQ:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/images/cel_fleet/ship/cel_eclipse/staterooms/CEL_SL_Deluxe_Cat1A_460x256.jpg

It was just a surprise as we were expecting the newer look. I know it was an AQ guarantee and could have been an older refurbished cabin or the brand new cabin. Honestly, I wasn't that crazy about the newer one on deck 11 as I have heard about vibration, etc.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/images/cel_fleet/ship/cel_infinity/staterooms/CEL_CS_Concierge_460x256.jpg

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/images/cel_fleet/ship/cel_eclipse/staterooms/CEL_SL_Deluxe_Cat1A_460x256.jpg

It was just a surprise as we were expecting the newer look. I know it was an AQ guarantee and could have been an older refurbished cabin or the brand new cabin. Honestly, I wasn't that crazy about the newer one on deck 11 as I have heard about vibration, etc.

I do like the bed near the balcony!!!

I'm nedd to read through better...AQ on deck 11 is a higher price compared to deck 9.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Did your room have the closet area with drawers inside? I sailed on deck 9 when those cabins were classified as Concierge and really preferred that setup over the bins mounted above the bed that the S-Class ships have now. I purposely chose deck 9 AQ for an upcoming cruise on the Summit because I wanted the shade and the protection from the rain that the overhang provides on the balcony, but I'm more excited now to realize that the cabins still have the M-Class storage setup.

I find both photos show the same bedding. Personally, neither photo is offensive to my eye and don't look dated.

You booked a AQ Guarantee and got an A2. The AQ cabins on deck 11 are all A1 cabins and a higher price. A guarantee is a guarantee. You are paying a lower price than if you had booked a specific cabin and therefore get what you get. You can switch cabins within the same category once assigned a cabin, but can not go from an A 2 to a A1. This has been a long standing rule and no deception. Always best to check on Cruise Critic before booking a cabin, or in the case of a Guaranteehen the cabin is assigned. A good lesson for all.

You booked a AQ Guarantee and got an A2. The AQ cabins on deck 11 are all A1 cabins and a higher price. A guarantee is a guarantee. You are paying a lower price than if you had booked a specific cabin and therefore get what you get. You can switch cabins within the same category once assigned a cabin, but can not go from an A 2 to a A1. This has been a long standing rule and no deception. Always best to check on Cruise Critic before booking a cabin, or in the case of a Guaranteehen the cabin is assigned. A good lesson for all.

I am no debating the A1 vs the A2 as related to the guarantee. My point is that when you go to book EITHER cabin, A1 or A2 or guarantee of AQ class the new picture is the one that comes up in ALL categories. They do not show the older cabin. I am not discussing whether or not the other picture looks dated, etc. it's just a totally different looking cabin with different bed position, more modern looking, etc. I was also told that they looked identical by customer service. If I hadn't read CC I wouldn't have known that deck 9 were older cabins and that 11 were added. It doesn't say when booking.

It would be like me purchasing a Mercedes but an Acura is delivered instead. Yes, an Acura is nice but it's not what I thought I was buying, LOL.

The A1 cabins on the "M" class ship don't look like the picture any more than the A2 cabins do. They are new builds, but to the M class standard (wider and shorter) all with beds near the bath. The picture (which is shown with all AQ cabins, is of an "S" class room. No cabin on the M class ships looks like that.

The important thing is that all amenities for AQ appeared to have been in place for the OP. If they wanted the "brand new" cabins, they should have paid for the A1 instead of the guarantee!

The A1 cabins on the "M" class ship don't look like the picture any more than the A2 cabins do. They are new builds, but to the M class standard (wider and shorter) all with beds near the bath. The picture (which is shown with all AQ cabins, is of an "S" class room. No cabin on the M class ships looks like that.

The important thing is that all amenities for AQ appeared to have been in place for the OP. If they wanted the "brand new" cabins, they should have paid for the A1 instead of the guarantee!

And I may have done that had I known. The point I am making is that I had no way of knowing that! I saw both categories with the identical pictures so I called customer service. I was told that they look identical but that A2 were newly built. Everything else looks the same and as the pictures show. She even suggested the guarantee if I didn't care about which deck I would be on.

The average cruiser may not look at CC and would assume that the pictures from the cruise line website would be accurate. That's all I'm saying.

Be glad you had the red sofa. Those white ones are hard as a rock and only have an arm at one end. They are quite uncomfortable to sit on for any length of time.

Garry

For ages, and maybe still, the picture of the FV rooms on the S class ships on the X website showed the M class FV rooms. I wonder if people who booked S class expecting that were unhappy when they found a 575 sqft room with two separate bedrooms, and a huge living/dining area?

The X website is notoriously unreliable. Doesn't seem too hard to get the right pics in there.

On the other hand, I do have to take issue with the OP's claim that her room looked 'nothing like' the deck 11 rooms. Other than the color of the sofa and some different wall hangings, they look identical to me, and certainly are the same size.

Edited by CathyCruises

We just got off the Connie on Monday. We were in an AQ cabin on Deck 11, and it looked exactly like the ones on Deck 9. I didn't expect the cabin to look like an AQ on a Solstice class ship...I'm a pretty obsessive researcher, and I found that out quickly. Sorry you were disappointed.

I can see where you feel deceived, especially if you were hoping for a cabin that looked like the one in the picture. Unfortunately the use of stock pictures seems to be a fairly common practice among cruise lines...I can think of numerous examples.

Edited by Cindy

Sorry you found out the hard way that cruise line website pictures are often inaccurate. Its my observation that most cruise lines only list 1 photo per cabin type regardless of how many variations actually exist across the fleet.

For future cruises may i suggest thoroughly researching here on CC and another great website I use is http://www.cruisedeckplans.com . For a small one-off membership fee you can access pictures that people have taken of their cabins and if you can't find the exact cabin number you are looking at you can usually find one very close by.

Cheers

Ando

In over 40+ cruises on many different lines I have never had a room that didn't look like what I was expecting it to look like. I have always found the pictures to be fairly precise. Oh well...

Edited by ginak1112

There is a simple answer: Only show diagrams, not pictures. Of course they would need to show every variation, like bed at balcony bed at bathroom. All variations would need to be noted.and of course a disclaimer that the. Diagrams are only representations and there might be differences in the actual cabin selected.

It's the point of getting what you paid for. Maybe I didn't care about BLU, the Persian Gardens, water bottles, etc. on an older boat maybe I was looking for a sleeker more modern look than the classic cabin. I thought that AQ class cabins had a certain distinguished look to them ( the same look I have seen when they are advertised).

I will use my ridiculous analogy again: what if you purchased a certain Mercedes and an Acura model was delivered to you instead? Yes, it's lovely; it may even have more bells and whistles than the Mercedes, but it's not what you bought.

FYI: If you don't like Blu and the other AQ amenities make sure NOT to book AQ on an S Class ship. They are poorly located. Supporting beams may affect your view. Washing equipment blockers the view of a few cabins. There is often noise from above. In joy the amenities so willing to suffer the location. Don't say you haven't been warned.