Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

I also just disembarked yesterday. There were some minor (but visible) staffing "hiccups" with the F&B staff early in the sailing but much of it appeared to be due to guest flow. Staff responded as quickly as they could to rushes of passengers to particular spots (sudden sun and an early pool rush in a sleepy port or a large influx to The Club or Observation Bar). There were a handful of small groups too and that may have affected flow.

On the first two nights, the Restaurant was utterly packed in the first 30 minutes. On the second formal night, there was actually a line to be seated that took several minutes. On nice days, the Patio Grill was jam packed from open to close. We only made it off the wait last for Restaurant 2 the final night. It felt like much of the ship was out and about in the public areas.

I would not have minded breakfast in the Restaurant once or twice and was surprised to see it closed then. I was not surprised about lunch as we were in port all but one day and that was the day of the Galley Market Luncheon.

My wife and I have also just returned from 7 days aboard the Odyssey.

We were extremely dissappointed to find that the restaurant was closed for Breakfast every day, and the only time it was opened for lunch was the Galley lunch. Particularly on a sea day it was difficult for people to find seating, bearing in mind the inclement weather that did not allow guests to sit outside.

While this might soon the vast majority, we consider that a 6 star ship should offer the option of a full waiter service for these meals.

Whilst having a little moan, we were in suite 827 and suffered badly by the continual banging of the service doors opposite our suite. Complaints to the Guest services Manager fell on stony ground.

Im curious - what was your itinerary? I know in the Caribbean Seabourn kills the restaurant for lunch but I've never heard of it being closed for breakfast (but then I've only been on the wee sisters).

Its a pity that after re-reading this thread the only conclusion I can draw is that some people don't quite understand luxury.

I am going to assume that this comment is directed at me. Sorry, luxury means different things to different folks. Just because my definition doesn't fit yours doesn't mean mine is wrong. I sail SB for comfortable suites with attentive service and especially attentive service with a personal touch. Waiter service doesn't equal luxury or class. Believe me I have been to many a banquets/weddings where i am served by a white gloved waiter and if you look beyond the surface it just comical. I am not saying that one definition is right or wrong, just don't look down your nose at others who define luxury a different way. Just look back to the 1920s where if you didn't wear white tie and tails to dinner and instead opted for a black tuxedo you might as well have been in resort wear.

Please show me in the dictionary where it says luxury only equals your definition, which apparently equals white gloved waiters standing at attention waiting to sweep your crumbs and never address you as anything but your formal last name with a title, but I guess I wouldn't expect anything less from someone who poses as an "emperor" please do tell me the name of your kingdom which you reign.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

I am dissapointed with some of the comments just posted. I agree that we all have our own points of view, but there just isnt any need to attack individuals for speaking thier minds.

Yes, we have completed several Seabourn cruises, as well as all the other 'luxury lines'. I certainly wouldnt say that we are set in our ways.

The only point I was trying to bring to the attention of others, is that on our 7 days Black Sea Odyseey cruise, on not one occasion was the Main Dining Room open for Breakfast (even Disembarkation day) and only open for the Galley lunch (Buffet) on the one day.

I travel with Seabourn for many reasons, but predominantly the food and service. I do not consider that a Seabourn luxury cruise is Buffets all the time, and if that trend continues, then we shall go elsewhere. I have always paid the future deposit whilst on board, but did not do so on this occasion.

If we are, as has been suggested in the minority, then fair enough, but there is no reason why they couldnt open the Restaurant 2 for Breakfast and lunch with waiter service, which only has a limited number of tables, but is serviced from the same Galley as the Collonade, and only using a small number of staff.

'

I agree that times are changing, but is alienating those people who have been 'stuck in their ways ' and supported Seabourn throughout the rough periods the right approach?

Its a pity that after re-reading this thread the only conclusion I can draw is that some people don't quite understand luxury.

Luxury means different things to different segments of travelers. I quite like the way Seabourn defines it and don't know that I'd relax on a cruise that was too stuffy. I picture Cunard and their caste system when I read some posts.

I will say that I've been relieved to discover that the percentage of passengers who are boorish and snobbish are much lower than what I expected from my time on Cruise Critic. Either that or Seabourn provides a truly luxury level of experience (my definition of it anyhow) by working discretely but efficiently to keep the oil and water separated.

That said, I can understand some passengers wanting to eat their minute steak or omelette on a white tablecloth at breakfast or lunch and be able to do that surrounded by the others on the ship that wish to do the same. In a way, it creates a segregation that perhaps wouldn't be so bad for the rest of us heathens.

Whilst demographics may play a part in Seabourn's latest measures on 7 day cruises this looks like straightforward cost cutting as is the removal of the early bird coffee etc. Once the triplets are out the way we are likely to see more of this and choices we have come to expect on Seabourn will slowly be reduced until it becomes little more than a more upmarket brand of HAL.

In the relatively short time that DW and I have been sailing Seabourn, this trend has become more and more apparent (to me at any rate). One of the things that has prompted us to take a cruise on the little sisters every year for the last five years was the sense of personal space, the lack of crowds and the relaxed stress-free atmosphere.

The Patio Grill jam packed from open to close - the rush to get to the Colonade early enough to grab an outside table - waiting in a line to be seated for dinner: these all smack of mass market to me. I await our first cruise on a Big Sister with mounting anxiety and trepidation. Fortunately it is not a 'pile it high, sell it cheap' 7 day Med quickie.

Sadly I have to agree with the quoted poster, based on my own experiences over the last few years and regularly reading through the posts on here. Slowly but surely, little by little, Seabourn IS being transformed into an upmarket HAL.

Back to the food on Odyssey. Is it me or did the menus seem MUCH more beef intensive with the addition of the Double R Ranch marketing? I felt like I'd find cows down on Deck 2 if I looked for them!

Yes, I agree: Legend last December - noticeably more beef intensive menus, little less variety and choice overall, a little more rechauffe-style reworking of previous day's ingredients. However, a much improved vegetarian selection in terms of choice and execution. Although not Veggies by any stretch of the imagination, we often chose from the Vegetarian options and found them to be both imaginative and excellently prepared.

Edited by Flamin_June
apostrophe added

However, a much improved vegetarian selection in terms of choice and execution. Although not Veggies by any stretch of the imagination, we often chose from the Vegetarian options and found them to be both imaginative and excellently prepared.

I'm with you - that's often where I go first now on the menu as the selections seem to trump other options.

I was surprised in this sailing to find that the Colonnade had some of the best dishes I had on the cruise - they were at lunch available for table orders only (and not on the standard minute steak, burger hot dog menu). That's certainly softened the need to go down to The Restaurant at lunch.

From a workflow perspective, I think another variable on this cruise was not being able to effectively plan for ports and who would be off/on at certain times. For example, we docked in Sinop from 7 am to 3 pm. There were still healthy quantities of folks having breakfast at 9 am and likewise, a lunch rush at noon. Likewise, very few folks were off for more than a couple of hours in Constanta despite a 13 hour docking.

Staff still get a few hours off here and there and it's hard to plan for that without estimating what the on/off ship numbers will look like. If they are wrong either direction then they are either over or under staffed.

Edited by jenidallas

One other comment that may not be well-received....

I sometimes think Seabourn does itself a disservice with its marketing in that many guests (particularly first timers) have been sold a huge bill of "signature" expectations - not only a Captains Welcome Dinner and a Chef's Dinner but also a Galley Market Lunch and Caviar in the Surf and Marina Day and Rock the Boat and an Epicurian event and Shopping With the Chef daily tea and trivia and the list goes on and on. It's a lot to cram into a week!

I recall many (first-time) passengers complaining on the Baltic cruise last year that there was no marina day or Caviar in the Surf. The staff put on a Caviar in the Pool to appease them. The problem was that they see these things in the brochure, they are talked up by travel agents, blogged about, photographed, and hashed out on forums like these. And then they set a bar that they are everyday things so the staff has to find a way to make the special things ordinary - and someone gets disappointed in the end... the long timers who see things so diminished and the newcomers who have a high bar to begin with.

An example - the Club party is pretty silly at this point. When everyone (okay - 50% plus of the passengers) is in the Club, how can Seabourn possibly make everyone feel special at that event?

And on that note - I have not seen a single Massage Moment in 24 nights on Seabourn this past year. Why is that so prominently featured in the brochure?!

We have never had lunch in the Restaurant....(not even the galley lunch) - but I like it that other people have the option so it reduces the numbers looking to eat at the Veranda/Collonade.

Only ever had breakfast in the MDR once - when there were no tables free in the Veranda - less than a dozen people down there but service was S - l - o - w.

I take your point about on/off ship numbers. It's great when almost everyone is off and one has the ship to ones selves. Not so great when everybody else has the same idea, or three tour coaches all return at the once at lunchtime.

Never been offered a Massage moment, despite spending much time on Deck - only witnessed it once, delivered to just one passenger.

Never had Caviar in the Surf either, though we have had it cancelled three times. I don't actually believe it really happens - all the photos are just fakes (you know - like the moon landings :rolleyes:). Just as well as I prefer my caviar on a plate.

Not quite certain why all of the snarky comments about anyone who wishes to dine in the MDR for B/L. The idea that it is about white tablecloths is off. As Jenidallas notes, some of her best meals were the daily specials, cooked to order In the Colonnade. The cooked to order aspect is essential to the MDR. No one is suggesting closing the patio/Colonnade, simply a return to having the MDR open!

I agree about the brochures, signature moments and heightened expectations. Each line needs to deliver on what they advertise. Actually we have had our shore side 'caviar in the surf' cancelled a few times

[due to weather] but always replaced by caviar in the pool [as seen above]. My impression was that many got into the mood/spirit if not into the water. The 'epicurean event' seems to have severely shrunken, diminished or reduced each subsequent cruise. I think that the brochure needs to clarify marina day as it is unlikely to take place in the Baltic,etc....also agree re: the [unseen] massages.

Edited by PaulaJK

My impression was that many got into the mood/spirit if not into the water. The 'epicurean event' seems to have severely shrunken, diminished or reduced each subsequent cruise. I think that the brochure needs to clarify marina day as it is unlikely to take place in the Baltic,etc....also agree re: the [unseen] massages.

In the Baltic last year, I witnessed my first caviar in the pool event. I was expecting it to be a somewhat low key affair, after seeing caviar in the surf. However, the guests in the pool were more giddy than I've seen at caviar in the surf!

The epicurean event on Sojourn in March was a first for us, and we were somewhat disappointed. I think you were also on that cruise, what did you think of it?

I've never seen the massages either.

Not quite certain why all of the snarky comments about anyone who wishes to dine in the MDR for B/L. The idea that it is about white tablecloths is off. As Jenidallas notes, some of her best meals were the daily specials, cooked to order In the Colonnade. The cooked to order aspect is essential to the MDR. No one is suggesting closing the patio/Colonnade, simply a return to having the MDR open!

It is about the white table cloth stuffiness for the original poster here. The Colonnade had a menu of plated meals separate from the buffet that was enhanced since the MDR was closed. The only difference now is that they aren't in the MDR with a tuxedo waiter. I don't get this "I am special, I need to eat in a 400 person dining room alone so my ham and eggs feels special" attitude. Since the MDR was closed for the B/L meals Seabourn accommodated those who preferred a plated meal served at the table by creating an enhanced menu beyond the standard lunch menu items that are typically ordered of burgers/fries and added many specialty menu lunch items not on offer of the buffet.

In case anyone is reading this and has images of nasty banquet dishes being out for hours with huge casseroles. It should be noted that the chafers were small and had only small portions in each. They were constantly replenishing with fresh items. The cold bar consisted of salads, cold cuts, fruit cups and a nice selection of desserts. Also one day they had a leg of lamb at the lunch carving station and it was to die for yummy. I looked at Jenidallas' menu plated lunch and knew that my "buffet lamb" was the far better choice as it was tender juicey and seasoned to perfection.

It is about the white table cloth stuffiness for the original poster here]

Nolatravelgirl, I believe that you are misreading the original post and all those supportive comments since. Perhaps we should agree that you like buffets and we do not!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nolatravelgirl, I believe that you are misreading the original post and all those supportive comments since. Perhaps we should agree that you like buffets and we do not!

s

Agree to disagree. I appreciate the snooty look down your nose. There was no mass mutiny on the Colonnade from passengers looking to hogtie the F&B Manager for not opening the MDR for breakfast/lunch so I think there is a very small population on board who would consider this an egregious sin on SB part worthy of dropping SB as a future carrier and now dropping SB to the service level of a mass market line. As stated there was plenty of plated menu items that WERE NOT BUFFET. How much clearer can it be made that the Colonnade and Patio Grill both offered a full menu selection with the only difference from the MDR being a tuxedo waiter and a white table cloth?

Please point out where I stated that I only eat with the pigs from the Carnival trough with the pushers and shovers as you point out is the only buffet available. I did eat at the buffet on occasion, but half the time I ate from the plated menu that was brought to me by a server. You act as though the only food now available at lunch is a trough of muddy greasy garbage that only is fit for the cows who are being stored on Deck 2 to from the Double R Ranch.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

Agree to disagree. I appreciate the snooty look down your nose. There was no mass mutiny on the Colonnade from passengers looking to hogtie the F&B Manager for not opening the MDR for breakfast/lunch. As stated there was plenty of plated menu items that WERE NOT BUFFET. How much clearer can it be made that the Colonnade and Patio Grill both offered a full menu selection with the only difference from the MDR being a tuxedo waiter and a white table cloth?

Please point out where I stated that I only eat with the pigs from the Carnival trough with the pushers and shovers as you point out is the only buffet available. I did eat at the buffet on occasion, but half the time I ate from the plated menu that was brought to me by a server. You act as though the only food now available at lunch is a trough of muddy greasy garbage that only is fit for the cows who are being stored on Deck 2 to from the Double R Ranch.

?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums