First time on P & O - disappointed

Please don't think I am disagreeing with your view but I have found exactly the opposite on all my P&O cruises. The waiters have always been extremely friendly. I must say though that not using hand sanitisers has always been a major bugbear of mine. I'm not sure why you would want more than one pool towel. My main complaint was passengers leaving them on the sunbeds when they were finished with them meaning they lay unused for long periods.

Could I ask which ship you were on?

We were on Ventura. As I said this was our first P&O cruise so can only compare with others cruise lines and P&O do not come out favourably. Lots of minus points with the only plus point we could find was the price of drinks. Having said that I would much prefer to pay slightly higher prices for better service, hygiene standards etc.

We were on Ventura. As I said this was our first P&O cruise so can only compare with others cruise lines and P&O do not come out favourably. Lots of minus points with the only plus point we could find was the price of drinks. Having said that I would much prefer to pay slightly higher prices for better service, hygiene standards etc.

That's a pity. We have only been on the Ventura for a short cruise and that's not the best way to judge it. My friends have been on it twice and had no complaints. BTW We also live in Worksop although not born and bred here.

David

Hi Robinwatch

Having read your review you state you noticed a lack of public toilets as compared to Princess, as Ventura is a Grand Class ship she has the same number of public toilets in the same places as the similar ships in the Princess fleet. Hand Sanitizer is always available at the Gangway while in port and again is situated within the entrances to the main dining rooms in addition to the auto dispensers there is normally a waiter with a hand bottle, however they cannot force the sanitizer onto the passengers. There are in addition auto dispensers at the entrances to the buffet, burger bar and pizzarea, if passengers fail to use them what do you suggest the crew do , my wife pointed out the dispenser to a fellow passenger in the buffet whom she had noticed failing to use it and in return was subjected to verbal abuse. In respect of the toilets a toilet can be cleaned and within minutes can be dirty again particularly those near the pools.If you wished additional pool towels all you had to do was ask your steward to provide them. You further state the waiters in the MDR were the rudest you have ever experienced but you do not elaborate, in what way were they rude.I have cruised with differant cruise lines and have never met a rude member of staff, I have however met members of staff who do not have a great command of English knowing only enought to carry out their duties but not enough to engage in general conversation, this could be construed as rudeness by certain people.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your P&O cruise perhaps you would be better sticking to what you know best, but being an avid reader of the message boards of the lines you mention at the start of your post they are not perfect either. Happy future cruising to you.

Very well said. I have never in 9 cruises come across a single rude member of staff, but as you rightly say, have met a few whose command of English is not as good as some. As long as they do their job, it doesn't matter.

It's 18 months or so since I sailed with P&O so can't comment on the OP, but one thing strikes me. A similar post on the Cunard board would have brought down a torrent of abuse and a recommendation to go f o elsewhere if you don't like it.

Cunard does generally have the edge in my experience, but some of the dyed in the wool lot can be very snooty at times.

David.

Hi Robinwatch

Having read your review you state you noticed a lack of public toilets as compared to Princess, as Ventura is a Grand Class ship she has the same number of public toilets in the same places as the similar ships in the Princess fleet. Hand Sanitizer is always available at the Gangway while in port and again is situated within the entrances to the main dining rooms in addition to the auto dispensers there is normally a waiter with a hand bottle, however they cannot force the sanitizer onto the passengers. There are in addition auto dispensers at the entrances to the buffet, burger bar and pizzarea, if passengers fail to use them what do you suggest the crew do , my wife pointed out the dispenser to a fellow passenger in the buffet whom she had noticed failing to use it and in return was subjected to verbal abuse. In respect of the toilets a toilet can be cleaned and within minutes can be dirty again particularly those near the pools.If you wished additional pool towels all you had to do was ask your steward to provide them. You further state the waiters in the MDR were the rudest you have ever experienced but you do not elaborate, in what way were they rude.I have cruised with differant cruise lines and have never met a rude member of staff, I have however met members of staff who do not have a great command of English knowing only enought to carry out their duties but not enough to engage in general conversation, this could be construed as rudeness by certain people.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your P&O cruise perhaps you would be better sticking to what you know best, but being an avid reader of the message boards of the lines you mention at the start of your post they are not perfect either. Happy future cruising to you.

You clearly go on the same cruises as me. Agree completely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

People always bang on about the hand sanitiser but some people, including me, are allergic to it, with the skin being stripped painfully from my hands if I use it for a few days. I am meticulous about hand washing with soap and water and always explain my allergy to the staff, when I don't use the dreaded sanitiser.

On P and O I have had no problem, but with another line the staff insisted on spraying my hands anyway. I presented my raw and painful fingers to staff after two days and threatened to sue. No more problems.

I'm not the OP but we also had a slightly disappointing experience on Ventura.

One example of MDR rudeness, we ordered Rack & leg of lamb one evening. After my husband had received 2 grey slabs of lamb a few evenings earlier, he asked if there was a choice in how it was cooked. The answer was what best be described as a grunt. Of course it was horribly overcooked when it arrived.

I booked a table in East to take advantage of the Early bird offer of a free bottle of wine. When our confirmation card arrived it showed 7.15, when I questioned the time, the Manager told me that was the time I'd booked, I couldn't have had the early bird offer as it was full by the time I'd booked.

Wine service was quite poor, we didn't get a wine list for the first few days. We fairly quickly realised that the only way to get wine before the main course was to order the suggested "Wine of the Day" - I was stumped one lunchtime when it wasn't available !

Front Desk staff were generally unhelpful, when I was given my boarding card with my name spelt incorrectly, a member of staff laughed and altered it by hand.

There were queues to leave the ship at Naples & Venice. We had no choice in Naples but to queue for 25 minutes as we booked on an excursion. In Venice we watched the queue from the Glass House.

On a positive note we had a great cabin, flights & transfers were good and we loved the Glass House. The White Room was good on our first visit but on the second we waited an hour for our starter. The explanation was that everyone had arrived at once - but they take bookings !!

By the way, there is no need to tell me to go back to Cunard, that's where I have gone !

Hi Clodia

I have absolutely no problem with that the point I was trying to make that should a passenger wish to use the product it is available at all venues. It has been alleged in various post that it was unavailble, in ALL the cruises I have taken since 2005 Sanitizer has been available at all times, the cruise where my wife pointed it out there had been a small outbreak of Norovirus which was dealt with promptly and efficiently by the crew.As I understand the hand gel is anti - bacterial but not anti-viral and I stand to be corrected by someone with medical knowledge. I sympathise with your predicament I am allergic to Elastoplast particularly the old material type which brings me out in a terrible rash.

Happy cruising to you.

Hi daiB

Perhaps we have last time on Ventura was 28/02/14 due on again same time next year, looking for something for later this year we only cruise in the Caribbean as I do not see the point in going to the Med during the summer when the ships are full of children(now at the Grumpy old man stage), nor paying lots to go north for cold and rain. Perhaps cruising in the Caribbean is a diffferent beast from the areas I have mentioned. I see you are a regular contributer to the sites I read, keep the posts going.

Happy cruising to you.

Hi daiB

Perhaps we have last time on Ventura was 28/02/14 due on again same time next year, looking for something for later this year we only cruise in the Caribbean as I do not see the point in going to the Med during the summer when the ships are full of children(now at the Grumpy old man stage), nor paying lots to go north for cold and rain. Perhaps cruising in the Caribbean is a diffferent beast from the areas I have mentioned. I see you are a regular contributer to the sites I read, keep the posts going.

Happy cruising to you.

Not full of children if you go outside of school hols. There were less than 20 aboard Ventura 3 weeks ago :D

Hi daiB

Happy cruising to you.

Hi Sanjam,

We tend to be year round cruisers but rarely in the summer months as we do other things then. Also we do not do fly cruising as I have a mobility scooter and although I know we can take it, it tends to be a bit of a hassle. So we go any time between September and May June and as often as possible.

I am always amazed by the quality of the staff and I have got to know many of them, by sight if not name. I always meet crew we have come across before and the welcome you get is always very warm.

Hi daiB

Although my wife and I are relatively young retirerees we are very busy throughout the summer months we therefore try to fit in a cruise in November/December and then again at the beginning of March for better halfs Birthday. I would loved to have a career at Sea but it was not to be and I like to speak to the crew,and like you have met a number over the years who always recognise us when aboard. I never thought I would be in the position that I could afford a cruise every year I therefore make sure I enjoy every one I go on, life is to short to get annoyed over minor niggles that occur from time to time.

Keep well and enjoy your cruising.

Jim

Hi davecttr

As I said to daiB , although retired I am very busy during summer months and therefore my cruising is confined to the Caribbean,that is not to say we will not venture further afield in the future.

Happy and enjoyable cruising to you.

Jim

We did A409 and A410 earlier this year, dining in both MDRs. Our waiters in both restaurants were friendly. The waiter in the Oriental Restaurant even set us a riddle every night. Bar staff were variable (as always), although those in the Glass House were exceptionally good.

The overall experience was good enough for us to book the same cabin on A509 and A510 next year.

I was also on this cruise and agree that it had good and

not-so-good points. However we booked last minute and paid less than £550 for a balcony cabin. For me, that represents excellent value and I am a big believer in you get what you pay for.

That said, I found the CD and his "troupe" very tacky indeed and thought the great British sail away excruciatingly bad. What must the Norwegians have thought?! I guess it just goes to show, experience and tastes are subjective and personal.

not-so-good points. However we booked last minute and paid less than £550 for a balcony cabin. For me, that represents excellent value and I am a big believer in you get what you pay for.

That said, I found the CD and his "troupe" very tacky indeed and thought the great British sail away excruciatingly bad. What must the Norwegians have thought?! I guess it just goes to show, experience and tastes are subjective and personal.

Very much personal preference. It is a long standing P&O tradition. But remember there are possibly no more than 500 up there when it happens only about 17/18% of the passengers on board. If you do not like it join the majority.

I agree - I find the Sailaways excruciatingly awful, and do not understand the need for it, but we simply stay away. A bit of music and a dance - fine, but all this flag waving is just embarrassing.

Sorry jeanlyon but we love the sailaways from Southampton and the Gt British Sailaway. Each to their own I suppose and we aren't even that patriotic to be honest.

Just LOVE the whole thing about leaving port on our cruise -- we just miss the band at the quay side.

:)

Must admit, the Great British Sailaway was better when we left Gibraltar in the sunshine and there were a LOT of people there. When they tried to repeat it last month sailing from a cold St Nazaire in France it didn't have the same 'feel'.

Hi Presto 2

My better half and I and our friends also enjoy the great British Sailaways, particularly when we are alongside an American Ship. I have never experienced a bad reaction, a couple of years ago we were alongside Mien Shiff 1 in Antigua when the GBS took place there was not a lot of reaction to the GBS as you could understand, I shouted over to them " Auf Weidesein" and those on deck erupted including those sunbathing Au Natural on the top deck waving and cheering back as we pulled away ( perhaps they were glad to see us go") but I have always found the Germans to very friendly and they like to let their hair down the same as us.

If you do not like it, it is only 1 hour out of a 14 day cruise.

Agree about sailaways...the GB ones are not for me but I did enjoy watching everyone else enjoying themselves and having a great time. Leon and his team put their all into it on our Western med in May. As someone said, only a small proportion take part, it's not compulsory! "Ordinary" sailaways were much more low key.

Sent from my iPad using Forums