First things you do when you get on board?

Leaving on July 6th on the NOS. We have cruised 3 times in the last two years, so I know what we have done when we get on board, but I would love to know what everyone does. It is DH, my DS 17 and DD 13 and myself on this vacation. We usually get on and go eat at the buffet...then get used to the ship and find our room...not very exciting. We were talking about it this afternoon...what do others like to do? Just would love your ideas! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Turn off the phone. We are on Holiday.

The kids immediately want to jump in the pool or go on the flow rider (we carry on bathing suits), but we make them grab some food first! On the Allure I also got a quick zip line in when we got on the ship. It was a great time to do it - no lines.

Like many here, we board early and get lunch before the venue gets too crowded. We go to the MDR and make sure our table is acceptable (it also helps us to know where our table is in advance, so we don't have to wait in line at dinnertime to be shown to our table)

Sometimes, ships with a promenade will have a "Cruise Expo", where you can sample specialty restaurant foods, and enter drawings. While we've never won anything, our traveling companions have won free shore excursions (zipline on Labadee; jet ski on coco cay) and free spa treatments (massage and facial)

We always get on before our cabin is ready so we have to do something other than drop off our carryons. We were on Navigator before it got crowded and were able to take pictures of the Solarium and main pool area with no one in these areas. Amazing and never happened before.

After that we went to the MDR to find our table...all good..and then went to the WJ for a quick bite cuz it had not been that long since we had breakfast at the Galveston Beach Hotel.

Following that we explored the ship a bit and then heard the announcement that all the cabins were available. Nice!

Leaving on July 6th on the NOS. We have cruised 3 times in the last two years, so I know what we have done when we get on board, but I would love to know what everyone does. It is DH, my DS 17 and DD 13 and myself on this vacation. We usually get on and go eat at the buffet...then get used to the ship and find our room...not very exciting. We were talking about it this afternoon...what do others like to do? Just would love your ideas! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Promenade for lunch. Much less crowded for food and drink . Pizza,sandwiches Ice cream etc.

The last time I sailed, I stashed my carry-on in the cabin and went to the pool deck for my first drink.

This time I will stash my carry-on, change into my flip-flops, grab a sandwich, and THEN head to the pool deck for a drink. When my cabin is available, it will be naptime until muster.

jayblue RCCL cruiser

Go eat and then explore the ship from top to bottom (depending on what time we board drop off our stuff in their). Usually with a drink in hand by sail away and we went to every public room onboard.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

exactly what we do!

Amen to that! Vacation is as tech-free an experience as we can make it. Phone gets turned off as soon as I am heading up the gangway to hear that first 'bong' as I step onto the ship. We will go to check if our cabin is ready and if so, I throw the phone in the safe with my wallet, stash my carry-on in the closet and - with seapass in hand, head to the pool bar, grab a drink, listen to some live music, and get into 'vacation mode'... rain can mean a stroll down the promenade with a tropical beverage in hand instead of an afternoon swaying to music at the pool, but it is vacation, so we begin relaxing as soon as humanly possible!

Edited by SnappyNappi

I love all these replies I have drifted into reminiscing of cruises gone and dreaming of the one in a few weeks :D

I like to find a chair by the pool - with a drink of course - and people watch, the smiles and laughter is wonderful and can mean only one thing were all on holiday and are going to have a fantastic time ! DH gets his kindle out and DS goes off exploring ! Family time is great :)

First I will call our daughters to let them each know we made it on board. Then I'll snap a selfie holding an umbrella drink poolside and post it on FB. And then we put our phones in airplane mode, because we use them for the camera.

I have butterflies in my stomach thinking about it.

I do most of these - Get a tropical drink, maybe something to eat, call either DD or DH - whichever one had to stay home with the dog - the other one will be with me (note - I don't have to take my turn ;)).

Unpack.

But one thing I've added to my list for the Navigator this fall is go to the Promenade - I believe between 1 & 3 - to get tickets to the Ice Skating show later in the week. Thanks CCers for the heads up! :D

We head right to the Windjammer for a light lunch. Then off to the pool deck for the first drink (and maybe second) until the room is ready. I unpack our carry-ons and if lucky the big suitcase has arrived. Then we head out to the balcony with a beverage a start relaxation 101. Eventually we wander around the ship until muster. For sail away we are usually up top with everyone else.

Normally, I would go to Chops to get a reservation for my group but after the latest marketing tactic with the specialty restaurants and kids, I don't see that happening this cruise.

Second, I go to the dining room to see where my table is and if my group is seated together. :p

Third, I go find a wonderful (skinny)drink then have something light to eat. I'm too excited to eat so that is certainly not the first thing on my mind. My hubby and I have been eating VERY well in the last 3 months and together we have lost 34 lbs so I have no intention of putting it back on. Whoop...whoop!

:D

Edited by Esmerelda

We always go to the WJ and have lunch. Then we explore the ship some, find a nice lounge chair and wait for rooms to be ready. We find our room, change into swimsuits and head back out to pool area. Have welcome aboard drink!:D and enjoy relaxing until muster drill.

We are so boring!:D

Sherri:)

Up to the pool deck for either a DOD or Lava Flow, then off to Giovanni's for lunch!

Well, actually before that, even, a quick phone call to the parents to let them know I'm alive and on board, and a few pics emailed out!

Edited by tiggeril

I change the message on my cell phone to say "I'm on vacation and my cell phone is turned off. If you leave a message, I will return it when I get back on (date)." Then I switch it to Airplane Mode and head to the Park Café or Promenade, depending on the ship, to get a snack and a drink -- anyplace but the Windjammer :eek: on the first day!

We usually are on the ship by about 11:45AM. We go straight to Windjammer for lunch and then perhaps to the Cafe Promenade to wait until 1pm. Once we get into our room and put our "stuff" away that we brought on board, we go straight to the Viking Crown Lounge and watch the sail away from there. We've met a lot of interesting people there and since we can't really get in the sun this is a great place for us to be. That said.....it seems that we are being run out of the VCL more and more lately due to people "booking" the lounge. Once it was for a study group of 10 PEOPLE!!!!!! The WHOLE lounge was closed...........REALLY???????