Florence-Venice Post Cruise # of Days Needed

jbonwater

Following our 21 day b2b cruise in the Spring of 2015 on the NCL Jade we plan to visit Florence and Venice. We thought 5 nights in each city would be enough time to take in the important sites and area. Should we spend more or less time in either city? (Pre cruise we intend to be in Rome for 5 nights also.)

Thank you for any words of wisdom.

John

Following our 21 day b2b cruise in the Spring of 2015 on the NCL Jade we plan to visit Florence and Venice. We thought 5 nights in each city would be enough time to take in the important sites and area. Should we spend more or less time in either city? (Pre cruise we intend to be in Rome for 5 nights also.)

Thank you for any words of wisdom.

John

I love this question so much! <3

So often it's a case of "Can I see five cities in one day?" I'm pleased to hear that you have enough time to give five days to each city. You will be able to get a really good flavour of each city this way, see all the major sites, and have the luxury to relax a bit in between.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Great idea. I would cut a night off each of two cities and try to spend 2 nights in a small town in Tuscany. It will give you a very different experience.

OR, rent a car when you leave Florence, stay in an agrotourism outside somewhere like Orvieto and tour for two days. Leave the car there and go on to Rome by train.

It really depends on what you plan to do in each place. Venice and the outer islands could be explored in three full days if that is your intention. If you are using it as a base for other places like Padua and Verona- then five nights make sense.

I also think three full days in Florence will suffice unless you plan to use it as a base to see Sienna or other places in Tuscany.

It does help to understand your interests. Florence is the epicenter of the Renaissance in pretty much every respect. If you are interested in that period you could spend months in the city and not exhaust everything there is to see, do, learn, eat, etc.

Thank you all for your input and wonderful ideas. Never knew about Padua and Verona from Venice, but will check them out.

Our stay in Florence will hopefully include a day trip/tour over to Cinque Terre as well as two days of sightseeing in Florence itself. Our cruise stop in Livorno will allow us to see Pisa and Lucca.

Would a one day tour from Florence through some of Tuscany region be advisable? Any tour operator recommendations? Or should we spend a separate couple of nights in Tuscany as suggested?

Thanks again.

John

Hmm, what started out sounding like a rational plan is quickly devolving into the typical cram-it-all-in mentality.

Do your five days in each place include travel days, or exclude them? If you have five days total in each place, including travel to/from your cruise, between each city, and your return home, you don't have as much time as you think. Actually seeing Florence and Venice will eat up most, if not all, of that time.

Hmm, what started out sounding like a rational plan is quickly devolving into the typical cram-it-all-in mentality.

Do your five days in each place include travel days, or exclude them? If you have five days total in each place, including travel to/from your cruise, between each city, and your return home, you don't have as much time as you think. Actually seeing Florence and Venice will eat up most, if not all, of that time.

Understood, thanks.

John

Sounds like 5 days in each place is a good idea- if you are using them as a base. Lucky you to have 31 days in Europe!

Thanks, Rebecca. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary and my 65th birthday so it is a once in a lifetime trip. (also it is on my bucket list) Fortunately we will be able to use Marriott and Hilton Points for hotels in Rome and Venice which really helps to keep the cost down. Only hotel costs will be Florence but it should be worth it. Also, we can use up our Delta miles for flights.

That just leaves the cruise itself, shore excursions, private tours, tips, food on land, specialty restaurants on board, trains, buses, trinkets, etc., etc., etc., OMG!!! LOL not...

John

Thanks, Rebecca. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary and my 65th birthday so it is a once in a lifetime trip. (also it is on my bucket list) Fortunately we will be able to use Marriott and Hilton Points for hotels in Rome and Venice which really helps to keep the cost down. Only hotel costs will be Florence but it should be worth it. Also, we can use up our Delta miles for flights.

That just leaves the cruise itself, shore excursions, private tours, tips, food on land, specialty restaurants on board, trains, buses, trinkets, etc., etc., etc., OMG!!! LOL not...

John

If you can use your points for the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice, I would recommend it. A special place.

If you can use your points for the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice, I would recommend it. A special place.

Thanks Gangplanker, that is exactly where we plan to stay. We will be coming into Venice from Florence by train; any thoughts on the best way to get to the hotel from train station?

This from the Hilton's website from train station in Venice. The least expensive option is the vaporetto, which isn't too difficult.

Transfers by private water-taxi and hostess can be arranged through our

Concierge. In this event, guests will be welcomed upon arrival by a hostess

with a name-sign and will be accompanied to their taxi. Cost: Euro 136.00

(up to 6 persons and 1 piece of luggage per person), transfer time 15

minutes. Please foresee a supplement for evening or early morning. Full

arrival details including train compartment and seat number should be

advised at least 24 hours in advance.

· Transfers by private water-taxi (without hostess)

Taxis are generally available in great number at the water-taxi pier. Should

no taxis be available, please call the hotel concierge for assistance. Cost:

Euro 60 (up to 4 persons and 1 piece of luggage per person). Please

foresee a supplement for evening or early morning. Transfer time 15

minutes approximately.

· Transfers by public boat (vaporetto nr. 41 or 2 direction Giudecca) to

Giudecca (Stop: Palanca) or public boat (Vaporetto nr. 51 or 2) to Zattere,

from where guests can take our hotel shuttle to the Hilton Molino Stucky

Venice. Cost Euro 6 per person transfer time approximately 30/45

minutes. Please note: in the latter option, guests are expected to make

their own way from the water-bus stop at Zattere to our dedicated landing

jetty (Zattere/Ponte Longo Bridge, by the Intesa Bank).

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain