Booking flights home from FLL

jzad

Good morning, we will be arriving back on Silhouette into Fort Lauderdale on January 11. I was wondering if I could manage a flight out of FLL at 10:30am or would I be pushing my luck? This will be our first time on Celebrity and I don't know how early we can start disembarking?

Thank you in advance for any information

Good morning, we will be arriving back on Silhouette into Fort Lauderdale on January 11. I was wondering if I could manage a flight out of FLL at 10:30am or would I be pushing my luck? This will be our first time on Celebrity and I don't know how early we can start disembarking?

Thank you in advance for any information

I was able to catch a 10:50am flight in December with plenty of time to spare. We arrived in FLL on a Friday so the port area wasn't as busy, however it 5 days before Christmas a busy time of the year for airports. We walked off with our luggage as soon as the ship had cleared and took a taxi to the airport. The port and airport are about 10 minutes apart. We did online check in for our flight so the only thing we had to do at the airport was drop off our bags and go through security.

I was able to catch a 10:50am flight in December with plenty of time to spare. We arrived in FLL on a Friday so the port area wasn't as busy, however it 5 days before Christmas a busy time of the year for airports. We walked off with our luggage as soon as the ship had cleared and took a taxi to the airport. The port and airport are about 10 minutes apart. We did online check in for our flight so the only thing we had to do at the airport was drop off our bags and go through security.

Thank you very much for the information!

Typically the most backed up airport is FLL. Last time I was there just to get thru check in was a zoo. And then the line for security was an easy hour. There were 3 or 4 cruise ships off loading that day. :eek:

Typically the most backed up airport is FLL. Last time I was there just to get thru check in was a zoo. And then the line for security was an easy hour. There were 3 or 4 cruise ships off loading that day. :eek:

If I may be so bold, you should probably be more specific. FLL has 4 different terminals; each terminal has two concourses. I know that at Terminal 1, the security line for Concourse B (which now handles all SW/AirTran flights can be very long (but steadily moving), while the one for Concourse C (which has many fewer flights) is almost non-existent. So I really don't think you can make general statements about FLL.

Yes you can if everything works out. We've made the 10:10 nonstop flight we like every single time.

But..... you have to be diligent. Do self-disembarkation. And by that, I mean whatever time they tell you to gather, make sure your luggage is in the line at least 45 minutes before that. Seriously. Your luggage will be your place in line, so one of you can go grab some coffee and a croissant or something and eat while you wait.

We typically have a large case each and one or two carry on pieces that stack on top of each other. We have sometimes even had an additional golf bag! But we carry it all out, sometimes taking turns going down stairs. We try not to take the elevator unless we are the first on. If you do all this you will likely be among the first 10 or 12 people off.

Now as for transport to the airport, forget a shuttle. They have to wait until they're full, and have to load up a lot of people's luggage which takes more time. Grab the first taxi you see. At that point in the process there will normally be a whole line of them. Get to the airport probably over 2 hours ahead of time.

The only thing you risk is if there is something going on with customs or the ship is late. We take the gamble because we know Southwest has a later afternoon flight. Never have missed that 10:10 flight once and we're normally in our car headed home 2 hours later.

Just be careful as there are a lot of ships in that morning. Customs can be very slot.

Amsterdam

Caribbean Princess

Celebrity Constellation

Celebrity Equinox

Noordam

Silver Cloud

Silver Spirit

Will all be in port with us on that Monday chances are will be very hectic

If I may be so bold, you should probably be more specific. FLL has 4 different terminals; each terminal has two concourses. I know that at Terminal 1, the security line for Concourse B (which now handles all SW/AirTran flights can be very long (but steadily moving), while the one for Concourse C (which has many fewer flights) is almost non-existent. So I really don't think you can make general statements about FLL.

No problem you can be bold.

Yes your right it was Southwest so if the OP is flying that airline all I have to say is "Good Luck" catching an early flight with multiple cruise lines all docking at the same time. It's a Cluster in the worst way.

Airport staff was pulling people from the back of the security line just so they did not miss their flights. Easily the worst airport experience I've ever had was at this airport, not to mention just what you had to go through just to check your bags.

No problem you can be bold.

Yes your right it was Southwest so if the OP is flying that airline all I have to say is "Good Luck" catching an early flight with multiple cruise lines all docking at the same time. It's a Cluster in the worst way.

Airport staff was pulling people from the back of the security line just so they did not miss their flights. Easily the worst airport experience I've ever had was at this airport, not to mention just what you had to go through just to check your bags.

Yes, that was our experience on a Monday morning at 7:00 AM, BEFORE any of that day's cruise passengers had even arrived.

Thank you so much everybody! We are flying JetBlue so there is plenty of flights to choose from, I chickened out anyway and booked the 12:00 flight :rolleyes: I don't really want to be freaking out after my wonderful holiday :D

We returned from a Trans Atlantic on the Equinox last Dec. and we came through Fort Lauderdale. Customs was a mad house and the wait was very long. We went into Silk Harvest at 8:30 a.m. and waited until 9:45 to be called. When we got to Customs we waited two and a half hours in line and there was only our ship clearing customs. Fortunately we were staying with friends so we did not miss our flight. Those who had early afternoon flights were missing them and had to either fly out later or the next day. Personally, I'd do a mid to late afternoon flight to be on the safe side. We are doing another Trans Atlantic in November and we are coming into Fort Lauderdale. We have booked a late afternoon flight for our return home.

Thank you so much everybody! We are flying JetBlue so there is plenty of flights to choose from, I chickened out anyway and booked the 12:00 flight :rolleyes: I don't really want to be freaking out after my wonderful holiday :D

You can still self-disembark and get to the airport as early as possible, and see if you can get onto that earlier flight "standby". We've done that a few times with Jet Blue.

Last time we came in, from transAtlantic, custom/immigration was S L O W.

Flying JetBlue--self checkin wouldn't accept my info, had to stand in line for almost 30 minutes. Made our 1220 flight by about 3 minutes!

Exception? Probably. But based on a number of arrivals at FLL or MIA, I won't book flight before noon-- and have even missed one of those!

You can still self-disembark and get to the airport as early as possible, and see if you can get onto that earlier flight "standby". We've done that a few times with Jet Blue.

Oh that's a great idea too! thank you!

I would not book a morning flight. The last time we disembarked in Fort Lauderdale there was a passing rainstorm that included some thunder and lightning. The workers who were responsible for operating the equipment that offloaded the baggage refused to work in those conditions and shut down their equipment until the skies were blue again. We had carry-on bags only and were prepared to disembark with the first passengers allowed off the ship. We were not allowed to disembark until after 10 a.m. Many passengers missed their flights. Our friends who had an early departure could not get off the ship until 11:30 and had to make alternate travel arrangements.

Most of the time early disembark works - not always!

Good call, great way to end a wonderful cruise. :)

I don't get it. After a week of relaxing why do most travelers stress themselves all out just to catch an early flight. Really, remember you left home to get away so why the heck do you want to get back home 3 hours early?? RELAX. :cool:

Good call, great way to end a wonderful cruise. :)

I don't get it. After a week of relaxing why do most travelers stress themselves all out just to catch an early flight. Really, remember you left home to get away so why the heck do you want to get back home 3 hours early?? RELAX. :cool:

For us, the waiting around for a later flight is more stressful and can undo all the relaxation of the vacation. Often, we have to go to work the next day because we cannot always get the additional vacation time, so those 3 extra hours are very important to us.

After being away from home for a week, there are household things to attend to, and we get very anxious sitting around idly waiting for a later flight when there is unpacking and laundry to do, lawns to mow, pets to reunite with, groceries to pick up, etc. These things cannot be put off because we might not have time for them until the following weekend. The sooner we get home, the more leisurely we can pace these chores throughout the day, making going back to work the next day less daunting.

Edited by DonnaK

For us, the waiting around for a later flight is more stressful and can undo all the relaxation of the vacation. Often, we have to go to work the next day because we cannot always get the additional vacation time, so those 3 extra hours are very important to us.

After being away from home for a week, there are household things to attend to, and we get very anxious sitting around idly waiting for a later flight when there is unpacking and laundry to do, lawns to mow, pets to reunite with, groceries to pick up, etc. These things cannot be put off because we might not have time for them until the following weekend. The sooner we get home, the more leisurely we can pace these chores throughout the day, making going back to work the next day less daunting.

Oh I totally agree with you on this as well! I miss my kids (who are 21 and 17) and I'm anxious to get home and settle back in.

I have a question as well about flying out of FLL. We are arriving on Friday morning, we fly out at 4:45PM on Southwest. We chose this flight because it was a great price and non-stop. I am thinking about renting a car for the day since we will have our luggage from our 11 night cruise. Any suggestions about where to go or what to do?