Help me pack for Canadian cruise?

Oh Lord do I need help. I've cruised 17 times to the Caribbean and all my clothes are warm/hot weather clothing. I'm going to sail on Explorer of the Seas, from Sept 11, to 20. What do I wear? Will I really need sweaters and stuff for cold? Is it that cold there in Sept? I will still be in warm weather clothes here in Tenn. Yikes, help.

I'm guessing this might be my first cruise with jeans, but they are so heavy, and we are flying in, probably same day. Another yikes! I've always arrived the day before, but since this is a group thing, it's not my decision.

So, all you northern cruisers please help me pack.

What ports will you be visiting? The weather that time of year will be likely be in the mid to high 60s although expect it to be cooler in the mornings. Rather then packing jeans, perhaps some khaki type pants would be a nice alternative? They're certainly lighter in weight.

I have done four Canada & New England cruises. I love them. Each time the weather has been different. The coldest trip was the first week of August. Yes, it was down right cold and wet in St. John (NB). I had layers on and a jacket and I was so cold. I would bring a wind breaker and a warm layer that you can put on, just in case it is cold. When we went 10/19 the weather was beautiful.

I'm on the same cruise with you. And, I am having more difficulty packing for this cruise. I love to wear capris so I will be taking capris, some long pants which includes just 1 pair of jeans. My problem is the tops. So, I basically decided to bring long sleeve for the ports, short sleeve for the ship. I may bring long sleeve cardigans for the ports. I will also have a couple of long sleeve jackets and a rain jacket with hood. (I hate umbrellas!) Layers is really the best way to plan.

I won't be finalizing my packing list until a week or so before the cruise. I plan to check weather forecast to get an approximation of the temps.

I do know that when we were in Halifax, in Sept, it was damp, rainy and cold.

Be sure to come over to our roll call. I think we actually had this discussion.

We cruised New England two years ago & the packing was pretty similar to Alaska . I packed jeans , long sleeved t shirts & cotton sweaters for touring . On the ship I did wear capris and lighter tops . I also packed a rain jacket & umbrella which was needed in Halifax. Great cruise ! I also packed JJill traveler pants & tops & a JJill maxi dress with a short sweater .

I haven't been to Canada in years but I have cruised to Alaska and my best advice would be to bring clothes that you can layer. A lightweight, hooded, rain jacket you can carry onto the plane, or pack if you have room, would be nice. If you don't want to pack your jeans, you could wear them on the plane or however you plan to travel and then back home again. Just a thought as I've done this many times myself. A lightweight wool scarf and a pair of gloves might be something you could easily fit into your suitcase or tote bag. I'm sure there will be other here that can give you better advice.

I hope you have an amazing vacation!:D

Right now, Athleta has their Frontier Jean on sale. They are lightweight and have stretch to them. They are made with Schoeller 3XDry material (it's Bluesign-approved) that is water-repellant (NOT waterPROOF), cool, and dries quickly. I love mine!!! I have the very dark wash blue denim color. Even on sale, they are pricey, but soooo worth it! Second most expensive pair of jeans I've bought :D

My husband has the Outlier OG pant made from Schoeller fabric - they're great for wet days! And they look really nice too. But, oy, they were so not cheap:eek:

I just got two pairs of Mountain Hardwear pants that might be appropriate for my Christmas market river cruise - Sierra Trading Post had a 40% off sale (they have them often if you follow them on Facebook) so I got the microfleece lined Yumalinda for $35 http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-yumalina-pants-upf-50-microfleece-lining-for-women~p~4493n/?colorFamily=05

And the Winter Wander (probably the pair I'd bring to Germany) for $46. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-winter-wander-pants-upf-50-stretch-for-women~p~7423m/?colorFamily=01

If the weather looks to be warmer, I have the Columbia Mumbai Mover pant that is a similar shape - also has some stretch.

Right now, for 13 days, my plan is 3 prs pants and 1 dress. No jeans. And I'm guessing it will be colder in Germany in December than Canada in September, but who knows:p I really don't like jeans much, and I really don't like to travel with them because if/when they get wet, they take so long to dry, they're uncomfortable to wear while wet, and can be heavy. My personal style & packing preference.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Now your just freaking me out. Alaska? Will it really be that cold? Oh Lord, I hope not. I'm a Capri and Teva's girl.

I do not get along with cold weather at all. I have taken note of your advise. Hope I can scrape together something. Thanks.

Now your just freaking me out. Alaska? Will it really be that cold? Oh Lord, I hope not. I'm a Capri and Teva's girl.

I do not get along with cold weather at all. I have taken note of your advise. Hope I can scrape together something. Thanks.

I copied the average temps for each port a few months ago.

Portland..69.3 F

BarHarbor..68.6

Saint John..63.7

Halifax..65.7

Boston..72.8

Bayonne..77.6

I hope this helps.

I live in Massachusetts and travel to St. John, New Brunswick and PEI often. Yes, there could be some cool days but it can be hot and humid in Boston and in Maine. We still go to the beaches in September in Massachusetts and Maine. In the Maritime provinces of Canada there can also be very warm days. I would also bring shorts and T shirts or you could be uncomfortably hot.

Groan, I will never get packed. So, layering pieces, a fleece sweater or cardigan. Couple of long pants, shorts and tee's? Something dressy for evenings, and casual for day. Leave all summer Caribbean type clothing at home. (sigh)

Maybe a windbreaker. zip up hoodie, so much for a small carry on bag. I just hate paying extra to fly with my luggage.

Ok, thanks everyone. Will adjust when I get closer to cruising, and check weather reports.

I have traveled all over and pretty much I pack the same! This year I went in Feb. starting in a snow storm in Baltimore flying to cool and rainy LAX for 30 hours then to Tahiti (85 degrees for 4 days) and on to summer in New Zealand -- or as I said their version of summer -- high about 65 degrees unless the wind was blowing in from the south where Antarctica is the next land mass.:eek: Literally every sort of weather. As I leave for 10 day Canadian trip starting Monday here is what I will pack.

2 pair light weight cotton knit pants (black and white) long. 2 pair capris (closer to knee than ankle) kahki and white. one pair of above knee shorts (for beach/really hot day in PA coming back)black . one pair Dockers kahkis and one maxi skirt. 4 solid color Tees, 2 shells, 3 short sleeve blouses and 2

3/4 sleeve blouses and 2 sleeveless tops. All tops can go under blouses or worn alone. One knit maxi dress that does a lot of jobs (swim cover, bathrobe, with blouse as dress). One zippered fleece. One pseudo-leather jacket (plastic so fairly waterproof) and a long rain poncho from Disney World which goes over everything. When I put on a shell, a 3/4 sleeve t-shirt, a blouse and the fleece then jacket and rain poncho --THAT is full Mickey but pretty warm. I will take a hat and small pair of gloves. Shoes will be leather flip flops, tennis shoes, black mary janes and water shoes for swimming. Since not a cruise ship won't take but one traveler's knit dress for better restaurant. Swim suit. 2 nightgowns. I hope to launder in 10 days but if careful and not sloppy could make it without laundry:cool:

Now that I have shared all this let me go throw it in the suitcase before I forget what I want to take. You will love Canada -- it is beautiful and that cruise is always very nice. Don't worry -- your clothes will be neither the worst ever seen nor probably the best ever seen. Functional and comfortable and combinable works for me. Oh Don't forget to set it all off with a friendly smile:D