Wanted to share a neat story about honesty

Iamthesea

This reminded me of what happened when we were in Raitea, Polynesian Islands a few years ago. Was heading back to the ship when I spotted a small seashell box I just had to have....the lady told me the price in their currency (French Pacific francs) and I estimated it to be about 20 USD. Handed her the money, she looked at it and gently took my hand, explaining that I was giving her way too much. She knew I had made a big mistake and was about to pay the equivalent of about $250 for my box. You can imagine how bad I would have felt after I got back to the ship and realized my mistake. After that I bought several other items from her, mainly to show my appreciation. She knew the ship was leaving in an hour or so and that I would be gone. This was honesty at its best. :):):)

rebeccalouiseagain and others...Yes, lots of honest people in the world, but I thought it especially so when cash was involved. ;)

We also found someones credit card on the floor near the dining room one day. turned it into the purser. We did not leave a name or stateroom number, so never heard if it was claimed.

You know, I had intended on writing a letter to JC, the CD on our ship. He reads that days letters, the next day (which would have been our last.) It was already late that afternoon, and I had to get ready for dinner. By the time the evening was up, I realized that I did not get the letter written. :(

However, I did pay it forward by filling out two Attention to Detail cards while onboard. One for our awesome stateroom attendants, and the other for all of our servers in Blu. Each were named on the card. Including the Maitre D, we must have had 8-10 people waiting on us in the course of 12 nights. They were all wonderful and attentive, so I wanted to recognize them. When we were leaving the ship the last morning, our stateroom steward stopped us to thank us. She said that the Hotel Director had called them :) and also sent them a written letter! She said that those reviews really help them.

How did you get attention to detail cards???? I begged for them in May and was told they were discontinued!!!!!!!

cherylroslyn - The card appeared in our stateroom. I kept it for several days because it seemed more like a card to complain about the stateroom or services. We did have to have the air conditioning worked on the second day of the cruise, so I thought that the attendant left it in case we had any more issues to sort out.

JC, the CD on our cruise mentioned the cards one day and about how one can praise a crew member with them. So I praised our stateroom attendants. I then asked for another card at Guest relations to praise the Blu crew.

My husband found a phone in the toilets next to the acropolis in Athens. We looked through the contacts & found a contact that seemed to be the person's daughter. We called her in the US and she said that her Father was on a cruise. We had his name & took it back to our ship. There was a couple of ships in at the same time. Can you believe the person was on our cruise & guest relations contacted him so we could give him the phone back. He offered a reward which we declined. We didn't do it for any reward. It just makes us feel really good. Ours steps to heaven.

The next evening a bottle of wine appeared at our table. The phone's owner had found our MDR table to give us the wine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Very nice of you to track the owner down. I found a cell phone in the ladies room of our local Stein Mart. It never occurred to me to look up a contact. At the time, I knew nothing about Smartphones, so couldn't turn it on, anyway. :D I turned it into customer services at the store.

This reminded me of what happened when we were in Raitea, Polynesian Islands a few years ago. Was heading back to the ship when I spotted a small seashell box I just had to have....the lady told me the price in their currency (French Pacific francs) and I estimated it to be about 20 USD. Handed her the money, she looked at it and gently took my hand, explaining that I was giving her way too much. She knew I had made a big mistake and was about to pay the equivalent of about $250 for my box. You can imagine how bad I would have felt after I got back to the ship and realized my mistake. After that I bought several other items from her, mainly to show my appreciation. She knew the ship was leaving in an hour or so and that I would be gone. This was honesty at its best.

WOW...that's amazing! That would not have happened in Jamaica. :D

This was just what I needed to hear today. It does my heart good to hear there are still honest people out there. With all the shootings lately. All of the people complaining on this board. I went to the RCCL board the other day, Most people are not complaining as much as here on the Celebrity board. Not sure why but it was refreshing to see so many live reviews.

My best friend left her purse at the pool when it was time for the fire drill the first day.

Once the lifeboat drill was over she realized she left it and we went back. It was gone.

Of course her plane tickets, passport and credit cards were all in there. I thought we were both going to die. Called Guest Relations they didn't have anything but because of the fire drill things could be delayed. We stayed in the cabin and about 20 minutes later they called and said they had her purse. We of course ran up there, nothing, and I mean nothing was missing. She wanted to know who turned it in, it was a crew member. She was able to get his name and we went to the pool to thank him, he was a pool butler.

She had written an thank you note and put some money in the envelope. He did not want to take it her thanks was enough, she eventually convinced him to take it and spoke to his boss as well. He was like our best friend for the rest of the cruise.

Norma

On our last trip from Rome to Civitavecchia i was waiting for our van from Rome cabs .as i was ready to go the hotel clerk told me I owed them money...some nightly tax I did not know about .... ...So i went to pay for it ..meanwhile my son and the driver were loading the van with our bags .i turned and did not see my liitle redcarry on .I asked them if they had everything ...yes was the answer ..my first mistake ....

Off we went to Civitavecchia.When we got there everything was unloaded exvept my little red carry on ...no where to be found ..I went into extreme panic mode ...everything of value was in this carry on

Our driver called the hotel yes they had it .i made our driver call his boss who ordered him to go back and get it ...he was not happy camper but obeyed his boss

I asked him to take my son with him i wanted my son to get it ...the carry on ...no one else .I got on board recalled the hotel who confirmed that yes he had indeed given the suitcase to my son ..and he was on his way back ....it did take time to board and get an Italian speaker to call the hotel ..it took what seemed like forever ....

I was on pins and needles until he came back the whole thing took over2hours .Thank

God we had left and arrived early to port

My son offered to pay the driver he said his boss Stefano insisted no extra charge ....we of course had tipped the driver handsomely ....before he went back

People at the hotel were honest so was Stefano and the driver ...my meds were in there ,my documennts plus all my money ....a very expensive loss ..everything was in its place ....thank heavens

To this day I salute Stefano of Rome cabs and his crew for their honesty and quality service

I will use them againand recommend them to everyone ....

Yikes! You didn't say how old your son was, but I would not have sent my son back on a 2 hour trip, with a stranger, for anything. Brave you!

I've used Stefano several times and will continue to do so. I recommended him to my brother-in-law who is currently in Rome. Hope he took me up on the suggestion for a day tour with Stefano Tours. ;)

My son was 21at the time ...so he was anadult plus martial arts enthusias and knows self defense .i did not trust anyone except him to bring back that case intact

My son travelled to Israel alone just before meeting me ...he is a very smart responsible young man plus he had $$$ anda credit card on him had he needed it ....

Edited by mmemichele

Last year, on the Equinox we found a souvenir wallet (it had Mykonos or Santorini writen all over it). We returned it to guest relation and they opened it... was full of money!! Hope it gets back to its owner.

We found it the last night so we never knew what happened.

My son was 21at the time ...so he was anadult plus martial arts enthusias and knows self defense .i did not trust anyone except him to bring back that case intact

My son travelled to Israel alone just before meeting me ...he is a very smart responsible young man plus he had $$$ anda credit card on him had he needed it ....

I see. ;) When I heard son, I was thinking 16 or so. Glad your case was returned to you.

irenemc - You know that someone was missing that wallet. Good for you!

I once lost a foam pillow that I used for my back when lounging outside. I left it in a towel, and the Pool Butler turned it into Guest relations. I was surprised to find it. Thought it had gone to the laundry. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

We were flying from Arizona to Copenhagen. We arrived at the hotel and within minutes I could not locate the folio I had placed our airline tickets, passports (!), cruise tickets, etc! We raced back to the airport after I realized I had left it in the seat back pocket. Finally get to the airline baggage (Air France) and they directed me to lost and found, then they said you need to go to the police station 200 yards from the airport. There a police officer asked a couple of questions and said, "You are very lucky someone cleaning the plane turned this in" We didn't know who but it was a very happy ending to what could have been the end to our 12 night baltic cruise!:)

Edited by 360Guy

Before a cruise we left our kindle in our hotel. When we got back they had held it for us, when didn't realize it was gone until almost hAlf way through the 7 day cruise.

My husband left our camera in the photo area while we were looking for pictures. The photo worker saved it for us. As it was out first cruise with my nine months old twins I was ecstatic to have it and the picture back.

People can surprise you.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

There are LOTS of good and honest people out there. We just don't talk about them enough.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your great stories here. Another reason we love to cruise. By and large, cruisers and crew members are really good people!

Last May while cruising from Venice on Silhouette, my friend and I were enjoying dinner at Murano. After entree, but before the cheese course and soufflés, I excused myself to go to the Ladies room. It was only when I sat back down at the table that I realized that my sapphire ring was missing; I had taken it off to wash my hands and left it on the shelf above the sink :eek:

I flew out of my seat and went back to the restroom as quickly as possible, but it was gone! The maître d' had seen me run out in obvious distress and was waiting at the table when I returned, having learned from my friend the reason for my upset. When he saw my tears and I told him it was gone, probably forever, he told me not to lose hope and walked off.

Less than 10 minutes later he returned with my ring. :) Someone had turned it in the Guest Relations, and when he learned this he personally ran down to bring it back to me. I thanked him profusely, and wish I could have thanked whoever was honest enough to turn in an obviously expensive ring.

Maybe it was karma for the diamond pendant I found jammed into the corner of my stateroom safe on day 1 on Reflection that previous November, which I turned into Guest Relations. They told me the previous guests in my stateroom had reported it list or stolen from the cabin and staff had searched everywhere, including the safe. Sure do hope they got it back!

Very odd that the safe was searched with no diamond pendent showing up. Makes you wonder if the safe was ever checked!

That's why I do not take my good jewelry on vacations anymore, except my engagement/wedding rings and a small diamond bar necklace that my parents gave me when I was in high school.

I actually misplaced that necklace on a cruise! I assumed that I had dropped it on the floor accidentally and it must have been vacuumed up. Had the stateroom attendant looking all around for it. Reported the loss to GR. I eventually found the necklace in an area of my jewelry case that I didn't normally keep it in. :o

After that incident, I decided not to take my good jewelry with me on a cruise. However, that necklace is almost always on my neck, so I forget to leave it at home. :rolleyes: My engagement and wedding rings never come off my fingers. No other rings, earrings, necklaces, etc. of value go with me on vacation. I buy the costume rings on the ship to wear at night. :D

PS - I never take my rings off when washing my hands or showering. They've held up through 33 years of marriage.:) So glad that you found your ring!

Edited by Iamthesea

I was on the Silhouette April 2014 TA cruise. On the first night, I dined with friends at the Lawn Club Grill. The nearest bathroom is aft, starboard side. When I went to wash my hands, I noticed a pretty ring on the ledge near the soap dispenser. I handed it in to guest relations, in which they asked for my name and cabin number.

The next day or two I received a voice message from the woman who had taken the ring off to wash her hands. She said she wanted to meet me and thank me in person. Well, the next night I happened to be at the sunset bar during the elite happy hour and the woman walked up to me. It turned out to be a fellow CCr. She had not posted on our roll call but her husband had. I was quite involved in the roll call so she was surprised (but happy) that it was me that found her ring.

She told me the ring was not valuable, but very special to her. It was a pretty Australian opal ring. Had someone else found it, she probably would have never seen it again.

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

Another case of over the top honesty was when my wife lost her bracelet,

as it turns out, at dinner. It was turned into lost and found at the relations

desk. It was a costly piece of jewelry and the return was very welcome and

surprising. Relations could not provide a means for us to reward the responsible person(s).

• 1 month later...

I have been rather delinquent in posting my observation on board a ship on another cruise line.

Despite the many efforts described on these boards by folks wanting some financial recompense for just about anything that goes wrong, we've seen the opposite as well. In the one significant instance a person in front of me at the Pursers Office desk was explaining how his shipboard account was incorrect. It seems that he booked over $1,000 in shore excursions on board that did not show up on his account.

The clerk contacted the shorex office and the passenger and the shorex manager reviewed the bookings together and found the correct name but incorrect account number. The charges were posted to someone else's account. The clerk called the Purser who came out and thanked the gentleman profusely and said his honesty prevented an ugly scene with the incorrectly charged passenger.

The Purser offered a bottle of wine of his choice as a thank you. The gentleman declined saying he doesn't drink alcohol, but would accept a cup of gourmet coffee which resulted in his getting a voucher that was good for as many cups of coffee as he wanted for the rest of the cruise.

I suspect there are many other great stories like that that we'll never hear about.

Love the stories. Most people are good, we just don't hear the stories.

We "lost" our camera on a cruise. I was packing the last day and realized it was gone. Luckily for us we lost it on the belt when boarding our ship after a shore excursion and the staff turned it in.

Before you start your cruise, take a picture of a piece of paper with your name and cruise ship. Some honest person will have a way to get it back to you. I think I got that tip from some one on here. Also take a picture of the daily each morning so you have some idea when you took those random pictures :-)

I leave most of my jewelry at home now. I have one of those fake diamond rings from QVC. I get complimented on that ring all the time. And if it was lost or stolen, well I spend another $48 :-)

Great thread

Lost our camera on the last night of a HAL cruise

I think we left it on the dining room table

Reported it missing and figured we'd NEVER see it again( or our pictures)

Several weeks later we received it in the mail!

Again , heartwarming thread

Helaine

DH found a wallet on the costellation when we sat down on the sofa in the main lobby where guest relations is, wallet must have fallen out of somebody's pocket while sitting on the same sofa just before us. We gave it to the lost and found, we did not give our name and cabin number but I am sure the right owner got it back :) ID was inside the wallet.

On the Statendam i found a water bottle with logo HAL on it in Ladies room next to the Crows Nest, I handed over to the bartenters.

Glad to hear that so many stories ended well and all the stuff was returned.

When I lose something I may hope it will be found by a honest person.

Linda :)

There are more honest poeple out there then dishonest people, they just don't make the headlines! Thanks for the stories.

Though this doesn't involve a cruise ship, it does show just how honest people can be. I lost a camera bag (fortunately the camera wasn't in it) at Busch Gardens. It was hardly priceless and not at all sentimental, but I figured why not. The security guard there said over 70 per cent of the items reported as lost (including my camera bag) are turned in.