Mosquito Outbreak in Caribbean

Top-Cat

I was about to book a quick cruise and heard about a mosquito outbreak in the Caribbean that has moved into Florida via travelers. Makes you very sick with flu symptoms and arthritis at the same time. Some people have died.

Has anyone else heard about this?

It's called the Chikungunya virus. If you search in the St. Maarten forum, you will read a lot about it. I have read the articles about it being in Florida, but only that people came to Florida who contracted the virus in the Caribbean. The virus is expected to spread in the US starting sometime in the summer, according to the article. Just google Chikungunya virus and Florida and I'm sure you will find it. The CDC believes that a certain type of mosquito will bite the people already infected and then spread it to other people. It's not life threatening, but supposedly very painful for a week or two. I went to St. Maarten in April, and didn't get bitten.

Go on your cruise and wear insect repellent. You should be fine. :)

It's called the Chikungunya virus. If you search in the St. Maarten forum, you will read a lot about it. I have read the articles about it being in Florida, but only that people came to Florida who contracted the virus in the Caribbean. The virus is expected to spread in the US starting sometime in the summer, according to the article. Just google Chikungunya virus and Florida and I'm sure you will find it. The CDC believes that a certain type of mosquito will bite the people already infected and then spread it to other people. It's not life threatening, but supposedly very painful for a week or two. I went to St. Maarten in April, and didn't get bitten.

Go on your cruise and wear insect repellent. You should be fine. :)

Correct and to a Jessie extent dengue fever is also spreading