Looks like drink vouchers are here to stay

We always get on board with plenty of singles and tip extra in cash for good service. In the CL or DL, we tip our server per drink because although the same staff are usually in the lounges, there are times when they are not. Before we started tipping for each drink, we'd feel bad if a server who treated us particularly well all week was nowhere to be found on that last night. By tipping per drink, at least the servers who treat us well are guaranteed to get something and we can still tip extra on the last night.

I like that everyone has their own style. It's not right or wrong because in general top-tier know whats going on.

We choose not to carry cash on the ship. Bar service tips go on the slip or they don't go. Maybe it was a matter of training, but when we did the vouchers last time bar service brought $0 slips for us to add tips. They did not do this at the diamond event, and we tipped these servers with WOW envelopes just like we do in the actual Diamond Club.

I like this new C&A benefit!

I found out on the Radiance recently that you can go to Customer Service and have any amount charged to your seapass account for the Concierge(s) and also the bar staff in the lounges. They just need their first name and position, so it was "Rosario-Bar Attendant Concierge Lounge" on the Radiance.

We did this for both Rosario and JayJay, and told them on the last night there was something for them in their account.

Edited by pcur

We always tip the servers at the end of each night. I noticed by doing this, you have no wait and are taken care of as soon as you enter the room. Just my observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ever so slightly off topic, but thank you for this suggestion! I'm on the Vision for a b2b in July, I won't be in the DL or CL because my friend cannot go with me, and there are recent reports that the bar staff on the Vision is reeeeeeeealllly slow. So, if I give a hefty tip the first night and say "remember me, please" it will most likely solve my potential problem.

I could do this at a few bars around the ship, and voila! good service.

Same here!! I read all the time people saying "I received this e-mail from RCCL today"......HOW?? I NEVER receive e-mails from them!! I want to be in the loop here!! So again, I'll ask......HOW DO I GET IN THE COOL KIDS GROUP?? :D

I don't know if you included your email address on your reservation, but I started getting all of the emails, when I started including it on my reservations. I figured they already had my email address, since I got adds, but you get more info for your upcoming cruise, by adding it in your reservation.;)

I don't know if you included your email address on your reservation, but I started getting all of the emails, when I started including it on my reservations. I figured they already had my email address, since I got adds, but you get more info for your upcoming cruise, by adding it in your reservation.;)

I'm 99% sure it is there.....but I will double check tonight.......thank you!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

We always get on board with plenty of singles and tip extra in cash for good service. In the CL or DL, we tip our server per drink because although the same staff are usually in the lounges, there are times when they are not. Before we started tipping for each drink, we'd feel bad if a server who treated us particularly well all week was nowhere to be found on that last night. By tipping per drink, at least the servers who treat us well are guaranteed to get something and we can still tip extra on the last night.
We have done it both ways. when we only had access to the DL/D event, we often waited until the end to tip. Once we gained CL access, we moved between the venues enough that tipping per drink or nightly made a lot of sense, as we'd go to whichever venue felt right that night. Sometimes it seemed as if they might be pooling tips in some CL/DL's, as we'd see them slip the cash into a jar. However they handled the tips, the service was good so we were happy. when the voucher option was added on our IOS cruise, we tipped for each drink as we tried even more venues and had more servers.

They were on Explorer when I sailed in March.

I never use 3 letter abbreviations for the reason you brought up. I use the two letter designation the ships crew use.

EX Explorer

EN Enchantment

If you are diamond is it just wine or are there other drinks?

If you are diamond is it just wine or are there other drinks?

If your ship has the drink vouchers, you should be able to choose soda, selected beers, house wines, and basic mixed drinks.

Edited by clarea

This news makes me really sad! The majority of Concierges (both DL and CL) that we've experienced have been wonderful and have helped us with various things, although we don't usually need much from them. They've done or changed a some reservations for us and solved a few minor problems.

I'll never forget that shortened Allure hurricane Isaac cruise in Aug 2012 (I think you were there too, Carol!) when Guest Services was totally jammed with people the whole cruise. I griped a little to friends in the DL about having to go stand in line at GS to get my internet coupon applied. The DL Concierge (whose name I do not remember, I'm embarrassed to admit) overheard me and with a big smile told me he could take care of that for me, which he did. Now that was a WOW! It was just great to have access to someone who could help with whatever you needed.

Moreover, I think these people are fantastic front men/women for the cruise line. They are the ones with the real face to face interaction with RC's best customers.

Judy

Same here. I would hate to lose the concierges.

So my understanding is your card will be loaded with 3 drinks everyday usable in the Lounges or bars, all good and I think this is a plus.

Now if you are in a Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge do they scan your card when you order a drink or is it still open bar in the Lounges and then 3 drinks in the ships bars?

I have a feeling this will be implemented in the Lounges, it does not state it but if RCI wants to control costs it is a simple to implement and could be implied.

I believe when they use coupons on X due to crowding of Loyalty members 3 drinks is all you get.

If this is the case and drinks are capped at 3 then from my on board experience there will be a lot of heavy drinkers who will be upset if this is the intent of the program.

It would reduce RCI's liquor cost and allow more C&A members to enjoy the perk but anger the double fisted drinkers who lounge for 3 hours of heavy consumption.

Only time will tell how if it will be implemented as a drink limit but it does not read like they will be closing the lounges but likely capping consumption.

Only time will tell how if it will be implemented as a drink limit but it does not read like they will be closing the lounges but likely capping consumption.

It's possible for the future but not the way RCI has described it now. Time will tell, but I do not foresee the Diamond concierges going away, I don't see the lounges changed into a revenue producing space.

The vouchers are now on EOS and IOS they expect the total fleet roll out in to be done by 9/2014[/quote]

dfishner, where did you get the "complete roll out date--9/2014 ??"

is this total complete fact and can we hold you to it ???

WOW--i sure hope so. and thank you..:)

Edited by phish tales

Just got this email from RC:

YOUR ONBOARD LOUNGE BENEFITS JUST GOT BETTER

We are excited to introduce an expanded Crown & Anchor Society benefit for you during your upcoming cruise! In addition to the nightly receptions at the Diamond Lounge and the Concierge Lounge (for our Diamond Plus and Pinnacle guests), you now have the flexibility to enjoy happy hour at a wide variety of bars onboard.

Your SeaPass Card will be pre-loaded with three complimentary drink vouchers for each night of the sailing, which can be used during nightly lounge hours. Toast your way around the ship, on us!

This expanded benefit will be slowly rolled out across the entire fleet by Fall. Kindly note, drinks vouchers are not valid in the main dining room, the Windjammer Café or in any of our specialty restaurants, and expire daily.*

Guess they're here to stay! I think it's a nice perk, especially on ships without a dedicated Diamond Lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So this is NOT for Diamond members? Just Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members? I was told it was for Diamond members too...was I misinformed? Can anybody provide a copy of that letter, as we are booked on the Oasis in December? Just want to have my facts straight.

So this is NOT for Diamond members? Just Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members? I was told it was for Diamond members too...was I misinformed? Can anybody provide a copy of that letter, as we are booked on the Oasis in December? Just want to have my facts straight.

It states Diamond Lounge which is for Diamond Members and Concierge Lounge (D+ and Pin). The wording is a little kludgey but Diamond members are included.

So this is NOT for Diamond members? Just Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members? I was told it was for Diamond members too...was I misinformed?

I read it that way at first but going back and re-reading, think the D+ and Pinn reference in () is tied to the CL reference. Just blow the ( ) part away and read it w/o it.

In addition to the nightly receptions at the Diamond Lounge and the Concierge Lounge, you now have the flexibility to enjoy happy hour at a wide variety of bars onboard.

Now, 9/1 or end of Sept? Ship by ship?

I hope we get vouchers on our Liberty TA in October. Last year's TA had very high numbers of D/D+/Pinnacles and the lounges were a madhouse each night. Noisy, difficult to find a chair, difficult to get waited on.

I like the idea of being able to go to different bars!

Sherri:)

I haven't been to the DL often for drinks in the evening b/c travel with non-drinkers but I've gotten alot of coffee there. I was googling to see what the drink choices are, assuming bars would give same limited menu, and stumbled upon the "Diamond Event" info.

I think I'm remember why I didn't bother on ships w/o DL........ I don't like their wine, don't drink soda, and 25% off a mixed drink or beer really isn't a big deal. Do we know ships w/o a DL will get the same drink offerings with the coupons as other ships (that are likely to resemble DL offerings)?

Seems like it's a really big upgrade for ships w/o DL if we get 3 vouchers of free drinks, even off of limited menu, over the current Diamond "Event". It's more than a convenience thing, it's being able to get a rum and coke free instead of 25% off.

"Exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event will take place from approximately 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm (may vary by ship and itinerary) in a bar or lounge on every ship. This event will be announced by your Loyalty Ambassador onboard in the Welcome letter to be placed in your stateroom on the first day of your cruise vacation. We will offer complimentary wine, champagne (sparkling wine) and soda fountain drinks and a 'happy hour' discount of 25 percent off beer and liquor. There is a limit of one drink per member to be served at one time."

Guest maddycat
Booked on Explorer 9/6/14 and received this email

That's great. We're on the Explorer Oct. 23. and are now looking forward to using the vouchers around the ship. We didn't enjoy have the Diamond Event in the Cloud Nine and Seven of Hearts rooms this past April. The 19th Hole was reserved for gold card cruisers.

"Exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event will take place from approximately 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm (may vary by ship and itinerary) in a bar or lounge on every ship. This event will be announced by your Loyalty Ambassador onboard in the Welcome letter to be placed in your stateroom on the first day of your cruise vacation. We will offer complimentary wine, champagne (sparkling wine) and soda fountain drinks and a 'happy hour' discount of 25 percent off beer and liquor. There is a limit of one drink per member to be served at one time."

My only experience with a Diamond Event on a ship without a DL...after the first hour on the first night they told us to order anything we wanted and made sure to send us off to dinner with drinks in hand. Unexpected and pretty awesome.

Guest maddycat
Kind of off subject, but I never receive any e-mails from rccl about anything. I know they have my e-mail address....is there an option or something im missing in preferences?? any help would be appreciated!!

I wasn't getting emails from RCI either. I called crown and anchor about something else and mentioned that I wasn't receiving any email. She checked and they had my email address ending in .con instead of .com. Brilliant. She corrected it and I've been getting all of the emails since.

Oh happy day!

For a lot of reasons - wonderful!

-drink with who I want to, not sit alone in a lounge because my travel companion isn't Diamond (which Ive never done anyway)

-enjoy a cocktail while my Diamond teen enjoys a mock tail with out all the hairy eyeball, or we can both enjoy a mock tail!

-even get a cocktail and return to enjoy it on my balcony (where I prefer to be at sunset and sail away over a lounge any day of the week)

So I was 2 steps out, and they brought me one step back with this change! The last change that hooked me back in was MTD, this will put one in the "pro" column when considering a Royal cruise in the future :D

I think it is a good thing. I am one who almost never goes into the Diamond lounges because DH doesn't drink and DS isn't quite diamond.

I know this is minor - do they run your card and give you a slip? Makes it easier to tip because I don't carry cash on board.

Generally, I've found with "free" or pre paid stuff, the staff will give you a 0.00 bill to sign, specifically so you can add a tip if you want and to provide a receipt for the freebie (this has happened with pre paid specialty dining like Giovanni's, as well as free photos on many of my past cruises)

Edited by Familygoboston

When we did the Transatlantic on the Serenade in April this year we were giving unlimited drinks in 5 bars between 4.30 and 8pm each night.

Huh??? We were on that cruise and we, or anyone we knew, heard anything about this.

Was it announced somewhere?

So my understanding is your card will be loaded with 3 drinks everyday usable in the Lounges or bars, all good and I think this is a plus.

Now if you are in a Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge do they scan your card when you order a drink or is it still open bar in the Lounges and then 3 drinks in the ships bars?

I have a feeling this will be implemented in the Lounges, it does not state it but if RCI wants to control costs it is a simple to implement and could be implied.

I believe when they use coupons on X due to crowding of Loyalty members 3 drinks is all you get.

If this is the case and drinks are capped at 3 then from my on board experience there will be a lot of heavy drinkers who will be upset if this is the intent of the program.

It would reduce RCI's liquor cost and allow more C&A members to enjoy the perk but anger the double fisted drinkers who lounge for 3 hours of heavy consumption.

From reports of those involved when the voucher trial took place, then in the lounges your card wasn't swiped so the vouchers were in effect in addition to what you can get in the lounges.

However, I mentioned your point a long time ago that this is a easy way for RCI to control consumption and therefore costs when (and it will come) you are limited to the 3 drinks. However, I was attacked on here by the RCI cheerleaders and my comments derided as these cheerleaders apparently know it costs RCI next to nothing (according to them) to provide each C&A member with 3 free beverages on every night of a cruise. To me it doesn't matter how little it costs RCI to provide free drinks, it costs and anything they can do to reduce that makes good business sense.

As to angering those heavy drinkers who spend hours in the lounges, perhaps RCI and their staff have had enough of those who I have witnessed crowding the lounges before cocktail hour waiting for their free drinks and then consuming so much they can't speak clearly even though they are trying to berate the DL concierge later in a public venue. It's not always the young who are an embarrassment when intoxicated. If these frequent cruisers don't like it, well perhaps they can take their vacation dollars elsewhere, oh then again they aren't spending any money on drinks are they? So perhaps they'll just winge but won't go anywhere, otherwise it'll cost them!

Edited by peteukmcr