Thank you Cunard - NOT

Cruachan

So, it's 11 days to sailing day on V408 to Norway and Iceland, the packing is nearly done, the hotel is booked, the parking is booked and everything is going according to plan. Then this morning I receive an e-mail from Cunard with the subject line:

Emergency Notification <booking reference> JAMES CHRISTIE

Now, as regulars of this august forum will know, I have form when it comes to things getting broken just before I embark. So I am thinking not very pleasant thoughts - mostly centred around the possibility that, yet again, somebody has broken the boat just before I sail on her.

So, with some trepidation I open the e-mail to discover that this is what it was about:

"You may have read on Cruise Personaliser that we had planned to host five formal evenings during your cruise. Following a review this has been reduced to four with 25 June being changed to an informal evening."

Emergency notification? Really? Couldn't they just have given it the subject "Change to number of formal nights" or something?

J

Yes, I thought that was a bit bizarre, too. And like you, I thought something serious had happened. Someone being a bit daft shoreside - now that's a novelty....

Just waiting for the next "emergency" now - wonder what it will be. Run out of clotted cream perhaps.

J

Emergency notification? Really? Couldn't they just have given it the subject "Change to number of formal nights" or something? J
Or just "Urgent".

Makes me wonder what shoreside would do in a real emergency (you know, like finding their coffee had gone cold, or discovering they had the same shirt/blouse on as the numskull sat alongside them)?

Recently I had two "Very Important" reminders (letters) from shoreside, a couple of days apart, to inform me that final payment was due on a trip I'd booked.

A trip I'd taken (and paid for) last year.

It's Cunard!

Just imagine those who would pack for 5 nights and now will only get 4. Many would demand a refund. I'll bet that already happened that's why Cunard declared and emergency.

It's Cunard!

Communication, in general, is not Cunard's long suit. It should be--such a key ingredient of good customer service--but it isn't.

It's a shame. Gives a negative impression, which really isn't necessary.

Thoughtfulness implies someone thinking about a matter before taking action as well as having a concern for those affected.

Unfortunately, Cunard often isn't thoughtful in the way communication is handled in many situations---both on land and aboard ships.

DH and I tend to overlook this flaw by maintaining low expectations and often asking the same question multiple times.

So, it's 11 days to sailing day on V408 to Norway and Iceland, the packing is nearly done, the hotel is booked, the parking is booked and everything is going according to plan. Then this morning I receive an e-mail from Cunard with the subject line:

Emergency Notification <booking reference> JAMES CHRISTIE

Now, as regulars of this august forum will know, I have form when it comes to things getting broken just before I embark. So I am thinking not very pleasant thoughts - mostly centred around the possibility that, yet again, somebody has broken the boat just before I sail on her.

So, with some trepidation I open the e-mail to discover that this is what it was about:

"You may have read on Cruise Personaliser that we had planned to host five formal evenings during your cruise. Following a review this has been reduced to four with 25 June being changed to an informal evening."

Emergency notification? Really? Couldn't they just have given it the subject "Change to number of formal nights" or something?

J

on this cruise have received nothing in email or VP yet

Oh, the Humanity!!!! The horrors of the declining standards in the Western World. And yes, I can see the need for compensating those who might have been required to carry a no longer needed extra cummerbund.:eek::D

Oh, the Humanity!!!! The horrors of the declining standards in the Western World. And yes, I can see the need for compensating those who might have been required to carry a no longer needed extra cummerbund.:eek::D

It's just flaming well not good enough. I bought an extra pair of socks because of the five formal nights. What the heck am I going to do with three pairs of socks now?

J

'Fraid not - all negotiable currency is the Memsahib's part of ship. I am not to be trusted with the stuff. :D

J

In that case, you could draw a face on the foot of the sock and use it as a hand puppet to entertain your dinner companions.:eek::D

In that case, you could draw a face on the foot of the sock and use it as a hand puppet to entertain your dinner companions.:eek::D

Trust me - if you really have to have one of my socks at the dinner table it is infinitely better that it is safely encased in a shoe than having me wave it around on my hand! :eek:

J

Hello,surely no Cunard passenger would ever wave anything at the dining table,shame on you for the thought.

Rodger

Some do...I've seen table napkins waved by passengers in a circular pattern above their heads during the Salute to the Chefs (or whatever it's called) in the MDR. Very festive - unless of course, the napkin has tomato sauce on it...then it looks like a crime scene. :eek::D

It's just flaming well not good enough. I bought an extra pair of socks because of the five formal nights. What the heck am I going to do with three pairs of socks now?

J

Match them up to your 3 pair of undershorts???:eek::eek::D

J

Never call Cunard unresponsive again! I just received an email from Cunard titled "He has all the socks he needs".:eek: They watch, they listen, and-for you Cruachan- are on top of things.:D:D:eek:

Never call Cunard unresponsive again! I just received an email from Cunard titled "He has all the socks he needs".:eek: They watch, they listen, and-for you Cruachan- are on top of things.:D:D:eek:

I saw that one too - and it's quite astonishing that they even used my photograph to illustrate it! I wonder where they got hold of that. :D

J

I saw that one too - and it's quite astonishing that they even used my photograph to illustrate it! I wonder where they got hold of that. :D

J

Yikes! I don't get these interesting e-mails! Did Jimmy 3 Breakfasts appear as Jimmy 3 Pair Socks?

Edited by Salacia

So, today I get another e-mail from Cunard - this time to inform me that the timings for a shore excursion I booked in Olden have been put back by one hour.

However, this one is clearly not an emergency as the subject line was:

"Shore Excursions Communications"

Have Shoreside started reading the Cunard board?

J