Alaska Photojournal – Coral Princess + DIY Land Tour May 28 – June 9, 2014

AryMay

Have followed your trip with great enthusiasm. We leave on our Alaska cruise next weekend! And, oh yes, you will return. There is something about Alaska that has you returning. This will be my third cruise to AK. My first was when I turned 50 with 3 of my nursing school mates. My second was to celebrate our 25 th wedding anniversary. Now we are celebrating anniversary #30 and my husband's recent retirement. alaska has a way of luring you back. Thanks for the journey! I am excited for next weekend!

Happy anniversary...and best wishes on the retirement as well! Only a few more days until you leave!! Have a great cruise!! :)

I know these questions were not for me (the OP), but just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents anyway! :rolleyes:

I would definitely reserve the car in Skagway...and do it NOW. Depending on how many ships are in port at the same time may make a difference in the number of cars rented, but why take a chance. Most likely the cost will only go up the as you get closer to your cruise anyway. The reservation can always be cancelled if you change your mind.

There is really only one road heading out of Skagway so it would be hard to get lost! There was a section of the highway that was gravel when we were there, but it may be paved by the time you go. For the most part the highway was in excellent shape.

I would try and get your car first thing in the morning (again...make a reservation ahead!) and get started. Download Murray's Guide...the full version is $5 or you can get a shorter version for free. Just Google "Murray's Guide". Instead of printing the guide, I just downloaded it onto my iPad. Have one person be the "reader" as you travel (or are you traveling solo?)

Here is a recommendation from Murray's Guide website:

I recommend that a minimum of 5 hours be allowed for the trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back. For cruise ship passengers, I recommend Emerald Lake as the turn-around point so that they have time to see Skagway, and because the scenery north of Emerald Lake is nowhere near as dramatic as what has been seen to that point.

Your trip will probably be more enjoyable if you avoid the tour bus rush – that means heading north as soon as you get your car, and avoiding Caribou Crossing in particular between about 11:30 and 1:30.

Although 5 hours is suggested, we spent much longer on the drive because we stopped so often. If you are worried about time, just wait until you are on your way back to make any stops...that way you can better judge how much time you should take.

Ooh thanks so much for the advice! I have booked my car in skagway now .. haha the only thing I was uncertain about is the first thing I've booked for my ports :rolleyes:

Thanks again for sharing your fabulous photos. We just got back from our trip and went to many of the same stops. I enjoyed reading the thread even more the second time after being there.

Really appreciate your efforts to do all those posts !!

Oh my goodness! Everything you just listed is what I'm looking into doing .. and on the same boat!

I'm still waiting for Harv & Marv to let me know about availability .. but did you have time to go to mendenhall glacier and do the harv & marv tour when you arrived at 2P in Juneau? Did you pre reserve your vehicle at Avis? From what OP is saying .. it sounds like a good idea .. and what company did you book floatplane with and how much was it? Teheh I know I have a lot of questions' date=' but your itinerary is everything I have planned for myself .. although I'm a little scared to drive in Skagway for my first Alaska trip so we will see :)

Thanks in advance!![/quote']

Sorry, I've been away on vacation for the past week. Replies as follows:

With Harv & Marv, it would have been nice to have had a bit more time at Mendenhall Glacier. A bus dropped us off after our whale watch excursion and we were there maybe for 20 minutes. Another 30 minutes would have been great. We could have taken a taxi back from there to town, but I didn't feel comfortable in doing that, as it was later in the day... 6:00 p.m. or so and I still wanted to walk around Juneau a bit. Arymay was correct in suggesting you book a car now with Avis (not sure when you are sailing), and get to their offices early (we arrived at their offices by 7:45 a.m.) Driving was also extremely easy. Make sure you take you passport. The floatplane with Island Wings was $150.00 per person and very much well worth it. Michelle was our pilot and it was a pleasure to fly with her. I booked in February for our flight in June.

AryMay,

I have not been able to post a picture of your ship sailing Glacier Bay. If you would like to private message me, I would be more than willing to have a picture of your ship developed and mailed to you. That would be no problem at all.

You are so sweet to offer...but I don't want (or expect) you to go to all of that trouble!

Although some of the folks on these boards can be a bit "negative"...or just downright crabby...for the most part I love that CC posters are so helpful...and nice!

Thanks!! :) :)

Edited by AryMay

After a brief rest back at the hotel, we took advantage of another benefit of staying at the Best Western…a free pass on the False Creek Ferry to Granville Island.

Walking from the hotel to the ferry stop was a few blocks and took maybe 10 minutes or so. Once on the boat, the distance to the landing on the other side was very short…less than 5 minutes to get there.

The public market was very large with vendors selling fruits, vegetables, meats, crafts, tea, etc. There were also many different food stands with just about any ethnic fare you could want.

IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

After roaming around through the market it was time to eat. Bob was able to get one of his favorites…Thai food ($8.60 for a plate) and I splurgedcalorie-wise…and got a crepe ($5.20) filled with…butter & sugar! (You can do that sort of thing when you are on vacation!)

eWjnwwOV1z2uxdqulQeZTuSDAR_zBOPoR1n6S0hN3_Y=w793-h595-no

AgUmRW4L7WTc2b0AsOlQ7YsCVc3MrD01V4sMGx-LrY0=w793-h595-no

We were on the Coral two years ago doing tour then land and we had an overnight in Vancouver and went to Granville... I loved it there and I have wonderful pictures of the flowers. Brings back memories

Just read this plus your Emerald Princes photo/review. Fabulous. You sound a lot like me with the pre-planning and the pizza addiction. Loved having the pics to go with the information, really helpful. We will be on the Coral in Oct/Nov to Panama Canal plus we are looking to book Alaska for 2016, so your review was a double whammy for me. Great job! Really like how your canon 50 sx performs. May have to consider this for backup to my DSLR. Plus love the noodle, am trying to find it in stock somewhere.

Just read this plus your Emerald Princes photo/review. Fabulous. You sound a lot like me with the pre-planning and the pizza addiction. Loved having the pics to go with the information, really helpful. We will be on the Coral in Oct/Nov to Panama Canal plus we are looking to book Alaska for 2016, so your review was a double whammy for me. Great job! Really like how your canon 50 sx performs. May have to consider this for backup to my DSLR. Plus love the noodle, am trying to find it in stock somewhere.

I LOVE my swim noodle...hopefully you can find one! :)

I am jealous of you doing the Panama Canal cruise this year! This is the 100 year anniversary of the canal and I would have loved to be able to do that cruise this year. Eat a piece of pizza for me, OK?! ;)

• 3 months later...

Loved your review. We are going on the Star Princess May 30th-June 12th, as we booked the 6 Day Connoisseur Tour following the cruise.

I have no idea where to begin with what excursions to book. But your trip where you rented a car in Skagway, looks amazing. We now may do that!

Loved your review. We are going on the Star Princess May 30th-June 12th, as we booked the 6 Day Connoisseur Tour following the cruise.

I have no idea where to begin with what excursions to book. But your trip where you rented a car in Skagway, looks amazing. We now may do that!

I was overwhelmed when we first started planning too. Just keep reading trip reports...they are a great source of inspiration! We did enjoy our day in Skagway...it was nice to not have any time constraints and be able to stop when and where we wanted.

Your cruise/tour will be at the same time as ours was and so you should see quite a bit of snow still on the mountains. Although I have only been to Alaska once, the photos I've seen from later in the season just aren't as stunning without much snow. (But then we missed seeing salmon by going early in the summer. Guess that gives me a reason to plan another trip?)

I hope you have a great trip. The planning will keep you busy all winter!! :)

I don't know how, but somehow I just found this... and while I quite thoroughly thank you for every part of it, I am most grateful for the photos. I have the Canon SX50 and have been wondering if it will be "enough" for the trip. Your photos convinced me that it will be!

I don't know how, but somehow I just found this...

Not to take away from AryMay's trip report; it IS wonderful, but there are several more photjournals to enjoy in the STICKY above (called 2014 Trip Reports).

Edited by mapleleaves

I was so GLAD to read your positive remarks on the balcony stateroom...I was starting to think that we should not have spent the extra money, after reading so many remarks that people found it much more worthwhile to go to the public decks to look at the scenery ...We have a balcony on deck 9 when we cruise Alaska in Sept 2015 and because of your positive description of your time spent on your balcony, I am now more excited than ever...Thanks SO much for a GREAT review and pics...

Jasjas.

I was so GLAD to read your positive remarks on the balcony stateroom...I was starting to think that we should not have spent the extra money, after reading so many remarks that people found it much more worthwhile to go to the public decks to look at the scenery ...We have a balcony on deck 9 when we cruise Alaska in Sept 2015 and because of your positive description of your time spent on your balcony, I am now more excited than ever...Thanks SO much for a GREAT review and pics...

Jasjas.

Thanks for reading. I don't think you will be disappointed with the balcony. There is almost ALWAYS something to see while sailing on an Alaskan cruise and sometimes you just don't feel like being on a public deck all day long. Make sure you take along warm layers to wear so you are comfortable sitting on the balcony.

One other little hint to keep a bit warmer on the balcony...sit on a pillow (softness & insulation!) and ask your steward for an extra blanket. We had some of the fleece ones that were used by the outdoor movie screens...just the right size for lap robes!

Hi getting back to the weather, I see you are from Minnesota, so you are not like the Floridians that think 50 degrees is cold, do you have an idea what the actual temps were throughout most of your trip? We are going the week before you went next year. It seems from your photos that you were pretty well bundled up both on the ship and all all of the ports. Is that correct? ANd thanks for your great detailed review, the pics are great but I really like the actual details that you don't get from a guide book.

Hi getting back to the weather, I see you are from Minnesota, so you are not like the Floridians that think 50 degrees is cold, do you have an idea what the actual temps were throughout most of your trip? We are going the week before you went next year. It seems from your photos that you were pretty well bundled up both on the ship and all all of the ports. Is that correct? ANd thanks for your great detailed review, the pics are great but I really like the actual details that you don't get from a guide book.

Actually, thanks to Princess, I DO know what the temps were each day! At the end of the cruise we were given a "Log of the Cruise" that has all sorts of details compiled by the captain. Here are the temperatures that were recorded at noon each day:

June 1 Sea Day - 51º

June 2 Ketchikan - 57º

June 3 Juneau - 50º (light rain all day)

June 4 Skagway - 52º

June 5 Glacier Bay - 52º

June 6 College Fjord - 60º

Keep in mind you are on a moving ship so factor in a bit of "wind chill" for the sea days.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very excited to come across this report right now when I'm at the beginning of the planning phase. We, too are on the Coral at the end of May going Northbound, also planning to add on a few days at the end (probably Seward) and then fly out of Anchorage. Also, debating flying into Seattle vs Vancouver.

Grabbing a cup of coffee on this dreary day and plan to kick back and read/view on! Thank you!

I am very excited to come across this report right now when I'm at the beginning of the planning phase. We, too are on the Coral at the end of May going Northbound, also planning to add on a few days at the end (probably Seward) and then fly out of Anchorage. Also, debating flying into Seattle vs Vancouver.

Grabbing a cup of coffee on this dreary day and plan to kick back and read/view on! Thank you!

Thanks for reading...hopefully it was helpful. I remember how confused I was when I first began planning our trip...it was like working a puzzle, but I couldn't get all of the pieces to fit!

There are many people on this board who are much more knowledgeable than me, but if I can answer any questions, I would be happy to try. I save EVERYTHING and keep pretty detailed notes, spreadsheets, etc. from every cruise!

AryMay, I finished reading/viewing your amazing photojournal last night. Fantastic! I have to tell you I even got choked up a few times thinking about how wonderful this trip will be if it all can happen!

I have so many questions and comments for you! Because of your comment about being port side and the narration through glacier bay, I switched our cabin from Starboard to port. We were already on baja deck forward so I switched over to the other side. While researching I found out even though the agent assured me it was, that our cabin was not covered so I managed to switch to a cabin a few more toward midship to a covered one. I'm really hoping that front viewing deck won't be taped off for us!

I'm currently trying to put together our post cruise 3 days. I think we will be going to Seward also. Someone already asked you if you felt the Kenai fjords cruise was redundant after sailing glacier bay, College Fjords, and doing a whale watch in Juneau. We also will be sailing Our additional possible challenge is we will have our two teenagers- son turning 16 on day 7 of cruise and 13 yr old daughter. I don't want to overdo it to make it underwhelming for them. Being a former teacher, what is your general thought on this? I also have considered both major marine and Kenai fjords tours. If we do major marines 4.5 hr tour which includes lunch, I don't believe we leave resurrection bay. Same goes for the other company's half day tour. Do you remember if you saw Puffins and whales in that area or was it only once going out further? If we can have a chance to see them in Resurrection Bay, then I will feel better about doing the shorter tour.

Both serve a prime rib/salmon dinner- major marines is onboard while as you know KFT is at Fox Island so I guess that's not a factor.

My daughter also has been known to get motion sickness. A couple years ago on a ferry ride over to Capri from Naples, she felt horrible because the waters were really rough. Coming back, she was fine.

I am looking into the Ididaride excursion that your friends did. Did they enjoy it? Do you know which one they chose to do? I know they offer a couple of options. It is a huge #1 priority for my kids and I (DH can take it or leave it). I plan to book the glacier: heli ride in Juneau along with a whale watch, but if it gets cancelled, I want to make sure we get another chance. I'm just afraid if we book all of these excursions in Seward up front, then if our ship excursions get cancelled, we won't have space to fit in a redo. Did you book your Seward activities way in advance?

I have other questions, but I'll start with those!

We are Arymay's travel partners. We used Era Helicopter Tours in Juneau and did the Glacier Adventure Tour to the Tacu Glacier. Unfortunately, it was a gray, drizzly, rainy day while in Juneau with a very low cloud ceiling. I thought we would fly over the Juneau icefield on the way to the Tacu glacier, but all we did was fly up the Tacu River valley to the foot of the glacier. The clouds were super low and we had to fly underneath them. We landed on the Tacu glacier and tried to walk around, but the rain made the ice super slick. I was pretty disappointed overall. (We had already done a glacier expedition last summer on the Athabascan Glacier in the Canadian Rockies, so just walking on it was not that thrilling to me.) I had hoped to fly over the glaciers, but the clouds made that impossible. I had hoped for some stunning photos, but my camera just focused on all the raindrops on the window of the helicopter. We did take some photos with our waterproof camera while out on the glacier of a pretty blue pool, but that was it. The helicopter tour was my one regret of the trip. I felt like we had wasted the $299.98 per person. Back on board ship, we heard that other helicopter tours with other companies had been cancelled that day due to the poor weather conditions, but not ours. I wished it HAD been cancelled and saved us the $600!

My husband and I did the Seavey's Ididaride near the Exit Glacier near Seward. We actually booked that tour after purchasing a Groupon for a buy one ticket/get one free that Arymay sent me by email in March or April. We did not do the sled dog ride up on the glacier, just the $69/per person tour with the 2 mile ride through Box Canyon. We took the 3:30-5:00 tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. (I think I booked it about 6 weeks beforehand. We were there on June 9th.) We loved hearing all about how they train the dogs for the Iditarod Race, seeing how excited all the dogs got when it was time to hook them up to the sleds, cuddling future Iditarod champion puppies, and the ride through the canyon on a wheeled cart pulled by 12 sled dogs. We had 6 people in our cart: 2 in the front seat, 2 in the middle, and my husband and I in the back seat just in front of the musher. The cart was covered so even though it started to lightly rain we didn't get wet. Being in the back seat though, did make it more difficult to take good photos during the ride. Even so, we had a fun time doing it. My husband was the "volunteer" who got to put on the typical musher wardrobe to run the Iditarod Race, too. Pretty funny!

We also did the Husky Homestead tour, home of 4 time Iditarod champion, Jeff King, up in Denali Park, just outside of Denali National Park. It was about $10 cheaper per person, but there wasn't a ride of any type. However, we loved the entire tour. Jeff King is a phenomenal public speaker and kept us well entertained. It is a much bigger operation, but very enjoyable and informative as well. It was very well organized, well run, and was about 3 hrs. long. from the time we were picked up by shuttle bus to our return.

Hope that helps answer your questions :)

I just wanted to add some photos to go with the descriptions that Laurel just posted. I am trying to convince her to add some more to this review with her Denali experiences since we were not a part of that.

Laurel has some outstanding photos and fortunately I have access to them! She doesn't check Cruise Critic often, but I will let her know if you (or anyone else) has any questions on these tours.

From Seavey's Ididaride in Seward:

P1090957.JPG

P1090938.JPG

And also from their helicopter glacier tour in Juneau:

P1000548.JPG

P1000564.JPG

P1000558.JPG

P1070817.JPG