Alaska Photojournal – Coral Princess + DIY Land Tour May 28 – June 9, 2014

AryMay

That cabin should be just fine! It looks like most all of the port side balconies are already booked so there may not be much of a chance of getting one on the bump out section at this point.

The balcony is covered so you won't have to worry about rain!

I noticed in your signature that you were on the Freedom in July of 2009...just wondering if we sailed together! (We were onboard the first week in July and I did a review from that cruise as well...the link is in my signature. It is one of my favorite cruises!)

Yes we booked early and they were already gone😪. Our travel agent keeps checking for cancellations for us! I'll check the date on that cruise and see if we may have cruised together in the past😊. Thanks again for everything. Hubby & I went out and bought all our rain gear today !

• 3 weeks later...
Great review and photos .... We are booked for our 4th cruise to Alaska this summer. Our favorite destination.

Thanks for reading. I gained so much info from Cruise Critic that I felt compelled to pay it forward with my review!

I'm noticing more and more activity on the Alaska board lately...I'm sure many people are moving into "research mode" for the upcoming season! With three Alaska cruises under your belt you are a pro by now! :)

Thanks for reading. I gained so much info from Cruise Critic that I felt compelled to pay it forward with my review!

I'm noticing more and more activity on the Alaska board lately...I'm sure many people are moving into "research mode" for the upcoming season! With three Alaska cruises under your belt you are a pro by now! :)

A Princess Alaska cruise has a special place in our hearts ... we met on a Princess cruise to Alaska 28+ years ago and were married 3 months later.

First cruise was centered around the Canadian Expo (we docked there for 2 full days), Ketchikan, and Misty Fjord.

Second one included Tracy Arm.

Third one Glacier Bay.

Next one will be Tracy Arm also. Hubby's choice.

Then plan to really start saving so we can do the North & South bound cruises B2B OR a 14 day roundtrip (another cruiseline) out of Seattle. We want to see Hubbard Glacier and the cities further north without having to fly in or out of Anchorage.

Edited by MilliesMom

If you only knew how many times my sister and I have read through your review! We (and our husbands!) are taking this cruise in May, and your help and ideas are priceless.

Thank you!! (Love your blog, too!)

Susan ~

Hi AryMay,

You be careful about talking about teachers !! :):D:p Well maybe you are right about MATH teachers... just kidding !:)

I was a teacher in an elementary school for 43 years and had the greatest career in the world !!

Cruised many many times --all in the Caribbean or warm climates. Reason.... it was -24 degrees F on our deck this morning with 2 feet of snow on the ground. We live in NW PA. Therefore we LOVE warm climates. But everyone says Alaska is beautiful, therefore we are going. I can then scratch it off my bucket list !!:eek:

Your review was really great and pictures verify what people say..ALASKA IS BEAUTIUL !!!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your pictures and review. We will be on the NCL Pearl in August, 2015.

Like the idea of the rental car in Skagway..is Avis the only rental agency that you found in your research ? never had rain gear...was yours lightweight and include pants and jacket ? You know us conservative teachers..was going to the cleaners to get plastic bags to use....but, maybe not !!!! :D

Thanks for your help.

Knarf which is Frank backwards

Hey AM,

Thanks very much for a great report, except that I had gotten a Canon w/a 30:1 zoom for our upcoming visit to AK, and I now feel very inadequate compared to your SX50.

I shall be entering psycotherapy next week.

Ira

If you only knew how many times my sister and I have read through your review! We (and our husbands!) are taking this cruise in May, and your help and ideas are priceless.

Thank you!! (Love your blog, too!)

Susan ~

I'm so glad the review has been helpful. Planning our trip was pretty stressful and I remember how I appreciated reports with lots of details and photos. Laurel and I are both obsessive when it comes to trip planning, but it paid off! In looking back, I'm not sure there would be anything that I would have changed or done differently.

My blog is kind of at a stand-still right now, but more will be added in the coming month once we return from our next adventure! :)

Hi AryMay,

You be careful about talking about teachers !! :):D:p Well maybe you are right about MATH teachers... just kidding !:)

I was a teacher in an elementary school for 43 years and had the greatest career in the world !!

Cruised many many times --all in the Caribbean or warm climates. Reason.... it was -24 degrees F on our deck this morning with 2 feet of snow on the ground. We live in NW PA. Therefore we LOVE warm climates. But everyone says Alaska is beautiful, therefore we are going. I can then scratch it off my bucket list !!:eek:

Your review was really great and pictures verify what people say..ALASKA IS BEAUTIUL !!!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your pictures and review. We will be on the NCL Pearl in August, 2015.

Like the idea of the rental car in Skagway..is Avis the only rental agency that you found in your research ? never had rain gear...was yours lightweight and include pants and jacket ? You know us conservative teachers..was going to the cleaners to get plastic bags to use....but, maybe not !!!!

Thanks for your help.

Knarf which is Frank backwards

You have many, many more years of teaching under your belt than I did!! I taught for a couple of years after college, but then took a 17 year hiatus to be a stay-at-home mom...a decision I NEVER regretted!! After all that time I was fortunate to be hired back by the same school district to finish out my career. By the time I returned to the classroom, I was teaching the next generation of my former students!

I understand your feelings about not wanting to vacation in a cold climate! Our wind chill was -32 degrees this morning (but at least we don't have much snow this winter!) Even so, I'm pretty sure you will come away happy that you visited Alaska. We followed the Pearl (or vice-versa) all through Alaska so I have numerous photos of the ship.

As far as I know Avis is the only car rental place in Skagway. I think there was another place that rented older cars called Sourdough Rentals, but not sure of their status now. You could also rent a jeep from Green Jeep Tours but they were considerably more expensive.

For raingear I had my Northface Venture Waterproof Jacket that I wore a LOT. I bought it at the end of the season in 2013. Regular price was around $100 but I think I paid $79. It is "slightly" bigger than what I normally would wear, but worked out well for layering. I hated paying that much for a jacket since I am a "conservative teacher" ;), but after spending all day in the rain in Juneau I was so glad to be dry! After getting home I have worn the jacket frequently so it was a good investment.

The rain pants were actually men's that I ordered from Sierra Trading Post. They were too big and too long so I used rubber bands to keep the pants from dragging on the ground! I only paid $14 for the pants because more than likely I will never wear them again! (But they fit my husband so he might get some use out of them.) Here is a link to the ones I bought...I must have hit a sale because the price is now $24.95. You will have to decide if it is a better option than plastic bags!!

Sierra Trading Post Rain Pants

You know how things go...if you don't have the rain gear it will rain every day of the trip. Since I had waterproof EVERYTHING we had mostly nice weather!

Hey AM,

Thanks very much for a great report, except that I had gotten a Canon w/a 30:1 zoom for our upcoming visit to AK, and I now feel very inadequate compared to your SX50.

I shall be entering psycotherapy next week.

Ira

Haha! Well at least you are getting some professional help! ;)

As much as I enjoyed using the SX50 in Alaska, I really don't think it will be used much on our upcoming Caribbean cruise. We are doing a B2B with eight different ports...seven of which will involve beaches/snorkeling, etc. Not good environments for the SX50! Instead I will be putting my older Canon D10 to use. (Although as it ages, I am getting more and more paranoid about putting the camera in water!)

I think this would be a great trip for a GoPro...but would have a hard time convincing my husband that I need another camera! Maybe I need to join you in therapy for my camera addiction!

Hi AryMay,

Thanks for the rain gear information. Looks like I will have to break the budget and purchase some better rain gear than the "clearer bags" !:eek:

I have reserved a car with Avis for our day in Skagway.

Funny you mentioned about next generation of former students, a few years before I retired I was "working" with grandchildren of former students. I had to look in the mirror and ask......is it time !! :).

All the schools are closed today because of the cold and windchill.

And next week's forecast all days below 20 degrees. As they say on Sportscenter.....COME ON NOW !!! :p

Knarf/Frank

Thank you so much for this review. I have really enjoyed the photos and commentary and getting excited for my first trip to Alaska in June.

I have 3 days in Vancouver prior to my cruise on Celebrity Infinty and have now booked my tours.

Sea to Sky train from Vancouver to Whistler for a day.

Misty bay Whale watch in Icy Straight Point.

Hank and Marv's whale watch in Juneu

Float plane through Misty Fjords with Island Wings in Ketchikam.

I have also treated myself to an aft cabin and so looking forward to sitting out enjoying the view.

I hope to write a review on my return and hope I can do it justice!

Thanks again.

Pat

Edited by Deeliteful

• 1 month later...

Hi Arymay & 2batongirl

I just had to thank you both for taking the time to post your review and pictures. This was the best review I have ever read and your pictures are beyond belief!! I am a sun worshipper so had never considered an Alaskan cruise but my husband has always wanted to cruise Alaska. We are now in the planning stages for an Alaskan cruise in 2017. Your detailed review is really helping us make our plans.

Thanks again....looking forward to reading all your other reviews now :)

Hi Arymay & 2batongirl

I just had to thank you both for taking the time to post your review and pictures. This was the best review I have ever read and your pictures are beyond belief!! I am a sun worshipper so had never considered an Alaskan cruise but my husband has always wanted to cruise Alaska. We are now in the planning stages for an Alaskan cruise in 2017. Your detailed review is really helping us make our plans.

Thanks again....looking forward to reading all your other reviews now :)

I'm so glad people are still finding this review helpeful!

I can totally relate when you say you are a sun worshipper and never considered Alaska...same here. When you live in Minnesota vacations SHOULD be to someplace warm!

But...I'm a convert now! I think one of the things that I liked best about our Alaska cruise was that the scenery comes to you...you don't have to go looking for it at the ports. From the moment my eyes opened at morning until I forced myself to go to bed at night there was always something to see! :)

Fantastic review Arymay! Thank you for taking the time to post all the wonderful insights and photos.

Thanks so much!

If anyone would rather read the review without all of the extra comments from others (although those sometimes have useful information as well!) I put the link to my blog in my signature. The blog has the same review except I included even a few MORE photos than I posted here on Cruise Critic.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the Great Alaska Photo Review...seems like you may have applied some blue to some of those photos...especially the one on your balcony bare chested. :):):):)

Actually the blue in the photo you mentioned is just how it came out using the camera's auto setting. The photo was taken late at night (around 11 p.m. I believe) so the weird lighting was probably the cause. I did use the "vivid" setting on my camera for some of the glaciers, but found it made them a very unnatural color of blue...I can't remember if I used any of those in the review or not.

Oh...and thanks to you for your extensive website...I have used it many times when planning a cruise! :)

• 1 year later...

AryMay

I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your beautiful photos. We are on the Coral May 2018 travelling Vancouver to Anchorage then onwards into Denali with our final destination Fairbanks. Sure excited especially about see the wildlife and in particular whales! This has helped kick start my planning. I'll be re-reading and adding more notes to the 2 pages already filled.

Thanks for taking the time and effort

• 8 months later...
AryMay

I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your beautiful photos. We are on the Coral May 2018 travelling Vancouver to Anchorage then onwards into Denali with our final destination Fairbanks. Sure excited especially about see the wildlife and in particular whales! This has helped kick start my planning. I'll be re-reading and adding more notes to the 2 pages already filled.

Thanks for taking the time and effort

Hey AussieGypsie! I just re-read her blog too! Great minds think alike. I hope we run into each other on our cruise. Last I checked no one had set up a meet and greet yet.

Hey AussieGypsie! I just re-read her blog too! Great minds think alike. I hope we run into each other on our cruise. Last I checked no one had set up a meet and greet yet.

After 4 years I'm tickled to death that people are still reading this review!

This past May we did our 2nd trip to Alaska...a 14-day itinerary on NCL. I didn't do a review here on Cruise Critic, but I did do daily posts on my blog with lots and lots of photos. If you are are still in need of an "Alaska fix" you can find the blog here: Alaska Here We Come!

At the beginning of the posts for each port there should be a link highlighted in yellow for YouTube videos that I also put together. I'm definitely a novice at video editing, but I found that my adult kids were at least willing to watch videos whereas they refuse to sit and look at my photos. I feel it is important for them to know where we are spending their inheritance! ;)

Have a great time on your cruise!

Hi there CherryHarley I'll keep an eye out for you and if you dump into two Australians from Sydney that could be me and my husband. Not too long to go now. I don't usually go to the meet and greet as I find that we get to meet so many people with the anytime dinning and just basically striking up conversations wherever we happen to go.

Wow Arymay what a wonderful review and photos!

Have just spent my morning reading and looking at your wonderful photos! Going to look at your blog now of your other trips!

Hoping to do a southbound cruise on the Coral next year with a land tour first (not sure if DIY, cruise tour or other land tour company). I have book marked a lot of the sites you visited for future reference. Also plan on taking the train from Vancouver to Seattle at the end of the cruise to spend some time in Seattle and then venturing further south via train to San Francisco, so your photos and tips about seating will be very helpful.

Your recount of your daily adventures and the photos were very inspiring! Thank you!