Bermuda Shorts and LeBistro

TravelJoe

I've searched the threads here and I can't seem to find a solid answer, so if anyone has encountered recently, I'd appreciate the feedback.

For the "sophisticated" dining rooms (Manhattan, LeBristro, Ocen Blue) the "what to pack" commentary on NCL.com states...

"...if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise."

We sailed on the Star previously, and I remember wearing nice Bermuda shorts and nice shirt to LeBistro, without the long socks and blazer.

Is that still acceptable, or do I need to don the long socks and blazer (as well as the laughs from my 20+ y/o kids)???

Has anyone seen nicely dressed shorts in these restaurants?

I've searched the threads here and I can't seem to find a solid answer, so if anyone has encountered recently, I'd appreciate the feedback.

For the "sophisticated" dining rooms (Manhattan, LeBristro, Ocen Blue) the "what to pack" commentary on NCL.com states...

"...if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise."

We sailed on the Star previously, and I remember wearing nice Bermuda shorts and nice shirt to LeBistro, without the long socks and blazer.

Is that still acceptable, or do I need to don the long socks and blazer (as well as the laughs from my 20+ y/o kids)???

Has anyone seen nicely dressed shorts in these restaurants?

I have not seen any shorts in Le Bistro. It might be easier to just put on a pair of dockers or jeans, which are allowed. I know my husband would much prefer that to a pair of dress knee socks and a blazer with shorts!! Not to mention, he would have to go out and buy a pair of "loafers".

Edited by punkincc

As someone else mentioned when somebody asked about dress in Alaska - the temperature inside the ship is the same no matter where the ship is. Tropics, Bermuda, Alaska, New England.

So, long pants would be comfortable.

(by the way, since I recently lost my "stupid" sign, you should know I am not attempting to suggest you can not wear shorts)

I have not seen any shorts in Le Bistro. It might be easier to just put on a pair of dockers or jeans, which are allowed. I know my husband would much prefer that to a pair of dress knee socks and a blazer with shorts!! Not to mention, he would have to go out and buy a pair of "loafers".

Thanks for the response... yes, planning on packing just in case, but I hate long pants -- especially in the summer. I'm the crazy neighbor that's out shoveling my driveway snow n shorts, boots, and a fleece jacket in NY.

As someone else mentioned when somebody asked about dress in Alaska - the temperature inside the ship is the same no matter where the ship is. Tropics, Bermuda, Alaska, New England.

So, long pants would be comfortable.

(by the way, since I recently lost my "stupid" sign, you should know I am not attempting to suggest you can not wear shorts)

Thanks... saw the other Alaska post, but I have a "countdown clock" that says where I'm going and when.... Our "Alaska" OP did not. :p (and getting very close!!!)

I'm just a "shorts" kinda guy... Can't wear them to work, and do believe that a sportscoat with long socks and shorts looks a bit odd. Guess I'll have to go with the Dockers.

...I'm just a "shorts" kinda guy... Can't wear them to work, and do believe that a sportscoat with long socks and shorts looks a bit odd. Guess I'll have to go with the Dockers.

The day I would wear shorts, long socks and a sport coat is, well.. something will be freezing over.

I have seen folks do that in Bermuda. Strange looking for sure. I do like the shorts idea though.

Last summer my guy bought long socks, Bermuda shorts, and a coordinating tie at the English Sport shop on Front Street in Hamilton. Wore them with his navy blazer to Moderno. Damn, I love that man. He's got the legs for it, and in my humble opinion, totally rocked the look. Certainly not for everyone though.

Last summer my guy bought long socks, Bermuda shorts, and a coordinating tie at the English Sport shop on Front Street in Hamilton. Wore them with his navy blazer to Moderno. Damn, I love that man. He's got the legs for it, and in my humble opinion, totally rocked the look. Certainly not for everyone though.

Wow, that is awesome! I think it is a really nice look on a man. Did you get any pictures? :)

Last year on the Breakaway, the manager at Le Bistro wouldn't let us in because my daughter was wearing a (dressy) black lace jumper (which was shorts). The funny thing about it was that she looked very dressed and my son, who they would have had no problem letting in, was wearing grey jeans, a t-shirt and high top sneakers! My kids at that time were 19 and 20 - not small children.

Basically, no shorts means no shorts!!!

So if you wear pants, is a jacket still required? Or will slacks and a polo shirt do?

A jacket is not required anywhere on any NCL ship (even less so a tie - Thank God!)

Edited by SteveH2508

The day I would wear shorts, long socks and a sport coat is, well.. something will be freezing over.

I have seen folks do that in Bermuda. Strange looking for sure. I do like the shorts idea though.

LMAO.........My thought EXACTLY while I was reading that sign LOL:eek:

For a guy...one pair of dockers or kakies, one collared shirt, one pair of closed toe shoes, and you are good to go....any eating place on the ship...any time. Better bring two pairs though if you spill like I do. I like to think that is a pretty simple dress requirement to cover all the bases.

I would think with the reasonable UDP price the rules will not be bent on the dress code.

I personally hate to wear long pants when cruising but do if I am eating dinner at a place where you are served.

Now that I know I can wear shorts to all except le bistro I will certainly do that.

I think If your cruise is free style you should be able to wear what you want in any dining venue but that's my two cents.

BTW the last time I wore Bermuda shorts, a sports coat, long socks and loafers was Halloween and I went at Bif from the country club lol

We dined in Le Bistro once and every man in there had a suit and tie on!

Really?! When we were on the Breakaway and ate in Le Bistro, it seemed maybe only a third of the men were in jacket/ties, most were in polo shirts and chinos. I know I didn't wear a suit, neither did my husband. I will say, however, that I didn't see anyone wearing shorts, though I do think a pair of Bermudas with the long socks/loafers/sport coat looks pretty sharp.