A new ship for Princess in 2017?

caribill

As to the age.....would you rather see them sell off an older ship and build new....(costing more) or do something on the order of what Carnival did to Destiny to make Sunshine?....I seems that alot of the fans of Princess don't seem to want the Megaships .....so.....any opinions?

I happened to go on the Destiny in her inaugural year, and what CCL did to Carnival Destiny (renamed Carnival Sunshine after the refit) is similar to what PCL is doing to Island Princess, but much worse. The rebuilt ship looks nice (there were plenty of pictures over on the Carnival Forum at the time), but I can only imagine how horribly crowded it is now.

And by getting rid of Ocean Princess, and eventually the Pacific Princess, it would seem that Princess Cruises is no longer interested in the small-ship market.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised that sometime in 2016 Princess Cruises will announce another two Royal-class ships ordered for delivery in 2018 and 2020. That would be a total of five of them, before the next new design comes out for construction after that, similar to how RCI went from a larger Oasis of the Seas to the Quantum of the Seas. Maybe they'll adopt the new Holland-America Pinnacle-class for Princess Cruises and scale down the size of their new ships a bit.

:D

Hi Dave

May be l will need to go and check out the loo paper holders on the Britannia:D

Yours Shogun

Wow! Would you, could you!?!? That would be really great if you did... ;)

I did see that Britannia has a cruise in August where she and scheduled to be at Guernsey the same day as Royal Princess. That would make for a great photo op.

I wish that Princess would put a Crow's Nest type venue forward on Lido deck like on the Britannia and do something else with the Club 6 area. Now that would be an improvement :)

http://www.pocruises.com/Global/Britannia_Microsite_Background_Images/1/d_crowsNest.jpg

Edited by IECalCruiser

I wish that Princess would put a Crow's Nest type venue forward on Lido deck like on the Britannia and do something else with the Club 6 area. Now that would be an improvement :)

http://www.pocruises.com/Global/Britannia_Microsite_Background_Images/1/d_crowsNest.jpg

I completely agree. In fact, they should make it a two story venue starting on Marina deck, with glass walls. They'd lose 16 cabins, but it'd be spectacular.

Wow! Would you, could you!?!? That would be really great if you did... ;)

I did see that Britannia has a cruise in August where she and scheduled to be at Guernsey the same day as Royal Princess. That would make for a great photo op.

Dave,

Will you be doing another commentary on the new ship? Maybe we can get our dates together and actually be on the ship at the same time. :D

Marty

Dave,

Will you be doing another commentary on the new ship? Maybe we can get our dates together and actually be on the ship at the same time. :D

Marty

No 'Everything' thread or commentary on Britannia. She's already built and in final stages of fitting out. And there's ZERO chance I'll ever sail her - she's 'not my cup of tea' anyway.

But as you have hinted at, my energy is best saved for the next three ;) Royal-class new-builds for Princess Cruises. Hopefully I'm still around. lol

Do you REALLY want to see 3 more Royal calss builds?.......or just want to live that long?...lol

No 'Everything' thread or commentary on Britannia. She's already built and in final stages of fitting out. And there's ZERO chance I'll ever sail her - she's 'not my cup of tea' anyway.

But as you have hinted at, my energy is best saved for the next three ;) Royal-class new-builds for Princess Cruises. Hopefully I'm still around. lol

i don't know......

As to the builds....I don't really think the Royal class is very innovative, I wish they would reintroduce a Grand suite...or I guess it would be Royal suite....I REALLY like the big suites

As to you living that long........."shrug" I am ok with it....lol

Both.

i don't know......

As to the builds....I don't really think the Royal class is very innovative, I wish they would reintroduce a Grand suite...or I guess it would be Royal suite....I REALLY like the big suites

As to you living that long........."shrug" I am ok with it....lol. THANKS!!! ;)

Innovation in itself isn't always everything, as long as their ships are up to date with some of the lastest technology that makes passengers lives aboard ship easier, as well as offering more user interface and entertainment options. But turning Princess Cruises ships into floating amusement parks with 100 yard-long intertwined spiraling water slide tubes, elevating observation swing arms with passenger capsules attached, or cage-like three-story high ropes courses would be a mistake; let Princess be Princess.

And I had mentioned over on the 'suite thread' that Princess Cruises really do need to re-evaluate the size and/or configuration of the Owners Suites on the Royal-class vessels, and regardless of the loss of revenue, eliminate the last two balcony cabins on each accommodation deck and add that space to the living room area. These next three new-builds gives them plenty of time to adjust the builders plans to continue to improve these ships.

I think the days of the big suite are gone forever .....i have a feeling Princesss would have dumped the owners suites as well if they thought they could get away with it this round......think they want to go with the smallest balcony cabin they can get way with as the "standard" cabin...filled in with interiors. tey will probably go with the monitors simulating a window with a sea view soon in the interiors..(that probably a good thing)

Innovation in itself isn't always everything, as long as their ships are up to date with some of the lastest technology that makes passengers lives aboard ship easier, as well as offering more user interface and entertainment options. But turning Princess Cruises ships into floating amusement parks with 100 yard-long intertwined spiraling water slide tubes, elevating observation swing arms with passenger capsules attached, or cage-like three-story high ropes courses would be a mistake; let Princess be Princess.

And I had mentioned over on the 'suite thread' that Princess Cruises really do need to re-evaluate the size and/or configuration of the Owners Suites on the Royal-class vessels, and regardless of the loss of revenue, eliminate the last two balcony cabins on each accommodation deck and add that space to the living room area. These next three new-builds gives them plenty of time to adjust the builders plans to continue to improve these ships.

I think they want to go with the smallest balcony cabin they can get way with as the "standard" cabin...filled in with interiors. tey will probably go with the monitors simulating a window with a sea view soon in the interiors..(that probably a good thing)

I've seen those wall-sized 'video screen monitors' for interior cabins over on the Quantum of the Seas threads, and as really cool as they are, I wonder if it's worth the investment, repair, and maintenance upkeep costs. I spend very little time in my inside cabin, and may get some use (five minutes or so while I'm getting ready to head out) of that 'window to the outside', but truly do not think that they are practical for Princess Cruises ships.

It would be interesting to hear what other innovations Princess Cruises passengers would like to see that wouldn't turn these ships into a 'RCI wanna-be'.

Edited by dmwnc1959

Dave;

We can only hope this happens. That would be the perfect mix that could get me back on a Royal Class in an OS suite (as long as they fix the soot problem).....:):):)

Bob

I think the days of the big suite are gone forever .....i have a feeling Princesss would have dumped the owners suites as well if they thought they could get away with it this time round...

Remember too, that during construction of Royal Princess, they eliminated two of the aft facing D4 balcony cabins, one on each side of the stern, and added/reconfigured the Owners Suites. Imagine how much smaller/different they would have been had they not done that.

Edited by dmwnc1959

Dave;

We can only hope this happens. That would be the perfect mix that could get me back on a Royal Class in an OS suite (as long as they fix the soot problem).....:):):)

Bob

I would be disappointed if Princess Cruises didn't do something to improve the limited space which encompasses the Owners Suite. If you remember during the 'Bon Voyage' thread, after I toured one of them during a cabin crawl, my comment was 'Bob, now I get it', referring to your personal expectations, and then disappointment, with those accommodations.

Well i like some innovation....or luxury....and I would love to see a bit on princess.....like the rain showers on the celebrity ships...in the suites that is....the bathrooms in the S class penhouse suites ar amazing.

I would be disappointed if Princess Cruises didn't do something to improve the limited space which encompasses the Owners Suite. If you remember during the 'Bon Voyage' thread, after I toured one of them during a cabin crawl, my comment was 'Bob, now I get it', referring to your personal expectations, and then disappointment, with those accommodations.

Well i like some innovation....or luxury....and I would love to see a bit on princess.....like the rain showers on the celebrity ships...in the suites that is....the bathrooms in the S class penhouse suites ar amazing.

For the most part, I've never been overly impressed with any of the pictures I've seen of Princess Cruises Owners Suites on any of their ships. And, unfortunately for them, many other cruise lines - Celebrity Cruises, Holland-America, Royal Caribbean, and even Norwegian Cruise Lines - 'do' suites much better than Princess Cruises.

And yes, to make up for that, they could at least try to make them much more luxurious, as the name implies: Owners Suite.

Hi Dave

You might know this, did I read somewhere that the new ships, although based on Royal class, will be a bit different? a bit like taking Grand class (Grand, Golden) and making them diffferent for super Grand class (CB, Crown etc) - although I hope without any extra cabins?

Might it possibly mean they will reconfigure deck 7, and have 'finished' central stairs?

Hi Dave

You might know this, did I read somewhere that the new ships, although based on Royal class, will be a bit different? a bit like taking Grand class (Grand, Golden) and making them diffferent for super Grand class (CB, Crown etc) - although I hope without any extra cabins?

Might it possibly mean they will reconfigure deck 7, and have 'finished' central stairs?

There had been several press releases last summer that mentioned the new ship wouldn't be an 'exact copy' yet 'based on the same platform', which could mean just about anything including a completed central stair well, repurposing of the interior public spaces (i.e. Princess Live), and altering the lido deck pool area to become more like Britannia. One article by Seatrade Insider quoted Princess Cruises as saying "The design will also include some innovations, to be announced later." It'll be interesting to see what they do change.

Hi Dave

If you are referring to the lack of a central stairway going up to the upper decks, I doubt this will happen. We were fortunate to have spent an hour on the bridge of the Regal and spoke with the First Officer about this and he mentioned that after much study it was evident that this stairway wasn't used that much and the expansion of the Atrium space would be better used by passengers to hangout and enjoy the activities there.

Having been on both Royal Class ships now and in cabins midship I have yet to see an issue with the lack of a central stairway. It only takes 1 minute to walk to either the forward or aft stairway. In addition, if one is really bent on taking the stairs then why would they complain about a 1 minute walk? The only time the stairway would have been nice would be during Muster Drill to ease the congestion at the other stairways, but that's only once a voyage. The large open area of the Atrium is beautiful and very effective for the entertainment and shopping experience.

Dave;

I'm sure your initial reactions were just as surprising as mine were. I think the OS suite had a great deal of influence on my overall cruise experience. I'll admit, as I did earlier, that it caused me to judge my total cruise experience more harshly than I probably should have.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G