New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

The Grand Opening with the mayor is on Thursday, September 25th, 12 noon to 3 pm which I have been invited to. Sorry for the confusion.

Tom:D

Thanks for the great photos.....will be nice to check it out in person.

Also, do you have the agenda for the 25th, grand opening?

YEA!!!I received my Invitation to the Grand Opening with the Mayor on September 27th and conformation of the Soft Opening with the media on September 18th. I've been invited to the events by the SF Port Director and I'll be reporting both events along with photos. Looking forward to see the new terminal.

SF Tom:D

How do you rate an invite, Tom!? I didn't get one, merde. :-(( Congrats, of course.[/ COLOR]

Edited by Treven

We are cruising on 10/1 to Mexico and arriving back in SF on 10/11. We decided to stay on the Star and do the Coastal!! We can see the Blue Angels from the ship and because it is a B2B, we won't have to muster!! I've been wanting to go to San Diego, so we will go by ship instead of driving there. :eek: :D

Cheers, Denise

We're on the same page as you Denise!

That's funny...I've lived in the bay area my whole life and haven't gone to San Diego or Santa Barbara either!

We booked Mexico first, but when I saw the fleet week dates we decided to do our first B2B:)

Yay no Muster! just an airshow:) See you soon!

Thanks for the great photos.....will be nice to check it out in person.

Also, do you have the agenda for the 25th, grand opening?

All I have is the date & time. Guess I'll find out when I get there.

Looking forward to it. :D

Tom:)

How do you rate an invite, Tom!? I didn't get one, merde. :-(( Congrats, of course.[/ COLOR]

I've been in contact with the port and asked if they were going to do anything special so that I could report back to CC members. As a result of this I have been invited to these events and I'll be reporting back as to what I observe and hear.

I'm reposting information with information about the new terminal that I received.

At Pier 27, the Port of San Francisco’s new cruise terminal, opening in September 2014, private cars, taxis, and busses will be able to enter the facility’s Ground Transportation Area, inside the main gate, to drop off and pick up cruise guests. The drop-off and pick-up area will be at the curb, conveniently located adjacent to the terminal’s entry and exit doors. The traffic pattern will be similar to an airport. Sorry, no “free workout.”

Arriving guests who do not have their cabin number will give their names to the longshore clerk on duty, who will have the passenger manifest and be able to advise the cabin number. Luggage tags will be filled out on the spot before the bags are taken for screening and delivery to the ship.

Regards,

Michael Nerney

Port of San Francisco

Seems kinda funny, people have donated to the cruise terminal's park by buying the memorial bricks (a few hundred dollars) and other things and didn't get invited to the opening. Guess they have a different set of priorities at SF Port Authority.

But then they have never been known as the most efficient agency in the city.

FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS

passengers should know that bus loading will be OUTSIDE, just what you need in the winter in SF when it rains. Such wonderful planning.

No long term parking near the new terminal, have to use the long term parking near the old Pier 35.

Will have the same rude obnoxious porters trying to extort tip money from passengers even though they are paid upwards of $45 an hour. If you are asked for money from a porter please make note of his number on his vest and report it to one of the check-in agents. They will follow up with the management. Tipping is NOT required or necessary.

Just be prepared

Thank you Tom

We still haven't decided the best transportation for us coming from the other side of the bridge. Drop off and pick up sounds much easier than pier 35.

Yes, thanks Tom. I'm certainly looking forward to the new terminal.

Hi Tom, yesterday I picked up my neighbor getting off Celebrity Century on Pier 35 and had to passed Pier 27 twice and I did not see anyone beyond the barricades. It was empty. I'm looking forward to your photos and descriptions of how it's layout. Enjoy the reception..........:D

Hi Tom, yesterday I picked up my neighbor getting off Celebrity Century on Pier 35 and had to passed Pier 27 twice and I did not see anyone beyond the barricades. It was empty. I'm looking forward to your photos and descriptions of how it's layout. Enjoy the reception..........:D

Because today is the 1st day of operation for the terminal. They still haven't finished it as they are still installing lights, but those are not necessary for the operation of the cruise terminal - more for night time surveillence.

Passengers should know that bus loading will be OUTSIDE, just what you need in the winter in SF when it rains. Such wonderful planning.

Right now, that is almost funny! I think locals would do a dance if we actually had significant rain..... ;)

Gees, this is the first info on the opening and I am pleased. However I too have friends on the Grand who are coming in to the city on Sept. 25th. I am planning on picking them up at the ship, so hope I will be able to do that without a hassle. BTW, one can easily walk from pier 27 to Fisherman's wharf and the pier 39 where all the shops are. It would take maybe a 10 minute walk, 15 at most. Do remember the city often is on the cool side so bring a lightweight jacket or sweater.

Not sure why all the negativity. Can't help but think the new pier will be a positive addition to the waterfront and the cruise industry.

Have come and gone through pier 35 a few times (also pier 30), wasn't the world's greatest experience but we've seen far worse. We're coming in on the Grand on the 25th and excited to see the new terminal. Just going to walk down to the Ferry building for lunch and going out to a show in the evening.

Can't see why the ceremonies on the 25th will adversely affect passengers coming off the ship or going on tours. Maybe I'm just a glass half full type but why ruin your trip worrying about things that probably will never happen.

Tom, thanks for the photos and information. Will look forward to anything further that you can add in the next few days.

Will have the same rude obnoxious porters trying to extort tip money from passengers even though they are paid upwards of $45 an hour. If you are asked for money from a porter please make note of his number on his vest and report it to one of the check-in agents. They will follow up with the management. Tipping is NOT required or necessary.

Just be prepared

I always thought tipping the porters helped to ensure your luggage got on the ship! :D

Aaerobear, are the porters in SF part timers? Do they have other jobs the majority of the time when no cruise ships are in town? And will you be working at Pier 27 like you did at Pier 35 on cruise days?

There will not be any on-site parking other than for drop-offs. There just isn't any room at all for it. There are a couple of garages in the area that do allow long term parking but I believe reservations in advance are required.

We're not sailing until November 14 but I've already pre-paid my parking at 55 Francisco. It seems a bit spendy - $200 for a 10 day cruise - but it's what there is and it's secure parking. Now that it's paid for I don't mind a bit. :)

I just got home from the City and love how the new pier looks. Loads of benches to sit on. Gardens planted with succulents. Drop off zone that isn't in the Embarcadero. I have photos but won't post them until Tom posts his!!

The Crown was backed in. That was different.

Cheers, Denise