Princess desserts

hoppelk

Hello all,

My DW and I are taking our first cruise on Princess after cruises on Carnival and RCI. My DW is very fond of desserts (I am also), and we would like to hear about them. Please give us your favorite dessert with a description. I will not consider this post successful until I have at least four responses with desserts. We thought the desserts on our first Carnival cruise were great, but the last cruise on RCI we were disappointed. It definitely did not spoil our cruise as any cruise is fantastic. We are going on the Coral for 10 days to the Panama Canal in January. Thanks

Without a doubt, the chocolate hazelnut souffle. I think it's served on the first night in the dining room. It comes with a fabulous vanilla sauce, and the whole thing just melts in your mouth. I love it paired with a cup of coffee (the dining room coffee is much better than in the buffet). There are plenty of other fabulous desserts they make, but that's my favorite.

Last year on an Alaska cruise, we had two lovely women from England at our table, and one of them always ordered a side of ice cream with whatever dessert she ordered. It's become sort of a tradition that in tribute to her, someone at the table orders a side of ice cream with their dessert. :D The raspberry ice cream is very good.

My favorite is the souffles, they are wonderful. The always available cheesecake in the dining room is sometimes good and sometimes not, depends on the chef I guess.

Other than that, we have always found Princess desserts to actually look better than they taste. Lovely presentation, but just not as good as other lines in our opinion. But then, we rarely have room for dessert anyway, so we never worry much about it. :o

The chocolate hazelnut souffle is great with a scoop of ice cream on the side. Almost all of the desserts are better with a scoop of ice cream--all except my favorite Princess dessert, which is the raspberry creme brulee.

Princess does make some great souffles but my all time favorite is the raspberry creme brulee.......creamy custard with large juicy raspberries and a thin crispy top.....excellent ! Last year on the Caribbean Princess they had it in Sterlings, not in the dining room.

I loved the swan thing-ie.....................I think I have a picture of one, but so far, have been unable to find it!!!

The homemade ice cream in Horizon Court is wonderful too...................late afternoons............ask what time.

I have loved all of the souffles that I have had on Princess ships. In addition, the Princess Love Boat Dream, all of the ice creams and sorbets and the chantilly swans which I had in Nov. 04 on the Star were all wonderful.

DON"T miss Grandma Rose's cake in Horizon Buffet. We stumbled upon it on Saturday at lunch time. Almost a custard with rich chocolate sauce, found in warm buffet station not with other cakes. We all agreed it should be available for dinner in DR. Our group voted it the "best new taste" of the cruise.

We found this dessert on the Golden last March.

Also the home made ice creams found in the buffet area (from 3:30 - 4:30, if I remember correctly) are very delicious.

My favourite is cherries jubiliee. Years ago they used to have "swans chantilly". It is a puff pastry in the shape of a swan with cream inside. Wonderful. I don't think they make this anymore. Anyone remember this.

Last year on the Coral [a back to back], there were no signs of Cherries Jubilee, on the first leg, so I enquired on the second, and got this reply.

'I can prepare them for you sir in the galley, but, security regulations prevent us from making them in the dining room!'

Strange, since the ever boring 'baked Alaska parade', had passed with its normal open flame!

Earlier this year Cherries Jubilee we served on the Mercury last March, but I must hasten to add that this was one of the very few areas that Mercury out did Coral! john

Harlequin Souffle

Chocolate Hazelnut Souffle

Orange/Lemon Souffle

Passion Fruit Souffle

I agree with Coral 100% in that exact order! Princess souffles are to die for! I order them every night they have them for dinner! :) Love Boat Dream, rasberry creme brulee, and the ice cream are also wonderful!

Personally, we have found that Princess has the best desserts of the cruises we have been on so far! You and your wife should be very happy! :)

I agree with Coral 100% in that exact order! Princess souffles are to die for!

LOL! You have great taste!

Personally, we have found that Princess has the best desserts of the cruises we have been on so far! You and your wife should be very happy! :)

I agree! What is interesting is that I have heard people complain about Princess' desserts and I have no clue where they are coming from because I love them.

On a side note - some of the desserts in the Horizon Court (especially for lunch) are not rated very high IMO. Though at dinner, when they put the dessert table out, these are good. I will look for Grandma's Cake next time.

The mini custard fruit tarts in the Horizon Court are the best! They are lined with a buttery crust, filled with a vanilla custard cream, and topped with assorted fruits (kiwi, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries...). Also, the chocolate chip cookies at the buffet are great (big chocolate chunks).

My favourite is cherries jubiliee. Years ago they used to have "swans chantilly". It is a puff pastry in the shape of a swan with cream inside. Wonderful. I don't think they make this anymore. Anyone remember this.

This one is found on the sugar-free selection one night. Quite tasty!

Archived