2015 Med Cruise

Sunprince

Hi all, I am trying to decide between a Silversea or a Regent Med cruise for the summer of 2015. I have sailed Regent before but not Silversea. I do know the differences between the two cruise lines.

In looking at the 2015 Med schedule for Silversea and it looks like the choice is between the Silver Wind and the Spirit. The Wind has the itineraries that I would consider, but I don't like the fact that the ship is older (I don't mind the small size though). There seems to be few 10 night options on the Spirit and I'm not sure why the Spirit has so many 7 day sailings. Assuming they would cater to more families at this time?

I'd appreciate hearing thoughts from those who have sailed either ship in the Med. Right now I am leaning towards Regent (better itinerary but I don't want to have to pay for included excursions that I don't really want), but perhaps someone can sway me closer to Silversea?

Many thanks

Hi all, I am trying to decide between a Silversea or a Regent Med cruise for the summer of 2015. I have sailed Regent before but not Silversea. I do know the differences between the two cruise lines.

In looking at the 2015 Med schedule for Silversea and it looks like the choice is between the Silver Wind and the Spirit. The Wind has the itineraries that I would consider, but I don't like the fact that the ship is older (I don't mind the small size though). There seems to be few 10 night options on the Spirit and I'm not sure why the Spirit has so many 7 day sailings. Assuming they would cater to more families at this time?

I'd appreciate hearing thoughts from those who have sailed either ship in the Med. Right now I am leaning towards Regent (better itinerary but I don't want to have to pay for included excursions that I don't really want), but perhaps someone can sway me closer to Silversea?

Many thanks

Sunprince I'd opt for the Wind. I've sailed on both - small size is not a deterent for you so you should think of the Wind as a well cared for, understated, elegant private yacht with the service that goes along with that, and Spirit in my opinion is close to a small mass market. JMO -- if itinerary is the primary consideration Regent is the one - but if the Wind itinerary comes close it would definitely be my choice. I'm accused by some of being a Silversea cheerleader but my opinion is based on experience - I've tried ALL the "luxury" lines and SS works for me. Whatever you choose -- have a great trip.

I have travelled extensively on both Silversea and Regent (though not on Regent since they greatly increased single supplements and began including tours). I think both are quality products, with high quality food and service. However, I greatly prefer the smaller size and greater intimacy of the Silversea ships. I sailed twice with Regent during the new/current included excursions era, and I vowed I would never set foot again on a Regent ship when I waited in the blazing sun for half an hour because there was such a long line for tenders back to the ship. I have never had such an experience on Silversea. Nor have I encountered on Silversea the hustle of "art" dealers! :) Is Regent still lining corridors with "art", holding actions, etc?

Thank you all for your responses. Looking at the Silversea schedule, I am thinking about combining two 7 day Wind sailings starting July 29/15. Is combining 2 sailings a good idea (in general)? I also assume booking early is a must to make sure you have the same suite for both sailings.

Also does Silversea offer any combination voyage savings? I saw that 2014 Med sailings had a 2 cat upgrade promo so I'd like to take advantage of something like that if offered for 2015.

Thanks again

Have not sailed on the Wind, but have been on regent MANY times and once on Spirit. Spirit is very similar to regent in a lot of ways. I kept calling the Italian restaurant La veranda for instance. The suites are basically the same size, though the sinks on Spirit are weird and soak you with water if you are not careful. But we quite liked it, so much that we have booked another cruise on her for next year.

I've never travelled Regent so far. I think you should think carefully about the size of ship. Perhaps it's time for you to experience the unique experience of Wind.

I'm not certain how the future of this size ship will pan out economically in the future, and ignoring all your other fears or concerns, and trusting a bit to fate, you'll experience a sort of sense of exclusivity on something as perfectly formed as Wind/Cloud which I suspect will be quite a contrast to Regent. I've been on all four smaller ships and I fear the two smaller ones will increasingly become anachronistic and increasingly unique. There will possibly or even probably be elements of Regent that may be better, but there isn't anything that quite matches the sort of exclusive clubby atmosphere of SS's two small ones. It might even be that SS is subsidising these.

So if you are intrigued by down-sizing, risk it and give it a punt. If you don't prefer it afterwards, at least you tried it. On the other hand you may never go back.

I guess this is a more a philosophical approach to your conundrum and is therefore as is usual from me of no practical value.

:)

Spirit would be similar to Regent. You are correct that Spirit caters to families during the Summer Med Period. I have just posted offers that cut the cruises into shorter segments, you might want to check it out. As this might affect you. Shadow/ Whisper are my favourites of the Fleet. I would definitely give Silversea a try though. I'm not keen on the All Inclusive Shore Excursions by Regent.