Setting up Sign n Sail account... Cruise cash and cash only??

rene194215

I just read another thread about gift cards and I was wondering what I would do with the cruise cash. I already have started to purchase, and anticipate that it should show on my account when I board. I tried to gauge roughly how much I think I will spend and will buy that as cruise cash since I wont have an actual credit card, but a mastermoney debit/credit card. I dont want to have money held up.

So when I set up the account online, I should just set up as cash?

What about when I check in? Do they require something when checking in? I have used a credit card in the past but I am giving them up. Literally I am just going to have 1 for emergency only. I am trying to control my spending:( so it is cash all the way.

Thoughts? Advise?

We have always used cash. With your online checkin select the cash option and that was it. When we arrived at check in carnival took our cash when making our sea and sail cards and that was it. We had a small balance after the cruise and received a check a couple of weeks later from carnival.

We too no longer have credit cards and people are amazed that we some how survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

On our last cruise I had bought enough cruise cash to cover all spending ( cheers program ) and only have a debit card also which I used toward our account and stayed within the the amount I had bought with cruise cash and by the end of cruise the hold on my debit card had been released so it worked great for us

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

When setting up a cash account do you pay the money right at check in or do you have to go to guest services once on board?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Forums mobile app

I think that depends on the port because when we went from Mobile it was at the port but at Charleston it was on the ship

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Edited by dwightnwynonia

I too use cash now, and at both the Elation, in NOLA and the Fascination out of Jacksonville, it was applied once on the ship. I think that when you board, your cruise cash purchase is automatically on your Sail and Sign card. But I guess the only way to check that is to go to a kiosk and verify. I am hoping so, so that when I board, I can just leave off the bags, and go up and have a fruity drink with an umbrella. :)

I have added 25 so far, and will add another 25 before I leave. I dont drink alcohol, and I only have to cover purchases for one this time around, so I am thinking that should do it for me, and the 60 dollars cash for tips.

We always add cash at check-in. I believe they have a "recommended amount", however you can technically put any amount you want on it. i.e. for my kids, I do not put any since they do not have charging privileges and I've prepaid tips.

I too use cash now, and at both the Elation, in NOLA and the Fascination out of Jacksonville, it was applied once on the ship. I think that when you board, your cruise cash purchase is automatically on your Sail and Sign card. But I guess the only way to check that is to go to a kiosk and check

In the past we also had a card in our cabin with each cruise cash purchased waiting for us with the amount listed when we 1st get to our cabin

we use cash too. you can add cash to your account at either guest services or add cash at the kiosks. if you have nothing on your account and attempt to buy something, they will notify you that your S&S card has been "cancelled" (declined). Happened once to me. whoops.

Long Beach doesn't take money, punch cards or anything when you check in. I asked one of the employees and she joked that they didn't trust them with money or sharp objects! ;) I just go to guest services on the ship and they will do both

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Sent from my iPod

• 2 weeks later...
You can still add cash during the cruise, can't you?

Yes and that is a good idea regardless if you are cash only, debit card, or credit card. I use my credit card only becuase I don't want a hold on my debit card. But I don't really use the credit card either .... Just set up the account with it and deposit cash as needed during the cruise to cover my spending.

Don't know if they have changed their policy but, I have always used cash and the remaining balance was returned by check before disembarking. I just think of it as getting paid to cruise.

They have cut us a check before we departed, it was under our door, but I read yesterday that people were getting their balance in a check a few weeks after the cruise.

Yes - policy was changed that credit balances would now be refunded by check and mailed a couple of weeks after end of cruise versus receiving in cabin morning of.

Edited by YorN

• 3 months later...

I am travelling with some newbies who are doing a cash account.

I have never used a cash account so I have some questions.

Friend is using cash and is booked into my cabin, so she will need a $200 deposit, according to Carnivals website.

Her DH is booked into my DH's cabin, and they are planning on doing Cheers, so, he will need about $350 cash for Cheers (6 day), does he need to put another $200 cash on top of that? He is not a big spender, so I don't think he'd be paying for much more than the Cheers program. How low do they let you go before they call you to add more cash on? Could he get away with a $400 cash deposit, buy Cheers and still have $50 available? Or would they want more than that on the account?

Thanks!

Choose cash when setting up online. At check in they asked if I wanted to add money and I just said no that I already have credit and will add money later if needed. No problem.

The deposit amounts are recommendations. You can put as little or as much as you want.

Edited by GabbyCooks

Long Beach doesn't take money, punch cards or anything when you check in. I asked one of the employees and she joked that they didn't trust them with money or sharp objects! ;) I just go to guest services on the ship and they will do both

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Sent from my iPod

Long beach now takes cask and gift cards at check in in the VIP lounge.