Embarkation from Cape Liberty, NJ

Planning to be cruising to Bermuda from Cape Liberty, NJ. What parking is available and how to you get your luggage dropped off, car parked, and then back to the ship for boarding? If anyone who has done this could explain the process that would be great! Also any advice or tips as to making it easier.

Parking is outdoors at the pier for $19/day.

You follow the access road 2 miles out to the terminal. You pull in and drop off your luggage with the porters.

A new terminal is under construction for the Quantum, so they may have done some rearranging of the traffic pattern. I think that from the drop off you may make a left and another left to circle back to the entrance where you prepay the parking. When you get there just ask. It won't be complicated. You can easily walk back to the terminal entrance - no worse than an outer area at a mall parking lot.

Google Port Terminal Blvd to get a visual of how this is set up. Basically the end of the access road is a giant loop with the parking in the middle.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza at Exit 14A there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

When you enter the cruise port you will be directed to where to go to drop off your luggage. If you are parking at the pier tell them and they will direct you. You pay for parking when you pull in. It is a very short walk from the parking lot to the terminal, you have to cross the road but they have people helping you cross. then you will go through security, the check in line and either board a bus if general boarding has begun or they will give you a number for the bus, it is a very short ride to the ship. Enter the ship and you can start enjoying your vacation. We sailed out of Bayonne twice and got there about 10:30 each time. I use a wheelchair so we were some of the first ones on.

Hope this helps.

Doris

The traffic can be really bad to drop off your luggage. Quite often is is a 30 minute wait in a traffic jam to get the the luggage drop off area. If you are relatively fit, the parking lot is only a short walk from the terminal. Park first and roll your luggage to the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise.

Parking is outdoors at the pier for $19/day.

You follow the access road 2 miles out to the terminal. You pull in and drop off your luggage with the porters.

A new terminal is under construction for the Quantum, so they may have done some rearranging of the traffic pattern. I think that from the drop off you may make a left and another left to circle back to the entrance where you prepay the parking. When you get there just ask. It won't be complicated. You can easily walk back to the terminal entrance - no worse than an outer area at a mall parking lot.

Google Port Terminal Blvd to get a visual of how this is set up. Basically the end of the access road is a giant loop with the parking in the middle.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza at Exit 14A there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

I have been there many times, but I am going to print this out and take it with me next month.

The directions are from Exit 14A of the New Jersey Turnpike, which is the turnpike extension between Newark and the Holland Tunnel. The majority of folks going to Cape Liberty come via Exit 14A. The exceptions are the folks who come from Staten Island, which might include many of the folks coming from Long Island like DonnaK. Folks coming from the south typically don't pay the $13 toll to cross into Staten Island so they can then cross back into New Jersey.

Please familiarize yourself with your route before you leave. Some folks have reported that their GPS took them through Staten Island when coming from the south and they just went where the GPS sent them.

There are a number of large construction projects in the Newark/Bayonne area which could possibly affect traffic to and from Cape Liberty, so it's important to understand your route and detour options. Check the traffic on 880 or 1010.

If you have more questions, please post them on the East Coast Board for a wider audience.

We have been on Explorer 5 times. Our navigation always takes us a different long way! Does anyone have the best route from Connecticut? The roads always detour and change every year with so much construction This past March was the worst! Also, we have found you must arrive at 10:30 am or 1:00 pm. Otherwise any time in between there is approx half hour to 45 min. car line to drop off area. In is no big deal dropping off luggage. My husband drops me off with luggage and I wait for him for about 10 min. or less as he parks (you just loop around and they tell you but very simple) and walks across to terminal. Very very close. We walk in and are on ship by noon. No big deal on bus. You are on for two minutes. Enjoy! Will miss Explorer but looking forward to our Jan. cruise on Quantum.

Where are you coming from in Connecticut? The prime objective is to get on the Merritt Parkway/Hutchinson River Parkway and to avoid I95 through NYC. Here are the directions from Mass which you can adapt for your location.

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway wt Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudso Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). The toll is worth every penny. Note: if you do not have an EZPass, they will bill you later for $5.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit (left lane exit) staying in the right lane on the exit itself. This takes you onto a NYC street where you make the first right up onto the bridge. On the bridge you slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

Tune in 1010 or 880 to check traffic conditions and be prepared to adjust your route if there are any major traffic issues like the fatal accident this past week on the GW Bridge that tied up traffic for hours. Having a physical map of the area is always a good plan.

Sailing out of Cape Liberty in September. Re: wheelchair - did you have wheelchair assistance from the terminal by the port or ship staff? I am renting a wheelchair for the cruise but need some help in the terminal. Thanks.

Yes there is wheelchair assistance. There will be guys on the access road directing traffic. Tell them you need a handicapped drop off and he will tell you what bay number to pull into. Just you need to get out of the car and find one of the RCL reps by the security entrance and tell them you need a wheelchair.

The wheelchair attendant will help your party get through security and checkin and should wheel you onto the shuttle bus. At the other end you might have to switch wheelchairs to get onto the ship. If the rooms are open (1:30 pm) you can go directly to your cabin to get your rented chair. Otherwise,you go to the Windjammer for lunch and someone can retrieve the wheelchair from the cabin at 1:30. Actually I would ignore the closed access doors to the cabin deck and just walk in to find your cabin and the rented wheelchair. I did this several times with massive oxygen gear and no one questioned me. They don't want hoards of random people wandering around on the cabin decks, but handicapped access issues are special.

There are a number of large construction projects in the Newark/Bayonne area which could possibly affect traffic to and from Cape Liberty, so it's important to understand your route and detour options. Check the traffic on 880 or 1010.

If you have more questions, please post them on the East Coast Board for a wider audience.

Best cell phone app I've found for GPS routing and traffic is WAZE. Once running (it does use up a little bit of your data) it shows you traffic conditions based upon what it gets from other people using it with automatic anonymously reported positions, so it can show you traffic issues before the radio gets them. That said, I still flip between those two stations when running short on time.

The underlying theme of this discussion is "Do your homework and be prepared!" Have all the tools at your fingertips - GPS, printed maps, written directions, and radio stations - and study the routes ahead of time. Don't cut it close timewise.

Traffic to Cape Liberty has become more unpredictable recently because of the Pulaski Skyway eastbound closure, the Bayonne Bridge construction and intermittent closures, and intermittent construction on the Newark Bay Bridge on the NJ Turnpike connecting Newark and Bayonne let alone any random accidents. Bring your patience and you will do just fine.

DonnaK, We are traveling from Long Island. What route do you take? I've heard so much about the confusion in the area and it's been awhile since we cruised from there.

We live in Massapequa (south shore). We take the Southern State to the Belt, over the Verrazano Bridge, stay on the Staten Island Expy to the exit for Route 440 North (Bayonne Bridge)...After crossing the bridge, just follow the road until you come to the sign for the cruise ship terminal (Port Terminal Blvd - it is shortly after the shopping center), make right and follow the road about 2 miles to the ship..

It's about one hour, door to door. We like to arrive at the port around 11am for quick check in and to get to the Windjammer before it gets too crowded. We generally sit in the solarium after lunch until the cabins are open.

Sailing out of Cape Liberty in September. Re: wheelchair - did you have wheelchair assistance from the terminal by the port or ship staff? I am renting a wheelchair for the cruise but need some help in the terminal. Thanks.

We recently sailed on the EX and my DH was in a wheelchair. The porters took our luggage and then we rolled up to the security area. They asked if he was able to stand and walk through the machine, which he was, and they had the wheelchair waiting for him after he took those two steps. Once you are checked in, there is a bus/tram which you must take to the ship. Each of these bus/trams have wheelchair capabilities and the driver and assistant will get your party on this vehicle. Once you get to the ship, a Royal employee will help get your party up the gangway and onto the ship.

I was very apprehensive but it all worked out beautifully and I would not hesitate going again from Bayonne or taking anyone aboard in a wheelchair. Everyone was very accommodating and helpful.

Edited by scooter90

We are coming from southeastern PA.

I suppose it's a pretty close drive for you, but we actually stayed in a hotel that had a park and cruise package. Much cheaper ($150, IIRC) and they shuttled us to and back rather than fight the line-ups.

We arrived at Cape Liberty last week, 6/5, and got into the long line for luggage drop off. We got there at 10:50 AM and never got up to luggage drop off until 11:15. One of the lanes we blocked off and not being used and construction was going on everywhere it seemed. The people who arrived a bit later told us their wait was longer than ours. Hope it improves! :)

The underlying theme of this discussion is "Do your homework and be prepared!" Have all the tools at your fingertips - GPS, printed maps, written directions, and radio stations - and study the routes ahead of time. Don't cut it close timewise.

Traffic to Cape Liberty has become more unpredictable recently because of the Pulaski Skyway eastbound closure, the Bayonne Bridge construction and intermittent closures, and intermittent construction on the Newark Bay Bridge on the NJ Turnpike connecting Newark and Bayonne let alone any random accidents. Bring your patience and you will do just fine.

And look for the little, faded, partially obscured signs. :rolleyes: