Baltimore Port Boarding Process?

gem114

Sailing out of Baltimore on the Carnival Pride July 6!

I was wondering what we should expect at the port and while boarding.

1. How close is the parking to where you need to be to board?

2. Is there somewhere to wait or do we all just line up outside? How early should we arrive?

3. How early do they take your checked bags from you? (any recommendations about what to have in carry-ons would be great!)

4. What's security like? Metal detectors? Full-body airport x-ray scanners? Do they actually go through each bag by hand?

5. How long is the whole process? How long between boarding and when we get our luggage back/get access to our rooms?

I'll be on this cruise also!

I've gone out of Baltimore about a half-dozen times. It's a great port. I'm a slow typist, so I'll just send you here for your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361443

Security screen similar to airport; carry-ons go through scanner, walk-through scanner for passengers.

Enjoy!

Edited by ChaserX
add info on security

1. How close is the parking to where you need to be to board? once they open up parking (they have to wait for prior cruise passengers to disembark) you pull around and the port workers take any bags you are checking. then you find a spot. Very close.

2. Is there somewhere to wait or do we all just line up outside? How early should we arrive? They do have seating inside. you are seated in boarding order. Platinum, FTTF, general boarding. We got there about 10:30 but they didn't start boarding till about 1230ish?? after about 1130 it really started to fill in quite quickly. They even had to stop checking people in because of lack of seating. so I would recommend getting there either early or wait till about 130 or so.

3. How early do they take your checked bags from you? (any recommendations about what to have in carry-ons would be great!) bring anything to keep you busy while you wait. you can text or watch something on a tablet but NO PHONE CALLS once you go thru security.

4. What's security like? Metal detectors? Full-body airport x-ray scanners? Do they actually go through each bag by hand they have the same security as an airport. metal detectors and xray machines. FYI they did open the 12 pack of soda I was carrying and check each can????

5. How long is the whole process? How long between boarding and when we get our luggage back/get access to our rooms?

check in for us was pretty quick. we had FTTF and my sister is platinum so we got our luggage pretty quickly but we did see luggage in the halls relatively soon after boarding. you will definitely have it well before dinner and maybe before muster.

Question on Parking.

How much is the cost?

Do you pay as you enter or when you are leaving?

Do they take cash only or do they accept credit cards also?

TIA

Question on Parking.

How much is the cost?

Do you pay as you enter or when you are leaving?

Do they take cash only or do they accept credit cards also?

TIA

$15/day, paid in advance. After you drop off checked bags, they will direct you to one of two lines; one for cash, one for credit cards.

Edited by ChaserX
typo

Anything of value or immediate need (like Rx's) should be in your carry-on. NEVER, EVER put valuables (money, jewelry, electronics, etc....) into checked bags!!! Some folks will bring a change of clothes in case your other luggage doesn't get to your cabin by dinner...but we don't do that! I wear my bathing suit under clothes (if it's warm enough to hit the pool upon boarding) so I don't have to find someplace to change into my suit.

And yes..your checked bags should be LOCKED! Anytime your luggage is not in your physical possession, lock it.

Edited by cb at sea

I'll be on this cruise also!

I've gone out of Baltimore about a half-dozen times. It's a great port. I'm a slow typist, so I'll just send you here for your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361443

Security screen similar to airport; carry-ons go through scanner, walk-through scanner for passengers.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the link! I only went through the first few pages so far, but you are very thorough! Can't wait to read the rest.

Thanks so much for the link! I only went through the first few pages so far, but you are very thorough! Can't wait to read the rest.

I'm not the author of that review.

Just another grateful reader.

Glad you're enjoying it, though.

1. How close is the parking to where you need to be to board?

2. Is there somewhere to wait or do we all just line up outside? How early should we arrive?

3. How early do they take your checked bags from you? (any recommendations about what to have in carry-ons would be great!)

4. What's security like? Metal detectors? Full-body airport x-ray scanners? Do they actually go through each bag by hand?

1) The parking lot on the left if the Carnival lot and it is a quick walk to the terminal.

r0739813.jpg

2) They let people in the terminal pretty early. We've arrived as early has 10:30 and not been the first ones in.

3) I'm not sure when they start taking bags, but if the lot is open, they'll take them.

4) Security in Baltimore is tight and it is much like airport security.. They check and wand everything that sets the detector off. If they have any questions about your checked luggage they'll call you to the naughty room or leave you a note that they confiscated something.

5) It usually takes us less than 45 minutes from arrival to our cabin, but we are also Platinum and don't arrive at particularly busy times. Before we were Platinum we usually had our bags before sail away--now with Priority/FTTF it is there pretty quickly.

$15/day, paid in advance. After you drop off checked bags, they will direct you to one of two lines; one for cash, one for credit cards.

We ask which line moved quicker and was told the cash line. We had the exact amount of cash ready and were through the line really fast. Credit card line had maybe 4-5 cars waiting in line.

Rather than a review thread, how about the "All Things Pride" thread that contains much info about the ship and sailing from Baltimore. That way, you get more than one person's opinion.

I read these "All Things Shipname" threads from most recent back.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1329232&page=20

So I linked to the last page in the thread. Hey, I do a lot of things backwards! :p

I also link my review threads into the "All Things Shipnname" threads (if they exist) so people who find those threads can more easily find reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of good information has been given here. I just wanted to add what I don't think was mentioned (sorry if it was and I just missed it:o).

In partial answer to Question #3:

"3. How early do they take your checked bags from you? (any recommendations about what to have in carry-ons would be great!)"

...As you drive into the lot (if it's open, as one PP said), after you have paid, you will come to a double row of porters with their luggage covered-wagon thingies. If you already have your luggage tags on, they will take your checked bags right there and toss them into their wagons. If you don't have your luggage tags on already, you have to stop and do that first, right after paying.

As for carry-on, in addition to what others already mentioned, if you are taking a bottle of wine, make sure it is in your carry-on and not your checked bags.;)

The operation at the port of Baltimore is very well-run and smooth - a great port to cruise out of! Happy Sails!:)

I have been on The Pride three times and each time I've dropped my checked bags and then paid for parking. It's a pretty easy process.

Oh, oops, did I get the order wrong?:o Is it drop off luggage before paying? You'd think after 7 cruises out of Baltimore I'd be able to remember it correctly. I guess not.:rolleyes::p Sorry about that. It must be because we usually get dropped off at the port and have only parked there twice, once in 2009 and once in 2014.:o

Haha, no worries, thanks so much! Are you expected to tip the porters? I read somewhere that even the person taking money for parking actually asked for a tip, but that seems odd to me.

Haha, no worries, thanks so much! Are you expected to tip the porters? I read somewhere that even the person taking money for parking actually asked for a tip, but that seems odd to me.

I'm pretty sure the porters expect a tip. We've always tipped them, anyway, and none of them has ever seemed surprised to get it. I've never heard of the parking cashier expecting or getting a tip - yes, that is odd.

I'm pretty sure the porters expect a tip. We've always tipped them, anyway, and none of them has ever seemed surprised to get it. I've never heard of the parking cashier expecting or getting a tip - yes, that is odd.

Haha, okay, I'm glad I read that situation right. :P Thanks!