getting to port everglades

martin jenkins

hi everyone our cruise on royal princess goes late next year we are flying from brisbane to miami, whats the best way to get to port everglades taxi or a free hotel shuttle to the airport then a shuttle to the port??? or is it best to stay in fort lauderdale the night before???

hi everyone our cruise on royal princess goes late next year we are flying from brisbane to miami, whats the best way to get to port everglades taxi or a free hotel shuttle to the airport then a shuttle to the port??? or is it best to stay in fort lauderdale the night before???

Try this company. They go between Miami and Ft Lauderdale ports/airport/hotels.

Very reasonable and reliable.

http://fortlauderdaletransfers.com/index.html

I would head to Ft Lauderdale as soon as possible, then you can relax.

We stay at the Hyatt Place on 10th St in Ft Lauderdale. Its a few blocks from the port and close to restaurants and shops.

Miami is about 25 miles from Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Given the distance you have travelled you are likely to be really jet-lagged and may be well off to go to Fort Lauderdale rather than having to transfer from Miami in the morning. Super Shuttle offers service from MIA to the Fort Lauderdale area. Fort Lauderdale hotels that we like include the Renaissance, Hyatt Marina and Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach. Other hotel in the port area include Holiday Inn Express and Embassy Suites,

sorry forgot to mention we are staying in miami for 3/4 days.

I'd talk to the hotel staff about arranging a car service from Miami to FLL on the morning of your cruise.

sorry forgot to mention we are staying in miami for 3/4 days.

Are you planning to rent a car? If so, Thrifty has a rental return office right at Port Everglades. Other companies may as well but we've had great luck with Thrifty. You drop off the car and hop on their shuttle to your ship. It may cost you a few dollars more but you'd have the convenience of picking up at the Miami airport and dropping off at Port Everglades as well as the ability to get around to see whatever you want while in South Florida. The drive from Miami to Fort Lauderdale is so short, you'd have no problem staying in Miami the night before the cruise.

Edited by 2theship

Martin,

If you have 3-4 days then rent a car and drop it off at Fort Lauderdale airport.

We fly in from the UK and always arrive late in the evening and we accidentally discovered the benefits of the location of the Sheraton Miami Airport. That benefit is that the hotel is directly opposite the car rental centre.

Miami built a new car rental centre a couple of years ago and it is a train shuttle ride from the airport. If you stay at most hotels, you need to take a shuttle to the hotel then the next morning take a shuttle back to the airport and then the rail shuttle to the car rental centre. By staying at the Sheraton I was able to leave my wife and the cases in the lobby at the hotel and go and get the car. When you leave the car rental centre, the hotel forecourt is directly opposite the exit from the car rental centre. At the traffic lights, instead of turning left or right, just drive straight across and you are in the hotel forecourt.

Last December we went down to the keys for a few days. We stayed the last night at the Hampton Inn in Key Largo to reduce the length of the drive to Port Everglades. We left around 0830 and drove to Port Everglades and dropped the bags at the terminal (there are lots of signs showing you where each ship is berthed) before taking the car to FLL airport from where we took a taxi.

All worked out brilliantly as we hardly had to carry our bags. Think I paid the porter at Port Everglades $5 per bag. Just remember not to pack you papers in the cases you give to the porter.

Booked the car rental on the internet and got a good deal including all the insurances and GPS at a very good price. Also took a Toll Pass from the rental company which is not the best deal, but is definitely convenient?

Also did a deal, again with a booking agency on line, which allowed me to cancel with the Sheraton and kept an eye on the Sheraton prices. Cancelled and rebooked twice as better deals appeared and ended up with room and breakfast for around $30 less than I had originally booked room only.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
Correction. Original post said Hilton - meant Sheraton

Martin,

Last December we didn't have the option of dropping off our Thrifty at Port Everglades, but the airport was fine.

When we dropped off the car, at Fort Lauderdale airport, there were Princess shuttles available, but the Princess lady suggested that, as we had no bags, having dropped them off at the terminal in Port Everglades, it would be cheaper to take a taxi than to have the shuttle charged to our cabin and she was absolutely right.

Key West, and the keys in general are well worth a visit but I would recommend that you spend your last night in one of the more northerly keys.

Also book you rental car on the internet before you leave. Overseas visitors get much better deals / inclusive packages when they pre-book.

Hi Martin, as you compare car rental prices also look at Budget car rental…they are right across the street from Port Everglades in a shopping center on 17h street causeway. they are wonderful to work with and free shuttles to your ship…we use them 2-3 times a year.

also on your way to the keys and key west…the keys start at mile marker 124 and end at mile marker 0 in key west...a great place for a quick stop or lunch is the worldwide sportsman store in islamorada ..about mile marker 82 in the keys. it is on the water, really great store, and 2-3 places to have a good lunch.

my wife and i are spending 45 days on a cruise around Australia and new zealand in november and cannot wait to visit your country. have a safe journey. terry

Hi Terry, thanks for all your information - great help. Hope you enjoy your cruise in November around NZ & Australia. November is a lovely time to visit both of these countries. We are originally from Christchurch in New Zealand and move to the Gold Coast of Australia about 6 years ago. NZ is a wonderful country, I am sure you will really enjoy it, especially if you are visiting Milford Sounds and doing some scenic cruising. If there is any info you want in regards to NZ or Australia, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy Travels.

Martin,

If you have 3-4 days then rent a car and drop it off at Fort Lauderdale airport.

Unless you are planning on basically staying put at a beach resort in Miami Beach, renting a car is one way to go. You can't get around very easy with public transportation. Be prepared to pay for parking. Miami airport to Ft. Lauderdale is a 45 min drive without any traffic. Interstate 95 frequently has lots of traffic, allow extra time. If you are coming from a Miami Beach hotel allow more time. You may wish to transfer to Ft. Lauderdale on the day before the cruise and spend the night. There are lots of sights to see in Ft. Lauderdale. I personally think it is nicer than Miami. You mention Key West, the drive is about 4 hours one way, and it is all over a bridge/causeway system.

Also check out National Car Rental. You can pick up in Miami and drop it at the Ft. Lauderdale airport for no drop-off fee. Once you drop off at FLL they have a shuttle that will take you to the port for free...its not a National dedicated shuttle, goes out of the rental car center with the shuttles to other terminal. Just ask the employee at the shuttle area where to pick up the port shuttle. There are also a few other rental car companies that make this shuttle available, don't remember which they are other than Hertz.

I travel for work and use National all the time and have done what I am describing several times myself before I moved to Florida. The one caveat is that they don't start running the port shuttle until 11:00 a.m. so don't get there too early\.

The other posters have all given great advice...but to answer you question as to the best way to get to Ft. Lauderdale....is to sail in on the deck of the Royal. We'll be aboard her when she comes back from Europe in 2015. :D

I would stay in Ft Lauderdale the night before in a hotel that provides a shuttle to the pier. Take a cab to the hotel if the hotel doesn't have transportation from the airport.

It is easier for us to fly into FT L and quite a bit cheaper.

Edited by dorisis