Zimomiller’s really boring but suite Getaway 5/24-5/31/2014 – a review

Zimomiller

As a result, in June 2013 I booked a 2 bedroom suite (16114) in the Haven on the Getaway for the May 24, 2014 sailing.

We have this exact room booked in October. Do you remember if the door opened in towards the room or out to the hall? We have a 3 year old and we know some can open these doors. Trying to buy a contraption to stop him from being able to do this.

Thank you.

AJ

We have this exact room booked in October. Do you remember if the door opened in towards the room or out to the hall? We have a 3 year old and we know some can open these doors. Trying to buy a contraption to stop him from being able to do this.

Thank you.

AJ

The door opens in. You will enjoy this suite.

Glad to hear that your wife was able to recover from the fall!! I know it must have been painful!!

Looking forward to the rest of the review.

We are just getting started on our cruising... up to 4 now! Going on the Getaway in September. Regular balcony for now. ;)

Sara

I think I like your idea of taking the week after off work as well. We had more bumps in the road coming home from our last cruise than we did getting there. I totally felt like I needed a vacation from our vacation. Left with the feeling that the cruise didn't "take" if that makes any sense.

Boo on the busybody!! I'm sure that wifey was thrilled anyway even if you didn't get your big "ta-da" moment.

On the road to Miami and the pre-embarkation day

Finally, it was our turn to Getaway.

The bags had been packed early for this trip. We went to bed relatively early Thursday night ready and rarin to go. 330 am arrived all too soon and I again played the part of bad guy waking all the family up and basically wrestling them out of bed.

After 30 minutes of make up my youngest daughter was finally ready and we hauled our 7 bags, 3 backpacks, 4 carry-ons and piled into the van followed by two very excited but delusional Labrador retrievers. Someone dragged them back into the house and we were finally off.

With all our planning what could go wrong? I always have visions of a flat tire or some unforeseen freeway closure ruining our day.

After we returned home from our cruise last year we learned that the reason we were forced off the freeway 1/3 of the way to the airport was because some mentally impaired individual had escaped, wandered into the freeway and had been hit and killed 5 minutes before we were driving through.

We made it to the parking lot and then to check in where we bid our bags farewell and headed through the TSA security lines. We got separated into two groups so Mom and son went through a different line.

When we finally cleared security, Mom and son were sitting in chairs waiting for us. Mom was clearly pissed and son had a big ass grin.

Long story short, he sent his backpack through the x-ray and all hell broke loose when the scanner picked up a 50 MM machine gun shell (empty of course) that he had forgotten was in his backpack. (Souvenir/gift from Grandpa) After discussions with several TSA supervisors and staff they gave him back his shell and they were on their way.

Our 6 am flight to Miami was uneventful. Our bags all arrived and were all off first and we were quickly in big taxi on our way to the Intercontinental Hotel overlooking the port.

We have stayed there many times before cruises and have found it to be clean, well appointed, convenient and comfy. We were very early for a 3pm check in but after waiting around the lobby an hour got our rooms. The kids spend the day in bed and Mom and I headed to the pool deck for sun and fun.

The weather was terrific and the day was as well. We eventually wandered over to Bayside Mall and had dinner at Tradewinds which is an outdoors restaurant. After a great meal, we shopped for a while and then sauntered back to the hotel where we crashed early anticipating the promise the morning held for our embarkation.

I told you this was going to be a boring, uneventful review.

Next up – Embarkation Day!

Thank you.

AJ

The door should be heavy enough that he cannot open it .However, as the mom of a sleepwalker- we simply put a chir in front of the door and shove it under the handle/ knob , since our issue is at night we also have bells as in "jingle bells" with us on the kid,s bedroom door and, as it is a cruise and we may be very soundly sleeping, I like to take several room service style metal plate covers and I stack those somewhat precariously on the chair that is holding shut the door to the suite entrance so that if my son attempts to leave the suite in his somnambulant state- crash!!!!!

Works like a charm!! We have never had him successfully exit a suite on a cruise. He has walked in his sleep on every cruise and vacation since his sleepwalking began at age 3 or 4- he is now 13!!

At any rate, a chair in front of the door to the suite should slow him down or even completely thwart his exit. There can be quite a vacuum feel to the doors I have found.... If you cannot find a contraption, an alarm system such as we devise each trip works very well.

Have a great time!!!!!

Nora

So enjoying your review! I sail on the getaway in late feb, 2015 in the AFT PH suite- Can't wait.

Seems I get a lot of my info from CC and You!. You were kind enough to send me the pictures of your AFT PH Cabin on the Epic which i sailed last year.