Zimomiller’s really boring but suite Getaway 5/24-5/31/2014 – a review

Zimomiller

Prologue:

The vacation tradition for our family of 5 has been an annual cruise somewhere. We realize that we have been very fortunate to be able to do this.

NCL has long been our favorite cruise line but we have experienced many cruises on other lines. (In order of preference after NCL ==> Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, Carnival)

For the past 5 years our annual cruise vacation has been on an NCL cruise, and they have all been to very different areas of the world. Each was a celebration of a life event in our family.

• Jade to the Mediterranean from Southampton

• Epic to the Caribbean from Miami

• Pride of America to Hawaii from Honolulu

• Dawn to Bermuda from Boston

• Sky to the Bahamas from Miami

With that history in mind, as soon as we departed from our Sky cruise last year I began planning for our next year’s adventure. It had to be a celebration of our 30’Th wedding anniversary.

My girlfriend/fiance and I were married in May 1984 while the rest of the world celebrated Cinco de Mayo and the annual running of the Kentucky Derby. We were just trying to get hitched and have a big party with family and friends and then head off the next morning for our honeymoon cruise on the NCCL Southward. (NCL used to be called Norwegian Caribbean Cruise Line.)

We still have the documents and dailies from that cruise. We were sooo excited to be going on such a huge ship (hah) with over 700 passengers…..One cruise later we were hooked for life.

I had been eagerly looking forward to the return of NCL to the Eastern Caribbean route that the Norway used to run so I had been anxiously watching the development and building of the Getaway.

I wanted to sail in May to stay as close to our anniversary but also to avoid the post public school is out deluge that would inevitably come in June. With our three souvenirs from previous cruises all in college or Med school, there was no way that we could sail the first weekend in May as there were still finals to be taken and moves home to be made.

As a result, in June 2013 I booked a 2 bedroom suite (16114) in the Haven on the Getaway for the May 24, 2014 sailing.

Of course I did not tell anyone. This was of course to be a surprise for my wife.

The only other person beyond my favorite TA Ann that knew about this trip was my wife’s boss whom I contacted immediately to ask him to block off her vacation time well in advance. I reminded him- shhhh this is a surprise!

Could I keep this a secret for many months? More on this later…..

Next up = Planning for what would hopefully be a very memorable cruise and vacation.

Edited by Zimomiller

Planning

With the cruise ressie in place I had 11 months to plan the details of our trip. That was almost not enough time.

Those of you that may have suffered through any of my previous long-winded cruise reviews know that I am a detailed planner. This trip was no exception.

One of the most painful things about any cruise is the last day of the cruise followed by the next day and the inevitable debarkation. I have always suffered and despised the sobering effects of the final cruise day before debarkation.

My plans for this cruise included an ingenious solution that I tested last year.

The post-cruise vacation.

Last year we took a 4 day cruise on the Sky in an owner’s suite. I found a smoking hot deal that I could not pass up but 4 days was nowhere near enough time for a vacation to decompress from a year’s worth of stress.

Years ago one of the more senior partners in my firm (Deloitte) told me:

“You need to schedule vacations to last 2 weeks. With the stresses we face and as hard as we work, a week is not enough time to truly relax”

I followed that advice the year he gave it to me and realized how spot it was. That extra 7 days made a huge difference.

Therefore when we returned to Miami from our Sky cruise we debarked without the pain and sorrow and headed to the airport to fly to Grand Cayman instead of home. There we spent 6 nights in a condo at Plantana on Seven Mile Beach.

As we returned home last year every one of my family members mentioned that the combination of our cruise and post cruise vacation made for the most relaxing and memorable family trip that we had ever taken.

As a result of this positive feedback, I once again booked a week long post Getaway cruise vacation at Plantana. We would simply return to Miami and immediately fly to Grand Cayman to repeat last year’s adventure.

The remainder of the next 10.75 months were spent trying to complete the planning details for our trip. These ended up being completed in the following order:

1) Find our CC roll call

2) Travel insurance

3) Port excursion planning

4) Rental car ressie for Grand Cayman

5) Airline ressies

6) Hotel reservations 1 day before the cruise

7) Evaluating unlimited specialty dining and drinking packages

8) Show and dining ressies for the Getaway

9) Pre cruise concierge

CC roll call

We have learned that a great way to gather information and plan is to visit CC and participate. Finding the roll-call for your particular cruise is just as useful and informative as you will meet many others with the same issues and questions that you have and some of them may have already done the leg work to answer your questions.

In addition, I have always read up on roll-calls in for cruises advance of my cruise to see what was being discussed and planned. After their cruise you can then find the reviews and comments to see what worked, what did not and more importantly, what was unanticipated.

Travel Insurance

We have traveled and cruised with our children since they were potty trained. One of the predictable things about children is that they will find trouble. Trouble will find them.

For many years we visited every on-ship medical center with sudden fevers, blisters from poisonous starfish, twisted ankles, scraped knee etc. Last year as we traveled from Miami to Grand Cayman my youngest daughter started breaking out in blisters on her arm and hand. We found a Dr on arrival and he diagnosed a dangerous staph infection that was promptly treated and after a few days was a non-issue.

We have also witnessed and experienced the impact of the decline of the airlines as a predictable service focused industry to be careless, unfriendly and unpredictable. We have had broken luggage and cancelled flights. Imagine returning to the airport after a 2 week cruise to the Med, happily exhausted, ready to go home and seeing your airplane at the gate with the engine cowlings up.

We have been reimbursed for all our maladies and issues promptly and without question. Just keep the details and receipts and submit timely.

We again booked Travelex insurance as in the past and 2 of the kids were not yet 21 so their insurance was free. This is a feature to look for when traveling with minors.

Port excursions

We have been to all the ports on the upcoming cruise many times before so I pretty much knew what my clan would want to do on each island. We had learned long ago after our first couple cruises that you can plan and arrange port excursions far more economically than anything that cruise line will arrange and sell you.

This is especially true in Europe. We had a 6-8 person minivan and tour guide meet us at each port on our Mediterranean cruise on the Jade with a specific itinerary ready to go. You are able to move sooo much faster and see so much more for so much less $$$ this way. The cruise line tours have waaay too many people moving on big buses. Very slow and overpriced.

Cruise critic and Google are your best friend when it comes to port planning. The ports of call rooms and the roll calls for cruises in advance of yours are chock full of planning points. CC reviews are also invaluable tools.

Rental cars

We have never rented a car for a cruise port. We have always been able to find economic transportation without the hassle. I did book car for our post cruise vacation as it was land based.

Airline ressies

We fly in to our embarkation city the day before we cruise. We used to fly in the day of the cruise. We never had any issues. The only reason we made the change was due to the changes in the unpredictable airline industry AND the ability to embark early, fully rested and ready to go.

I started charting airline pricing for the flights we wanted about 6 months out. I created a simple excel spreadsheet for tracking and checked every few days on the pricing and remaining number of seats. The frequency of checking increased to daily about 3.5 months out.

What I found was consistent with the pattern a couple years ago. Pricing is high and does not start to move around until about three months out.

My patience paid off and I grabbed our seats about 3.25 months out on a Wednesday AM when the prices suddenly dropped a couple hundred $$ PP. I watched for a few days after and the prices had reverted back up and never approached the lower pricing again.

Pre cruise hotel ressies

We have sailed from Miami many times over the years and we have enjoyed our stays at the Intercontinental hotel that overlooks the cruise port in Miami.

I always book a couple rooms through Last Minute Travel about a month out and get really great deals. They do not list the hotel names but it is really easy to identify the hotel from the pictures that they have on their site to show some of the hotels features.

Visit the CC North American Homeports – Florida departures board and you will find many threads on this topic to help you plan.

Unlimited dining and drinking plans

Fortunately, my family of 5 are not drinkers. Some of them may enjoy a cocktail or beer or two daily on a cruise, some do not. That made the decision to decline easy for the unlimited drinking plan.

All 5 of us have Platinum Latitudes status on NCL. As a result, we each receive the benefit of 2 free dinners at Le Bistro. We always dine there on cruise day 2 and day 7. In addition, the promotion at booking gave us 2 free dinners in Cagney’s, Le Bistro and La Cucina. As a result it made no sense to select the unlimited specialty dining package. Absent the Platinum status, I am pretty sure we would have selected it.

Dining and show ressies

We have not dined in a main dining room on NCL since 2009. The decline is food quality, selection and service has been noticeable. Long time cruisers used to benefit from the special attention and upgraded food of a specialty restaurant automatically in all the main dining rooms in the 80s and 90s.

A memory of our honeymoon cruise in 1984 that we will always remember was being run after and stopped by the head waiter and literally dragged back to our table at dinner because we had tried to exit before desserts were served. Our waiter and the head waiter arrived moments after reseating us with one of everything on the dessert menu (10 items!) and promptly laid them out in front of us. They hung around to make sure we tried everything. Every evening after that they were there ready to pounce in the event we tried an early exit again.

One of the many advantages of sailing in a suite on NCL is the dedicated concierge and staff to handle all your reservations. If you booked the dining ressies online in advance you had to pay for them at that time. With all our free dinners decided to wait, as on prior cruises, and had the concierge make all our arrangements. I was nervous that this may be a problem with the growth in the unlimited dining programs but it was not.

We also made no pre cruise show ressies and left that step to be given to our concierge upon boarding.

Pre cruise concierge

About a month before our cruise I sent a detailed email to the pre cruise concierge desk at NCL. It outlined our requests for the preparation of our suite as well as our planned dining ressies for the week.

These requests were for pillow types from the pillow menu, egg crate toppers for the secondary beds for the kids, clearing the fridge and preloading it with our desired beverages, wine requests to replace the usual Brut delivered to the room for sail away in a suite and for Platinum Latitudes status as well as additional instructions for the Butler in regards to the sweets and treats that they would be delivering for the week.

I received a confirming message that our requests had been received. All that was left was to see if they followed through. Many reviews of late have pointed out inconsistency in meeting these pre-cruise requests.

Up next – Bumps in the road

Edited by Zimomiller

Planning

With the cruise ressie in place I had 11 months to plan the details of our trip. That was almost not enough time.

Those of you that may have suffered through any of my previous long-winded cruise reviews know that I am a detailed planner. This trip was no exception.

One of the most painful things about any cruise is the last day of the cruise followed by the next day and the inevitable debarkation. I have always suffered and despised the sobering effects of the final cruise day before debarkation.

My plans for this cruise included an ingenious solution that I tested last year.

The post-cruise vacation.

Last year we took a 4 day cruise on the Sky in an owner’s suite. I found a smoking hot deal that I could not pass up but 4 days was nowhere near enough time for a vacation to decompress from a year’s worth of stress.

Years ago one of the more senior partners in my firm (Deloitte) told me:

“You need to schedule vacations to last 2 weeks. With the stresses we face and as hard as we work, a week is not enough time to truly relax”

I followed that advice the year he gave it to me and realized how spot it was. That extra 7 days made a huge difference.

Therefore when we returned to Miami from our Sky cruise we debarked without the pain and sorrow and headed to the airport to fly to Grand Cayman instead of home. There we spent 6 nights in a condo at Plantana on Seven Mile Beach.

As we returned home last year every one of my family members mentioned that the combination of our cruise and post cruise vacation made for the most relaxing and memorable family trip that we had ever taken.

As a result of this positive feedback, I once again booked a week long post Getaway cruise vacation at Plantana. We would simply return to Miami and immediately fly to Grand Cayman to repeat last year’s adventure.

The remainder of the next 10.75 months were spent trying to complete the planning details for our trip. These ended up being completed in the following order:

1) Find our CC roll call

2) Travel insurance

3) Port excursion planning

4) Rental car ressie for Grand Cayman

5) Airline ressies

6) Hotel reservations 1 day before the cruise

7) Evaluating unlimited specialty dining and drinking packages

8) Show and dining ressies for the Getaway

9) Pre cruise concierge

CC roll call

We have learned that a great way to gather information and plan is to visit CC and participate. Finding the roll-call for your particular cruise is just as useful and informative as you will meet many others with the same issues and questions that you have and some of them may have already done the leg work to answer your questions.

In addition, I have always read up on roll-calls in for cruises advance of my cruise to see what was being discussed and planned. After their cruise you can then find the reviews and comments to see what worked, what did not and more importantly, what was unanticipated.

Travel Insurance

We have traveled and cruised with our children since they were potty trained. One of the predictable things about children is that they will find trouble. Trouble will find them.

For many years we visited every on-ship medical center with sudden fevers, blisters from poisonous starfish, twisted ankles, scraped knee etc. Last year as we traveled from Miami to Grand Cayman my youngest daughter started breaking out in blisters on her arm and hand. We found a Dr on arrival and he diagnosed a dangerous staph infection that was promptly treated and after a few days was a non-issue.

We have also witnessed and experienced the impact of the decline of the airlines as a predictable service focused industry to be careless, unfriendly and unpredictable. We have had broken luggage and cancelled flights. Imagine returning to the airport after a 2 week cruise to the Med, happily exhausted, ready to go home and seeing your airplane at the gate with the engine cowlings up.

We have been reimbursed for all our maladies and issues promptly and without question. Just keep the details and receipts and submit timely.

We again booked Travelex insurance as in the past and 2 of the kids were not yet 21 so their insurance was free. This is a feature to look for when traveling with minors.

Port excursions

We have been to all the ports on the upcoming cruise many times before so I pretty much knew what my clan would want to do on each island. We had learned long ago after our first couple cruises that you can plan and arrange port excursions far more economically than anything that cruise line will arrange and sell you.

This is especially true in Europe. We had a 6-8 person minivan and tour guide meet us at each port on our Mediterranean cruise on the Jade with a specific itinerary ready to go. You are able to move sooo much faster and see so much more for so much less $$$ this way. The cruise line tours have waaay too many people moving on big buses. Very slow and overpriced.

Cruise critic and Google are your best friend when it comes to port planning. The ports of call rooms and the roll calls for cruises in advance of yours are chock full of planning points. CC reviews are also invaluable tools.

Rental cars

We have never rented a car for a cruise port. We have always been able to find economic transportation without the hassle. I did book car for our post cruise vacation as it was land based.

Airline ressies

We fly in to our embarkation city the day before we cruise. We used to fly in the day of the cruise. We never had any issues. The only reason we made the change was due to the changes in the unpredictable airline industry AND the ability to embark early, fully rested and ready to go.

I started charting airline pricing for the flights we wanted about 6 months out. I created a simple excel spreadsheet for tracking and checked every few days on the pricing and remaining number of seats. The frequency of checking increased to daily about 3.5 months out.

What I found was consistent with the pattern a couple years ago. Pricing is high and does not start to move around until about three months out.

My patience paid off and I grabbed our seats about 3.25 months out on a Wednesday AM when the prices suddenly dropped a couple hundred $$ PP. I watched for a few days after and the prices had reverted back up and never approached the lower pricing again.

Pre cruise hotel ressies

We have sailed from Miami many times over the years and we have enjoyed our stays at the Intercontinental hotel that overlooks the cruise port in Miami.

I always book a couple rooms through Last Minute Travel about a month out and get really great deals. They do not list the hotel names but it is really easy to identify the hotel from the pictures that they have on their site to show some of the hotels features.

Visit the CC North American Homeports – Florida departures board and you will find many threads on this topic to help you plan.

Unlimited dining and drinking plans

Fortunately, my family of 5 are not drinkers. Some of them may enjoy a cocktail or beer or two daily on a cruise, some do not. That made the decision to decline easy for the unlimited drinking plan.

All 5 of us have Platinum Latitudes status on NCL. As a result, we each receive the benefit of 2 free dinners at Le Bistro. We always dine there on cruise day 2 and day 7. In addition, the promotion at booking gave us 2 free dinners in Cagney’s, Le Bistro and La Cucina. As a result it made no sense to select the unlimited specialty dining package. Absent the Platinum status, I am pretty sure we would have selected it.

Dining and show ressies

We have not dined in a main dining room on NCL since 2009. The decline is food quality, selection and service has been noticeable. Long time cruisers used to benefit from the special attention and upgraded food of a specialty restaurant automatically in all the main dining rooms in the 80s and 90s.

A memory of our honeymoon cruise in 1984 that we will always remember was being run after and stopped by the head waiter and literally dragged back to our table at dinner because we had tried to exit before desserts were served. Our waiter and the head waiter arrived moments after reseating us with one of everything on the dessert menu (10 items!) and promptly laid them out in front of us. They hung around to make sure we tried everything. Every evening after that they were there ready to pounce in the event we tried an early exit again.

One of the many advantages of sailing in a suite on NCL is the dedicated concierge and staff to handle all your reservations. If you booked the dining ressies online in advance you had to pay for them at that time. With all our free dinners decided to wait, as on prior cruises, and had the concierge make all our arrangements. I was nervous that this may be a problem with the growth in the unlimited dining programs but it was not.

We also made no pre cruise show ressies and left that step to be given to our concierge upon boarding.

Pre cruise concierge

About a month before our cruise I sent a detailed email to the pre cruise concierge desk at NCL. It outlined our requests for the preparation of our suite as well as our planned dining ressies for the week.

These requests were for pillow types from the pillow menu, egg crate toppers for the secondary beds for the kids, clearing the fridge and preloading it with our desired beverages, wine requests to replace the usual Brut delivered to the room for sail away in a suite and for Platinum Latitudes status as well as additional instructions for the Butler in regards to the sweets and treats that they would be delivering for the week.

I received a confirming message that our requests had been received. All that was left was to see if they followed through. Many reviews of late have pointed out inconsistency in meeting these pre-cruise requests.

Up next – Bumps in the road

This has definitely been hit and miss for us! Even when not taken care of as preparation of the suite - its always been "fixed" once we board.

We have very few requests and I've always done it by phone but maybe email is the way to go and will get better results. Will have to give that a try for February.

Do you mind sharing the email that you used?? Thanks!

I could not agree with this more. I took 2 weeks off in a row for the first time ever this year. I went back to work more relaxed than I have ever been. I will do it every year from now on.

Great review so far, I can't wait for it to continue. Especially looking forward to hearing how well your pre-cruise concierge requests were honored. We have a suite booked for the first time this December on the Dawn.

Congratulations on your anniversary. I can't wait to read the rest of your review. I am booked on the Getaway for October. Good info on the pricing for airfare. I haven't been happy with the prices I am seeing so far. Looks like there is still hope for some downward movement on prices.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise was on the Southward in 1988. We thought she was a huge ship until we woke up one morning found the Sovereign of the Seas docked behind us. We will always have fond memories of the Southward, and we too have the dailies from that cruise.

I could not agree with this more. I took 2 weeks off in a row for the first time ever this year. I went back to work more relaxed than I have ever been. I will do it every year from now on.

4 weeks together is even better, you can do so much more in depth in Europe.:D

Our first cruise was on the Southward in 1988. We thought she was a huge ship until we woke up one morning found the Sovereign of the Seas docked behind us. We will always have fond memories of the Southward, and we too have the dailies from that cruise.

We still remember sailing back to Miami the last night on our Southward honeymoon cruise.

The Captain made sure our route back crossed paths with the Norway on her way out from Miami. We looked longingly at her sailing away and made a promise to sail her some day.

Luckily we were able to enjoy 7 cruises on her, the last in April 2003, 4 weeks before the boiler exlosion.

Sitting here smirking....what you describe is just how I planned our trip....and I agree, leave a paper trail ( e-mail) when requesting your wishes from pre concierge. I also hard copy my requests for our butler, just in case the follow through is a bit sketchy. Enjoying your review!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your review - our next vacation is a land trip for a family reunion back home in AA just in time for the art fair! Jan

A2 for Art fair is not for the faint of heart~.

Especially this year with all the road construction in and around A2.

Bumps in the road

Bump #1

One of the risks when planning a vacation so far in advance is that there is a lot more time for things to go wrong. That said, there is the benefit of having additional time to solve problems and seek out alternatives.

As I mentioned in my previous installment, we purchase travel insurance. The main purpose is to gain some peace of mind knowing that in the event something goes wrong, we have a financial backstop to help deal with comes what may.

Fast forward to February 2014. All our plans were coming together. I had just made final payment on the cruise and we had just booked our airline ressies. It was starting to get real!

We live in Michigan and suffered the most brutal winter that any of us could remember in many decades. Snow, ice and devastating cold. We were so looking forward to relief let alone a warm cruise in May.

Thursday February 13th we began babysitting a friend’s dog so they could go out of town for a long weekend. We have three labs that are all trained to stay within the boundaries of the invisible fence surrounding our 2.5 acre lot. My wife took the other dog out on a leash about 10:30 that night so the dog could do his business before we retired for the evening.

She slipped on black ice on our drive and fell. Unable to walk, she dragged herself back to the house and called me in my man cave and we ended up in the ER after an emergency ride via ambulance.

So there we were at midnight, sitting in an emergency room waiting for her x-ray results. I leaned over and said

“Happy Valentine’s Day! I told you I was going to take you somewhere new!”

The nurses laughed, my wife just smacked me.

The results, she had broken her pelvis in 3 places.

The good news was that there was no displacement and no surgery required. Just a long slow painful recovery.

Not long after getting back home we had a sudden realization that all our vacation plans were in jeopardy. Fortunately, after 6 weeks off work and a slow painful rehab, she was able to return to work.

Bump #2

We have a busy house with 3 labs, a cat and a cockatiel. Therefore we always have a house/pet sitter whenever we travel.

This trip was no exception. We had made arrangements with the woman that cleans our house to stay with our pets and watch the house. She actually told us a couple years ago that she wanted to housesit for all our vacations as the previous house sitters were very messy and hard to clean up after!

Shortly after the time my wife was injured our house sitter alerted my wife that her sister was recently diagnosed with inoperable cancer and her prognosis was not good. We immediately made arrangements with a family friend/college student to be ready to step in if need be on our trip. A first for our planning, a backup house sitter.

Bump #3

About 2 months before our cruise my wife announced to me that her employer was suspending all vacation requests for the month of June for a major software change and implementation and I would need to plan a vacation this summer for July or August.

My wife of course did not know about my well laid plans for our vacation trip 5/23-6/7.

I immediately contacted her new boss (the previous one had moved on) to see if there was any impact on my plans. Fortunately the new boss had been apprised of my plans and request and had already obtained clearance for my wife to be off as planned.

I told these stories only as examples of one of the many reasons why we buy travel insurance and how the best laid plans can go awry.

The surprise is blown………

About a month before our cruise, my wife’s boss emailed me and asked me when I was planning to drop the surprise on my wife. He needed to know as he was about to post the schedule that covered the time frame of our vacation. I told him I would get back to him and asked him what his absolute last day was. I had been hoping to wait for our anniversary to surprise her but it was probably not going to happen.

As it turns out, the surprise was blown a couple days later when a nosey, snoopy co-worker who was trying to get a vacation approved for the last week of May was informed by the boss that someone was already off.

Apparently she managed to see that my wife’s schedule was blocked off and then proceeded to query my wife about vacation plans that she of course knew nothing about and said so. That sent Ms. Busy body back to the boss to inform him that it must be a mistake and she wanted that slot for her vacation now.

My wife came home that evening and told me what had happened and of course asked me what was up!? She was thrilled by the news. I was pissed at the co-worker. Eventually Karma will repay Ms. Busybody.

Up next – On the road to Miami and the day before our embarkation

Edited by Zimomiller