My Laptop

koonard

Hi ,

Does anyone know how I can access wifi on land during my forthcoming cruise ? We are on the World on Elizabeth next Jan and so will be visiting many countries. I have a lovely new AppleBook air and want to take it with me. I have seem loads of the waiters from the ships sitting in the cruise terminals and so I guess there is a way of doing this as I can't pay for internet access on the ship as its rather expensive.

Any help will be most appreciated !

Many thanks. Koo

There is no general answer. Starbucks and other such places do supply WiFi access, some embarkation buildings do provide too. Don't connect to free routers if you are not shure about it. They may be a trap.

Mayor mobile telephone providers offer daily data packets for flat rate. Check this too.

Hi ,

Does anyone know how I can access wifi on land during my forthcoming cruise ? We are on the World on Elizabeth next Jan and so will be visiting many countries. I have a lovely new AppleBook air and want to take it with me. I have seem loads of the waiters from the ships sitting in the cruise terminals and so I guess there is a way of doing this as I can't pay for internet access on the ship as its rather expensive.

Any help will be most appreciated !

Many thanks. Koo

If you are doing the full World Voyage you will get some free internet minutes by the last few segments through the loyalty program.

I found the free wifi in the terminals pretty useless as there were usually so many people trying to use it at the same time.

Some ports are easier to find wifi than others. For example, in Hong Kong the terminal is part of a large shopping mall that has wifi in certain areas (it was very good). In some ports you had to search for free or cheap wifi. Ask crew on the ship where they are going.

Depending on what you want to do on the internet, it might be easier just to buy a package onboard. Remember, you are losing sightseeing time while you are looking for/using the internet on shore.

Edited by Scrapnana

I was on this years 2014 World Cruise along with Kathy ( Hi Kathy)

I was fortunate as my husband and I are diamond loyalty members so got 1000 free minutes each segment.

As I was writing a blog for a Uk cruise forum I had to post photos and that took all my minutes.

I managed it! Writing about every port we visited.

I agree with Kathy it is a waste of time trying to log on for free in port as every one is off the same mind.

Singapore was the only port I got good fast connection as most passengers had left the ship to tour or to leave full stop!

The best time to get fast connection was in the early hours of the morning after midnight, or around 6-0am. Also around 6-0pm when people are getting ready got dinner.

I hope you have a wonderful world cruise, we certainly did.

Read some my reports here if you have time.

http://www.cruise.co.uk/blog/maggiemou/

Here is a website designed to give cruise ship crew members information about WiFi hot spots in various ports around the world: http://crew-center.com/crew-wifi-locations-ports-worldwide

Of interest might be this short article regarding protecting security at WiFi hot spots: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/6-ways-to-use-public-wi-fi-hot-spots-safely/

Edited by Salacia

These days it's pretty easy to find bars and restaurants with free wifi almost anywhere in the world, even in third world countries.

We love to use them to upload pictures as we go, check our e-mail etc. We will also buy some computer time on the ship, but use it pretty sparingly because of the outrageous prices they charge.

It can be hard to get on to the wifi at the terminals because of the huge demand.