City bus to mendenhall glacier

THE G TEAM

We arrive in Juneau on Thursday the 26th of June at 10:00 am. We plan to take the city bus ($3) and walk the last 1/2 mile to Mendenhall Glacier. Can anyone tell me where you catch this city bus?

You should be able to catch it close to the downtown port- the main street where you come in - is Franklin- I would suggest you print them off- and have the schedule with you.

below is the web site- that you can print a schedule and map

Regular Route-

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/pdfs/busschedule5.pdf

or Express Bus

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/pdfs/CBJExpressSchedule.pdf

Edited by RLBlack
added info

why would one consider taking the city bus to 'near' Mendenhall? is it experience or expense?

if you're thinking of doing it to save money, then you're not valuing your travel time.

but if you are doing it for experience, you will learn as you make your stop at Lemon Creek Correctional Facility that Uncle Willy lives there. And after the third time a child says "that's where uncle willy lives" you will learn from his mom, loud enough for everyone to hear on the bus, that uncle willy is his father's brother and no relation to her.

or as you are driving down Eagan highway paralleling Gastineau channel, someone on the bus may point to the west at Douglas Island and say "see that, that's Russia". Where half the bus will try not to wet themselves holding in laughter and the other half in zip off pants and shiny water proofed shoes will take photos.

i love public transportation but i have the luxury of time as i will be in juneau for the week ( i buy bus tokens by the roll). if you think you are saving money, then your time has no value. but if you value the experience, you might pay for your whole trip.

if you're on the bus, look for a guy with the glasses, fedora, and brush mustache. i'll point out russia as we pass ................

What bottom said. Unless seeing the local wildlife is part of your itinerary, and I don't mean bears. The 'what have we done?' expressions that I've seen on tourists' faces on the bus...

Depending on the size of your group, it may be cheaper to take a cab, otherwise the glacier shuttle is the cheapest choice.

if you're thinking of doing it to save money, then you're not valuing your travel time.

OMG, Bottom-Dragger, it's true especially in our case. We'll be here @7am and leave @1pm (be on ship @12) only :(

Is it possible to in the time we have

1. go to the Glacier and hike to water fall and (after or before)

2. take the tram ?

OMG, Bottom-Dragger, it's true especially in our case. We'll be here @7am and leave @1pm (be on ship @12) only :(

Is it possible to in the time we have

1. go to the Glacier and hike to water fall and (after or before)

2. take the tram ?

wow, seems like a short time in port.

you're going to have to do some of your own searching as i don't do downtown juneau (or ketchikan) in the daytime during the summer....

- when do the shuttles start running? i think it's 8 but when there's a 0700 arrival....

- mendenhall is open during daylight hours but you need to check the current times if you are interested in going in the visitor's center. the monument is heavily used by locals during the mornings and evenings when ..... it's not over-run.

if i were you, and thousands of people are happy i am not, the moment the docklines are tied i'd be on the way to mendenhall. taxi/shuttle, whatever you find is the quickest. and it's not going to be the city bus.

do your hiking first (morning lower angle lighting will provide the best views and there'll be fewer tourists, sorry i used the 'T' word), decide if you need to do the visitor's center on the way out, and ride the shuttle back (you can buy oneways and the return shuttle lines will increase as the day progresses), and then decide if you need to do the tram with the time you have left.

Don't be dismayed OP. If you want to take the public bus to the glacier and walk from the bus stop, you won't be the first one. Sometimes it can get pretty harsh here on CC, but don't let that discourage you!

Edited by frugaltravel

Take a look at http://www.mightygreattrips.com They have the "big blue bus" that goes directly to Mendenhall Glacier. It drops you off at the visitors center. No need to walk a long way. The current cost appears to be $20 round trip. It starts at 9 am and last return trip is at 6 pm. Stay as long as you want then catch the next bus. They run every 30 minutes. We have used them and found them easy and efficient.

Buy tickets and pick up the bus at the parking lot under Mt. Robert tram.