young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

Yes the wording must differ from ship to ship and is at the hands of whoever writes the compass.

here is one from a recent cruise that clearly says "are not permitted". You have to squint to read it but its in there :)

I do not disagree with you that all shorts are not created equal and very much agree that a nice outfit can be put together using shorts.

Take a look at the sign someone posted earlier in the thread from the Freedom. Clearly says "not permitted" but I'm not sure if that's on every ship.

But in any case, if something is "not considered appropriate" that obviously means they don't want you to wear it. They're wording it in a non-confrontational way, and it probably won't be strictly enforced since they have chosen not to confront people about it in most cases, but the intent is clear.

Nobody on the ship will stop you (probably) so no need to play semantic games to justify it.

Yep, nothing but semantic games. From what seems to be the case in this thread, most every ship except Oasis/Allure publishes Cruise Compasses that say shorts are "not permitted", the signs at the door of most ships (probably again not Oasis/Allure) say "not permitted" and the RCI website says "not appropriate. Apart from hitting someone on the head with a frying pan, I'm not sure it could be made much clearer what they're trying for here!

I guess apparently they really AREN'T "all just about the same" after all, huh? ;)

While Im sure I am nowhere near the amount of cruises you have under your belt, EVERY RCI cruise I have been on had the LOUD blaring music with the dancing and singing waiters. In fact, every cruise Ive been on had this no matter the line. So in my limited experience, YES, most certainly they are "all just about the same".

I would consider myself LUCKY to go on one that didnt. Maybe you should as well ;)

Are you saying that in ALL your cruises you have never seen this? Surely I cant be the only one to ever witness such an act? I mean I would rather hear fingernails across the chalkboard than that loud, obnoxious and seriously destorted "music"! Seriously! I am literally still cringing over the thought of hearing the word "SHOWTIME!!!!" shouted through a loud speaker.

Edited by ryano

Not trying to justify anything, just tired of hearing that the dress code is a rule when it is not. It is a recommendation or suggestion, and that is RCI's wording. And stating it is not appropriate does indicate they would like us not to wear it, but they don't prohibit it from happening. At least not on all ships.

AGAIN, no its not, with the exception of Oasis/Allure. Wording in all other Cruise Compasses which have been produced (from as recently as the last month) reads NOT PERMITTED as do the signs outside most of the MDR's fleet-wide.

Keep trying though... :rolleyes:

Semantics. :rolleyes: rule/suggestion call it what you want. There is a dress code established. You are either complying with it or you're not. Just because there's no pants gestapo tackling people to prevent them from entering the MDR it doesn't change that fact.

The mental gymnastics people go through to pretend there's not really a dress code are hilarious. :cool:

And vice versa. :rolleyes:

Really? "Shorts, ball caps, bare feet NOT PERMITTED requires mental gymnastics to realize its a rule/code? Not if one has any reasonable mental capacity...

While Im sure I am nowhere near the amount of cruises you have under your belt, EVERY RCI cruise I have been on had the LOUD blaring music with the dancing and singing waiters. In fact, every cruise Ive been on had this no matter the line. So in my limited experience, YES, most certainly they are "all just about the same".

I would consider myself LUCKY to go on one that didnt. Maybe you should as well ;)

Are you saying that in ALL your cruises you have never seen this? Surely I cant be the only one to ever witness such an act? I mean I would rather hear fingernails across the chalkboard than that loud, obnoxious and seriously destorted "music"! Seriously! I am literally still cringing over the thought of hearing the word "SHOWTIME!!!!" shouted through a loud speaker.

No, I didn't say in "all my cruises" I have never seen that. If you remember, I remarked that another poster posting about what RCI MDR's are like is pretty irrelevant since they admit they've never in their life set foot on a RCI ship. YOU replied that "all cruise ships MDR's are the same" and went on to characterize them as loud music with singing and dancing waiters, etc. etc. Just pointing out that no, they're most certainly not "all the same" in that regard as you claimed - which makes my original point that someone talking about what RCI's are like without ever having set foot on an RCI ship is pretty silly.

oh,the onced a cruise Baked Alaska Parade

I am just glad they did not ask about wearing shorts in the diamond/diamond plus lounge.:eek: think of how that would have went over with the anti-shorts groups.

:)

You mean what about Baby's in the DL and if they can have shorts or not. Lol

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

I guess the way that I see it is "me and mine" will follow what we feel is the suggested/appropriate/recommended/etc. dress code and wear our fussy, gussy outfits in the MDR at dinner no matter what the other diners are wearing. I cannot speak for anyone else's teens, nor do I really care about what anyone else is wearing as it does not effect how my dinner tastes (which is what I am really concerned about :D) . I felt like telling the boys that they could wear whatever they wanted was saying the rules (suggestions-whatever) do not apply to them and so I gave them a rule of my own. Dress they way I say for dinner in the MDR or find another, more casual place to eat. Maybe I am in the minority but I did what I felt was best for my cruise, just as everyone else here will do what they think is best for their cruise.

And this explains why we are at as a society. Me, Me, ME!

And this explains why we are at as a society. Me, Me, ME!

Wow, how rude. Did you even read my post and the context it was written in?? I did use the word "me" but it was in relation to what I and my family see as complying with rules/suggestions given by the cruise line and how I made it clear to my child and his friend that they would comply or not dine I n that venue. Rules/regulations are what society supposedly relies on for order. Since that's what we were doing your smart aleck reply was ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Wow, how rude. Did you even read my post and the context it was written in?? I did use the word "me" but it was in relation to what I and my family see as complying with rules/suggestions given by the cruise line and how I made it clear to my child and his friend that they would comply or not dine I n that venue. Rules/regulations are what society supposedly relies on for order. Since that's what we were doing your smart aleck reply was ridiculous. :rolleyes:

As I have said, before on this thread, people pick which rules to follow and which to ignore.

You have pointed out that YOUR family follows the rules in THIS situation.

OTHER people do not follow the rules in the same situation also express the "ME AND MINE" thought process, thus my post of "And this explains why we are at as a society. Me, Me, ME!"

Awaiting an apology.

Awaiting an apology.

You shouldn't be getting one, but giving one.

This poster isn't making it all about them, they are merely suggesting that they stop worrying about everyone else failing to do something and focus on making sure they, themselves, are following the guidelines.

AKA stop being a busy-body who worries about whether everyone else is complying and instead worry about your own family complying.

You jumped on the wrong type of person in your little war.

As I have said, before on this thread, people pick which rules to follow and which to ignore.

You have pointed out that YOUR family follows the rules in THIS situation.

OTHER people do not follow the rules in the same situation also express the "ME AND MINE" thought process, thus my post of "And this explains why we are at as a society. Me, Me, ME!"

Awaiting an apology.

Ultimately human beings are going to initially do what they feel is right for their family. Purely by the length of this thread it is clear to see the discrepancies between priorities.

If people weren't thinking of themselves and their families, they wouldn't be going on a cruise in the first place, would they? They're not going for anyone else's benefit, surely?:confused:

What a strange perspective you have.

Edited by Adayatatime

Me, Me, ME!"

Awaiting an apology.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that demanding an apology for someone not agreeing with your opinion is seriously "ME ME ME."

Why would you be so focused on yourself that only your opinion counts as valid and people who disagree with you owe you an apology?

Edited by poncho1973

You shouldn't be getting one, but giving one.

This poster isn't making it all about them, they are merely suggesting that they stop worrying about everyone else failing to do something and focus on making sure they, themselves, are following the guidelines.

AKA stop being a busy-body who worries about whether everyone else is complying and instead worry about your own family complying.

You jumped on the wrong type of person in your little war.

Ultimately human beings are going to initially do what they feel is right for their family. Purely by the length of this thread it is clear to see the discrepancies between priorities.

If people weren't thinking of themselves and their families, they wouldn't be going on a cruise in the first place, would they? They're not going for anyone else's benefit, surely?:confused:

^^^ Yes!

Thank you, glad at least two people understood my point.

For us, it all comes down to this: As long as RC states "shorts are not permitted," my family will not wear shorts. However, when they drop this prohibition ( and I do believe they will,) my family will be pleased to show up in shorts.

Sherri:)

While it is quite clear that shorts, ball caps, etc. are not permitted in the MDR at dinner, both sides of the aisle do indeed go through "mental gymnastics" when trying to stretch RCI's published dress suggestions to suit their preference.

That is a fact, as evidenced by these repeated dress code threads.

Maybe I should have worded it in simpler terms about the "me" generation and not used MandyMooToo's post as an example. Today's "me first and only" generation is as you pointed out different between those that follow rules and those that disregard rules.

As mentioned people will do what they "they feel is right for their family" and where they draw their personal line on behavior is not my business. It is confusing to me that some here will pick a cruise line that prohibits bringing booze onboard, smoking on the balcony. or even shorts in the dinner venue, and then come here to complain about it.

While breaking a rule (shorts in the MDR) has possible little or no repercussion; stealing in some areas of the world will result in your arm being cut off.

NOTE: I AM NOT SUGGESTION WE CUT ARMS OFF OF SMART SHORT WEARERS. JUST WANTED TO BE CLEAR.

Once again; we pick and choose which rules to follow, however the repercussions are yours.

While it is quite clear that shorts, ball caps, etc. are not permitted in the MDR at dinner, both sides of the aisle do indeed go through "mental gymnastics" when trying to stretch RCI's published dress suggestions to suit their preference.

That is a fact, as evidenced by these repeated dress code threads.

In terms of dress suggestions for formal nights, you're correct. But as for shorts in the MDR, as you note, its quite clear that RCI does not permit them - no mental gymnastics needed to see that clearly, but much mental gymnastics required to try to explain why it shouldn't be followed!

Maybe I should have worded it in simpler terms about the "me" generation and not used MandyMooToo's post as an example. Today's "me first and only" generation is as you pointed out different between those that follow rules and those that disregard rules.

As mentioned people will do what they "they feel is right for their family" and where they draw their personal line on behavior is not my business. It is confusing to me that some here will pick a cruise line that prohibits bringing booze onboard, smoking on the balcony. or even shorts in the dinner venue, and then come here to complain about it.

While breaking a rule (shorts in the MDR) has possible little or no repercussion; stealing in some areas of the world will result in your arm being cut off.

NOTE: I AM NOT SUGGESTION WE CUT ARMS OFF OF SMART SHORT WEARERS. JUST WANTED TO BE CLEAR.

Once again; we pick and choose which rules to follow, however the repercussions are yours.

Have to agree with you on that!

I understand your point about the "me generation" as I am a juvenile probation officer and it seems that I see "me, me, me" all the time with a lot of young people and their parents (not all of course, some kids just do something dumb and have to work through the consequences). I guess my frustration came from you seeming to label me as one of these entitled "me" people. That was not what I was saying at all. I was basically saying that me and mine, meaning my family, will follow the

rules/suggestions/recommendations because I think that is the right thing to do for us. What everyone else does is their business as I cannot control what someone wears to the MDR anymore than I can control what you post in reply on this board.

As for your other point/statement about following one rule and breaking another, I do not break the other rules either as far as I know. We don't smuggle on booze, we buy a drink package (and do not share), we do not smoke at all so no issue there and we don't take pool towels home from the ship either. I'm sorry but I am rule follower :o Cannot help it, must just be engrained in me or something. As I said before: I am a probation officer, my husband is a police officer, father is a retired firefighter/EMT, and lots of military in the family too! So if I break a rule it is by accident. I just can't help but do as I am told :D

Edited by MandyMooToo

My 2 cents..

Wear what YOU AND YOUR FAMILY want to!

Let the ship staff enforce it's suggested dress codes. It's not up to everyone on these boards. If they don't enforce it, WHO CARES? You are on vacation. If you are going to allow someone in shorts and t-shirt ruin your dinner, you have many other problems going on upstairs.

Hmmm well maybe we're lucky to live in a democracy. Us human beings have a history of pushing boundaries. In the business world we don't stand still, and people vote with their feet. Gathering a range of attitudes and information is part of every successful company's strategy, and you can bet your bottom dollar (if in the States :)) that if there is a swing towards customers wanting, for example, to wear shorts, then they will change their policy accordingly, as it is all about profit.

We go through life with observing others doing what we like, what we don't like, and we pick and choose our fights. But don't you think that everyone's attitudes is for the greater good of our society, rather than the "me me me" you suggest.

After all, we can't stand still. Otherwise cruises would be out of reach for most.

Edited by Adayatatime

Don't be so quick to dismiss that idea, you could be onto something. Maybe something more nautical like walking the plank or keel hauling. :D

I understand your point about the "me generation" as I am a juvenile probation officer and it seems that I see "me, me, me" all the time with a lot of young people and their parents (not all of course, some kids just do something dumb and have to work through the consequences). I guess my frustration came from you seeming to label me as one of these entitled "me" people. That was not what I was saying at all. I was basically saying that me and mine, meaning my family, will follow the

rules/suggestions/recommendations because I think that is the right thing to do for us. What everyone else does is their business as I cannot control what someone wears to the MDR anymore than I can control what you post in reply on this board.

As for your other point/statement about following one rule and breaking another, I do not break the other rules either as far as I know. We don't smuggle on booze, we buy a drink package (and do not share), we do not smoke at all so no issue there and we don't take pool towels home from the ship either. I'm sorry but I am rule follower :o Cannot help it, must just be engrained in me or something. As I said before: I am a probation officer, my husband is a police officer, father is a retired firefighter/EMT, and lots of military in the family too! So if I break a rule it is by accident. I just can't help but do as I am told :D

And if we are ever on the same cruise, first two rounds are on me.