My "I lost 10 lbs on this cruise" review of the Getaway 6/7/2014-6/14/2014

Ok so now I am sitting in the surgeon's office thinking about all the ways this was going to kill me (I am a very anxious person in general) and I'm on the phone with my mom listening to her say we had to cancel the cruise.

I told her not to until after I spoke to the surgeon.

I finally get called in and he does his check up and tells me the ER greatly exaggerated my liver status and my white blood count. They were most likely elevated because of all the pain killers I was on.

So he tells me I definitely need surgery and then that is when I started telling him about my vacation and cruise.

I, with very little hope, ask him and the nurse if it was all possible I could still go.

He responds "well if I were you and in your condition, and I had a cruise booked I would (and I brace myself) go on the cruise.

WHATTTT??? I can go?? Woo hoo...but wait the ER had me pegged that I was about to die and now your telling me I can go. I'm so confused! Excited but confused.

The surgeon proceeds to tell me my gallbladder is not infected. He put me on an antibiotic and gave me a nice large prescription for pain killers just in case.

Then he tells me all the things to stay away from.

My NO NO list: No fat, butter, oil, dairy, spices, spicy food, caffeine or alcohol.

Huh? Didn't I just say I was going on a cruise? What in the world am I going to eat?? No chocolate either!

He said if I avoid the above I should not have any attacks.

I then asked him if he was positive my gallbladder would not explode in the middle of the ocean and that I wouldn't have to be air lifted off the boat. He assured me I would be ok as long as I followed DR'S orders.

I left with my surgery booked for June 20th and a just in case surgery date for June 6th (in case I had anymore attacks after avoiding all the above) and called my mom excited to tell her we could still go.

My mom was happy but worried that we should still go. I had to convince her (and myself) that I would be ok. She then said "what about the dining package? How can we still go and enjoy?"

I told her don't worry I won't eat if I can't eat. At this point I was more excited to go on the cruise!

I proceeded to tell my bf all my restrictions and he said "how will you survive without coffee?"

The surgeon was right behind me and heard him so he said "drink decaffeinated. You can trick your mind" Um mm yeah I don't think so lol I will know it's fake coffee :)

I went home mentally preparing myself to starve on this cruise and to not drool over everyone else's food while I'm sitting there eating air.

Up next: ok now you know the story behind the cruise so let's talk Miami!! And I'm going to try to upload pictures as well!!

HI all!

Following along! I had my first gb attack onboard NCL Dawn & thought I was having a heart attack. Months later was diagnosed with gall stones but still went on a holiday to Cuba with surgery scheduled when I returned. I was so worried because my ins. wouldn't cover me but lucked out that nothing happened while there.

Quite a restricted diet he put you on!:eek: I think red onions brought my attacks (monthly) on.

Hope you loved Getaway as much as I did.

~ Jo ~ :)

My hubby had a gall bladder attack while we were at an all-inclusive resort on St. martin. He was rolling on the floor in pain so I know you weren't exaggerating. All I could think was he'd need surgery in a third world country. Thank heavens the pain subsided and he hasn't had another attack even though it was years ago.

I had my gall bladder removed a couple years ago. I'm fairly certain that what I thought was Norovirus that I had several times were actually gall bladder problems brought on by the rich food on cruise ships.

Ahhh yes.. I know that pain well :( it radiated between my shoulder blades and my sternum - thought I was having a heart attack. Good thing I don't wear bikinis cuz the scar is something out of Jack the Ripper :eek:

Oh who am I kidding.. if I could wear one.. I'd wear it scar and all ;)

Looking forward to a happy ending to this story.

Sounds like you had your gallbladder out back in the "olden days" like me. I hope you at least had your appendix out at the same time like I did. :D My scar is 9 inches long plus a 1" scar for the drain tube. DH had his out and has three ¾-1" scars.

I did control it for over a year with diet until I could afford to have my gallbladder with 3 stones removed - only 1 was bigger than golf ball size, the other two looked like marbles.

Edited by peg013

Ha ha always leave the audience wanting more they say :D

So why not message me the rest of the story (so I know of course :D) but never return to this thread and keep them all guessing forever :eek: People will be looking in for days, weeks, months and years in the hope of your returning :p

You have my full support on this GREAT and AMAZING plan I've struck :p

Ahhh yes.. I know that pain well :( it radiated between my shoulder blades and my sternum - thought I was having a heart attack. Good thing I don't wear bikinis cuz the scar is something out of Jack the Ripper :eek:

Oh who am I kidding.. if I could wear one.. I'd wear it scar and all ;)

Looking forward to a happy ending to this story.

Ditto on that pain! Ugh the worst:(

Waiting for more of your review.

My daughter was away at college in a small town without a good hospital. She followed the restricted diet and waited 3 months until she was home to have the surgery.