Champagne at embarkation?

Faircliff

To begin' date=' the difference is about 8 times the price. :D[/quote']

Nope, not necessarily true that champagne is more expensive. Here is a champagne from the Champagne region of France that costs $29.99 per bottle, and a sparkling wine from the North Coast region of California that costs $99.99. Not all champagnes are better than all sparkling wines. I'm not a wine snob so I might not even notice the difference these two, regardless of the price.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Wine/Champagne-Sparkling/Champagne/Luculle/Laculle-Champagne-Brut-Premiere/40580

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Wine/Champagne-Sparkling/California/Schramsberg-Vineyards/Schramsberg-J-Schram-Sparkling-Wine-05/38822

Edited by PTMary

Ever wondered about the decor in the MDR on Solstice? And the name of the room? (Yes, it's a relevant question )

It's called The Grand Epernay Restaurant and is named for the city of Epernay, which is in the Champagne region of France. The chandeliers are designed to look like champagne bubbles along with the wine tower at one end. The color scheme is white and beige.

Blimey - rain on her parade why don't you :confused:

To be handed a glass of anything, champagne or sparkling wine aside, is a nice touch, and one that is a nice start to your holiday.

Having been on other lines, who come around with glasses of fix at sail away, hand you one, and then the person behind is thrusting the bill for you to sign after you've taken it, I think Celebrity are still doing their best to start to your cruise on a high note.

Carnival and Disney!

Nope, not necessarily true that champagne is more expensive. Here is a champagne from the Champagne region of France that costs $29.99 per bottle, and a sparkling wine from the North Coast region of California that costs $99.99. Not all champagnes are better than all sparkling wines. I'm not a wine snob so I might not even notice the difference these two, regardless of the price.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Wine/Champagne-Sparkling/Champagne/Luculle/Laculle-Champagne-Brut-Premiere/40580

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Wine/Champagne-Sparkling/California/Schramsberg-Vineyards/Schramsberg-J-Schram-Sparkling-Wine-05/38822

I didn't say that all champagnes are better than all sparkling wines, and of course there are also expensive sparkling wines, but in general, if you look at the average prices of sparkling wines and real Champagne, the difference is huge.

Apart from that, It's always a nice touch from Celebrity to offer a welcome drink when boarding the ship, and we still enjoy it, time after time. ;)

Interesting to hear the glass of bubbly or juice is still given on some of the ships.

It was missing from the Reflection last August. Others have posted that the Reflection staff circulated around the Deck at Sail-away and still others reported it was outside the Ocean-view cafe for embarkation lunch. We didn't see it anywhere but to be fair spent sail away in the sunset bar with friends.

We agree it is a nice touch and have enjoyed it in the past. We sail in just under 7 weeks on the Eclipse and wonder if it will be given out then.

I think it depends on which port you embark on. Some ports don't have the "jetways" So if you have to board the ship on the lower decks they can't hand out drinks as there is very little room and people just head for the stairs or elevators. But if, when you board, you enter onto the main entertainment deck (which is usually the norm) the flutes will be waiting for you:)

Edited by Christine Frances

Don't know if it was ever champagne and its not now. They pour a sparkling wine, but it isn't champagne
Just wanted to address the Champagne vs. Sparkling Wine difference for those who don't know. Champagne is a sparkling wine that happens to come from the Champagne region of France. It is considered the "gold standard" when you are discussing this type of product and as someone pointed out it is typically the most expensive. The thing to keep in mind is sparkling wines are produced most everywhere but only champagne comes from the Champagne region of France.

I guess before you sticklers get TOO eager to get all high & mighty with internet forum posters, you might want to deal with all the California wineries first... (There were many more to include but CC only wanted 6 images max)

KC_NV_BRUT.jpg

wycliff-california-champagne-brut-usa-10201969.jpg

SSCN7708.JPG

andre_XD_label__47591.jpg

wilson-creek-winery-vineyards-almond-california-champagne-temecula-valley-usa-10119847.jpg

barefoot_bubbly_pink_moscato_label__27371.JPG

Hit and miss most times there is a real effort put forth by staff to ensure a warm greeting and offer of beverage while boarding. However, we have experienced at least two cruises where no greeting nor beverage was being offered. Maybe it was bad timing on our part.

Hit and miss most times there is a real effort put forth by staff to ensure a warm greeting and offer of beverage while boarding. However, we have experienced at least two cruises where no greeting nor beverage was being offered. Maybe it was bad timing on our part.

Did you see my post #35 above? If they are unable to serve it on boarding they serve it around the pool deck and aft bar later.

I guess before you sticklers get TOO eager to get all high & mighty with internet forum posters, you might want to deal with all the California wineries first... (There were many more to include but CC only wanted 6 images max)

KC_NV_BRUT.jpg

wycliff-california-champagne-brut-usa-10201969.jpg

SSCN7708.JPG

andre_XD_label__47591.jpg

wilson-creek-winery-vineyards-almond-california-champagne-temecula-valley-usa-10119847.jpg

barefoot_bubbly_pink_moscato_label__27371.JPG

I'm not quite sure what you mean or intend by referring to "TOO eager" but my post was simply to illustrate the difference between two similar but different commodities. Sorry if you took offense or did not comprehend.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The sparkling wine welcome is a nice touch, be in champagne or some other wine made in the champagne style or other style. How can one find fault with such a nice and free welcome gesture?

I absolutely agree. It makes you feel welcome and it doesn't really matter what quality of sparkling wine. The gesture is there on Celebrity and isn't there on a number of other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not quite sure what you mean or intend by referring to "TOO eager" but my post was simply to illustrate the difference between two similar but different commodities. Sorry if you took offense or did not comprehend.

By "too eager" I meant that after the OP asked an innocent question about whether champagne was still served upon embarkation, multiple people jumped them with comments like "they don't serve champagne now and probably never did!" along with lectures about the difference between champagne and sparkling wine.

So tell me this, if they served a sparkling beverage from California that said "champagne" on the label, then did they or did they not serve champagne? Pretty hard to argue they didn't, when that's what the product label said - and certainly not at all out of line for the OP to refer to it as "champagne."

The OP was simply asking if they still served it, not for a lecture on "champagne vs. sparkling wine" especially when that bottle of "sparkling wine" was likely labeled "champagne." That’s why I suggested taking it up with the California producers instead.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

So tell me this, if they served a sparkling beverage from California that said "champagne" on the label, then did they or did they not serve champagne? Pretty hard to argue they didn't, when that's what the product label said - and certainly not at all out of line for the OP to refer to it as "champagne."

The OP was simply asking if they still served it, not for a lecture on "champagne vs. sparkling wine" especially when that bottle of "sparkling wine" was likely labeled "champagne." That’s why I suggested taking it up with the California producers instead.

The answer is that it's not champagne unless it's produced in the champagne region. If not it's a form of sparkling wine. Very similar but not identical. I also think it's a nice touch BTW. Much of the discussion on the thread involved the difference between two products.

Much like tequila isn't tequila unless it is produced in the State of Jalisco, Mexico, otherwise it's Mezcal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne

Maybe you will comprehend now.

The answer is that it's not champagne unless it's produced in the champagne region. If not it's a form of sparkling wine. Very similar but not identical. I also think it's a nice touch BTW. Much of the discussion on the thread involved the difference between two products.

Much like tequila isn't tequila unless it is produced in the State of Jalisco, Mexico, otherwise it's Mezcal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne

Maybe you will comprehend now.

LOL, thanks for the little dig there at the end. I comprehend just fine, thank you very much! :rolleyes: I even comprehend the difference between methode champenoise vs. charmat and know which one requires riddling.

I also note that the reference you conveniently provided says "some use the term champagne as a generic term for sparkling wine."

Since we're helpfully trying to assist others in their comprehension, let me enlighten you on the legalities (according to trade treaties between France and the United States) and labeling requirements for California Champagne - which IS legally & formally recognized.

http://www.californiachampagnes.com/champagne