Does my 4yr old need a passport?

KK70726

Sparks, was a 6th state recently added? I know that Minnesota was recently added to Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington but that's only 5 I know of.

No, you are correct, my memory went pffft for a minute. The 5 you list are it (that I am aware of anyhow).

I think it is ultimately less hassle and stress just to have a passport. Passport is bullet proof and better than all the handwringing and stress about birth certs and immigration rules every single time you end up going somewhere. I'm lazy like that though.

I don't think you're lazy - I think you're smart. :)

Not like it is impossibly difficult to get them or something. I got both of my daughter's when she was barely one month. Hardest part was just having her keep her eyes open for the pictures.

First time I applied for mine back 11 years ago, took about 20 minutes in the post office. Same with both mine and my kid's renewals recently.

If the OP is the only parent listed on the birth certificate, there really is no problem according to the Department of State.

If the minor only has one parent/guardian, evidence of sole authority to apply for the minor must be submitted with the application in the form of a:

• U.S. or foreign birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or adoption decree, listing only the applying parent

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html

I think it is ultimately less hassle and stress just to have a passport. Passport is bullet proof and better than all the handwringing and stress about birth certs and immigration rules every single time you end up going somewhere. I'm lazy like that though.

It depends on the type of person you are. We have sailed many times with DL and BC and never once had any hassles, handwringing, stress about birth certs or immigration rules. Some of us make sure we have the proper documentation, a little research is all it takes, and don't sweat over something that has an extremely low probability of happening.

Edited by Warm Breezes

It depends on the type of person you are. We have sailed many times with DL and BC and never once had any handwringing, stress about birth certs or immigration rules. Some of us make sure we have the proper documentation, a little research is all it takes, and don't sweat over something that has an extremely low probability of happening.

I said I'm lazy and can't be bothered with reading rules that are easily circumvented by having a passport.

The OP is obviously concerned about this. Why not just get a passport for the kid if she was getting one for herself anyway? What is the big deal?

I said I'm lazy and can't be bothered with reading rules that are easily circumvented by having a passport.

The OP is obviously concerned about this. Why not just get a passport for the kid if she was getting one for herself anyway? What is the big deal?

Maybe OP isn't lazy. :)

Maybe OP isn't lazy. :)

Oh dear! The OP stopped by to talk about her concerns regarding travel with her 4 yr old. She is asking the right questions, let's not beat her up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh dear! The OP stopped by to talk about her concerns regarding travel with her 4 yr old. She is asking the right questions, let's not beat her up!

Not beating up the OP, by no means. Just responding to another poster who stated that he was lazy and can't be bothered with reading rules. Well, maybe the OP isn't lazy and can be bothered to read rules. That was my point.

What is the big deal if she doesn't? The only way that I would get a passport for a 4 yo is if we were planning international travel by air within a year or two of the cruise and given the limited time a minor's passport is valid for I might even wait to get it until just before the flight.

Oh my goodness, this is the second time in this thread that someone has said "we" are beating up the OP! That's not true at all. I find this has been an informative, cordial thread. OP is getting the answers she needs. Gee. :confused:

Oh my goodness, this is the second time in this thread that someone has said "we" are beating up the OP! That's not true at all. I find this has been an informative, cordial thread. OP is getting the answers she needs. Gee. :confused:

I apologize.... I do not want any one to "beat up" the OP or me. I think this has been a nice conversation!

Happy travels :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

They've done this with Passport Cards and Enhanced Drivers Licenses (issued by 6 states), but of course neither may be used for international air- one still needs the Passport book for that. The Card or EDL may be used for land border crossings and closed loop and open jaw sailings within the WHTI.

Yes, those are steps in the right direction, but they're not enough considering the possibilities provided by modern technology.

Edited by MrsPete

Laziness is expensive. A child's passport is almost $100, whereas the birth certificate is already sitting in a drawer at home.

I probably don't know what I am talking about but it gnaws at me a little there could be a problem taking the child out of the country without Dad's name on the B/C and a letter of permission from him. I don't pretend to know the law but do know that sometimes we encounter one of those folks with 'power' who do not always exactly follow what is absolutely required but can stop her from boarding.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I probably don't know what I am talking about but it gnaws at me a little there could be a problem taking the child out of the country without Dad's name on the B/C and a letter of permission from him. I don't pretend to know the law but do know that sometimes we encounter one of those folks with 'power' who do not always exactly follow what is absolutely required but can stop her from boarding.[/B][/QUOTE]

While the OP personal details are none of our business... In this day and age things are different. Single moms and in the case of our family "test tube babies" technology can and does lead to non traditional families.

All that being said, I don't know if the laws have all caught up with the realities of modern life and technology.

The OP may want double check and ask an additional question or two. But with no father listed on that BC....there would be no other parent to sign anything. Once this child has a passport the OP will still need to bring that BC just to prove no other "parental permissions" are required.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app Edited by nana541