Can't wait for sales to end

How do you know the price will drop?:confused:

There are a LOT of threads on this sale, and it's a very mixed bag...

Some people are reporting that the sale was a very nice reduction in price from pre-sale levels, and others are reporting that the price went up!

Here's just an example of my own personal experience (one case of each situation).

Favourable: March 2016 7 Day on the Freedom - E2 Balcony price before the sale was $1,036 per person. After the sale - went down to $777 per person.

Unfavourable: March 2015 4 day on the Enchantment - JS price before the sale was $779 per person. After the sale - went up to $884 per person.

What appears to have happened on the unfavorable prices is that the price went up just before the sale, so that the 2nd person 50% off factor, really wasn't the reduction people thought it should be (ie, they thought it should be 50% of the "real" pre-sale price - before they artificially jacked it up).

But, it's really all just supply and demand - some prices go up, some down.

Some people think that once the sale ends, the prices will go back down to the pre-pre-sale levels.

Rare isn't a word I would use based on my 10 cruises I've only seen 2 price drops. But I book way ahead usually.

Wow, really? That's quite interesting.

I've only been on 3 Royal cruises, and every one of them had a price drop that I took advantage of. Mind you - 3 might not be a sufficient sample size? I too book in advance - anywhere between 8-20 months.

Edit: I sign up to that price tracker, and I get notifications of all price drops. I also check that same website every day too. So, when a price drop comes, I am on it within hours.

Edited by Toddcan

I'd not be surprised if they extend the sale again. Apparently it was so popular, they extended it 1.5 months already.

If it is so popular and RCI is selling off tons of cabins why would they need to extend the sale?

I'd not be surprised if they extend the sale again. Apparently it was so popular, they extended it 1.5 months already.

If it is so popular and RCI is selling off tons of cabins why would they need to extend the sale?

I agree with Bob.

I think the BOGO sale has been very successful for Royal Caribbean. If you look at the threads on the sale you will see that many passengers have booked multiple cruises. I currently have 4 cruises booked. I have never had more than 2.

I would not be surprised if they extended it through the fall or even the end of the year. All of these new reservation deposits is an infusion of cash at a time RCCL has an aggressive building program.

I agree with Bob.

I think the BOGO sale has been very successful for Royal Caribbean. If you look at the threads on the sale you will see that many passengers have booked multiple cruises. I currently have 4 cruises booked. I have never had more than 2.

I would not be surprised if they extended it through the fall or even the end of the year. All of these new reservation deposits is an infusion of cash at a time RCCL has an aggressive building program.

Right now I have none booked.:(

As many of us have noticed, the sale has not lowered prices on all cruises. In other words, the company might be getting more sales at higher prices because many think they are getting a deal.

I agree with Bob.

Add me to the list agreeing with you and Bob.

Clearly they have booked a ton of advance cruises during this sale...so a repeat in the near future or extension would not be a surprise. I also, however, have to agree with a few of the posters who point out that the "sale" really requires people to carefully follow prices...as even during this period...some cabins have fluctuated between great deals and higher prices at times.

While we managed to get the lowest price on a cruise since it became available online (and still is)...we've seen our cabin class go up and down once and now be flat at a $29-per-person higher amount during the 2nd round of the BOGOHO sale.

Monitoring prices regularly (daily if possible) seems to be the best advice anyone can give...

As many of us have noticed, the sale has not lowered prices on all cruises. In other words, the company might be getting more sales at higher prices because many think they are getting a deal.

OK, I completely agree with that reasoning.

I get the price drop email from here. From booking through RCI direct, is the best method to book the same cruise daily to look over pricing?

Yes, do a mock booking as often as you like. You can also get to the point where the price are displayed, and save that as a Favorite/Bookmark.

Wow, really? That's quite interesting.

I've only been on 3 Royal cruises, and every one of them had a price drop that I took advantage of. Mind you - 3 might not be a sufficient sample size? I too book in advance - anywhere between 8-20 months.

Edit: I sign up to that price tracker, and I get notifications of all price drops. I also check that same website every day too. So, when a price drop comes, I am on it within hours.

Like BillOh we have been on 6 cruises and have never had a price drop. We always book 12 - 18 months in advance. I must get a good price early and it just keeps going up. We are going on The Oasis November 15 and paid $3052 for a JS, we booked over a year ago. I just did a mock booking and the BOGOHO for a JS is now is $5074! The funny part is if I use the Illinois Resident & 55+ Discount instead of the BOGOHO Discount the price is $4246. Go figure!

If it is Royals objective to get new cruisers from the general population that have never cruised before or not on their line, then I think the marketing plan is ingenious in their part to get new business which is one of their corporate goals. This sale is for them, not us, although I did book 4 cabins (3 cruises) which I normally do not book that far in advance.

Additionally, the infusion of cash from 2015/2016 certainly helps their credit rating and the ability to borrow money at a better rate to build the new ships.

This is an estimate.:rolleyes:

They have 438 cruises listed for that time period of 2015/2016.

Avg capacity of 2,000. of which 50% are now booked because of the sale

Avg down payment 125.00

438x(2000 x .50) x125

For a grand total of $54,750,000 interest free loan.

Even if there were cancellations, ships sale full and they will get higher prices for the cabins as time goes by which will even out the sales prices given.

OK, I completely agree with that reasoning.

I am new to Cruise Critic and found this site when I was trying to research why the cruise I wanted to take was ONLY abut $45 (total cruise price) less with the 2nd guest half off. I have concluded from reading posts on this site and others that Royal Caribbean did have an actual 50% off second guest sale for a few days at the beginning of May, then the prices jumped to cover the "Sale" prices. I got the advertisement from RCI in the mail in June and my cruise total has never been half off the second guest from my original price since I got the advertisement from them. I was never one to constantly check the pricing, I would just wait for the mail and see what "deals" Royal Caribbean would send me. I have also concluded after reading many different postings that most cruise bookings are done with a TA and keeping this supposed "sale" going means that travel agents can tell their clients they are getting 50% off (even though at this point it seems that most of the cruises are now at close to the "original" pre May prices or even more at this point). But the TA clients think they are getting a great deal and that makes for happy customers. The ones that this supposed "sale" is bothering are those of us who book direct and had been watching prices pre-May and are able to compare todays rates and can see that the 50% off Sale is no longer really a Sale but a marketing concept for the TA's to use when they are selling. The good news: I was going to take a cruise anyway and at least the price of my cruise is not MORE with the half off sale! And now I have discovered that I should watch the website daily when I want to cruise instead of watching for the advertisements to come in the mail.

If it is Royals objective to get new cruisers from the general population that have never cruised before or not on their line, then I think the marketing plan is ingenious in their part to get new business which is one of their corporate goals. This sale is for them, not us, although I did book 4 cabins (3 cruises) which I normally do not book that far in advance.

Additionally, the infusion of cash from 2015/2016 certainly helps their credit rating and the ability to borrow money at a better rate to build the new ships.

This is an estimate.:rolleyes:

They have 438 cruises listed for that time period of 2015/2016.

Avg capacity of 2,000. of which 50% are now booked because of the sale

Avg down payment 125.00

438x(2000 x .50) x125

For a grand total of $54,750,000 interest free loan.

Even if there were cancellations, ships sale full and they will get higher prices for the cabins as time goes by which will even out the sales prices given.

Interesting when you look at the numbers like that. Makes sense to have the reduced deposit too - a lot of people may not have booked with the normal $250pp deposit.

Ditto, the prices have gone astronomical with this current promotion. We booked a Jr Suite for an 8/31 cruise at $1600 per person. When this promotion when into full gear, that same room jumped to $2673 per person, then half off the 2nd person. It's not too hard to figure out the math, it's not a sale.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Esmerelda

Ditto, the prices have gone astronomical with this current promotion. We booked a Jr Suite for an 8/31 cruise at $1600 per person. When this promotion when into full gear, that same room jumped to $2673 per person, then half off the 2nd person. It's not too hard to figure out the math, it's not a sale.

G'morn family!

I check prices of various cruises daily to look for options during upcoming time frames whereby I can travel. I think I am very well versed regarding prices, $/day values both double occupancy vs. solo, etc...

I have discovered that approx. half of the cruises that I have been monitoring for months are now a good deal under BOGOHO, the other aren't good deals. This could be by way more factors tham just the BOGOHO sale... ie. supply/demand of specific ship, specific itinerasry (if it's not well received), etc....

These are my personal recent real experiences:

• Radiance-Hawaii Sept 2015: booked before BOGOHO, after saved a little over $500, kept same cabin and res#
  • 10-day Legend-Southern Carib March 2015: before BOGOHO for 3 approx. $2700 before taxes/gratuities.... during BOGOHO 1st person $1000, 2nd $500, 3rd $500!!! Excellent deal. This is an interior so no extra C&A benfits for this price... PLUS $200 obc during WOW sale.
  • Quantum-Dec 2014: NO change in pricing. Not many cabins anyways, and absolutely zero SI & SB (single occupancy) cabins on any ittinerary +/- 2 months of the sailing I'm on as they are all sold out.
  • A new trip I am really thinking about: Serenade-Sept 2014 Med, Since last year approx $3000 double occ interior cabin/$3400 for a single... went up about $200-300 over the whole year. just recently Z & Y cabins avail $200 less than the last year and there are not many cabins at all, solo also down to $2800 from $3400.
  • I've also been researching Grandeur and Allure for Sept: Grandeur pricing is very high compared to almost all other ships on the fleet and has semmed to increase weekly over the last 3 months. Allure has gone up a good 200-400 per cabin in the last 3 weeks alone (however some great discounts on the Tuesday sales)

I've mentioned before I believe it's really dependent on the ship and sailing. I don't think it's fair to paint a picture about pricing with the same brush across the board here. If the company is successful gaining more market share, and ensuring more bookings farther out so that cruisers stick with RCL rather than "wander" to other lines that is awesome for them, Personally, I have never booked more than 1 year out and now I have two for 2015.

Happy cruising and enjoy your cruise deal hunting everyone! :D

A caveat to my previous post is that I've also noticed there has been much better pricing on interior & OV cabins as far as this sale goes, and it seems balcony + JS have been somewhat higher overall.

I'm guessing this may be the disparity between some CC'ers posting their personal experiences as many here postng have high C&A status and travel mostly in balcony or higher from what I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong). This could also lend credence to some previous threads regarding attracting new cruisers (to the "steerage" interior cabins :p) whereas RCI is perhaps not having any problems selling at all with balcony and above, especially with the ever rising numbers of new D's and D+'s with balcony benefits.