Bought a watch on the ship?

I have not bought on the ship. However I have definitely scored a few good deals on watches $5k+ in the islands over the last few years. St Martin seemed to have the best deals. Last watch was a Sub and negotiated earrings for my wife as they wouldn't discount the sub. Got home had earrings appraised for 3500$ cost me 200. So there are deals but negotiate a package deal. This was at goldfinger in St Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by CaribSailor

We have bought 4 citizen watches on different sailings and we know for a fact we got them cheaper on the ship as opposed to amazon and stores. So we were very happy with the prices we received. Good luck finding your watch!

I though it was a good deal, if not it was what I wanted. Compared the price to Sam's club, not exact model, but it was in the same pricing range and close on price.

I agree the Invitas on board area at least, $30-40 higher than Sam's club. I bought a Rolex look Sub Mariner(automatic) look alike at Sam's club, $109 plus tax, on board the same watch was $139+-.

PS it is a very good watch.

In Jan/12 I bought a Citizen PROMASTER DIVER. Model: BN0085-01E Eco-Drive watch and got it on St Maarten for $162.50 which was half of the mfg retail list price of $325. Saw same 1/2 off pricing for Citizen watches being promoted at our first port, which was St. Thomas, but didn't find the model I got later on St. Maaten. I went diving in St. Thomas so didn't have much time so I only looked at the Havensight Cruise Piers shopper area. We were on X Silhouette and they were offering same and other Citizen Eco-Drive watches for 20% or 30% off of the list price. I checked online and 1/2 off list was a great price then and still is.

DW bought a Skagen watch at the same time and it was also much cheaper that same watch onboard.;)

BN0085-01E_full.jpg

I am sorry if I offended you, however, I said you can get ripped off if you do not know pricing-I DID NOT say the merchant at Royal WILL rip you off. I do not understand what you mean by Citizen's watches are always cheaper than Macys. You do realize that Citizen is a watch brand and that Macys is a department store, right. As for the exact same model to say they are not cheaper is not true. Working in Macys in the watch dept I do know pricing and have compared certain models and they are more expensive on the ship. I have nothing against shopping on Royal-I have done plenty of it I was merely pointing out that pricing is not always better on the ship.

I saw a watch onboard Jewel in 2011 and did a lot of online research (we had several US ports so it didn't cost a fortune to do it) before deciding that the ship's price was the best I was going to find on that trip. Perhaps Macy's would have put it on sale for less eventually, but I wouldn't have any way of knowing when, so I got my watch and we are living happily ever after together.:)

As many posters have said, research is the key. Find the pricing on what you want before you go, write down the make & model and then compare. Then decide.

In Jan/12 I bought a Citizen PROMASTER DIVER. Model: BN0085-01E Eco-Drive watch and got it on St Maarten for $162.50 which was half of the mfg retail list price of $325. Saw same 1/2 off pricing for Citizen watches being promoted at our first port, which was St. Thomas, but didn't find the model I got later on St. Maaten. I went diving in St. Thomas so didn't have much time so I only looked at the Havensight Cruise Piers shopper area. We were on X Silhouette and they were offering same and other Citizen Eco-Drive watches for 20% or 30% off of the list price. I checked online and 1/2 off list was a great price then and still is.

DW bought a Skagen watch at the same time and it was also much cheaper that same watch onboard.;)

BN0085-01E_full.jpg

I bought this same watch on board for $195 a couple years ago. Still happy with the purchase. At the time 40% off Citizens was the best deal onboard or in port. Anything 40% or more is a great deal on Citizens, especially Eco Drives, compared to US sales prices.

BN0085-01E_full.jpg

I bought that very watch on the Navigator in June. The price was $211.00, the lowest price that I have found online is $243.00. I plan to buy another Eco-drive next April on our next cruise

Hi, just a warning about buying invicta watches on board ships. Their office in florida.

I had a bad experience with them bought 3 invicta watches for x-mass presents. They are all on a one year warranty. My husband watch was 250.00 us it stop working and the big came off. I sent it to them in florida, they sent it to the main office in europe. Had to pay for shipping and handling in US$. After six months it came back not fixed not even opened. So went i called back florida he informed me that i had to pay for ship & handling. That's not ok with me.

WARNING DON'T BUY INVICTA THEY DON'T RESPECT THE WARRANTY.

Also the Invicta MSRP are ridiculously high. I saw one Invicta watch onboard X Century last winter that was on sale for $129 or about 84% off of the $795 list price it had but when I checked it out online it could be had for around $99 or 87.5% off. ;)

I really chuckle when I see Invicta watches selling booths at airports promoting their 50% off prices.:rolleyes:

I would really check prices in the states before buying a watch onboard. I was on a Carnival ship last Dec and bought a Invicta watch onboard. I thought I was getting a good price but when I got home I went on Amazon and found the exact watch for over $100.00 cheaper. We can get caught when on a ship thinking their prices are really good but in reality you can get ripped off. I have worked in Macys in jewelry for years and we don't carry Invicta so I wasn't sure of the pricing but I know that when the ships carry Citizen watches on board they are always more expensive than the sales in Macys. Just be careful and know your prices before buying. Buyer beware!!!

More expensive watches are a better bargain. I bought a Citizen for a less then I can get it through Amazon and any other place.

I checked the price Macy had the watch on sale it was $50 more then I paid o the ship. Plus I would have paid another 8% sales tax on about $300.

I bought that very watch on the Navigator in June. The price was $211.00, the lowest price that I have found online is $243.00. I plan to buy another Eco-drive next April on our next cruise

That watch is currently at $179 with free shipping within the US at

http://www.jomashop.com/citizen-watch-bn0085-01e.html

I suggest you shop on St. Thomas or St. Maarten for your next Citizen if your cruise goes to either or both.

Edited by robtulipe

That watch is currently at $179 with free shipping within the US at

http://www.jomashop.com/citizen-watch-bn0085-01e.html

I suggest you shop on St. Thomas or St. Maarten for your next Citizen if your cruise goes to either or both.

Joma is not an authorized Citizen's dealer and cannot offer a Citizen's warranty. I own 9 Citizen watches and would not even consider purchasing from them.

You used to get a great deal on the ships when they offered 40% now still not bad at 35%. You can do better on St Thomas but be careful of international warranty in place of US warranty offered on the ship. I have purchased 4 Citizen watches in St Thomas. They usually are the same as the ship price or just slightly better, but since my wife and I purchase something each trip there they have started giving us an additional amount off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Joma is not an authorized Citizen's dealer and cannot offer a Citizen's warranty. I own 9 Citizen watches and would not even consider purchasing from them.

You used to get a great deal on the ships when they offered 40% now still not bad at 35%. You can do better on St Thomas but be careful of international warranty in place of US warranty offered on the ship. I have purchased 4 Citizen watches in St Thomas. They usually are the same as the ship price or just slightly better, but since my wife and I purchase something each trip there they have started giving us an additional amount off.

Since you own 9 Citizen watches read the warranty info and you will see the five years warranty covers not only purchases in the US, but in Canada, the Caribbean, Duty Free stores (where cruiseships fall IMO since RCCL ships aren't registered in the USA) and Military Exchanges.

That is the warranty I got with my Citizen watch I purchased in St. Maarten and there's a service centre about one hour away from my home. :rolleyes:

Edited by robtulipe

I bought the exact same watch except with the orange band which I find sportier. I got it at $156 on fleabay, would be happy paying anything around $200 or less. I wear it more than my Tag Aquaracer.

Was your purchased on that online flea market site from an authorized Citizen's dealer or someone that doesn't offer a Citizen's warranty .:D

I got some pretty nice U.S. Polo Assoc. combined digital analog watches at a Florida flea market a few years back. There weren't any warranty cards with them but they cost only $8 each with the discount coupons I had so I bought three. All three are still working.:)

Edited by robtulipe

This is very helpful. I have never purchased anything other than a $10 watch on a cruise. (when my battery died). But I have been looking at Citizen Eco drives, there a couple that I like. One for work and one for vacations.

The MSRP is not that expensive, so if they have them, or something similar, I may look at purchasing onboard. Thanks. :)

I am a watch enthusiast. I spend a lot of time looking for deals, reading about watches and partake in several watch forums.

First, you can expect a depreciation of 50% or more from the time you see it in the show case until you are walking out of the shop with it on your wrist. A value loss of 50% in three minutes is to much.

When comparing prices it is very easy for a novice to be confused when looking at two different models and be under the impression the watch they saw on land is the exact same model they are looking at on the ship. They may look the same, but often they are different models.

Invicta watches are pretty much mass market cheap watches. I know this will offend many, but they are pretty much worthless when it comes to resale value. Huge depreciation. However, if you like the looks of the Invicta, then by all means buy it.

I would not purchase a watch on the ship or even in port unless I knew the exact model I wanted and how much I could get it for on land. It would need to be a substantial savings for me to pull the trigger.

I suggest buying watches used. Many collectors buy the watch, care for the watch and only wear the watch a few times. You can get a used watch in perfect condition for 50% or more less then any retail establishment. When you grow tired of it or want to move up to a better model, you can sell the watch and not take much of a loss at all. As long as you took care of the watch and you are buying a brand that people collect.

Would you or anyone ever notice that the perfect Breitling Avenger II Seawolf was used?

Edited by Tutankhamen

Invicta watches are pretty much mass market cheap watches. I know this will offend many, but they are pretty much worthless when it comes to resale value. Huge depreciation. However, if you like the looks of the Invicta, then by all means buy it.

Sadly, they make a joke of their RRP. I don't believe anyone would have ever paid their "RRP" for them. If they were only genuine about their real price, things would be a lot better... though maybe they think they would get less sales if they only discounted 10% or so.

As distinct from say Casio and Citizen where the RRP is genuine, though you can of course get discounts from some vendors as well.

Edited by The_Big_M