Tip and secrets about Divina

33Minnie33

We all read things from our point of view. If the negative posts aren't directed toward you or your country of origin, you probably wouldn't pay attention to it. As I said, I've only been reading here a few weeks & have seen many anti-America posts. Most of them come from the same few members. The worst have been deleted, but the mods shouldn't have to worry about stuff like that. It shouldn't be here. We should all realize that no one wants others to put down their country. That's common sense & isn't unique to any one country. IMO, the sticky & rules should be for all countries. I wouldn't advocate European bashing anymore than American bashing. Then again, it wouldn't occur to me to bash another country in the first place.

Again, please feel free to highlight the "anti-American posts". It's strange how they've been deleted but the ones criticising Europeans are allowed to stand.

You are perfectly correct. We do read things from our own point of view. And with that in mind I would urge you to re-read the post I previously made.

If there is one thing that riles me it's xenophobia/jingoism. I'll call it out instantly if I see it, irrespective of who is doing it. I've not seen anti Americanism on this board. I reiterate, people's reviews and opinions have been discussed, analysed and, yes, sometimes rubbished and poked fun at. But that's exclusive of their nationally. If there has been ones deleted and I've not noticed them then it must have been done quickly because I'm a tart for this board when I have a cruise due, and 4 MSC cruises in the past year means I interact more on here than I do with my own husband. :D

Maybe somebody can help me with my question.

I love ellipticals and have a daily routine 2-2.5 hours in the morning. However I cannot exersise without TV. It is just plain boring. I see that Divina has nice ellipticals, but no tv around. Do these ellipticals have TVs installed like the ones on NCL Breakaway?

Maybe it's because of my Australian heritage....but I totally got what Kat was saying in her message.........we have all been reading the many posts both positive and negative over the past many months...and she was just making a "smart arse comment"....well.........I guess to all the Americans that I have read countless comments on this board.........you should just have chilled a little and realized that she was kidding as in a joke............but maybe you haven't been following the boards and havent' read what we all have.........Aussies and Kiwis.....have a special relationship...:)....but we understand our humour at least.............Kat I GOT IT...

I GOT IT TOO;)..... Kat was just relaying (tongue in cheek) what a lot of Americans have been saying on this board and it seemed way over the top. Especially considering that some of these "negative comments" were coming from Pax that were paying less money for this cruise then actually staying at home. Kat was not trying to be negative at all. She was just trying to convey that it would be a different experience one might be used to on; say a Caribbean cruise.

Sorry, you got FLAMED Kat, but that can be part of the Cruise Critic experience:rolleyes:

Not to worry..........Only 2 weeks to go before you are in your beautiful Yacht Club cabin:p

Edited by Waihekean

Maybe somebody can help me with my question.

I love ellipticals and have a daily routine 2-2.5 hours in the morning. However I cannot exersise without TV. It is just plain boring. I see that Divina has nice ellipticals, but no tv around. Do these ellipticals have TVs installed like the ones on NCL Breakaway?

There were no visible TV's in the gym on the Preziosa.

I can answer your question in three weeks for certain. I tend to balance an ipad on gym equipment if needed. However music is usually enough to get me by.

I GOT IT TOO;)..... Kat was just relaying (tongue in cheek) what a lot of Americans have been saying on this board and it seemed way over the top. Especially considering that some of these "negative comments" were coming from Pax that were paying less money for this cruise then actually staying at home. Kat was not trying to be negative at all. She was just trying to convey that it would be a different experience one might be used to on; say a Caribbean cruise.

Sorry, you got FLAMED Kat, but that can be part of the Cruise Critic experience:rolleyes:

Not to worry..........Only 2 weeks to go before you are in your beautiful Yacht Club cabin:p

You're right about the flaming. I've got permanent scorch marks on my backside from this board. Mainly because of my sarcasm too.

I call it "sar-chasm". It's when the post falls into a black hole of misunderstanding. People tend to attack what they don't comprehend. :D

Again, please feel free to highlight the "anti-American posts". It's strange how they've been deleted but the ones criticising Europeans are allowed to stand.

You are perfectly correct. We do read things from our own point of view. And with that in mind I would urge you to re-read the post I previously made.

If there is one thing that riles me it's xenophobia/jingoism. I'll call it out instantly if I see it, irrespective of who is doing it. I've not seen anti Americanism on this board. I reiterate, people's reviews and opinions have been discussed, analysed and, yes, sometimes rubbished and poked fun at. But that's exclusive of their nationally. If there has been ones deleted and I've not noticed them then it must have been done quickly because I'm a tart for this board when I have a cruise due, and 4 MSC cruises in the past year means I interact more on here than I do with my own husband. :D

Without calling out names, I can't bring up the posts that were deleted. I'm sure some others will remember them & the authors of the deleted posts will know. I have no idea why some posts are deleted & others aren't, but they have been. Maybe the anti-European posts were before I started reading here & I'm just seeing the backlash. I don't know. Judging by this back & forth this board is apparently not going to become a friendlier place to read. I don't come here to argue & there seems to be way too much of that going on here. I'll be looking for another board to research MSC cruises.

There were no visible TV's in the gym on the Preziosa.

I can answer your question in three weeks for certain. I tend to balance an ipad on gym equipment if needed. However music is usually enough to get me by.

Thank you. I will be waiting! Have a great cruise.

If nothing is awailable, I will probably have to record something on my Ipad. Two hours of music is too much.:)

By the way do you know what time gym opens in the morning?

Thank you. I will be waiting! Have a great cruise.

If nothing is awailable, I will probably have to record something on my Ipad. Two hours of music is too much.:)

By the way do you know what time gym opens in the morning?

It's as early as six am some days. Again I'll check for sure.

Without calling out names, I can't bring up the posts that were deleted. I'm sure some others will remember them & the authors of the deleted posts will know. I have no idea why some posts are deleted & others aren't, but they have been. Maybe the anti-European posts were before I started reading here & I'm just seeing the backlash. I don't know. Judging by this back & forth this board is apparently not going to become a friendlier place to read. I don't come here to argue & there seems to be way too much of that going on here. I'll be looking for another board to research MSC cruises.

Wow.

Ok. Cheerio.

Oh dear............well then...........I had no intention in my defense of Kat to make it sound like I was calling out Americans.........I was just commenting that because of where I grew up I could identify with Kat's humour.........it is true that people from different places do things differently...and actually have been brought up with different customs etc.....I wasn't being critical.....just making a statement............

So anyway..........Kat I hope you have an amazing cruise and give us all the details when you get back...........I am actually looking forward to the long dinner sessions..........even here in the good ole U.S of A....we take longer in the restaurants than those around us....but our American friends love it too...........we of course tip accordingly knowing we are taking up a table that could have been "turned over" and had more patronage for tips......

In life I find that if you treat those around you as you want to be treated.........(the golden rule by the way)......it usually turns out good....

You're right about the flaming. I've got permanent scorch marks on my backside from this board. Mainly because of my sarcasm too.

I call it "sar-chasm". It's when the post falls into a black hole of misunderstanding. People tend to attack what they don't comprehend. :D

That's a neat way of expressing it.

I can't recall a post on here in the 9 months since the Divina crossed the Atlantic where an American citizen has been attacked for being American. Their opinions, views and reviews may have. But not their nationality.

However there have been countless posts where people have complained that "the ship does announcements in five languages". I recently read a post where someone stated it was "unnecessary" to make announcements in other languages. That's extremely xenophobic to anyone but native English speakers.

The incessant war of attrition over water at the table for free is tiresome for both "sides" but both reviews and posts demand that this be available. Recently posters and reviewers have added coffee to that demand and seem affronted when it's still not given.

Are you saying that tap water (not bottled water) is not provided in the MDR at dinner time? Or coffee with desert??

Yet more posters question the level of service received. They compare it unfavourably with other lines. Some posters suggest the European way of doing things means MSC "won't last in the Carribean" unless they change and improve.

The diatribes about omelette stations abound. Search for it. They're there. There was an actual international incident on the maiden Miami voyage because they didn't have one.

Holy cow, really??? :eek:

Staff have been called rude, smelly, ignorant, unable to speak or understand English and not willing to adapt. Their only crime is being European. As for fellow passengers that are from Europe, well, they're arrogant, pushy, nasty rude and vindictive. And don't get me started on what we've been called because our culture doesn't usually tip AND MSC Cruises request that guests do not tip staff.

Some Europeans are that way, some are not. Some Americans are that way, some are not. The tipping aspect that I have read about concerns Europeans (Mainly Brits, some, not most) that do not wish to pay the service charges as well as not tipping (because it's not part of their culture). But when sailing out of Miami at least, it is expected that these service charges be paid and yes, that rankles most people's sensibilities.

Like I said, I can't think of a post where anyone has been insulted for being American. But I've read plenty over the part year, almost on a daily basis, where there has been insidious and thinly veiled xenophobia about non-American citizens. I'm European. I'd like people to stop insulting my continental brothers and sisters.

So please ask for the sticky about posting negatively to stop. But, please, make sure it takes Europeans into account.

Thank you

BTW, my wife was born and bred in Germany so being able to handle her will ensure I will have no problems on the Divina.

Edited by Out to sea!

we were in the yacht club on the splendida several years ago and cruised the med...it was wonderful, we liked it so much we did the same cruise again.

I don't think we ventured out of the yacht club area except for breakfast once and of course had to traverse the ship for dinner to the restaurant L'Olivo. We also saw one show...

We found the crew to be lovely, hospitable and gracious. If there was nothing on the menu that we liked or appealed in the restaurant, they offered us other choices, and i think the food was very good.

We are on for the transatlantic in the yacht club on the divina in april 2015. We can't wait!!

Edited by spinnaker2
left out several words

Ok time for me to put my two cents worth in.

As for the debate over peoples origins here is my views and observations of cruisers.

Americans, in general, come across somewhat vocal and loud on cruises. They demand a high level of service and make wonderful lifelong cruise friends.

Europeans have very high expectations and can sometimes appear a little snobby.

Aussies are very laid back and love a drink or ten and are not fazed by much.

At the end of the day we are all cruising for one reason.....to have fun and relax.

A cruise is what you make of it. If the food is half decent, the staff half polite and helpful, the music good and the beer cold then you are three quarters to WINNING.

Before we complain we should thank ourselves lucky to be able to cruise in the first place. There are millions around the world who would love to but can't afford it or are lacking in health.

Eat, drink and be merry people as tomorrow may never come. Don't sweat the small stuff. Look for the positives and don't dwell on the negatives.

And by the way, I am Australian born and raised with dual US citizenship and bloodline with half my family being American (I guess you can call me Austmerican). On a cruise I don't care where you are from so as long as you are there for the same reason as me.....and I know you will be.

Happy cruising everyone. I can't wait til by Xmas and then New Year cruise on the Divina. I am just happy to be with my family cruising and meeting new friends :)

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

Or maybe they've been reading all the "my country is better than yours" posts on this board as of late. It's ridiculous! There's no reason a persons country of origin should affect posts, but it definitely does many times on this board. It has almost turned me off Divina, because researching cruises here isn't pleasant at times. There really should be an enforced sticky at the top stating posting negatively toward an entire country isn't permitted. It seems silly that this would be needed, but apparently it is. I can honestly say this is the only message board forum that I have ever seen this. It's been off-putting to say the least. Kat probably didn't mean her post the way some read it, but it's starting to hit a sore spot. Yes, those bashing Divina's bacon, etc. may show their ignorance toward other cultures, but they are individuals. They don't represent the country as a whole. My problem with this board is it the fact that people seem to believe that it can't be just one poster's opinion. It must be due to them being American. :confused: Believe it or not, but all Americans aren't the same & don't agree on everything. Until I started reading this board, I didn't realize there was so much distain for Americans, not in Europe & Australia at least. I certainly never felt that way about another country.

I just started reading here. It would be really sad to think this board has always been this way. Hopefully, this is a new phenomenon. Sorry for the soap box, but I think this board would be better served, if the word American came up much less. Judge members for their posts not their country of origin like all the other boards do. I almost deleted this a couple times, but I'm hoping something will get through & this board will become more pleasant for all.

FWIW, all the cruise lines have lovers & haters from all over the world. The "so called" American cruise lines receive as many complaints as MSC does. The only true American cruise ship is Pride Of America & there are Americans who say they didn't enjoy that ship. MSC obviously has a unique style that some will love & others not. The same is true for many cruise lines.

My son is a tarheel fan........I don't unlike Americans....I live here for petes sake.............all my comment meant was.............I understand Kats humour because I have the same sarcastic humour......being from where we are from.................no one was saying Americans aren't fun..............etc etc.............for petes sake...........get over it...............

Ok time for me to put my two cents worth in.

As for the debate over peoples origins here is my views and observations of cruisers.

Americans, in general, come across somewhat vocal and loud on cruises. They demand a high level of service and make wonderful lifelong cruise friends.

Europeans have very high expectations and can sometimes appear a little snobby.

Aussies are very laid back and love a drink or ten and are not fazed by much.

At the end of the day we are all cruising for one reason.....to have fun and relax.

A cruise is what you make of it. If the food is half decent, the staff half polite and helpful, the music good and the beer cold then you are three quarters to WINNING.

Before we complain we should thank ourselves lucky to be able to cruise in the first place. There are millions around the world who would love to but can't afford it or are lacking in health.

Eat, drink and be merry people as tomorrow may never come. Don't sweat the small stuff. Look for the positives and don't dwell on the negatives.

And by the way, I am Australian born and raised with dual US citizenship and bloodline with half my family being American (I guess you can call me Austmerican). On a cruise I don't care where you are from so as long as you are there for the same reason as me.....and I know you will be.

Happy cruising everyone. I can't wait til by Xmas and then New Year cruise on the Divina. I am just happy to be with my family cruising and meeting new friends :)

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

Well said Aza, :)

Hi

Just to remember all of you that this post is for getting tips and secrets of the Divina

For those who been on it, can you share your experience ????

I'll be on the Divina at the end of August and going to be our first time in a aft cabin... So any tips and secrets are welcome

Thanks in advance

Hi

Just to remember all of you that this post is for getting tips and secrets of the Divina

I'll be on the Divina at the end of August and going to be our first time in a aft cabin... So any tips and secrets are welcome

Thanks in advance

Thanks for posting this.....I was sorry I ever started this after reading what it has turned into. I was hoping as I have had on other line.... I would get some useful tips for my first cruise in this cruise line.

One thing we enjoyed was watching the " Morning Show' on TV while having our coffee. Entertaining and informative at the same time. We also won several prizes by participating in the quizzes the CD announced on the show every morning.

Hi

Thanks in advance

I had quit following this thread because it had gotten WAY off topic. Thought I'd come back and see if there might be any useful info. Looks like we're on the same sailing Casanova02. :)

If anyone has any tips/info about the YC, please share.

One thing we enjoyed was watching the " Morning Show' on TV while having our coffee. Entertaining and informative at the same time. We also won several prizes by participating in the quizzes the CD announced on the show every morning.

That sounds fun! What kind of prizes did you win? Also...not the same subject, but do you know if they offer Zumba on this ship?

Edited by FLAMOM24

I sailed on Divina in April for Cruise to the Edge. Here are my tips. Deck 13 is the most expensive and IMO should be the cheapest. Your room will either be directly under the buffet or the pool deck. Noisy, chairs and loungers shuffling about too early in the morning. Also the balcony is under the overhang of the pool deck so you don't have sunshine on the balcony. You decide if that is a good thing or bad thing. It is convenient to getting to the pool deck and buffet though without waiting for the elevators. Buy the drink package. My favorite cocktail was the Coco Loco. Be nice to the staff and they will be nice to you. They are over worked and way under paid. The ladies in the spa are magicians. Book a package and tip them well. They make next to nothing. The hair salon is a great value. The barber and two hair dressers are very good.

The food is marginal and that is being generous. A few things were very good like the fish entries, most was inedible. The pizza was the best thing on the ship, second is the cafe' pastries and all of the Italian coffee bars. Food is subjective though. You may love it. It's a beautiful ship. Stay out of the casino, the slots odds on ships are not regulated. You lose.

I'll be on two cruises next year on Divina, Monsters of Rock and Cruise to the Edge. I don't go for the usual cruise experience. Generally I detest cruises but I've had the time of my life on the two theme cruises I've done.