When to arrive for boarding?

MilaMiah

I'm sure this answer is here somewhere, but to be honest, this is our first cruise and we booked 13 days to sailing and I'm starting to panic and running out of time.

Our boarding passes say arrive to the port by 3:00, but our ship sails at 4:00. It doesn't seem wise to wait until 3:00. What time should we really arrive and how long should we expect to wait?

Thanks so much for your advice.

If you want to get on as early as possible, show up at about 10:30 or so. I don't know what port you are going out of, but most will start boarding somewhere around 11:00, as long as there are no delays. Priority boarding people will get to go before you (unless you purchased FTTF), but if you show up early, you will probably be on board before noon. I always show up early. Some people try to show up around 1:00-1:30, because rooms aren't ready until about 1:30, and they want to go straight to their rooms. I would never show up to the port after 2:00. You really need to be on board by 3:00 at the latest.

Different ports are different with their typical waits. Before being platinum, I got on the ship in Port Canaveral very quickly, within about 45 minutes of arriving. Mobile took almost 2 hours after arriving at the port, by far the slowest. Galveston was quick, New Orleans was average. Have a great time on your cruise!

Thanks. We are leaving out of Port Canaveral. We will be driving down that morning, as we are visiting family only a few hours away.

We didn't purchase FFTF and I'm not sure I saw it even offered and can't decide if it were offered, if it was worth it to us. We are traveling with our teens and have two cabins.

If I understand right, we would have to purchase two FFTF, one for each cabin, right? Or is it one per person?

"then by zones" - How do we know what zone we're in? Boy I've got a lot to learn.

I am pretty sure you will have to purchase one for each cabin (not person). But others will chime in and let you know their experience with multiple cabins.

Zones... you will be given a card with a number on it. That is your zone number. The earlier you arrive at the port, the lower number you will get. They board by zones (starting at 1) after wedding parties, Platinum/Diamond, suites, and FTTF.

Enjoy your cruise. PC is a good port to leave from. On a clear day, you can see the Kennedy Space Center to the north. I have great pictures of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) from the cruise ship deck.

Steve

Thanks. We are leaving out of Port Canaveral. We will be driving down that morning, as we are visiting family only a few hours away.

We didn't purchase FFTF and I'm not sure I saw it even offered and can't decide if it were offered, if it was worth it to us. We are traveling with our teens and have two cabins.

If I understand right, we would have to purchase two FFTF, one for each cabin, right? Or is it one per person?

"then by zones" - How do we know what zone we're in? Boy I've got a lot to learn.

Don't stress too much! We were all first-time cruisers at one point. There will be Carnival/Port employees to to guide you through the embarkation process. Ask questions if you're not sure and just relax. DH & I didn't find out about CC until after our first cruise, we were totally clueless and we had a blast. Enjoy!

I always arrive between 10:30 and 11. If there are no issues boarding usually begins around 11:15-11:30ish. They start with the wedding parties then the diamond, platinum and FTTF then by zone #'s. Enjoy!

Yes, we always shoot for around 11:00.

We usually arrive 10:30-11. We like to get on the ship, have lunch and explore before it gets really crowded. If that doesn't matter to you, I'd say get there around 1. That's probably the latest I would think to arrive.

I say 1:30 - 2:00. IMO you will feel less rushed, and experience shorter lines. Yeah you might miss one lunch, but that will only make dinner taste that much better. And by the end of your cruise you won't even care.

It is funny to me that those who want to be the first ones on the ship also want to be the first off the ship the last day.

Since you are driving, start your vacation ASAP by sleeping in. And do the same on the last day. We slept as late as possible, ate a leisurely breakfast and stayed in our cabin until they kicked us out...then strolled off the ship.

Have done this twice.

Edited by Badfinger

I say 1:30 - 2:00. IMO you will feel less rushed, and experience shorter lines. Yeah you might miss one lunch, but that will only make dinner taste that much better. And by the end of your cruise you won't even care.

It is funny to me that those who want to be the first ones on the ship also want to be the first off the ship the last day.

Since you are driving, start your vacation ASAP by sleeping in. And do the same on the last day. We slept as late as possible, ate a leisurely breakfast and stayed in our cabin until they kicked us out...then strolled off the ship.

Have done this twice.

I like being one of the last groups off the ship. Makes my vacation last just a little bit longer.

I'm sure this answer is here somewhere, but to be honest, this is our first cruise and we booked 13 days to sailing and I'm starting to panic and running out of time.

Our boarding passes say arrive to the port by 3:00, but our ship sails at 4:00. It doesn't seem wise to wait until 3:00. What time should we really arrive and how long should we expect to wait?

Thanks so much for your advice.

You do not have to wait until 3. You should be there by 3 so you can be checked in. The ship sails at 4 and they have to turn their manifest in prior to sailing to follow Coast Guard regulations.

Everyone is right about arriving early. There is no real way to know how long you will wait. I have waited 2 hours and other times walked right on board. We usually arrive around 11. And there will be plenty of people directing you, giving you zone numbers, and helping you along each step of the way. Relax and enjoy. :)

FTTF is one per cabin. My understanding is the manifest is turned in around 230pm. We usually arrive around 1200-1230pm. PC is our favorite port, easy boarding, the lines move right along.

PC is an easy port as many have said...we are arrive early people:) It is similar to an airport IMHO...you will drive up and drop your luggage with a porter...be sure and tip!...and make sure your luggage tags are on the suitcases....then hubby can go park the car while you wait..when he gets back..you just enter the building and you will be guided on what to do from there...

No matter how many cruises we have taken...it's always an exciting time checking in and boarding the ship...love it:):):)