EU VAT Tax question

baytraller

Although Azamara is all inclusive this question may have relevance

Found this link on the Oasis forum

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/iva_tax

We are booked on B2B cruise from Rome to Malaga and Malaga to Malaga

Will this tax apply to tours booked on board and specialty restaurant costs

When we were on the Barcelona to Lisbon cruise last month extra tax was posted as being payable in the Speciality restaurants on the nights we were still in port in Spain (ie when we had 2300 sailaways). I think the nights we sailed at 2000 they got round it by posting the charges later in the evening.

Anyone buying in bars that night (ie items not on the included lists), were also advised by signs and notes in the daily news that the vat would be applied to their charges (I think everyone just drank the included drinks that night!!)

The one area that was not included was the tours. I think they get round it by charging you the cost when they are not "in port". Certainly we booked 2 tours on embarkation whilst still in port in Barcelona and paid no extra

Edited by uktog

It happened to us recently in Bayonne NJ. We were on the Celebrity Summit. We ate at a specialty restaurant Bistro on 5 for lunch the first day. Since we were still docked in NJ, we had the local sales tax 7% added to our check. At first we thought it was odd. Then we realized that it was the local sales tax. Bistro on 5 charges $7pp. 7% of that is not very much. We just laughed it off. I have heard from other cruisers that buying anything while the ship is in a Spanish port adds a tax to the purchase. For example, buy a beverage, use the spa, or book an excursion. Pay the tax. I do not know what other EU countries do this. If anyone knows, please post.

Hello Baytraller,

Your question about EU VAT taxes is new to me. I'll ask the office and revert as soon as I hear.

While I have you on the line though, let me clarify that we are not ALL inclusive.

I don't want you to have false expectations!

Here's what IS included (from the US website):

Select standard spirits, international beers and wines

Gratuities included

Bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas for enjoyment throughout the ship

Suite guests enjoy English butler service

Got laundry? Head to the complimentary self-laundry room (detergent included)

Take advantage of free shuttle service to and from most port communities

Although Azamara is all inclusive this question may have relevance

Found this link on the Oasis forum

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/iva_tax

We are booked on B2B cruise from Rome to Malaga and Malaga to Malaga

Will this tax apply to tours booked on board and specialty restaurant costs

Hi Baytraller,

Turns out there is not a simple answer to your query.

I'm told "VAT changes from cruise-to-cruise depending on where we start, which ports we visit, and what kind of VAT cruise we are on. All variables determine what is taxed and what is not. For most sailings out of a European port, you can expect some sort of VAT will be imposed. It will be clarified once you get onboard."