Shareholder Benefits?

Pocketjem

Just curious:what stocks other than cruising related give extra benefits other than dividends to stockholders? Can you get a free burger if you have MCD? Does DIS give you a discount? Do any of the airlines give a rebate on the cost of your flight. Hasn't RCL outperformed CCL during the last few years? Haven't they increased their dividend?

Edited by Orator

15 night cruise on Reflection for $449pp with $250 shareholder OBC.

15 night cruise on Silhouette for $599pp with $250 shareholder OBC... PLUS $100 OBC from agent.

15 night cruise on Constellation for $609pp with $250 shareholder OBC... PLUS $150 OBC from agent.

Don't stop. :o DON'T STOP :p *D*O*N*T* *S*T*O*P* :eek: :D ;)

Recent stats: Constellation TA Miami to Harwich in late April this year: Fare was $819 (balcony/military rate), OBC from TA was $150, shareholder credit was $200. Bottom line was $39.08 pp/per night, excluding taxes and fees.

Betsy

Like when Harry Met Sally... I'll have what THEY'RE having! :D

Edited by DDCruiser1960

We have a different issue. We booked the reflection fall TA on a well known online agency's Memorial Day special. Got some nice perks. Applied for our shareholder credit and were denied.

That was disappointing, especially when I joined our roll call and found out others had booked the identical special, cabin type, perks, etc and WERE given the shareholder credit! Then I found out the same thing happened to a friend of mine, who was also given the $250 credit. This is just wrong! Either we're all in or we"re all out. Of course I wouldn't throw anyone under the bus but something is not right here.

We have a different issue. We booked the reflection fall TA on a well known online agency's Memorial Day special. Got some nice perks. Applied for our shareholder credit and were denied.

That was disappointing, especially when I joined our roll call and found out others had booked the identical special, cabin type, perks, etc and WERE given the shareholder credit! Then I found out the same thing happened to a friend of mine, who was also given the $250 credit. This is just wrong! Either we're all in or we"re all out. Of course I wouldn't throw anyone under the bus but something is not right here.

I suggest you call the Captains Club and see if they can look and see what might have happened. I didn't get it a couple of years ago, but they were very nice about explaining it to me.

While my last couple of cruises haven't gotten me any OBC from being a S/H, I'm holding onto my stock. It is more than double what I paid, gets a small dividend, and one of these days will come in handy. One of these days, I'll have enough time off to be able to do a TA. Meanwhile. I'll keep scheduling 2 weeks a year in the Caribbean on a Celebrity ship, seeking the best price/perks I can.

Gangplanker, suggest you respond to the email that denied the benefit and ask them to explain the reason for the denial. They will review your request and get back to you within a few days. I'm guessing that your TA booked you with a group fare (which may not be combinable with the shareholder credit), and others booked at the same rate but a different fare class (that may be combinable with the shareholder credit). Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Betsy

Just curious:what stocks other than cruising related give extra benefits other than dividends to stockholders? Can you get a free burger if you have MCD? Does DIS give you a discount? Do any of the airlines give a rebate on the cost of your flight. Hasn't RCL outperformed CCL during the last few years? Haven't they increased their dividend?

So true....but we BOUGHT the stock because they stated you get the perk....but its very restrictive

Im happy we got it a few time

No regrets

:)

15 night cruise on Reflection for $449pp with $250 shareholder OBC.

15 night cruise on Silhouette for $599pp with $250 shareholder OBC... PLUS $100 OBC from agent.

15 night cruise on Constellation for $609pp with $250 shareholder OBC... PLUS $150 OBC from agent.

Don't stop. :o DON'T STOP :p *D*O*N*T* *S*T*O*P* :eek: :D ;)

Will you be my new TA....????

Will you be my new TA....????

No, but I HAVE stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before...:D

Another example of being flexible and grabbing opportunities when available is...

Today is the last day of a "4th of July Sale" at a very-popular-with-Celebrity- cruisers on line site, that is offering the price that WAS, but is NO LONGER available on the Celebrity Web Site.

A 14 night transatlantic on Silhouette to Amsterdam (Apr '15) for $699pp with $200 OBC that IS combinable with the $250 RCL shareholder benefit.

If you are flexible, and have 5-10 minutes of leisure time on the web, 3 times a week, and don't fall for the ridiculous marketing hype, you can very easily cruise Celebrity for $35-$45 per day. ;)

Edited by teecee60

Another example of being flexible and grabbing opportunities when available is...

Today is the last day of a "4th of July Sale" at a very-popular-with-Celebrity- cruisers on line site, that is offering the price that WAS, but is NO LONGER available on the Celebrity Web Site.

A 14 night transatlantic on Silhouette to Amsterdam (Apr '15) for $699pp with $200 OBC that IS combinable with the $250 RCL shareholder benefit.

If you are flexible, and have 5-10 minutes of leisure time on the web, 3 times a week, and don't fall for the ridiculous marketing hype, you can very easily cruise Celebrity for $35-$45 per day. ;)

Same cruise is $1049 for a balcony (free grats +$100 OBC); $1179 for a C3 (free grats+$100 OBC + Specialty dinner $80) They also give "Loyalty $ if you qualify. Since all of the perks come from the TA one should be able to get shareholder credit. Called Celebrity and they said to take it, that they could not come close to the offer. Even spoke to a Supervisor who said the same. I agree that one should take some time and could save money.

yes ... and if i didn't have to WORK .. ;)

someday maybe a transatlantic

we did get a july sale on the above mentioned TA (i think) ... we were happy with the deal ... free drinks, free tips, 225 ship board credit ...

but I'm sure we won't be getting our shareholder credit.

• 2 weeks later...
Or, if you cruise Princess, you can get stock, future cruise credits, and military OBC combined.;)

You are so right. With Carnival Corp stock there is no drama like with RCCL stock.

I bought 100 shares of CC stock back in the fall of 2008 when their price was at almost historic lows. Between the increase in price, quarterly and bonus dividends and OBC, I've not only earned all my money back but also an extra $1,000 above that. And the OBC is combinable with anything else; as a matter of fact, you can combine many perks! Oh, and my dividends aren't taxable because I hold the stock in my IRA. They just go toward purchasing more shares so my profits increase.

I considered buying RCCL stock, but the price is near record highs plus the issue of not being combinable has changed my mind.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Okay, I'm still confused about combinability if we use our Captain's Club 1 category upgrade i.e. pay for a cat 10 inside but get a 9. So I e-mailed Shareholder Benefits and instead of saying yes or no I get this response:

Dear Ms. .........,

Thank you for your email.

Within certain limits, holders of at least 100 shares of Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. Stock (RCL) may request an onboard credit for almost any sailing on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Azamara Club Cruises. (The Celebrity Xpedition is not included in the offer.)

The amount of the onboard credit is based on the number of nights of the sailing as follows. The calculation is based only on the number of cruise nights; nights in hotels or on cruisetours are not included in the calculation.

5 nights or less $50

6 to 9 nights $100

10 to 13 nights $200

14 or more nights $250

The shareholders onboard credit offer is not combinable with any dollars-off offers, other onboard credit offers (including the one for booking onboard), nor certain pricing offers such as interline, charter, or complimentary cruises.

Please visit our investor website (http://www.rclinvestor.com) for further important details, terms, and restrictions.

As every scenario is different, we are unable to tell whether the offer will apply in any hypothetical situation. Please submit a complete request, to include the reservation number, and we will be happy to apply the offer as appropriate.

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

See portion I bolded. How is asking if the benefit is combinable with the Captain's Club 1 category upgrade from an inside 10 to a 9 hypothetical? Is it me?

Okay, I'm still confused about combinability if we use our Captain's Club 1 category upgrade i.e. pay for a cat 10 inside but get a 9. So I e-mailed Shareholder Benefits and instead of saying yes or no I get this response:

See portion I bolded. How is asking if the benefit is combinable with the Captain's Club 1 category upgrade from an inside 10 to a 9 hypothetical? Is it me?

The answer is going to be "no". It's always "no". We just received a note from Celebrity thanking us for going on a recent cruise. It included on OBC usable on our next cruise - of course when I tried to apply the OBC I was told "no" it is essentially not combinable with anything. Very frustrating.

Edited by FUN33

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I apply for it on every cruise and do a happy dance when it's approved but not upset when it isn't. It's just a nice bonus when it comes through.

Here's the quandary. The 1 category upgrade is worth $80 total. The OBC is worth $250. Obviously if I have to choose I want the OBC, but I don't want to have to go back after the cruise is already booked and paid for and re-price it(can you do that and what if cat 9 is more than at that time) to get the Shareholder Benefit. So I just wanted to know BEFORE I booked and paid what to do.

The answer is going to be "no". It's always "no". We just received a note from Celebrity thanking us for going on a recent cruise. It included on OBC usable on our next cruise - of course when I tried to apply the OBC I was told "no" it is essentially not combinable with anything. Very frustrating.

No, the answer is not "always no." I have received the shareholder benefit numerous times. Just never in conjunction with "1-2-3-Go," or "booking-on-board OBC."

Here's the quandary. The 1 category upgrade is worth $80 total. The OBC is worth $250. Obviously if I have to choose I want the OBC, but I don't want to have to go back after the cruise is already booked and paid for and re-price it(can you do that and what if cat 9 is more than at that time) to get the Shareholder Benefit. So I just wanted to know BEFORE I booked and paid what to do.

So why would you even CONSIDER a booking with a benefit of $80, that could jeopardize or negate a benefit of $250?

Edited by teecee60

We have never ever had our stockholder credit combinable with any of our cruises. Not on Royal Caribbean and not on Celebrity or Azamaa. Princess lets us combine all and even gives os extra OBCs for being Elite and being a veteran. That's why we keep coming back to Princess.

HOWEVER; our CCL stock pays a lot less than our RCI stock.

Edited by dorisis

Here's a 3 option shareholder plan, that I feel is very fair :

100 shares - 499 shares, no combining allowed.

500-999 shares, combinable with 1 other offer.

1000+ shares, combinable with all offers - even if you currently have more than 1 offer.

Some people may not realize that whether you own or don't own RCL stock, it does not financially benefit the company. You are buying those shares from someone who owns them and doesn't want them anymore. You are not buying from the company unless it's a follow-on stock offering.

However where RCL can financially benefit from your stock ownership is if you use it to purchase another cruise; thus creating loyalty and revenue.

The key to the shareholder benefit is using a TA that offers OBC that comes from them and not the cruise line. I always ask the TA the origin of the OBC or whether it's a pass through from Celebrity.

As a side note: I own 100 shares. The price jumped over 7.5% early today on earnings report. Whether it holds is anybody's guess. :cool:

I ave no issue with the restrictions on the stock benefit.

Rarely are discounts and benefits "stackable" and "combinable" in most places, one has to pick and choose which discount or coupon to use. You can't go to the grocery store and give then 3 50 cent off coupons for a loaf of bread and have them accept them and give you money back....same theory applies to cruise discounts I feel.

Why I think of the Shareholder benefit as a last resort perk mostly, with the proliferation of 123 promotions.

My Carnival Stock has held steady over time. My RCCL keeps climbing.

I've only had one Celebrity Cruise, but I did get my Stockholders Benefit.

My TA gave me the OBC. And that's why I use her company. I take anything but OBC from Celebrity when offered.

Happy Cruising.