Azamara vs Celebrity

Winters Gate

I am looking to book a cruise in Australia/New Zealand in January 2016, The choice is between a Skysuite on Celebrity Solstice or a Club Continent Suite on Azamara Quest.

The itinerary is similar but the Azamaracruise is a day shorter and slightly more expensive.

We are a couple in the 40s who like peace and quiet and appreciate good food and drink, on which ships would we get the best the Experience?

Edited by Winters Gate

We love the Celebrity sky suites on the S class ships. The aft ones are the best. I don`t care for the ones on Deck 12 as they are under the café and can be quite noisy all hours. Comes with Butler service and other perks. We love Azamara for the great crew and small ship feel. We feel Celebrity and the sky suites are the perfect fit for us.

I am looking to book a cruise in Australia/New Zealand in January 2016, The choice is between a Skysuite on Celebrity Solstice or a Club Continent Suite on Azamara Quest.

The itinerary is similar but the Azamaracruise is a day shorter and slightly more expensive.

We are a couple in the 40s who like peace and quiet and appreciate good food and drink, on which ships would we get the best the Experience?

Hi Winters Gate,

I've sailed both lines. It's not an easy decision, Both brands will provide a wonderful cruise experience. However, both ships and styles are completely different, and so is the onboard experience. Azamara's service gets the nod over Celebrity, mostly due to the 2850 guest capacity on Celebrity, vs nearly 700 guests on Azamara. Celebrity offers far more activities onboard, whereas Azamara is more sedate. Azamara's Suites are very nice, but the S-Class Suites are nicer, as they are newer. Solstice made her debut in 2008.

What's important to note - in April 2015, Celebrity will be adding new amenities for Suite Guests, including a private Main Dining Room, which will reportedly have a significantly upgraded menu. I'm a foodie, so that should be a great enhancement. With that said, my experience with Azamara's cuisine was excellent, though I haven't sailed with them in 3 years. If it were my decision, and the price were fairly close ? I'd probably go with Celebrity... but only if you believe you can enjoy the larger ship experience. Otherwise, I'd easily choose Azamara. The bottom line ? Either way, you can't go wrong.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

there is no doubt that a Sky Suite is nice and newer with huge balcony's. But have you looked at the time in port on each ship? Have you notice if docked or tendered in each port.

I am booked on Azamara as I get more internet minutes per cruise and more free laundry unless that has change on Celebrity.

If you are Elite plus I tihnk it is a toss up on perks but only elite I would say Azamara gives you more.

Not sure if having a special DR is a big deal or not and on Azamara you have the two speciality resturants .

hope this helps.

Have you factored in that your drinks and gratuities are included on Azamara in your pricing calculations.

The butlers on Azamara are of a far higher standard than on Celebrity so if that interests you, that is a consideration. Our last Celebrity trip earlier this year in a a royal suite we had a shocker of a butler, we are low maintenance but he even indicated when we said we might like breakfast on the balcony the next day "oh no, it will be too cold, you'd better go to the dining room"

IMHO the food on Azamara I'd better, if you are ever eating in the evening at the buffet there is no comparison.

We will be having a Celebrity suite experience next year, but only because Azamara does not do Alaska otherwise, if both cruise lines do the area, we prefer Azamara,.

We have sailed Celebrity enough to be Elite and we've now done two sailings with Azamara. Solstice was our first for X as Quest was our first for Azamara. Both ships have special places in our hearts. Asking me to choose which is better is like asking a mother if she prefers one child to the other! They are both very beautiful and serene ships. It's a different experience on both. Quest is smaller and therefore more intimate. It's almost like she's a floating elegant bed & breakfast inn, a boutique experience with flawless service. Solstice is literally four times as large passenger-wise but there's a lawn (a unique feature for X S-class ships) to lay out on, nap and picnic on and it's charming. There's a fascinating glass show under the auspices of the Cornell Museum. You won't see the likes of that anywhere at sea but on a few X ships such as Solstice. http://www.cmog.org/video/hot-glass-show-celebrity-solstice

I don't know what to tell you. We had a very good butler in our suite on a Celebrity transatlantic and the bathroom is lovely. A bathtub is a treat! Others will have to tell you what a suite is like on Azamara--we haven't gotten there yet. ;) Maybe it would do you well to look at the respective websites and see what's offered and what appeals to you. My friend Sandi was on the Journey with us and she missed the solarium pool found on the S class ships as there is no such thing on Azamara ships. I didn't. What I missed on the Solstice was the wide, quiet, and expansive deck 5 promenade. The lifeboats block the view and it's a poor comparison to what you're treated to on Azamara. See? Every ship offers something special and only you will know what appeals to you and what you need to see on the ship you sail. Having said that, both Solstice and Quest offer a wonderful cruise each in their own way.

I have sailed on neither, but will be sailing on the Journey next month.

Are the itineraries really comparable? They may very well be with an Australia-New Zealand cruise. But it seems that with the European cruises, the Azamara cruises compared to Celebrity's are a tad shorter, have fewer sea days, and have longer hours in port.

The tendering statement is not a valid one. We tendered almost every port on the Quest in the Caribbean. When I made the reservations I chose the Quest because it had fewer tenders....actual cruise not true. I had a tough time with seasickensss on the Quest and tendering didn't help the situation. If you read Library Lady's recent review she mentions tendering a lot. I don't remember tendering very much on the larger ships.

The tendering statement is not a valid one. We tendered almost every port on the Quest in the Caribbean. When I made the reservations I chose the Quest because it had fewer tenders....actual cruise not true. I had a tough time with seasickensss on the Quest and tendering didn't help the situation. If you read Library Lady's recent review she mentions tendering a lot. I don't remember tendering very much on the larger ships.

But you have to remember to compare like with like. As an example visiting Split we had to tender with Eclipse, we will dock with Azamara, if you come to our home port on Celebrity you have to tender in and then to a point a train ride from town, Azamara docks beside Royal Yacht Britannia and a short bus trip from town.

It can if course happen that docking becomes tendering enroute, all Captains are at the mercy of the port authorities

UKtog made a very valid point on tenders.. I have tendered and docked in

Monte carlo.. i heard it is a toss up in Croatia. But tendering is better there ans you are right in town. Azaamra docks in he hesrt of Hong Jong<St Peterburg etc.

One reason i belive Celebrity leaves early or has an extra sea day is fro the ship to make money.

So in the end it is the time in ports VS at sea.

I d othink the food is better on Azamara too.

It looks like that Celebrity has five sea days on Azamara's two and Azamara stays longer in ports as well, on the other hand you get to see Hobart Tasmania and Melbourne with Celebrity but not Picton and Napier in NZ.

Azamara staying overnight in both Wellington and Sydney.

Celebrity also has a 12 day cruise equivalent to that of 14 days but without Hobart and with a seaday less, it is also quite a lot cheaper than Azamara, to make a decision just gets harder and harder .......

It looks like that Celebrity has five sea days on Azamara's two and Azamara stays longer in ports as well, on the other hand you get to see Hobart Tasmania and Melbourne with Celebrity but not Picton and Napier in NZ.

Celebrity also has a 12 day cruise equivalent to that of 14 days but without Hobart and with a seaday less, it is also quite a lot cheaper than Azamara, to make a decision just gets harder and harder .......

I have been on several Celebriy cruises and would use them for Alaska but fro the Jan cruise I am on Azamara. i want the overnights and i want to see something of Tasmania as I have not been there.

yes, Celebrity is less but for me the overnights are worth it and Azamara is giving you more time in port and more ports to enjoy. To me that is huge.

main reason for less cost is more peopel to pay for fuel. .Also by more ports more dockage fees. Also in many port in the world we have better docking space than any large ship.

hope this helps

Robin,

Have you ever been on the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand?

We were on the Diamond Princess and we hit 3 terrible storms in the Tasman Sea even missed the fjords in New Zealand. I love Australia and New Zealand but don't plan to ever take another ship between the two....unless maybe it's a mega ship. We also missed most of our day in Hobart...only time to walk around town.

Edited by Granny DI

Granny--what time of year are you talking about? We're looking at Dec 2015 (biggie anniversary) DH insists that we be on board Dec 23, looking at Celebrity Solstice, Diamond & Golden Princess'. Personally, I'd rather wait for AZ in Jan, but that is not going to happen. Diamond is SYD-SYD or AKL-AKL (same cruise just starting at a different place) Golden is MEL-MEL and Celebrity is AKL-SYD and includes Hobart. Any one have a suggestion??

No, I have not been on that sea. But I missed a port in S America due to a storm. Lived on daily drugs in the North Sea. I will survive the weather and take my pills.. I know to stay mid ship also.

I was in OZ and NZ in 2002 and all by plane. loved it!

To Silkismom base on the suites alone I would do Solstice. The size and newest is why.. Also unless the food improved on Princess I would say Celebrity is better.

I really want to see Hobart.

Granny Di- I am trying to base my answers on what i have done or what the OP asked.. I have not been everywhere by plane or ship But my last Celebrity cruise I felt I knew no one-the last Azaamra cruise i met people.

Edited by ellbon

Granny--what time of year are you talking about? We're looking at Dec 2015 (biggie anniversary) DH insists that we be on board Dec 23, looking at Celebrity Solstice, Diamond & Golden Princess'. Personally, I'd rather wait for AZ in Jan, but that is not going to happen. Diamond is SYD-SYD or AKL-AKL (same cruise just starting at a different place) Golden is MEL-MEL and Celebrity is AKL-SYD and includes Hobart. Any one have a suggestion??

The Diamond left Auckland on Jan 23 and arrived in Sydney on Feb 4. I didn't get sick during the storms just frightened and couldn't wait for the rocking to stop. We had a wonderful cruise on the Celebrity Millenium in Oct from Honolulu to Auckland...seas in the South Pacific were like glass...plus we took an upsell of $500 to go from a balcony to the Royal Suite!!! I guess I didn't give a second thought to the Tasman sea as the South Pacific had been so wonderful. I would book the largest ship available in the event you encounter a storm.I was on the Grand Princess during a hurricane off of Greenland in Sept...didn't get sick but was frightened because of the storm in the middle of the icebergs. I was sea sick for 4 days on the Quest in the Caribbean and I was on my meds so wouldn't take anything small on the Tasman Sea again...no storms in the Caribbean just swells. I really don't have a favorite ship or line..I just pick the best itinerary. Next cruise is on HAL which is not one of my favorite lines but itinerary is amazing.

We did the Auckland - Sydney on Solstice last year in Aqua Class and it was amazing. We had a couple of bumpy days and nearly missed Doubtful Sound due to the rough sea to enter it. We knew we were crossing the Tasman (apparenlty one of the top 3 in the world for rough seas).

We did this leaving Auckland on 5th of Jan and the weather throughout was mixed, only tender port was Akora and fortunately we were given priority tendering by the Guest Relations Manager (we weren't Elite at the time) otherwise we might have missed the Mail Run Tour (which I can't recommend highly enough - book through local tourist information office early as it sells out fast).

Would I do this on AZ - not sure could be a bumby ride and that would worry me. Sorry I doubt if this has helped, but what ever you choose I am sure it will be amazing.

If there is not much difference in prices, Azamara is my choice. That is very unusual. Azamara usually costs a lot more than Celebrity. The service on Azamara is very special. celebrity has good service. It dpes not match the service that you get on Azamara. I sail on both lines.Celebrity has more ships and sails to more places. In January I sailed on the Eclipse in the Caribbean and in May I sailed on the Summit to Bermuda. Both are places that Azamara was not doing this year. I am sailing on Azamara in August to a place that Celebrity is not sailing this year. Azamara is special. I enjoy the smaller ships. You will enjoy either line.

I booked the Solstice for Dec 16, we plan to go to Auckland several days early to get our hours changed and see that area of NZ before the ship leaves. I got an aft Aqua class room and the 123Go Beverage pkg. for a decent price under $6000. Of course the air will bump it up to over $10,000--but Larry said it's a one time anniversary.

Ok, we are in the same age range and have cruised Celebrity quite a bit (Sky suite once, Celebrity suite twice, Royal Suite many more times), just returned Monday from a Summit cruise to Bermuda. We have cruised Azamara Quest on a B2B (24 days) in suite 6088 last year and we have viewed a club continent suite.

Our observations: Of the suites you are speaking of, Celebrity will offer more space especially in the bathroom. They will also offer more activities on board and there are more choices. Their port stays are much shorter. The food (which is subjective to each individual's taste) is not as good as Azamara. More people obviously on Celebrity.

Azamara offers a much more laid back atmosphere but offer some unadvertised and unexpected treats along the way, you just never know what will occur. Service is above par throughout ship. ALL gratuities are included in the price. Most alcohol (and all non-alcohol) drinks are included in the price. Food is far superior (in my opinion) on Azamara. LESS people obviously. A much more upscale atmosphere to say the least.

Longer port stays/overnights and seemingly stress free excursions. You will be on the low end of the average age range if that matters to you.

If you are looking for more sea days and shorter port stays and more space, then celebrity is a great choice. If you are itinerary driven and seek a first class cruise experience, then no question azamara hands down would be my choice.

I do not believe you will be disappointed either way.:cool:

Edited by LOP

We did the Solstice last December ....Auckland to Sydney.....Aqua Class. The Aqua Class is similar to the Azamara experience. Nice restaurant, Blu. The are no required formal night when dining in Blu. The service is very good. The food is good and you always have the option to eat in the main dining room if you want to and we did on a few nights due to the menu choices. The ship is much larger than Azamara so you don't get the personal feel....the staff (cruise director, captain, etc) do not great you by name...they don't notice you. You do get big stage shows for entertainment and more of the shopping mall experience and it also takes you longer to get form here to there while aboard the ship. We did not hit any bad weather going through the "sounds" but did have one slightly rocky day....it might have felt worse on a smaller ship. The amount of time the Solstice spent in each port was fine. All in all the Solstice is a beautiful ship.....my husband loves the large ships.....I love Azamara. I don't think you can go wrong with either ship.

Thank you all for your insights. What do you recommend for the various ports. Never too early to plan, although we have several cruises between now and then. From info on CC we upgraded to Aqua class for our TA in April.