Is this line too snooty?

seaman11

I have traveled all around the world and I have cruised many times with RCI. I would like to try this line however I was afraid that it may be too snooty. I am a quiet well educated person that enjoys the finer things, however not so stuffy. Am I worrying for nothing?

I have traveled all around the world and I have cruised many times with RCI. I would like to try this line however I was afraid that it may be too snooty. I am a quiet well educated person that enjoys the finer things, however not so stuffy. Am I worrying for nothing?

No problem with the people, you will love Cunard. It is what Celebrity and RCL used to be. Old fashioned cruising with old fashioned values, but in a new style.

Book and enjoy.:D

Hardly snooty, Carnival has a reputation as a "party" line, think Las Vegas. We have met some wonderful people on the ships. If anything RCL would be too snooty for most Carnival cruisers.

No problem with the people, you will love Cunard. It is what Celebrity and RCL used to be. Old fashioned cruising with old fashioned values, but in a new style.

Book and enjoy.:D

sounds great , much appreciated. I am getting a little fed up with the more and more relaxed style and people cruising with RCL these days.

I'm not sure about snooty but it's certainly more formal than any RCI cruise we've been on. I must admit that we're not Cunard fans and the main reason for that was the attitude of some of the staff and passengers that Cunard is the best and we're lucky to be sailing with them - this was only a small minority, but enough to take the shine off and quite honestly (in my opinion) RCI beats them hands down for food and service, especially in the MDR. When we came back from our Queen Elizabeth cruise in 2011 we said we wouldn't sail with Cunard again, but as I don't fly we will be on QM2 from New York to Southampton using it purely as a form of transport! I really hope that QM2 changes our opinion of Cunard because I hate to rule out any cruise line, especially after just one experience.

Hardly snooty, Carnival has a reputation as a "party" line, think Las Vegas. We have met some wonderful people on the ships. If anything RCL would be too snooty for most Carnival cruisers.

I think you may be a bit confused! I know Cunard is part of Carnival but "party line" and "Las Vegas" don't really sound like a description of Cunard to me lol.

Gill

The mix of passengers on Cunard is no different to any other line, they come from all 'classes", all countries.

The difference is not is the line "snooty" ? Yes, Cunard has some very expensive cabins, that do have different dining rooms, or a lounge - but- ALL the PUBLIC AREAS of the ship , the theatre, Queens Room, Commodore Room, various bars, the pool, spa, gym, etc. are OPEN to all. Unless you deliberately ask, you will not know which type of cabin any other passenger is in.

Dress, day is casual, no torn jeans or ragged tank tops on Cunard, but from your posting I do not think you would wear that type of garment any way. No Cunard does NOT have climbing walls, "hairy chest competitions" greasy pole games, but there is plenty to do, trivia, cards, lectures all different subjects (on my next cruise a retired film star will give talks), films, darts in the pub. a really good library. wine tasting, etc.

Evening, yes there are "formal" nights, for men a tux or dark suit, for women "cocktail dress" sparkly tops and long skirts or chiffon type pants. Informal is jacket for men and slightly less glitz for women than formal. Only first and last are elegantly casual.

You do not have to think in terms of ball gowns, or "tails" but it is true you would not be welcome in the Britannia (the dining room, about 95% of passengers use) wearing jeans and t shirt on a formal night. Cunard is not Norwegian come as you are when you roll out of bed , but it is not 6 star either

Would it be possible to hear a passenger boasting of their "big house/pool/limo", yes, but they would be a minority and you get that type everywhere. It is just a regular mix of people, some very well blessed for money, others like myself have to budget and save to cruise, but as I have said sitting in the Chart Room before dinner, you could not tell which "class" is which.

Please do try Cunard, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain if you fall under the spell , as most of us have done.

Best wishes for your future cruises whatever you decide.

I'm not sure about snooty but it's certainly more formal than any RCI cruise we've been on. I must admit that we're not Cunard fans and the main reason for that was the attitude of some of the staff and passengers that Cunard is the best and we're lucky to be sailing with them - this was only a small minority, but enough to take the shine off and quite honestly (in my opinion) RCI beats them hands down for food and service, especially in the MDR. When we came back from our Queen Elizabeth cruise in 2011 we said we wouldn't sail with Cunard again, but as I don't fly we will be on QM2 from New York to Southampton using it purely as a form of transport! I really hope that QM2 changes our opinion of Cunard because I hate to rule out any cruise line, especially after just one experience.

Gill

Formal is what im looking for as I enjoy dressing up and these days RCI fans seem to be fighting for the right to wear shorts and flip flops in the MDR. Now on the flip side on my last RC cruise I was met with a snooty diamond plus member asking me if i was there to fix the ice machine, because i was in my polo and khakis, So I do not want the full snooty attitude types.

The mix of passengers on Cunard is no different to any other line, they come from all 'classes", all countries.

The difference is not is the line "snooty" ? Yes, Cunard has some very expensive cabins, that do have different dining rooms, or a lounge - but- ALL the PUBLIC AREAS of the ship , the theatre, Queens Room, Commodore Room, various bars, the pool, spa, gym, etc. are OPEN to all. Unless you deliberately ask, you will not know which type of cabin any other passenger is in.

Dress, day is casual, no torn jeans or ragged tank tops on Cunard, but from your posting I do not think you would wear that type of garment any way. No Cunard does NOT have climbing walls, "hairy chest competitions" greasy pole games, but there is plenty to do, trivia, cards, lectures all different subjects (on my next cruise a retired film star will give talks), films, darts in the pub. a really good library. wine tasting, etc.

Evening, yes there are "formal" nights, for men a tux or dark suit, for women "cocktail dress" sparkly tops and long skirts or chiffon type pants. Informal is jacket for men and slightly less glitz for women than formal. Only first and last are elegantly casual.

You do not have to think in terms of ball gowns, or "tails" but it is true you would not be welcome in the Britannia (the dining room, about 95% of passengers use) wearing jeans and t shirt on a formal night. Cunard is not Norwegian come as you are when you roll out of bed , but it is not 6 star either

Would it be possible to hear a passenger boasting of their "big house/pool/limo", yes, but they would be a minority and you get that type everywhere. It is just a regular mix of people, some very well blessed for money, others like myself have to budget and save to cruise, but as I have said sitting in the Chart Room before dinner, you could not tell which "class" is which.

Please do try Cunard, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain if you fall under the spell , as most of us have done.

Best wishes for your future cruises whatever you decide.

thank you for the input, I can assure you dressing up is not an issue for me. I actually enjoy it and I frown upon those that dress too casual for events and dinners.

thank you for the input, I can assure you dressing up is not an issue for me. I actually enjoy it and I frown upon those that dress too casual for events and dinners.

Grab a brochure and read through. As you read you will (as others have said) fall under the spell. Cunard have some excellent deals on offer at the moment.

You, like many cruisers will find your first Cunard as the no going back to RCL or Celebrity moment. It is for old school cruisers, with old school values to just enjoy and just relax. In a word civilised. :D

Wishing you the very best.

Hello,I think there has been some very sensible replies to this thread.Yesterday we booked October 17th cruise on the Queen Elizabeth.This will be our second on this ship and third with Cunard

Of course on cunard you get snobs but not many and of course you just ignore them.

We love the formallity of Cunard everyone knows how to behave and does.

Rodger.

I think you may be a bit confused! I know Cunard is part of Carnival but "party line" and "Las Vegas" don't really sound like a description of Cunard to me lol.

Gill

Just returned from a cruise on RCL Brilliance. My husband and I found the food in the main dining room the worst we have ever had on a cruise. The positive was we both lost weight.

I did a return ta on the QM2 and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. There are snobs on all cruise lines. I find it amusing. There are wealthy people that book inside staterooms and some others that will go into hock to be pretentious. Is constantly telling everyone you meet that you are a Diamond member with RCL being a snob? There sure were a lot of those people.

Cunard has the most interesting and varied passengers of any line I have been on. Have a chuckle at the snobs, we all have the same final destination.

Grab a brochure and read through. As you read you will (as others have said) fall under the spell. Cunard have some excellent deals on offer at the moment.

You, like many cruisers will find your first Cunard as the no going back to RCL or Celebrity moment. It is for old school cruisers, with old school values to just enjoy and just relax. In a word civilised. :D

Wishing you the very best.

that sounds marvelous, I am excited to experience the old ways again.

Hello,I think there has been some very sensible replies to this thread.Yesterday we booked October 17th cruise on the Queen Elizabeth.This will be our second on this ship and third with Cunard

Of course on cunard you get snobs but not many and of course you just ignore them.

We love the formallity of Cunard everyone knows how to behave and does.

Rodger.

Yes thank you, I too enjoy the formalities and manners of old. Now

I'm not sure if I came across snobbery or racism because im a dark skinned italian and I think the Diamond plus member assumed I was part of the working staff even with nice attire on. So there is where I am at an impasse. I so yearn for the old days of manners and class and the formal attire however I do not want the full snobbery or perhaps bigotry that sometimes rares its ugly head.

Edited by seaman11

I haven't encountered any snobbery or racism on Cunard.

How can I say this next part without coming across as snooty? I think there's a bit of self-selection among Cunard passengers - they're not after the cheapest cruise experience and so Cunard passengers tend to be the ones with the inclination and means to pay more for a more elegant experience. As a result the passenger mix tends to be people who have had varied and enriching lives and generally make for good tablemates for a meal or a week of meals regardless of their ethnic heritage or where they grew up.

How can I say this next part without coming across as snooty? I think there's a bit of self-selection among Cunard passengers - they're not after the cheapest cruise experience and so Cunard passengers tend to be the ones with the inclination and means to pay more for a more elegant experience. As a result the passenger mix tends to be people who have had varied and enriching lives and generally make for good tablemates for a meal or a week of meals regardless of their ethnic heritage or where they grew up.

I think I understand what you mean, thank you. I only ask because when you look online at the youtube videos of cunard and princess and queen grille you only tend to see one type they show and that is the country club 1 percent types and it made me pause for a second.

... when you look online at the youtube videos of cunard and princess and queen grille you only tend to see one type they show and that is the country club 1 percent types and it made me pause for a second.
Forget canned youtubes and look instead at the photos and videos by those who post here.

In my post I was referring to Diamond members on Royal Caribbean (RCL) to emphasize how snobs are on all the lines. What was funny is that the majority of passengers were from one state, where at least on Cunard they are from all over the world.

In my post I was referring to Diamond members on Royal Caribbean (RCL) to emphasize how snobs are on all the lines. What was funny is that the majority of passengers were from one state, where at least on Cunard they are from all over the world.

thank you lady, my experience with the diamond member asking me to fix the ice machine was on RCL also. So You are correct they are found all over I suppose.

Maybe you should check out the prices of some other lines (RCI, Celebrity, P&O) and you'll find them not much different from Cunard so I don't think your supposition about cost is correct. I also don't think only people with "the inclination and means" are interesting so for me I'm afraid your comments did sound quite snooty.

Just returned from a cruise on RCL Brilliance. My husband and I found the food in the main dining room the worst we have ever had on a cruise. The positive was we both lost weight.

I did a return ta on the QM2 and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. There are snobs on all cruise lines. I find it amusing. There are wealthy people that book inside staterooms and some others that will go into hock to be pretentious. Is constantly telling everyone you meet that you are a Diamond member with RCL being a snob? There sure were a lot of those people.

Cunard has the most interesting and varied passengers of any line I have been on. Have a chuckle at the snobs, we all have the same final destination.

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience with the food on Brilliance, we've not cruised on that particular ship but have never found any fault with the food on any of our RCI cruises - of course it all comes down to taste and everybody is different. Where we don't differ is a dislike of the "status snobs" - we avoid them like the plague lol. Why do some people think that because they've been lucky enough to take several cruises with a particular line, and thus gained a status, that they have to advertise it? To be honest, I think RCI are the worst for that. We often say that it would be great if we could put together our perfect cruise ship/line taking our favourite bits from all the others.........but we'll leave the status snobs at home :)

Gill

Maybe you should check out the prices of some other lines (RCI, Celebrity, P&O) and you'll find them not much different from Cunard so I don't think your supposition about cost is correct. I also don't think only people with "the inclination and means" are interesting so for me I'm afraid your comments did sound quite snooty.
I wasn't comparing Cunard to Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or P&O. :)

We have cruised on many cruise line, 9 total over past 30 years.

Currently we cruise mostly on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, NCL... we added Cunard about two years ago after going on the Queen Victoria. We enjoyed our TA so much on the QV we booked it again for a 12 night in the Mediterranean six months later.

We were not sure we would like Cunard before we took the TA. Decided to try it for ourselves. Glad we did.

The ship is more formal but not snooty. We found the food and service in the MDR outstanding. My DH is very fussy, he orders off menu every night, no problem on Cunard. We also were impressed with the entertainment on board.

If you like to dress up more for the evening, Cunard is a wonderful experience. Their idea of "casual" is a jacket and no tie, which is okay only on the first and last night of the cruise. This was fine for us. It is wonderful to see other passengers dressed well for dinner every night. Other lines smart casual is slipping more and more to the sloppy side for us. We like the more traditional cruise experience which one gets on Cunard.

Are there passengers who judge other passengers? Scroll to the heading "The People" here and draw your own conclusions.

.. I think there's a bit of self-selection among Cunard passengers - they're not after the cheapest cruise experience and so Cunard passengers tend to be the ones with the inclination and means to pay more for a more elegant experience...

Spot on. It's the primary reason why I get so worked up over the evening dress code: it acts as a filter on passenger behavior.

Spot on. It's the primary reason why I get so worked up over the evening dress code: it acts as a filter on passenger behavior.

I agree, BlueRiband, but unfortunately the filter occasionally allows a green tuxedo to pass through even though the wearer is otherwise well behaved.