Parrot Tree Plantation or South Beach info needed

mitsugirly

I know I tried emailing them once to ask about booking the day pass and that's when they said it was free. I emailed them again and never did get a response.

I just emailed them once more using their contact info on the website and we'll see if I get a response.

I also noticed the following:

US Mailing Address

Parrot Tree Plantation

(RAS 642) 444 Brickle Ave Suite 51

Miami, Florida 33131

Is Parrot Tree's one of those places that they have several of them in different locations around the world?

Is Parrot Tree's one of those places that they have several of them in different locations around the world?

I do not think Parrot Tree is a chain. It is or was owed by John Edwards, a developer on the island, but one of his projects on the island has seen no activity is ages. I have no idea if he is still involved.

They have US contact numbers:

From the US:

1-713-234-1477 (for Reservations)

1-713-491-4540

Here's the response I received today:

Thank you very much for choosing our resort, Please see details below

We provide transportation for clients cruiser for the cost of $ 10.00, per person minimum of person 5

will include transportation, use of facilities (beach, beach chair, beach shower, restrooms, and pool use)

we only need the time of arrival and the port on which cruising line or coming on and date

A taxi will charge at least $ 35 to $ 40 per person

So now they are saying that transportation is $10 which includes the taxi and use of the facility? It doesn't state only 1 way. I find this odd. We also don't have 5 people in our party this time...only 3. I did email back to inquire about only have 3 people. They are usually pretty slow on the responses. :(

Edited by mitsugirly

I wrote the person back that emailed me asking about the cost and if they would just do 3 people, since that's all we have in our party.

He replied:

I will ask my boss

I will let you now

That was 3 days ago and still nothing. I'm just not having very much luck with trying to plan my ports for this cruise. :(

I wrote the person back that emailed me asking about the cost and if they would just do 3 people, since that's all we have in our party.

He replied:

I will ask my boss

I will let you now

That was 3 days ago and still nothing. I'm just not having very much luck with trying to plan my ports for this cruise. :(

Time on the island is far and away different from in the north.

When is your cruise?

Does Parrot Tree have a US phone number?

Course unless you have it in writing.. they may not honor it, a case of the right hand knot knowing what the left is doing.

Here's the response I received today:

Thank you very much for choosing our resort, Please see details below

We provide transportation for clients cruiser for the cost of $ 10.00, per person minimum of person 5

will include transportation, use of facilities (beach, beach chair, beach shower, restrooms, and pool use)

we only need the time of arrival and the port on which cruising line or coming on and date

A taxi will charge at least $ 35 to $ 40 per person

So now they are saying that transportation is $10 which includes the taxi and use of the facility? It doesn't state only 1 way. I find this odd. We also don't have 5 people in our party this time...only 3. I did email back to inquire about only have 3 people. They are usually pretty slow on the responses. :(

Sounds like a typo to me - we were quoted $35pp in a taxi back in 2011 and $30pp through Parrot Tree. I didn't check at the time if this included the facility fee ($10pp at the time) as we decided to go with our private driver to give us flexibility, and know they would wait with us for the day.

Time on the island is far and away different from in the north.

When is your cruise?

Does Parrot Tree have a US phone number?

Course unless you have it in writing.. they may not honor it, a case of the right hand knot knowing what the left is doing.

Our cruise is in November.

I really don't like calling for the reason you stated...I like to have everything in writing and I always take a printed copy with me.

Sounds like a typo to me - we were quoted $35pp in a taxi back in 2011 and $30pp through Parrot Tree. I didn't check at the time if this included the facility fee ($10pp at the time) as we decided to go with our private driver to give us flexibility, and know they would wait with us for the day.

I guess I will have to wait and see if they ever answer. They are very slow with answering any questions. I really wish this was still one of the options to go to as a cruise ship excursion. It was just there a few months ago and now it's gone. It would definitely be less of a hassle at this point just to book with the cruise ship. Sigh :(

• 2 weeks later...

Here was his response after I emailed him another 2 times asking if he got an answer:

Apology for the delay my boss was occupied

I Talk to my boss and he said that it’s ok but it cost is $ 100.00 for the 3 people, includes use of the pool, beach, transport, lunch and non-alcoholic drinks like fruit punch or refill

So now of course I'm asking him why the price for 3 people is now $100 versus before it was only $10 pp, which would only be $50 for 5 people. I would rather pay $50 for the 3 people.

The reply I received back:

The cost of $ 10.00, per person minimum of person 5 include transportation, use of facilities (beach, beach chair, beach shower, restrooms, and pool use)

Please compare

The Cost for the $ 100.00 for the 3 people, includes use of the pool, beach, transport, lunch and non-alcoholic drinks like fruit punch or refill

And yes you can pay for the 2 extra person but it will not include lunch

I ask for a menu since now basically the price has pretty much tripled (if you think about having a family of 3 being $30 or even paying $50 for all 3 with no lunch) I wanted to compare just how much this lunch would cost if I only wanted transportation and order food on my own.

Looking at the menu, they seem to have decent prices ranging on average $6-$10 on items. A hamburger meal-$10 with fries and slaw. Coconut shrimp MEAL $12. Even a full rack of ribs meal $15.

There are additional more expensive items on the menu, but it does state that it's not included in the package.

Looking at the menu and picking out what we would order when there, it would only come to less than $30. So to me, the $100 price just to add the meal is kind of pricey and would even be more at paying the $50 as if we had 5 people in our party and then buying the meals separate. Then of course neither package includes any drinks.

I'm just not sure what to do here. :(

mitsugirly,

If I understand the math.... if you like, offer him fifty for three without lunch. Tell him you will buy lunch separately.. see what that gets ya.

Is your port Mahogany Bay or Coxen Hole?

We port at Coxen Hole with NCL this time around.

My family visited the Parrot Tree Plantation as well a few years ago and wouldn't consider going back. The pool area was nice but there wasn't any bar service there as someone else stated, but we did enjoy the pool. Our biggest issue was the lagoon. It just "looked and smelled" dirty to us. My husband was concerned and noticed a pipe that was going into the lagoon. Honestly have no idea what it was or if it contributed to the odor but it did put a damper on our day. We had a good time in the pool and visiting with each other but beachwise it was not a good option for us. We did order food but can't recall what. I do remember being approached a couple of times about "touring" their property. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I just wanted to give our perspective:)

My family visited the Parrot Tree Plantation as well a few years ago and wouldn't consider going back. The pool area was nice but there wasn't any bar service there as someone else stated, but we did enjoy the pool. Our biggest issue was the lagoon. It just "looked and smelled" dirty to us. My husband was concerned and noticed a pipe that was going into the lagoon. Honestly have no idea what it was or if it contributed to the odor but it did put a damper on our day. We had a good time in the pool and visiting with each other but beachwise it was not a good option for us. We did order food but can't recall what. I do remember being approached a couple of times about "touring" their property. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I just wanted to give our perspective:)

Hmm, see the beach/lagoon area is what I'm most interested in. I really don't care much for the pool area and especially if the pool isn't located somewhere close to the beach. I can get pool time at home, so no need for that.

However, the "smell/dirt" I have seen mentioned a few times here and there while researching while others have stated they didn't notice anything. :(

I do know the communication with these people has been VERY slow, which kinda puts a red flag up to me. Also, the change in the story on pricing and what's included puts up another red flag. Then there's the fact that NCL has decided to take them off their "excursion" list yet throws another red flags. I may just have to pass on this place since it just seems to get more and more complicated.

If I can't find another place suitable, I'll just head back to Little French Key where I KNOW I'll have a great day.

Thanks for your time and input.

We are going to be in Roatan in October as well and can't make up my mind what we are going to do either :confused: Every time I think I've decided something deters me. I'd like to go to Little French Key but have been worried about a few of the reports because there are two Carnival ships in port that day as well. One leaves at 3 pm but I'm not sure whether to chance it or not. I'm thinking I might at this point. We are in port from 10 to 6. Any chance you know what time they stay open until? I was considering the cheapest package without lunch....but it doesn't say anything about the use of non motorized equipment so I'm assuming it doesn't. Not sure if that matters to us or not. Good luck with your decision!

We are going to be in Roatan in October as well and can't make up my mind what we are going to do either :confused: Every time I think I've decided something deters me. I'd like to go to Little French Key but have been worried about a few of the reports because there are two Carnival ships in port that day as well. One leaves at 3 pm but I'm not sure whether to chance it or not. I'm thinking I might at this point. We are in port from 10 to 6. Any chance you know what time they stay open until? I was considering the cheapest package without lunch....but it doesn't say anything about the use of non motorized equipment so I'm assuming it doesn't. Not sure if that matters to us or not. Good luck with your decision!

Just my thoughts and my thoughts only...

Little French Key is absolutely breath taking. There are plenty of places to hang out with 3 beaches and then the rest of the island. The animals are an added addition. I know that people have complained about Carnival now having a contract with them to go there and the island sometimes being crowded on those days, but I can't imagine not ever having a good day there or it being so crowded that there's not someplace to hang out at. I mean even the 2 tier decks have seating and places to hang out at. The place is just awesome and (it's just me) but I would go no matter how many ships are in port that day and would still feel it's worth it. But that's just my opinion of the place.

We really aren't the kind of people that "require" seats everywhere we go. I like to hang out in the water most of the time with my daughter (and snorkel) and the hubby is fine just sitting either in a chair, on the beach or out in the water. We try not to take up any unnecessary chairs since we don't spend a lot of time in them and move around from area to area a lot. But I'm also the kind of person that normally doesn't buy a chair and umbrella at a beach because I'm perfectly happy with just throwing a towel down on the beach. :) So honestly, I would probably never notice if there are chairs available or not nor would I care. But...that's just me. You will never find me being a chair hog. :D

As for the canoes, we were able to use them when we were there and didn't pay any extra. So, I'm not really sure if this has changed or not. We did have the package with the food, but it was the cheapest food package. The canoes were the only thing that was there when we were there that was non-motorized. Their site does mention there's an extra charge for water skis, knee board and floater boards, but no mention of the canoes. So imagine those come with the admission price. Although the $88 package (that includes the food) mentions: Use of all our facilities and all non-motorized equipment such as snorkeling equipment, Kayaks, water beds, water chairs, chaise lounges, etc……where the non-food package doesn't mention any use of these items, so maybe it doesn't.

As for how long they stay open, I would imagine they are open the entire time that a cruise ship is in port. But if your ship leaves at 6pm, I would say that all aboard will be around 5:30pm, which means that you want to be there before that in order to have time to walk through the compound and to the pier. Then you have to plan for how long it takes in transportation to 1) take the boat from LFK back over to Frenchys, then get in a cab to drive back to the pier. So really, you probably would be leaving LFK some time around maybe 4:30ish or sooner?

Little French Key has two web cams on this page. While they do not show the whole of the place I think you can get an idea of the amount of people about. Check the cruise schedule to see how many ships are in port them have a ook at the web cams.

The one thing I would be concerned about is poor snorkeling in the place unless one take a boat to the other side of the reef.. it is on the wind ward side of the island.. the wave will be pushing you in to the rocks.

Thanks for your insight. My husband and son are more of the sitting type and myself and other two kids like to wander so I would most likely be happy there as well. I hate to miss out on something wonderful because of fears of overcrowding. My daughter really wants to see the monkeys as well so that would be a bonus. I'm leaning towards booking LFK's basic package now.

Thanks for the link to the webcams! I'll have to give them a look :)

Hmm, see the beach/lagoon area is what I'm most interested in. I really don't care much for the pool area and especially if the pool isn't located somewhere close to the beach. I can get pool time at home, so no need for that.

However, the "smell/dirt" I have seen mentioned a few times here and there while researching while others have stated they didn't notice anything. :(

I do know the communication with these people has been VERY slow, which kinda puts a red flag up to me. Also, the change in the story on pricing and what's included puts up another red flag. Then there's the fact that NCL has decided to take them off their "excursion" list yet throws another red flags. I may just have to pass on this place since it just seems to get more and more complicated.

If I can't find another place suitable, I'll just head back to Little French Key where I KNOW I'll have a great day.

Thanks for your time and input.

I've read this thread with great interest... We are facing the same dilemmas... In October, we're headed to Roatan for the 6th time - a lot has changed from the first trip :( as in crowds, poor service, poor facilities, etc.

We'd love to find a nice stretch of sand with loungers and some shade. I'm curious why you ruled out Club Natale? It looks pretty interesting to me.

I've read this thread with great interest... We are facing the same dilemmas... In October, we're headed to Roatan for the 6th time - a lot has changed from the first trip :( as in crowds, poor service, poor facilities, etc.

We'd love to find a nice stretch of sand with loungers and some shade. I'm curious why you ruled out Club Natale? It looks pretty interesting to me.

I agree. It does look interesting. I'm really not sure why I didn't continue to research Club Natale. Maybe it was just because I really liked the way Parrot Tree looked in the pictures compared to Club Natale. But since I really don't seem to be getting much of a response from Parrot Tree, I may have to check a little more into Club Natale. I do know that I thought Club Natale was pretty expensive. It does say $75 per adult and $50 for a child. That would mean it would cost up $200 for just us and to me, that's a little expensive. (While I do know that LFK charges $88 for adults and $44 for children, I just feel that this place is so beautiful and amazing that it's worth it). So, I don't know. My quest continues to find a place.... :D

I really don't think I feel like messing with a company (Parrot Tree) that doesn't really take the time to answer your questions and emails "promptly". This kind of makes me wonder what type of service we would receive while there. I emailed them back on the 8th of August and it's now the 19th with no response. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been another 10 days since my last post, so 21 days since I emailed them last with no response. Maybe this is the reason they were dropped from the cruise line excursion??? I am definitely deciding to move on with some place different after this experience. :(

What are you thinking about now?

We're still undecided... I love walking the entire length of the West Bay beach. I think it is one of the best best stretches in the Caribbean! However, I'm not happy right now with choices for day passes or transportation :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What are you thinking about now?

We're still undecided... I love walking the entire length of the West Bay beach. I think it is one of the best best stretches in the Caribbean! However, I'm not happy right now with choices for day passes or transportation :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If I understand this you wish to go to West Bay Beach. What would you like in the way of daypass and transport?