Things that HAL could improve on....

RMLincoln

Check with the front desk and they will assign you to another area inside to report to.

I asked around and even our concierge said no, we had to go outside. I even mentioned I was told there would be am inside location and the all told me there wasn't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I asked around and even our concierge said no, we had to go outside. I even mentioned I was told there would be am inside location and the all told me there wasn't.

Ditto.

Check with the front desk and they will assign you to another area inside to report to.

I asked around and even our concierge said no, we had to go outside. I even mentioned I was told there would be am inside location and the all told me there wasn't. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I found with my scooter the best solution was to be one of the first to arrive and last to leave for the safety drill. By going early I can pick a spot that is comfortable for me (in a shaded area if warm). Much less stress than trying to fit into the crowd.

1. Better merchandise in the shops,
  2. More specialty restaurants. We would love to see space taken from the MDR and converted to specialty dining,
  3. More desserts. We would love to see a la carte items in the Explorations Cafe rather than the complimentary items that are there now. It is mostly the same items that are served in the Neptune Lounge which isn't very appetizing,
  4. Eliminate formal nights,
  5. We also would like to see movies under the stars,
  6. More hands on cooking lessons on sea days.

1. More activities (translates to more staff for the CD)

2. Better service in the MDR (translates to more DR staff)

3. Being able to monitor acct. using self-service kiosk or in-cabin TV

4. Longer Lido hours

5. Bring back Dutch night

I found with my scooter the best solution was to be one of the first to arrive and last to leave for the safety drill. By going early I can pick a spot that is comfortable for me (in a shaded area if warm). Much less stress than trying to fit into the crowd.

Unfortunately we didn't have that option. We'd been on a tour and it got us back just in time to run our stuff back to the room and go to the bathroom.

I sail on HAL for the first time 3 weeks from today. I'm already dreading the Muster Drill!

I have 3 joint replacements & a bad back. Standing for an extended period of time is NOT one of my talents now. I'm considering getting to the right place a soon as possible & snagging a chair from another area, but I suspect that's a big no-no.

We all know that there is certainly a better way to run the Muster Drill; too bad HAL doesn't think so. :(

1) Eliminate formal nights

2) Expand Lido hours

3) Improve Crows Nest entertainment. A jazz combo would be nice.

4) Improve Canaletto quality. Charging more would be OK.

5) On-screen account review.

6) Better salad bar.

7) Better pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they won't let you sit. I've tried using one of the deck chairs. Very hard for those of us that can't stand still for a long time and I believe this is probably about 1/2 of the passengers. Add the hot sun or other bad weather and it is not something I look forward to.

Most all of the ideas are great and would bring HAL back to the Premium cruise line it used to be some years ago. But there's the rub. Cost cutting changed everything, so pricing of cruises would have to go up to bring everything you say you want back, including more crew.

So....who is willing to pay more? Most of those who haven't already left HAL for greener pastures always say to keep prices low. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Wait, they don't scan your key card for Muster?? I don't have issues standing, but jeez. How last century can you get??

They were doing that at one point but that fell by the sidelines. Hal is not known for it's strength in technology.

I'd like to see better service in the MDR. They struggle so much. I don't understand why because they seem to have the same amount of staff as Princess and Princess does a way better job.

Most all of the ideas are great and would bring HAL back to the Premium cruise line it used to be some years ago. But there's the rub. Cost cutting changed everything' date=' so pricing of cruises would have to go up to bring everything you say you want back, including more crew.

So....who is willing to pay more? Most of those who haven't already left HAL for greener pastures always say to keep prices low. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.[/quote']

I'm sorry but this really rubs me the wrong way. Not all of us are getting the cheapie Charlie pricing. I paid $8k for my last 14 day panama cruise. I think that is plenty. If Hal had a better pricing strategy they wouldn't have to give away cruises for $399 to the bargain hunters.

Great thoughts/ideas so far! Especially the Muster drill 1/2 hour of standing needs to go. I have foot issues and standing that long in one place is not fun - even worse when its a hot day out!

DaveOKC

Most all of the ideas are great and would bring HAL back to the Premium cruise line it used to be some years ago. But there's the rub. Cost cutting changed everything' date=' so pricing of cruises would have to go up to bring everything you say you want back, including more crew.

So....who is willing to pay more? Most of those who haven't already left HAL for greener pastures always say to keep prices low. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.[/quote']

I had some of the same thoughts - great ideas, but many end up costing HAL more and HAL's goal is to have passengers spend more.

We have no problem paying for specialty restaurants. The meal and service is very enjoyable and we would definitely do it more if there were more options. Even simply expanding the menu in the Pinnacle would likely get us back there more.

We would also gladly pay for great desserts at the Explorations Cafe. I am talking GREAT desserts that you cannot get anywhere else on the ship. A killer chocolate cake, cheesecake, great apple pie and ice cream. A place where we would skip all meal desserts and make a bee line to the Explorations.

Would love a hand made chocolate store. Would definitely pay for delicious truffles and hand made caramels. A place with great ice cream and gelato would also grab our attention and wallets.

Edited by cbr663

I'm sorry but this really rubs me the wrong way. Not all of us are getting the cheapie Charlie pricing. I paid $8k for my last 14 day panama cruise. I think that is plenty. If Hal had a better pricing strategy they wouldn't have to give away cruises for $399 to the bargain hunters.

I'm just wondering - do you have a better pricing strategy for HAL to consider?

I know you book expensive suites, Cruz chic, as did we. Yes, the Neptune and Penthouse pax are paying plenty and not getting their money's worth anymore. HAL has had to give cabins away to so many which means cuts, cuts, cuts for all. Then they list all the things that they want HAL to provide but refuse to pay for it. I don't think paying premium prices on a mass market line is worth it anymore when there are other real premium option available.

I am quite happy to sail on Holland America. But they could:

1. Serve hot food hot and cold food cold.

2. Add interactive TV screens with dining menus, daily program, billing, etc.

3. Add new ports.

4. Have local beer festivals. Bring a few cases of local beer on board and sell them in a bar or two at a profit.

5. Post the daily program in a few more places.

6. Post menus in more places and certainly at both ends of the Lido.

7. Improve internet speed.

8. Improve vegetarian offerings. Do away with the requirement to order vegetarian meals a day in advance.

9. Position the TV so the remote works without lifting your arm.

10. Change the "As You Wish Dining" slogan to something descriptive.

11. Quit calling one room cabins "suites".

12. Bring back trays to the Lido.

13. Have the cadets or junior officers give a few informal seamanship lectures or demonstrations.

14. Forbid any announcement mentioning spa discounts, shopping, bingo, art auctions, or entertainment. Keep my cruise fare low by selling lots of stuff to others without annoying me.

15. Eliminate formal nights. Rental dinner jackets don't fit me and I don't want to lug a dark suit.

16. Do it all without pricing Holland America out of my range.

I would like to see them get more proactive about non-smoking areas. Especially the verandas. This can be a real irritant to someone who is allergic to smoke.

Maybe they can have opposite sides of the ship designated as smoking and non-smoking. Then we can choose sides:D.

I know you book expensive suites' date=' Cruz chic, as did we. Yes, the Neptune and Penthouse pax are paying plenty and not getting their money's worth anymore. HAL has had to give cabins away to so many which means cuts, cuts, cuts for all. Then they list all the things that they want HAL to provide but refuse to pay for it. I don't think paying premium prices on a mass market line is worth it anymore when there are other real premium option available.[/quote']

Just to clarify I don't generally start purchasing expensive suites but my last few cruises have ended up with those rooms except for last October. I got my last suite thru an upsell but it was still stupid expensive for me as a solo and it just wasn't worth it. Even so, I generally book at least a balcony and that is not really a bargain either. Hal needs to start at a lower starting price, instead of starting out super high and giving it away at the end. It cheapens the experince for the ones that have committed early and paid for that. I book earlier because I need to cement my vacation plans not because I want a certain room.

I would like to see them get more proactive about non-smoking areas. Especially the verandas. This can be a real irritant to someone who is allergic to smoke.

Maybe they can have opposite sides of the ship designated as smoking and non-smoking. Then we can choose sides:D.

Agree with that. Be prepared to take a bullet for that thought. I've had some very nasty things said to me/about me for daring to take that stance.

The two things I would really like to see improved are the taste of the coffee in the lido and the dress policy.

To me, going on a cruise is not like going on a camping trip. I like sophistication. I am not particularly fond of printed T-shirts and old jeans. I would like to see the dress code not only enforced but also significantly tightened.

I would like there to be far more formal nights and the remaining nights be what was previously called semi-formal. I would love to eliminate the entire concept of “casual dress” in the MDR for dinner or the public areas of the ship in the evenings.

I believe there is little chance of this happening, but it is what I would like.

Scott & Karen

I have only ever been on Princess and to be honest I don't remember the Muster Drill. So obviously it wasn't bad or stressful or I would remember it.

Can someone tell me what makes HAL's different and all the talk is about???

Thanks!

The two things I would really like to see improved are the taste of the coffee in the lido and the dress policy.

To me, going on a cruise is not like going on a camping trip. I like sophistication. I am not particularly fond of printed T-shirts and old jeans. I would like to see the dress code not only enforced but also significantly tightened.

I would like there to be far more formal nights and the remaining nights be what was previously called semi-formal. I would love to eliminate the entire concept of “casual dress” in the MDR for dinner or the public areas of the ship in the evenings.

I believe there is little chance of this happening, but it is what I would like.

Scott & Karen

Totally agree about the coffee. (If you can call it coffee).

Disagree with eliminating casual dress in the public areas. We don't travel with "formal clothes" but don't attempt to enter the MDR on formal nights. Our cruises are always a small part of up to 10 weeks travel. We will not be bringing formal clothes for 2 nights. Do you want to confine us to our cabin at night.

PS. Our casual clothes are not flip flops and shorts, but neat and tidy casual clothing.

I have only ever been on Princess and to be honest I don't remember the Muster Drill. So obviously it wasn't bad or stressful or I would remember it.

Can someone tell me what makes HAL's different and all the talk is about???

Thanks!

On Princess it's indoors and you are sitting. On Hal you are standing, cramped tight and standing.