Is Long Beach Port the same as LA Port?

Cathy Maneri

I'm looking at a Princess cruise that goes out of Los Angeles, is their port the Long Beach/San Pedro port?

When you see a cruise departing Los Angeles does this really mean Long Beach/San Pedro.

Is there a port in Los Angeles also?

I've cruised out of Long Beach/San Pedro many years ago when Celebrity and loved Long Beach.

I'm hoping Princess is calling it's Los Angeles really the Long Beach/San Pedro port.

Please help with clarifying.

It's confusing - admittedly, but since Los Angeles is host to a number of cruise lines, two docking facilities are used.

1. Normally called San Pedro but it is properly known as "The Port of Los Angeles", and geographically is not within the boundary of Los Angeles city. It docks most cruise lines, as well as being home to the USS Iowa.

2. To the south by a few miles, is the Port of Long Beach, home to Carnival Cruises, as well as the Queen Mary.

However, since you are cruising on Princess, you will go to the San Pedro docks to board....

Have a great cruise!

And to make matters more confusing---

On rare occasion Carnival will use San Pedro and other CCL cruiselines will (rarely) use Long Beach as a mid-cruise port stop. Princess has been doing so on some of it's Coastal Cruises.

Edited by SadieN

Normally called San Pedro but it is properly known as "The Port of Los Angeles", and geographically is not within the boundary of Los Angeles city.

Untrue. The entire community of San Pedro along with the port facilities are within LA City boundaries and jurisdiction. Look at a map showing LA city boundaries; a "neck" extends to the south roughly along the 110 Freeway. This dates back to 1909 when the City of LA annexed San Pedro.

It's confusing - admittedly, but since Los Angeles is host to a number of cruise lines, two docking facilities are used.

1. Normally called San Pedro but it is properly known as "The Port of Los Angeles", and geographically is not within the boundary of Los Angeles city. It docks most cruise lines, as well as being home to the USS Iowa.

2. To the south by a few miles, is the Port of Long Beach, home to Carnival Cruises, as well as the Queen Mary.

However, since you are cruising on Princess, you will go to the San Pedro docks to board....

Have a great cruise!

Rickey....I understand it now thanks for making it very clear.

I like Long Beach, stayed there twice before a cruise. I find it an easier airport to fly into from Miami, Florida.

Happy Cruising!

Rickey....I understand it now thanks for making it very clear.

I like Long Beach, stayed there twice before a cruise. I find it an easier airport to fly into from Miami, Florida.

Happy Cruising!

Long Beach Airport is the closest airport to both Long Beach and San Pedro.

Untrue. The entire community of San Pedro along with the port facilities are within LA City boundaries and jurisdiction. Look at a map showing LA city boundaries; a "neck" extends to the south roughly along the 110 Freeway. This dates back to 1909 when the City of LA annexed San Pedro.

Exactly. BruinSteve has often posted the history of San Pedro, which tried to secede from the City of Los Angeles about 12 years ago (at the same time as Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley, which both got on the ballot, but didn't get their referendums to pass).

Here's the lowdown:

These are two different ports that are pretty close to each other. The Port of Los Angeles in the community of San Pedro. The area with the cruiseline terminals is called the World Cruise Center. There are three main berths (rarely does a ship leave from one of the berths south of there).

Usually most of the cruiselines that leave from LA/LB will use LA.

The Port of Long Beach has one berth. Carnival start using the port sometime after 2002 (I know this because that year we took our last cruise on Carnival in June 2002 and that was from San Pedro). Usually just about every cruise ship that sails from there is a Carnival ship, and just about every Carnival ship that sails from LA/LB leaves from LB.

Here's the cruise ship calendar for the Los Angeles port:

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/cruiscal.htm

And for the Long Beach port:

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/lbcruiscal.htm (yes, this is on the Port of LA website)

It doesn't help when a travel agent or even the cruise lines don't make this clear. It also doesn't help when a cruise line uses LAX to refer to the LA port.

As for places to stay, many people on CC recommend the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. They shuttle you over to the port on the morning of your cruise and are in decent areas. Some of the SP hotels might be in the industrial part of SP.

LAX hotels are in the airport area -- which is not a decent area. Only recommended by us local Angelenos if you have an early morning flight the next day.

You can also stay in Long Beach for either port. But there are nice areas of LB and some very industrial areas. Best to find out which hotels are where (back to BruinSteve who has posted several times some recommendations).

No matter where you are staying, make sure you tell your driver which port you're going to (San Pedro or Long Beach).

I'm looking at a Princess cruise that goes out of Los Angeles, is their port the Long Beach/San Pedro port?

When you see a cruise departing Los Angeles does this really mean Long Beach/San Pedro.

Is there a port in Los Angeles also?

I've cruised out of Long Beach/San Pedro many years ago when Celebrity and loved Long Beach.

I'm hoping Princess is calling it's Los Angeles really the Long Beach/San Pedro port.

Please help with clarifying.

More than likely it will be San Pedro. If you give me the name of ship and date I can easily confirm that on the calendar for you.

That way you will know for sure.

Keith

Ok, where does Holland America park their ships in San Diego? Dock their ships i should say! Is it near the old Queen Mary?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Queen Mary is permenantly docked in Long Beach.

San Diego is a good two hour drive south of Long Beach on a good day.

San Diego has it's own cruiseport next to the San Diego airport (SAN). Most use the old pier has the new pier (next door) has issues.

Edited by SadieN

Basically:

there's a Port of San Diego

there's a Port of Long Beach, which happens to be a few miles away from

the Port of Los Angeles

there's a Port of San Francisco

there's a Port of Seattle -- which has at least a couple (at least ten years ago, but another one was built in the meantime) terminals for cruiseships.

the Port of LA,which is located in San Pedro, a community inside the City of Los Angeles, has three regular berths (as well as one or two just south of there, if needed), but you don't need the exact berth number when booking land transportation -- just the name of the ship, as there's a sign that's near the entrance that will list all the ship there and which berth numbers

But if sailing from the Port of Seattle, you'll want the number of the terminal as you might end up a few miles away from your ship.

Ok, where does Holland America park their ships in San Diego? Dock their ships i should say! Is it near the old Queen Mary?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Holland America must have some mighty big ships to dock in San Diego and still have part of the ship near the Queen Mary :D

Where is the Volendam on the 27th of Sept. docking?

The reason I am repeating this question is neither cruise calendar lists the above cruise and we are on it. Our documents will tell us eventually when we get them, but in the meantime I am wondering wish one we will board the ship. Thank you.,

Edited by boards

The reason I am repeating this question is neither cruise calendar lists the above cruise and we are on it. Our documents will tell us eventually when we get them, but in the meantime I am wondering wish one we will board the ship. Thank you.,

It took me a while but I looked up your cruise itinerary and the embarkation port says "Los Angeles, California". This means San Pedro, which is home to Holland America ships. I see that you would be concerned, as it does not show on the San Pedro Calendar, you're correct.

Nice cruise, by the way. How many nights is your leg?

Hi Boards, I asked HAL by e-mail where Volendam was going to berth on 27 September and they replied Long Beach (Carnival)Port John

Hi Boards, I asked HAL by e-mail where Volendam was going to berth on 27 September and they replied Long Beach (Carnival)Port John

I would think the Holland website would then say Long Beach or Los Angeles (Long Beach) so that's strange. Plus on September 27, only the Crown Princess is listed, for berth 93. So unless there's some construction going on with the other two berths right there, it would seem weird for the Holland to be at the Long Beach berth. Just sayin'.

I would think the Holland website would then say Long Beach or Los Angeles (Long Beach) so that's strange. Plus on September 27' date=' only the Crown Princess is listed, for berth 93. So unless there's some construction going on with the other two berths right there, it would seem weird for the Holland to be at the Long Beach berth. Just sayin'.[/quote']

There is no mention of the Volendam on the Port of Long Beach calendar either.

but...

The Volendam is doing a one way and no Carnival ships are using Long Beach on that date.

The 3 & 4 day cruises are Sunday, Monday and Thursday, Friday. Miracle will be in Hawaii.

Boards-- Many will stay at the Hotel Maya. It is within walking distance (they also have a shuttle) of the Dome. Others will stay at the Queen Mary (5 steps from the Dome) but you have to have an apprecuation of how things used to be.

Somewhere on the board is a corporate code for the Maya.

Also there the free bus (Passport) will take you to shops and restaurants. Parts of the route go to a dicey area but it's OK during the day.

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

If you get in the day before the Aquarium of the Pacific is makes a very nice day. It's on the Passport bus route.

www.aquariumofpacific.org

Edited by SadieN

Cruise TT shows the Volendam docking in the same port with the Crown Princess.

Since your cruise ends in Los Angeles, then it will dock at the World Cruise Center, which is in San Pedro.

If Los Angeles is a stop during the cruise, then it could either dock at San Pedro, or Long Beach (as long as Carnival isn't there).

Actually the cruise begins in Vancouver, BC and stops in LA and a 21 day segment begins, then on Oct. 19 a 34 day begins. I wish I could be on the whole cruise, but alas, it cannot be.

Have a great cruise!

I don't understand how people can give so much misinformation.

The port of Los Angeles is within the city limits of Los Angeles. San Pedro is NOT a city, but an area within the city of Los Angeles.

http://www.graphatlas.com/los_angeles_map_city_communities.png

Edited by Donray