What's the Next Best Thing?

Shawnino

What line is most similar to Cunard, minus the requirement of fancy dress?

I would like to live a similar experience. Physical infirmities (misshapen limbs and so forth) restrict me to the most casual of clothes and custom-made (and horribly garish) footwear. I'm neither interested in drawing more confused stares than usual nor ruining someone else's vacation by parading about a proper dining room with gym pants and without jacket.

Cheers,

S

I am too inexperienced to speak to what line is comparable. In my (very) limited experience if you are choosing between Celebrity and Carnival over Cunard, choose Celebrity. We found Carnival rather tacky.

But I do feel I can speak to the sartorial issues.

If gym pants are what you are able to wear then I can not see why a pair of nice black gym pants, with a hemmed bottom rather than an elastic cuff, paired with a white turtleneck and a black vest or a black sweater would offend ANYONE!! It occurs to me, if you would be comfortable, then a soft jacket in the "Smoking Style" in black could provide a more forgiving fit than a jacket usually would, and add a touch of formality to your wardrobe.

Clearly when one faces physical limitations then exceptions must naturally be made to accommodate.

Edited by sarafinadh

I'm reluctant to pipe up here because your situation is beyond my experience and so it seems presumptuous of me to offer you advice. However, Sara is right; you should dress as you must to be able to get around comfortably, but dress mostly in black on formal nights and you will be fine. Go Cunard, Shawnino, and enjoy the special formality there just like the rest of us.

Bon voyage, Paul

I'm reluctant to pipe up here because your situation is beyond my experience and so it seems presumptuous of me to offer you advice. However, Sara is right; you should dress as you must to be able to get around comfortably, but dress mostly in black on formal nights and you will be fine. Go Cunard, Shawnino, and enjoy the special formality there just like the rest of us.

Bon voyage, Paul

I agree. Add something sparkly and you are good to go.

Thank you all very much for the useful and gracious replies.

If I go, I hope there are a couple thousand of people like you aboard.

You are most welcome and at last count we were 2620 on Queen Mary 2, so welcome aboard and not to worry. And in the unlikely event you encounter an ill-bred idiot, I'm sure you know where best to apply your garish footwear.

Oh, my goodness! While you certainly get high marks for your concern over Cunard dress code compliance, I have to agree with everyone else--please, just get creative with your attire so that it both meets your needs and allows you to enjoy the line you prefer! As has been mentioned, black is the time-honored disguiser of all things and "dresser upper," plus, when you key your travel wardrobe off one color, your luggage is a lot lighter, and deciding what to wear is a snap! If you are still a bit self-conscious, another old trick is to draw attention away from your "problem area" and direct it to your assets, i.e., whether you are male or female, consider playing around with a few smashing accessories for your neck or upper body--eyes will be drawn to and friendly conversations will be initiated over a striking neck or pocket scarf, necklace or lapel pin, etc.

Bon voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you're a man (hard to tell with your user name) be aware that I have seen a man in an electric wheelchair turned away from Britannia for not being in a jacket. This was during a Noro outbreak in which the captain was imploring people not to eat in the buffet. For men there are not many options other than wearing a jacket or eating dinner in Kings Court/Lido.

It is hard to tell if you are male or female from your name. However either way I feel there are ways you can "dress" according to code within the limits of your disabilities.

I too have misshapen legs, even around the house I cover them by wearing a full length caftan. I wear flat sandals (regular sole thickness) but in colours to complement my dress. My evening wear is always down to the floor, to cover my legs and the fact that I am wearing sandals. I wear all my "bling " up near my face, (necklace, fancy stole and bag)

For travel or at home going out to lunch I wear wide leg pants, fancy top, etc and again sandals to match colour of pants. Sometimes I have to use a wheelchair, but always dress to look "put together "

For my upcoming cruise of 22 days, I will be taking 7 dresses for evening, but 20 stoles, 10 evening bags. For days 4 full length caftans and4 complementing "slinky" jackets., each dress to be worn in rotation. I will also have a black pants suit, for wearing ashore to lunch.

None of this will help is you are male of course, but long pants of any kind will cover your legs, and you could invest in one really good pair of shoes that are "exercise wear", upper body wear is easy as regards shirt, jacket ,tie etc.

Once again, thank you for your replies. They are kind and helpful.

Underwatr's observation is disconcerting, and from what I've read on this board I don't think I'll choose to make a habit of dining in King's Court. If such events are rare, then in the end all of us pyes our money and tykes our chances whenever we travel--no matter how many useful limbs we own.

I'm male (Shawn) and as a boy I was a footballer in the Spanish youth system. The nickname stuck. Medical accident in puberty caused partial paralysis and deformity so I am going through the world's longest Awkward Period. I move slowly but readers of the Antarctica/Lindblad boards know I don't mind meandering about penguin colonies in the Southern Ocean.

I thank you for the fashion advice--usable not only on Cunard Line but perhaps in everyday life. I have spent thirty years avoiding formal occasions.

I shall now start to plan a trip aboard a Cunard vessel. I live in a port of call (Halifax) and I watch the ships sail past my living room window on the harbour. I'm somehow eager to stand on the deck of one of these majestic creations and wave at my place as I float away.

Underwatr's observation is disconcerting, and from what I've read on this board I don't think I'll choose to make a habit of dining in King's Court. If such events are rare, then in the end all of us pyes our money and tykes our chances whenever we travel--no matter how many useful limbs we own.

I'm male (Shawn) and as a boy I was a footballer in the Spanish youth system. The nickname stuck. Medical accident in puberty caused partial paralysis and deformity so I am going through the world's longest Awkward Period. I move slowly but readers of the Antarctica/Lindblad boards know I don't mind meandering about penguin colonies in the Southern Ocean.

I thank you for the fashion advice--usable not only on Cunard Line but perhaps in everyday life. I have spent thirty years avoiding formal occasions.

I shall now start to plan a trip aboard a Cunard vessel. I live in a port of call (Halifax) and I watch the ships sail past my living room window on the harbour. I'm somehow eager to stand on the deck of one of these majestic creations and wave at my place as I float away.

Good, I hope that you do. It is an excellent experience and whilst I can't offer any penguins, I have seen nuns on board. :)

... I live in a port of call (Halifax) and I watch the ships sail past my living room window on the harbour. I'm somehow eager to stand on the deck of one of these majestic creations and wave at my place as I float away.
Shawn, at least two of us here will be on QM2 in Halifax on August 29. Don't forget to wave and tell us in which direction we should wave back.

Paul

Paul--

Halifax side of the harbour. :) If I can assist in making arrangements for your day in port, please get in touch.

S

Ok, that narrows it down, I can wave 180 degrees easy. Thanks for your offer, but we haven't made any plans for the day and probably won't until we arrive. This will be our fourth visit to Halifax on QM2. I'll always remember the fog on our first trip in July, 2009; as the tour guide pointed out, the view of the fog from the Citadel surpasses the view of the fog from anywhere else in Halifax.

Paul

I do hope you find a booking that suits you! Halifax is a great port - we will be there on QM2 next July, maybe you will be on board too :)

Paul is right, we can both wave to you ; -)

What I really want to know is where is the best place to get lobster right out of the pot with hot drawn butter?

And what is your favorite special meal restaurant?

Because as fond is I am of clothing , FOOD is what really matters!!

Sara

Shawnino, We sailed into Halifax last year on probably the most perfect day imaginable.....after several foggy ports. What a pleasure to walk that beautiful boardwalk. We are hoping to do the Canada/NE trip again this year.

My husband, on an 18 day TA to Southampton, and back to NY on the QM2, had a severe leg issue....he couldn't wear his normal shoes and finally it came down to just wearing sandals....and people would understand. As has been said, footwear is what you need it to be. Period. Enhancing our best quailities is what we all do. Nice people to meet on board is a given and you will enjoy your trip just as we have every time.

Have fun planning. :)

Sorry, I forgot to sign in. Brigittetom

Edited by CruznTom

Shawn, I hope you won't deprive Cunard passengers of the pleasure of your company. If wearing a jacket is problematic due to physical difficulties, may I suggest you consult a seamstress about using velcro to secure the necessary seams in the jacket - it should be possible to slip it on and off without pain or distress. I hope I explained the process fairly clearly - it is a tailoring technique that should be especially familiar to those who make clothes for wounded veterans and super heroes:)

BTW, kudos to your City for creating such a beautiful, welcoming port. I hope we don't create too much bother when visiting. Regards, Salacia

Edited by Salacia

We shared a table with a gentleman and his wife a couple of years ago on P&O. He had motor neuron disease and was paralized from the neck down. He wore a shirt, bow tie and some sort of trousers to dinner on formal nights. Considering his circumstances, his wife did very well to get him looking so good. He was a great table mate with a good sense of humour and a pleasure to share a table with. Nobody would have bothered if he had been even less dressed. Go for it!

Edited by caber

Thank you one and all for the kind wishes.

CruznTom, my condo is on that boardwalk, past Bicycle Thief (one restaurant I actually wouldn't recommend). It is so exciting to me that Cunard sails in parallel universes, for if Halifax was the least foggy port on your voyage, I'm willing to bet you weren't sailing in this universe. Some days the visibility on the ground is less than fifty feet. In all seriousness, I'm glad you had a brilliant day in port. Many days are more dreary.

Sara, McKelvies for lobster. For special meals, if the party is (mostly) in the mood for fish, The Five Fishermen is outstanding. If (mostly) in the mood for not-fish, Cut Steakhouse. Each does the other well, but the establishments' names properly describe focus.

And now I must prosletyse. We are likely praying to the same God, but many of us Maritimers, especially where I grew up, prefer our lobster ... cold. I know the wider world does it the other way but there I feel better for saying it. :)

Times are different now, but as a child my grandmother was a tortured soul because lobster was her favourite food. Her parents would endeavour to get her some when they could, but she was never allowed to take it to school and it was never served to guests. Lobster, in the 20s and 30s, was quite simply food for poor people. My grandmother's family were simple farmers who had little, but her parents wouldn't be associated with lobster lest people then thought they had nothing at all. As an older teen and in her 20s, my grandmother ate what she liked, in public no less, and brought some measure of shame on the household for it. At least she ate it cold. Otherwise she might have died a spinster and I wouldn't be here.

Cold lobster is indeed a huge treat.....only when we are lucky to have a lobster big enough to have leftovers....do we get to indulge. :). I have a friend who tells the same story. Lobster in the school lunches was what the less fortunate brought. Give me the good old days. :D

Thanks for telling us about McKelvies, Shawn. Sounds like just the place for my wife and me to have lobster rolls for lunch on Friday, August 29.

And blessed be your grandmother for living and passing along that charming history of lobster socio-economic lore.

It quite strange how customs and tastes have changed. On board we ask for (dare I say "demand") shrimps, lobster, fish and chips (a la Golden lion) , yet the Pilgrims who landed in that which is now Plymouth MA, starved because though the bounty of the sea was available they were used to beer, bread and meat .

As a child I lived in a slum (dockland area of East End London ) the food I considered treats then would today give rise to shudders and comments of "how gross" and even "I would not eat that I would rather starve"!

Let me say without any doubt -when you are hungry you eat anything you can get.

Yes it is true, - today I am one of those who criticize the cooking in the Britannia - as I said customs and tastes change.