Senior Citizen rates on airlines

gracecarmo

We usually fly Southwest, using their senior rate. My complaint was that you could not print out your boarding pass ahead of time, but had to wait until the airport and go to the desk. By then, all the A and mostly B passes have been given out to those that did on-line check in (like right after midnight, to get an "A" line pass!).

Now, they have come up with a system called "Proof of age". You have to submit a copy of your driver's licence or passport prior, and then you are in their system for pre check in.

Has anyone done this?

I hope this stays on the board, my last question was moved to a place unknown!

Grace

• 2 weeks later...

:confused: Grace, I went looking for your other thread, thinking it might be under "Cruise Air", but didn't see it. I did see another post from you there, though. I checked several places for you, but ...... sorry.

It would be nice if, when the threads are "moved", if the hosts could maybe indicate where it has been moved TO.:)

Is there any sort of guide as to what age qualifies for Sr. Citizen rates? Does it vary by carrier? I’ve seen some local establishments get it down to 60, but doubt air carriers do that. Are the guidelines published anyplace?

Thanks,

Terry

Is there any sort of guide as to what age qualifies for Sr. Citizen rates? Does it vary by carrier? I’ve seen some local establishments get it down to 60' date=' but doubt air carriers do that. Are the guidelines published anyplace?

Thanks,

Terry[/quote']

If you find one, let us all know:D ! I have seen "senior" rates offered starting at 50, and some places as high as 70 (this was at a ski resort). I believe it's totally up to the individual company to decide.

You really have to watch however. When I book hotels, I use the internet and always check AARP/Senior rates against any other rate that may be offered. In most cases I can beat the AARP rate which is really too bad. They are always advertising all these discounts we are supposed to get, but from what I have been able to find, it isn't worth it. In almost every instance, be it traveling, various types of insurance, etc. that they offer discounts on, I have been able to find cheaper prices. Kind of makes me wonder why I even keep my membership.

Cheers!

I agree -- when I book hotels, I check all the rates, and senior rate is invariably higher. It makes me angry because I think they are trying to take advantage of those seniors who just assume that the senior rate will be lower, and book it without checking, further. .

• 1 month later...
We usually fly Southwest, using their senior rate. My complaint was that you could not print out your boarding pass ahead of time, but had to wait until the airport and go to the desk. By then, all the A and mostly B passes have been given out to those that did on-line check in (like right after midnight, to get an "A" line pass!).

Now, they have come up with a system called "Proof of age". You have to submit a copy of your driver's licence or passport prior, and then you are in their system for pre check in.

Has anyone done this?

I hope this stays on the board, my last question was moved to a place unknown!

Grace

Grace, here is one that was moved to the "Ask a Cruise Question" board---> Cruise Critic Message Boards - Airport transfers: easiest way

• 3 weeks later...

i joined silver wings plus about 7 years ago. it was $275 lifetime membership. they charge by "zone" for tix. i live in a small town with only one airline (united), so for me it';s great. our regular fare's are very expensive. even when there is a "sale" from here the flight's are at ungodly hours. for $409 (last year was $352) i can go coast to coast and back. but if you live near a major airport i don't think it would pay. you can take any airline and look for sales.

I like Southwest senior tickets because flights can be changed without charge and they can be refunded. I see now that you can get boarding passes online 24 hours before flight time. I think that they still use groups rather than seat selections, so getting the boarding passes early gets you into the early group.

• 1 month later...

The biggest advantage to the Senior rate at Southwest is that it is much cheaper at the last minute. Sometimes I book my parents using the internet or ding special and sometimes the Senior rate. Last year at Christmas they needed to leave earlier than planned and the senior rate was a huge savings.

• 1 year later...

I would be very careful before you pay to join the Silverwingsplus program. Although it can sometimes be a good deal, that is not always the case when you compare it to discount fares. As an example, the SilverWingsPlus rountrip fare from the East Coast to Hawaii (a major route for United) is $1284. Other airlines offer the same route (using Philadelphia as an example) for as low as $777 and even United offers the same route for $1019. It might be a good deal for those that live far from major airports, but when you factor in competition from major airports I have my doubts.

Hank

Archived