What happens if you have to leave the ship?

My sister's dog was gravely ill and she found out after she boarded the ship that her dog had cancer and probably needed to be put down. My sister still had another 20 days of cruise/land travel and her insurance didn't cover her if she left the ship.

Is there any insurance out there that will reimburse passengers if they have to fly home before the end of the cruise? I know there is medical situations and situations where sick family is involved. Is there just an insurance that allows you to disembark for any reason and have the vacation cost reimbursed?

My sister's dog was gravely ill and she found out after she boarded the ship that her dog had cancer and probably needed to be put down. My sister still had another 20 days of cruise/land travel and her insurance didn't cover her if she left the ship.

Is there any insurance out there that will reimburse passengers if they have to fly home before the end of the cruise? I know there is medical situations and situations where sick family is involved. Is there just an insurance that allows you to disembark for any reason and have the vacation cost reimbursed?

I believe there is but it has to be bought around the same time you book the cruise. Your sisters TA will know the answer for sure...

The only insurance I am aware of that covers you once you start your vacation (cruise in this case), is for medical reasons. For example, there is insurance that would cover emergency medical evacuation (if warrented) from the ship. Or if you had to be dropped off at the next port to go to a hospital and miss the rest of your cruise, flights home from that port.

You can check but I don't think cancel for any reason works once you are on board. If it did folks would wait until the last port and cancel.

there is a policy that will cover for any reason and you can leave partially thru but if you do you are reimbursed on a pro-rata basis. It is also very, very expensive.

Thank you for your help. She has other pets and I was wondering if there was any policy that would cover this type of emergency. As you know, people feel that pets are family and no one wants a stranger to have to put a beloved pet down. Sad situation but hopefully she won't have one like this in the future.

Pretty much as others said, you would need to purchase a policy that would cover you for such occurrences when booking the cruise. However I don't think the loss of a pet, even with such coverage, would be grounds for a refund.

Are there any "cancel for any reason even after the cruise has started policies"? Doubtful. Otherwise we would have seen many more reports of same "I didn't like my stateroom so after one day I decided to go home" "I missed my kids so I decided to go home" etc etc

Some insurance policies include "trip interruptions" like when a family member got gravely ill back home, but no policy will cover pets as "family" even though we think they are. And it will only cover the costs to travel home and any trips that have not yet started, I believe.

Edited by toras