Oasis Upgrade Question

I booked a standard room with ocean view balcony in late July. If I wait to the last minute and they have a junior suite still available, would they give some type of discount for the upgrade?

Thanks!!!!!

[quote name='fwman']I booked a standard room with ocean view balcony in late July. If I wait to the last minute and they have a junior suite still available, would they give some type of discount for the upgrade?

Thanks!!!!![/quote]

Typically anything can happen! Since July isn't as popular as for example Christmas week, it is possible that the price will go down in order to fill the ship- So you might get a good rate-you can call it a discount to upgrade.

However, it has been my experience if you book during peak periods the price goes up as the ship fills quickly.

Hope you are able to upgrade!

In any case, the Oasis is a wonderful ship and you will love it!

Enjoy your cruise

[quote name='fwman']I booked a standard room with ocean view balcony in late July. If I wait to the last minute and they have a junior suite still available, would they give some type of discount for the upgrade?

Thanks!!!!![/QUOTE]

By last minute, I assume you mean at final payment date based on the fact that you already have a standard room booked. If at that time you upgrade to a JS, you will pay the prevailing rate for that stateroom and there will be no discount offered to do so.

If you wish to upgrade after final payment, you can do so just as long as the rate for the JS at the time (discounted by sale pricing or otherwise) would require some form of payment in addition to your current rate and there is no restriction to do so based on "for new bookings only" or some other restrictive language.

But they will not offer a discount per se just for you to upgrade - it will just be at the prevailing rate.

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']By last minute, I assume you mean at final payment date based on the fact that you already have a standard room booked. If at that time you upgrade to a JS, you will pay the prevailing rate for that stateroom and there will be no discount offered to do so.

If you wish to upgrade after final payment, you can do so just as long as the rate for the JS at the time (discounted by sale pricing or otherwise) would require some form of payment in addition to your current rate and there is no restriction to do so based on "for new bookings only" or some other restrictive language.

But they will not offer a discount per se just for you to upgrade - it will just be at the prevailing rate.[/quote]

Yes at the "prevailing" rate. I have upgraded after final payment and pay the prevailing rate which may be much less then if I booked it orginally. However, typically you get a guarantee and some people might not like that as the ideal suites book up quickly- however, I have never had a suite that I didn't like. We once had been assigned handicapped suite which was fine. We were assigned it as no handicapped person wanted it.

[SIZE="3"]When we went on Oasis there were several suites available right up to the very end. When we asked for an upgrade when we checked in at the pier they directed us to the pier coordinator. We thought we were finally going to score a free upgrade but much to my dismay they were selling upgrades for thousands of dollars. I can't imagine anyone coming up with that kind of money on the dock. I checked again on board and all I received was the "no upgrades available" speech. So, good luck with getting an upgrade. Hopefully they will have a fire sale on the unsold suites and you can score one at a great price.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Priusprof'][SIZE="3"]When we went on Oasis there were several suites available right up to the very end. When we asked for an upgrade when we checked in at the pier they directed us to the pier coordinator.[B] We thought we were finally going to score a free upgrade but much to my dismay they were selling upgrades for thousands of dollars.[/B] I can't imagine anyone coming up with that kind of money on the dock. I checked again on board and all I received was the "no upgrades available" speech. So, good luck with getting an upgrade. Hopefully they will have a fire sale on the unsold suites and you can score one at a great price.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

...which to the OP's question of whether a late upgrade would be be offered at a discount supports the answers thus far of "no"! While the upgrade value may be at a price lower than at an earlier time, the price for a late upgrade will be at it's current market value. :(

RCI tends to offer their rare non-revenue upgrades to their C & A D+ and Pinnacle tier passengers first - and often to them only. And those are usually done about a week prior to sailing. Any other late upgrade will usually be a revenue upgrade as your example indicates. Edited by leaveitallbehind

We usually cruise RC and have never had a free upgrade but 4years ago we booked a cheap inside cabin on Princess with our daughter and SIL. We had I think it was 4 upgrades and ended up with a nice balcony at the far back if the ship. Not only was we upgraded but each time we got upgraded our DD was also upgraded. What a great time we had. And thank You Princess.

[quote name='leaveitallbehind']...which to the OP's question of whether a late upgrade would be be offered at a discount supports the answers thus far of "no"! While the upgrade value may be at a price lower than at an earlier time, the price for a late upgrade will be at it's current market value. :(

RCI tends to offer their rare non-revenue upgrades to their C & A D+ and Pinnacle tier passengers first - and often to them only. And those are usually done about a week prior to sailing. Any other late upgrade will usually be a revenue upgrade as your example indicates.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]One of our friends received an upgrade from a GS to a CL for $70. That was a great offer![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Priusprof'][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]One of our friends received an upgrade from a GS to a CL for $70. That was a great offer![/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

We also received a similar offer on Oasis a couple of years ago from a D8 to a GS for a similarly very low upgrade cost. But - just to confirm the theme from the OP - it was at the prevailing rate then offered as a late booking price for the remaining GS's on board, and not a "discount" offered to upgrade. But it was great and our party jumped on them! :) Edited by leaveitallbehind

Mine wasn't so much an "offer" but me checking prices still after final payment was made. A week after I went from a balcony room to a Junior Suite for only $40 pp, then two weeks later I got a Grand Suite for $200 more per person which was not as great but it was the cheapest we would ever get a Grand Suite on Oasis so we jumped at it.

[quote name='kris4842'][B]Mine wasn't so much an "offer" [/B]but me checking prices still after final payment was made. A week after I went from a balcony room to a Junior Suite for only $40 pp, then two weeks later I got a Grand Suite for $200 more per person which was not as great but it was the cheapest we would ever get a Grand Suite on Oasis so we jumped at it.[/QUOTE]

Bad choice of words on my part. We weren't "offered" it either in that nobody from RCi contacted us about it. It was a published price on the web site and when we saw it and contacted RCI, they confirmed it and "offered" to allow us to upgrade to it. :)

Sorry if that was misleading! Edited by leaveitallbehind

• 1 year later...
[SIZE="4"]I'm taking my hubby on Oasis for his birthday and have booked a JS. We have always had balconies in the past so this was a big leap financially. I now see that the JS category doesn't get any of the perks that full suites do, just the extra point per night. When do you suggest I try to upgrade to a GS? It's a Thanksgiving cruise so I'm not sure if that hurts or helps me. I am willing to pay more.
-Katie[/SIZE]

[quote name='katidid213'][SIZE="4"]I'm taking my hubby on Oasis for his birthday and have booked a JS. We have always had balconies in the past so this was a big leap financially. I now see that the JS category doesn't get any of the perks that full suites do, just the extra point per night. When do you suggest I try to upgrade to a GS? It's a Thanksgiving cruise so I'm not sure if that hurts or helps me. I am willing to pay more.

-Katie[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Check you cruise and create mock bookings to check the price. Look for price drops. I have found drops between Sunday and Tuesday. What ship are you on?

There are sites out there that can help but I haven't found them particularly helpful. Edited by CaribSailor

We booked 16 months out for Thanksgiving 2014. The price went down soon (2-3 months) after we booked so we canceled and rebooked. After that the cabins did nothing but go up in price and sometimes $100's of in a weeks time.

I would book early and then watch for the price to go down at least a year out, any time after that they will just go up.

BTW: we (bro & I) booked OS and CLS originally at $9000. Within 1-2 months they went down to $6800, so we rebooked.

From there on the cabins did nothing but go up and by final payment they were just less than $10,000.

If there is anyway to swing it you need a "gold card". The perks are awesome the Concierge Lounge and Costal Kitchen are fantastic.

[quote name='katidid213'][SIZE="4"]I'm taking my hubby on Oasis for his birthday and have booked a JS. We have always had balconies in the past so this was a big leap financially. I now see that the JS category doesn't get any of the perks that full suites do, just the extra point per night. When do you suggest I try to upgrade to a GS? It's a Thanksgiving cruise so I'm not sure if that hurts or helps me. I am willing to pay more.
-Katie[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Per previous posters, I booked a Grand Suite and not only was the cabin much nicer and larger, but we loved all of the perks that the Concierge lounge offered as well as the Costal Kitchen. It was such a treat. We also got priority access to all of the shows- nice to just walk in.

We will probably not take a Grand Suite too often, but when we can will truly enjoy it.

Hope that you can swing it at it is a great experience!