Room McKinley Chalet - Denali

Jim Henry

My family and I just returned from HAL sea-land cruise to Alaska. It was fantastic! Only problem we had was after being gone all day on the Tundra Wilderness Tour, we returned to our room at the McKinley Chalet at midnight and our room was not made up. All towels were removed but no new towels. I called the front desk and she apologized and brought fresh towels. But when I returned home a friend who stayed there said, they don't make up the rooms until after you stay is done. Is that true? If so I wonder why the clerk didn't say that too me when I told her of the problem? NOTE: In my evaluation to HAL after the trip I told them of this problem but I have not received a response. I find it had to believe any hotel would not make up a room on a daily basis.

Unless the guest specifically states that they do not want their room attended to by housekeeping, it is SOP for housekeeping to make-up/refresh the room daily.

Sounds like a housekeeper is looking to join the unemployed line. And, maybe the Room Supervisor as well!

I know this is an odd question, but what quality are the towels? Motel style thin and small? Or resort style fluffy and big?

Did you have breakfast at the McKinley Chalets? If so. what was your opinion of it?

Edited by chrismch

You had a loooong day!! I returned from a Tundra tour at about 2pm and my room was made up. It was good you said something for the sake of future guests. I found the towels to be the ordinary kind, which was ok. Really liked the large shower.

I know this is an odd question, but what quality are the towels? Motel style thin and small? Or resort style fluffy and big?
I don't recall anything extraordinary about them, so I guess they were just typical hotel towels.
Did you have breakfast at the McKinley Chalets? If so. what was your opinion of it?
Quality average, price high - like everything in AK. Very busy, so slow service. Edited by catl331

My family and I just returned from HAL sea-land cruise to Alaska. It was fantastic! Only problem we had was after being gone all day on the Tundra Wilderness Tour, we returned to our room at the McKinley Chalet at midnight and our room was not made up. All towels were removed but no new towels. I called the front desk and she apologized and brought fresh towels. But when I returned home a friend who stayed there said, they don't make up the rooms until after you stay is done. Is that true? If so I wonder why the clerk didn't say that too me when I told her of the problem? NOTE: In my evaluation to HAL after the trip I told them of this problem but I have not received a response. I find it had to believe any hotel would not make up a room on a daily basis.

We stayed there for several days on a HAL tour & our room was made up each day..

Believe, someone really goofed up!

You had a loooong day!! I returned from a Tundra tour at about 2pm and my room was made up. It was good you said something for the sake of future guests. I found the towels to be the ordinary kind, which was ok. Really liked the large shower.

Please note we didn't start the tour until 3PM. But get this...we had no TV remote in the room. Not a big deal. But I told the front desk the next day and they said they would take care of it, but they didn't. So no remote or towels when we returned!:eek: